And a 2011 Tahoe isnt an upgrade from a 1986 LaBaron ......
    Perhaps you meant....Cordoba!

10-19-11 07:44 PM
    I actually switched from an iphone 4 to a bold 9930. Signal strength, not receiving emails, not receiving Facebook notifications, I could go on. It seems they're making some good improvements with ios5 and the iphone 4s. But, personally I don't think I'd go back. Atleast just yet. I may miss the better music player, web browser, and camera but I can manage for now.

I heard when you get a text message now you no longer have to go straight to that text message. Is that true? That was a big deal breaker for me. Also not being able to use my own music for text tones. I always like knowing who is texting me. BlackBerry very much gives me that freedom.
    jiggaman2g likes this.
    12-15-11 12:28 PM
    That was a fair and balanced review. I also have run into issues syncing my Google contacts both on the blackberry and the iPhone. I switched entirely to ICloud for contacts (and calendar) and I've been very pleased since. No duplicates and field mapping is perfect. You might want to give it a shot for a week or two, you can always revert back.

The thing I miss the most about the BlackBerry is the reliability of notifications for all applications. Apples notification system is not the best.

Sent from my iPhone4s using Tapatalk
    12-15-11 12:57 PM
    I made the jump to the iPhone world on Friday and have spent the better part of the weekend setting it up, testing it out, and well...using it. So far, so good but it isn't perfect.

I was a loyal Blackberry user, since 2000. I started on the pager style and have owned almost every type of device, with my last being a 9650 Bold on Verizon. I have always been satisfied with BB but the past few years have been frustrating i.e. lack of apps, media support, hardware design, etc. Still I have always felt that BB was the best email and phone out there, but we all knUow our phones are more than that these days.

So here is my take on the iPhone 4S since making the switch on Friday. I'm going to not try and focus on the hardware differences, we know what they are, iPhone fast, BB has a QWERTY, blah, blah, blah...

The Good
    The apps - a huge leap forward, more to choose from, better support. A ton of junk of course, but there are some solid, must have apps that are a big help. Might be the main advantage.

Media - this thing plays everything and looks good doing it. Netflix, HBO GO, not to mention how well it looks on the screen. I used my BB only for music in the past.

Call quality - calls are nice and clear. Better than my Bold.

Integration - iOS is well thought out putting things where you expect them across features. Contacts, maps, search, reminders, notification, voice, gps, all tie together quite well and across external apps too. This might be one of the best features.

Attachments - the iPhone behaves more like a laptop than a phone, so you can manage docs better, edit them easier, and sync with your pc easier.

Wifi Sync - once you get everything loaded, you can just make updates over wifi for your media, apps, etc. via iTunes. Works nicely.

Camera - amazing. Lots of functionality built in and the quality is mid range point and shoot.

Browsing - pages render fast and better than my old BB, no checkerboarding.

Auto-correct - works very well and will get most misspellings on the fly.

The not so good
    Contact sync - for whatever reason, you can't easily eliminate duplicates. I have work and gmail set up on my iPhone, so I had duplicate contacts, so many that I turned off sync via iphone to gmail. I used to use exchange on my bb for work and then google sync for bb to gmail contacts, worked out very well, changes were seen in all three places. You can't do that on the iPhone, no way to have a two way sync between the iPhone and each place from a single contact folder on the iPhone. I have a workaround but it's clunky.

Email & Calendar - both devices have their benefits but overall the iPhone is no great leap here. Individual items render better on the iPhone, but it was easier to scan email and calendar on the BB.

Notifications - iOS is moving in the right direction but needs to steal a page from BB (and Andriod) and put some small icons in the top nav. The little email, txt, and missed call icons on my BB were perfect. iOS uses the notifications that flip up, the drop down tray, and the badge updates on the individual application. The problem is that I have to drag the tray down to check them or go to the app to see the badge. There is no quick summary, big miss here. They are getting there with the tray, but need a summary of all notifications somehow.

The keyboard - some BB users would expect me to rip on this but it's a touch screen, so I will work with it. That said it is better than I thought, I was expecting the worse. I am getting faster on it. Nothing compares to a QWERTY on a BB.

Siri - it needs a central server and many times can't connect or sends back an error. When it does work, it does for small tasks but you aren't going to be writing your autobiography on it. I'm sure it will improve but it's overhyped at the moment.

The Bad
    No sound profiles - huge miss here. You can customize sounds and alerts to the max, but you can't set up a profile. This is big for the business user who might need to go silent for a meeting or a quiet mode for bedside. Changing the setting each time or hammering the volume down button as your phone rings in the theater is plain silly. And I think there is no "vibrate only" for the phone on the iPhone, huh?

LED light - sure your phone can buzz and flash a notification on the screen but what if you are out of the room for a minute? You come back and your phone is still a blank screen with no clue that something changed. That iconic LED light on the BB is a huge loss.

Separate email signatures - why can't you do this on the iPhone? Seems silly that you can't set up separate ones for each email account you have, you could on the BB for years. Poor execution here.

No longpress caps - wtf? This one should be a no-brainer, how you simply press a key down longer on the BB and blam! caps! Not on the iPhone, you need to hit a shift key every time. It will place a cap at the start of a sentence and recognized many proper nouns but try writing "ID" or "StartUpCompany". Of course it auto corrects "iPhone".

Wrap-up
    So would I go back to a Blackberry? Maybe but not now. RIM needs to think about what a smartphone is. Most of what I like about the iPhone is all the non-business stuff, apps, media, etc., and that is what a lot of people use their phones for. And the business stuff, there isn't enough stuff missing or the experience so poor on the iPhone that I would go back.

And the apps are a huge game changer for me. A ton of useful business ones, a lots of good ones for every day, and of course good games. If I could name one reason to get an iPhone, it would be the apps. Everyone makes an iPhone app, but only some make a BB version.

If you only carry one device, the iPhone does most of what you need it to. It's hardly perfect but for me, it is better than the Blackberry. But not by a huge margin. Come on RIM, you CAN do this. You have two years from Friday, when my upgrade comes due
    exactly what I think! Was bb loyal since 01! Almost cried when I switch. But bb is so far behind. And having fast email ain't with the other problems! And I so miss my funny ringtones!
    12-18-11 06:52 AM
    I heard when you get a text message now you no longer have to go straight to that text message. Is that true?
    You can set up notifications so that they show up on the screen as before or as a banner at the top. Then you can go to that text when you feel like it; until then you can get a quick look through a pull-down notification bar. Still needs tweaking IMO but better than before.

Also not being able to use my own music for text tones. I always like knowing who is texting me.
    Yes, you can do this with iOS5. You do have to make the text/ring tone from your music first, though.
    owlyn likes this.
    12-18-11 10:22 AM
    I too went from using BBs for a long time (and WinMo before that and Palm OS before <that>) to an iPhone and although I'm no fawning fanboy and am circumspect in my device usage, I'll say the iOS platform is SO far above the BB OS, there's really no comparison at this point. Maybe BB10 will change things, but you'd have to expect Apple to continue to improve and make changes as well, so there's really no reason to believe that RIM can magically leapfrog iOS and Android over the next 12 months.

So what makes me say iOS is better than the BlackBerry OS, and why is the iPhone better for me, than any BB device? The first thing is that iOS is so much better than BB OS - obviously more stable, easier to install and upgrade apps (what? You mean I don't have to reboot the device with every new app upgrade? Amazing!). What? You mean the device doesn't spontaneously reboot, or give me some sort of spinning circle? Huh. (and I was using a Torch as my last BB device).

I actually much prefer typing on the glass screen - I can fly across that flat surface much faster than having to seek out hardware keys. And yes I could type as quickly on my BB as anyone else. Loved the keys, but now I love the touchscreen.

I do miss separate sound notifications for different apps and email accounts, but I understand why Apple made that conscious decision - they design the device for the masses, and very few people using BBs took the time to change all those settings (those of us on this forum don't represent the average user - and Apple targets the average user, like it or not).

The only other thing I miss is the combined inbox for ALL messages and ALL types of incoming notifications like FB and Twitter, etc - but that's minor in light of all the other advantages that I get from the iPhone.

Do I feel like a sellout? Maybe, but I can live with that.

Is the iPhone the best thing ever? It's just a phone. I think some perspective is needed sometimes, really...
    12-18-11 08:12 PM
    i cant get a call down the basement.
    baterry dies quick.
    cant use bluethoot to transfer data (very basic)
    missing my bb already.
    good camera tought. the best
    12-18-11 09:30 PM
    I switched entirely to ICloud for contacts (and calendar) and I've been very pleased since. No duplicates and field mapping is perfect.
    I got my 4S eleven days ago from Sprint. It was the lack of BB (I had the Tour) synching to my Mac after iCloud was rolled out that was driving me nuts. I put up with the bugs in BB to Mac synching for years but now it is useless (iCal especially).

iCloud is like a dream come true. If it has bugs, and I'm sure it does, I have not yet experienced them. Contacts, calendar, notes, reminders, not to mention photos and music, are all synched wirelessly. No more duplicates, no more all day events being erroneously assigned to two consecutive days, etc. As xandermac stated, field mapping s perfect. Birthdays synch automatically and give you your chosen default alert time simply by entering the date in the "Birthday" contact field.

If BB did all this I would have the 9930, no doubt. A few tidbits follow:

I do miss the BB led, a lot. I am not nearly as "connected" to the iPhone due to its absence. Unless I pick it up the iPhone it's just a cold black brick. It doesn't speak to me like the BB did, Siri not withstanding. Blinking red led for email, green (BeBuzz) for text messages, that's all I want. Oh yeah I did have "disco" for incoming calls too.

There is no "Mark All Read" option in email. This is a drag. There also is no page down in the browser (I loved reading papers with Opera and by using the space bar page down feature with the BB). I get damn tired of finger scrolling, smooth as it is. I wish Apple would steal the Palm Pre's super feature of gestures outside the screen area.

The new Reader feature in Safari is marvelous for someone like me with aging eyes. You can adjust the Reader font to gigantic sizes. Mail, Calendar, Contacts, and Notes can have giant fonts as well (Accessibility setting). BB always did have that system wide font adjust which is fantastic.

The ringer is not quite as loud on the iPhone as my BB, nor the incoming call volume or alarms. I miss that.

Yes I loved the physical keyboard on the BB. I might consider one of these for my iPhone.

Amazon.com: BoxWave Keyboard Buddy iPhone 4/4S Case - Backlit Edition (Jet Black): Cell Phones & Accessories

But the truth is the software keyboard with auto correct is very nice and quite polished. I'm willing to give it a shot mainly because of the flawless synching. I guess that must be my main priority. Im not sure if BB is to blame. Could be Apple did this intentionally and BB had no way to foresee it. Apple wanted me to buy an iPhone so they sabotaged syncing with my BB. Well if that is the case Apple's strategy worked.

If BB finds a way to synch (flawlessly) with iCloud, I could conceivably come back. I always liked having an "adult" BB in a room full of "kids" iPhones. But I doubt that is going to happen, sorry to say.
    Last edited by galavanter; 12-25-11 at 07:51 PM.
    12-25-11 07:48 PM
    It's interesting, different strokes for different folks. I have icloud sync disabled, as I don't want any of my personal 'bits' floating round the ether. I do a backup the old fashioned way via usb through itunes. Hopefully apple learned since the ipad accounts were hacked way back when, but I can't seem to trust the "cloud" with any more of personna than necessary.
    12-26-11 04:50 PM
    Good honest review. The irony is if this review was in a BB thread the OP would have beaten and flogged by now.....
    LOL!
    Quite true
    12-26-11 10:30 PM
    Another shortcoming is the lack of a week-view in the native calendar, Again, there are loads of apps to provide this functionality, including Deja Office, but it would be nice if the iPhone calndar were more robust.
    I have not read the entire thread yet and somebody might have responded but, you just flip the calendar view to landscape mode, and there it is, the week view.
    xandermac likes this.
    12-26-11 10:42 PM
    I got my 4S eleven days ago from Sprint. It was the lack of BB (I had the Tour) synching to my Mac after iCloud was rolled out that was driving me nuts. I put up with the bugs in BB to Mac synching for years but now it is useless (iCal especially).

iCloud is like a dream come true. If it has bugs, and I'm sure it does, I have not yet experienced them. Contacts, calendar, notes, reminders, not to mention photos and music, are all synched wirelessly. No more duplicates, no more all day events being erroneously assigned to two consecutive days, etc. As xandermac stated, field mapping s perfect. Birthdays synch automatically and give you your chosen default alert time simply by entering the date in the "Birthday" contact field.

If BB did all this I would have the 9930, no doubt. A few tidbits follow:

I do miss the BB led, a lot. I am not nearly as "connected" to the iPhone due to its absence. Unless I pick it up the iPhone it's just a cold black brick. It doesn't speak to me like the BB did, Siri not withstanding. Blinking red led for email, green (BeBuzz) for text messages, that's all I want. Oh yeah I did have "disco" for incoming calls too.

There is no "Mark All Read" option in email. This is a drag. There also is no page down in the browser (I loved reading papers with Opera and by using the space bar page down feature with the BB). I get damn tired of finger scrolling, smooth as it is. I wish Apple would steal the Palm Pre's super feature of gestures outside the screen area.

The new Reader feature in Safari is marvelous for someone like me with aging eyes. You can adjust the Reader font to gigantic sizes. Mail, Calendar, Contacts, and Notes can have giant fonts as well (Accessibility setting). BB always did have that system wide font adjust which is fantastic.

The ringer is not quite as loud on the iPhone as my BB, nor the incoming call volume or alarms. I miss that.

Yes I loved the physical keyboard on the BB. I might consider one of these for my iPhone.

Amazon.com: BoxWave Keyboard Buddy iPhone 4/4S Case - Backlit Edition (Jet Black): Cell Phones & Accessories

But the truth is the software keyboard with auto correct is very nice and quite polished. I'm willing to give it a shot mainly because of the flawless synching. I guess that must be my main priority. Im not sure if BB is to blame. Could be Apple did this intentionally and BB had no way to foresee it. Apple wanted me to buy an iPhone so they sabotaged syncing with my BB. Well if that is the case Apple's strategy worked.

If BB finds a way to synch (flawlessly) with iCloud, I could conceivably come back. I always liked having an "adult" BB in a room full of "kids" iPhones. But I doubt that is going to happen, sorry to say.
    I tried that keyboard at my local office depot. It was horrible and added so much thickness to the iPhone. I'd go try it locally before ordering because it's nothing like having a built in hardware keyboard.

Sent from my iPhone4s using Tapatalk
    12-27-11 07:51 AM
    I remember when I switched from the Bold 9650 to the iPhone 4, it was like night and day. So glad I made that move.
    12-27-11 08:05 PM
    This is an awesome tip, I had no idea!

I have not read the entire thread yet and somebody might have responded but, you just flip the calendar view to landscape mode, and there it is, the week view.
    12-28-11 08:16 AM
64 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD