ok guys here my dilemma. i currently am running a 8330 on verizon and i plan on switching to ATT once i turn 18 but my question is.
    i really like the bold but im a apple guy and i really like the iphone 3gs
    now i know some difference between them but i like being able to jail brake the iphone and being able to fully customize it to how i like.
    plus i LOVE the browser which the BB lack greatly at.
    now with the blackberry ive heard they are the best for emailing which i dont do a lot of most are junk mail and i just delete em anyways

so this is what i would like to know
    how durable do you feelt he iphone is compared to BB bold
    how is the coverage and can you keep 3g

and anything else
    i live in central ohio so if you live there and have the iphone id love to know how it performs for you
    07-29-09 10:13 AM
    Keep in mind, the iPhone is a touchscreen phone, the entire front of the phone is a glass screen, drop it enough times and it's going to break, you will have this problem with any phone of this class. Otherwise, I find the phone quite durable and the screen is highly scratch resistant, I don't baby any of my phones. But if you drop a Bold and an iPhone from the same distance, you have a better chance of not destroying the phone with the Bold.

As far as reception goes, i've only used my iPhone around downtown Cincinnati and the airport area and had no issues. These are of course the best possible places for coverage. I would check
    Cell Phone Carriers - AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile and Verizon

for real user reviews on cell phone coverage and dead spots for major cities.
    07-29-09 10:29 AM
    alright ya i know its a glass front with a touch screen but ive had my curve for almost a yr and never dropped it *knock on wood*
    also i think if i had the iphone id get one of those plastic covers

my next question would be what makes the email on the iphone SO BAD!
    07-29-09 10:32 AM
    alright ya i know its a glass front with a touch screen but ive had my curve for almost a yr and never dropped it *knock on wood*
    also i think if i had the iphone id get one of those plastic covers

my next question would be what makes the email on the iphone SO BAD!

I don't think it's bad at all. If you are using web based email account like Gmail, AOL, Hotmail, etc, then your mail will not be pushed to you like a Blackberry does. You will have to check the server every x minutes to look for new messages, the minimum time is 15 minutes.

Yahoo pushes mail to your iPhone, but it's the only web-based email that does push, the rest all do fetch.

If you are connected to an exchange server, then I find iPhone email to be superior to a Blackberry on BIS, because you can wirelessly sync your entire inbox. Let me know if you need more specific info
    07-29-09 10:44 AM
    I don't want to be presumptuous, but as an 18 year old, unless you run your own business, I doubt that the emails you send and receive will really benefit or suffer from choosing a Blackberry over an iPhone. Since you don't do a lot of emailing, you don't really need push email.

I've played with the Bold and it's pretty durable, and it has that soft leather back, but the iPhone feels very solid in the hand. It could break since it has a large glass front, but you should get a case for it so that this does not happen.

You can check a coverage map to see how 3G on Verizon compares with 3G on ATT in Central Ohio.

If I were 18 and had to choose between a Bold and an iPhone, I would definitely choose the iPhone.
    Last edited by mdude85; 07-29-09 at 11:29 AM.
    07-29-09 11:27 AM
    The iPhone is pretty well made, but so is the Bold.

If it came down to a crash test, the Bold would most likely come out the victor.

But if I put each phone in my pocket with keys- the iPhone would come out unscathed, the Bold would most definitely come out with a scratched up screen.

My Bold holds onto 3G better than my iPhone 3Gs.

It's been widely documented that the iPhone has issues keeping its grip on 3G.

Hope that helps.
    07-29-09 11:27 AM
    Never had any issues with 3G anywhere in Florida.. it is location dependant; always 4-5 bars and excellent reception. Can't compare to bOld because I haven't had real world experience with it.

My iPhone is on 3G about 70% of the time (never drops..rock solid) and Wifi 30%. It has never seen edge pretty much.

I would also add the iPhone is the best built phone in the market today.. so solid.. I have dropped my 2G, 3G plenty of times.. floor, concrete.. etc.. glass comes out perfect, 3GS is a different story.
    Last edited by Entertainment72; 07-29-09 at 11:50 AM.
    07-29-09 11:47 AM
    I would also add the iPhone is the best built phone in the market today.. so solid.. I have dropped my 2G, 3G plenty of times.. floor, concrete.. etc.. glass comes out perfect, 3GS is a different story.
    What do you mean by that?
    07-29-09 11:54 AM
    Yeah I don't know what you are talking about. The 3GS has the same build quality as the 3G since the materials and shell are exactly the same. Only the internal hardware is different.
    07-29-09 12:38 PM
    Maybe that was in reference to the new camera-

It seems like it rattles on the inside, unlike the 3G.
    07-29-09 12:40 PM
    hmm this decission makes this really tough
    as for the comment about my emails i agree that i dont send to maby important emails but i do deisgn websites and have a small client base but its nothing super important. i also use yahoo for my email so i guess then there really isnt much a problem there

well hopefully when i turn 18 this decision will get easier as ima try and get a job at our local apple store and if i do then i will get the iphone not a doubt in my mind
    07-29-09 09:39 PM
    07-29-09 10:25 PM
    durabilty like dropping and stuff isnt a big deal to me as i try and take very good care of my phones..they are like a child to me so i try not to drop them but accidents to occasionally happen
    07-29-09 10:40 PM
    It will most likely survive the occasional accident, just don't drop it face down on cement from a high distance
    07-29-09 11:42 PM
    even if you crack the glass, or the touch stops, it only cost 30$ to replace the glass/digitizer(touch sensor)... so don't worry to much about that...
    07-30-09 02:28 AM
    hmm this decission makes this really tough
    as for the comment about my emails i agree that i dont send to maby important emails but i do deisgn websites and have a small client base but its nothing super important. i also use yahoo for my email so i guess then there really isnt much a problem there

well hopefully when i turn 18 this decision will get easier as ima try and get a job at our local apple store and if i do then i will get the iphone not a doubt in my mind
    I don't think it will matter too much. When I was in high school, I designed websites for a small client base as well, and I did not even have a cell phone. So it can be done without a Blackberry

The iPhone checks every 15 minutes for emails on Gmail. If you have other email (Yahoo, MobileMe, MS Exchange, etc), then the email is pushed (instant).
    07-30-09 09:48 AM
    ya so the email on the iphone is fine cuz i dont use gmail cuz i dont like it.
    i think im deff getting the iphone now as i dont see why not to for what i use the phone for and i love the browser on it. thats like the main selling point

now i just got to wait till mid october and save some money cuz i have a feeling ATT is gonna make me pay extra since i have no credit and i think they do a credit check
    07-30-09 11:59 AM
    If you have no credit now, and if you don't have any lines of credit (e.g. a credit card) you still won't have any credit by October.

Your best bet might be to co-sign on the account with your parents, who probably have the credit necessary to establish an account. The account will still be in your name and your responsibility.

That said, I agree with you that the iPhone browser is in a different universe from the Blackberry browser, even coming from the Storm which has the most iPhone-like browsing experience.
    07-30-09 12:03 PM
    ya i dont have any credit and prob wont by then ether altho i know my dad was talking about putitng me on his credit card to id get eall good credit. i guess we will have to wait and see when the time comes
    07-30-09 12:36 PM
    For sheer dependability, the Bold wins out. I can carry an extra battery and change it if I need to and don't have access to a plug.
    For sheer fun, the iPhone can't be beat.

If I were an 18 year old who can afford a great phone and who is not yet saddled with all the realities andn responsibilities of the of the adult world, I'd get an iPhone.

As an adult who needs to be immediately accessible, who needs to br able to receive, send, manipulate attachments and has to have a battery that runs 3G and push, I stick with my Bold.

I loved my iPhone for the 29 days I had it, but I turned it back because the battery life was so bad that I could not get more than a day and a half (if I got lucky) of use, and for that I had to turn off 3G, WiFi, push, screen brightness, local settings.....in short, everything that made the phone great.
    07-30-09 03:03 PM

As an adult who needs to be immediately accessible, who needs to br able to receive, send, manipulate attachments and has to have a battery that runs 3G and push, I stick with my Bold.
    I don't want to troll, but I found the Blackberry to be incredibly poor at receiving, sending and manipulating attachments, at least with the Storm. The iPhone opens documents, especially PDFs, beautifully, and there are a lot of apps like QuickOffice available for manipulating these files.

I agree though, the iPhone seems to have really poor battery life.

Also, adults can use iPhones
    07-30-09 04:10 PM
    well i was watching videos of the iphone email in actions and ima say it looks to be 100 times better then the blackberry
    as for battery i just need it to last from bout 6AM to 10 or so at night cuz i charge my phone everynight
    07-30-09 07:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD