Hi

So basically I've been looking all over the internet trying to find out if its possible to switch my Blackberry Data Plan sim into my iPhone. Since I'm on O2-UK and their BB Unlimited Data seems to be actually unlimited, whereas the regular Unlimited Web has a 200MB limit!

So I've found the sticky at the top of this forum, although its a little outdated it seems OK. I've also found this on the O2 website:

Pay Monthly
    To change your data settings:

1. From the main screen of your iPhone, tap Settings > General > Network
    2. Tap �Cellular Data Network�.
    3. Under �Cellular Data�, tap APN and change �idata.o2.co.uk� to �mobile.o2.co.uk� (�o2� needs to be written with a letter �o�, not a zero). You don�t need to change your username and password.
    4. Ignore the APN box under �Visual Voicemail� � it�s not available if you don�t have an iPhone Pay Monthly tariff.
    5. Under MMS, tap APN and change �idata.o2.co.uk� to �wap.o2.co.uk� (�o2� needs to be written with a letter �o�, not a zero). You don�t need to change your username and password.
    6. Turn your iPhone off and on again.
    So my questions are:

A. Will this work?
    and
    B. What is the advantage of using the method in the sticky over the method posted on the O2 website?

I have a 3GS 3.1.3 by the way.

Cheers
    05-18-10 06:10 PM
    Just switch the sim card and don't worry about changing any data plan

http://forums.crackberry.com/f99/how...a-plan-348311/
    05-18-10 07:11 PM
    Just switch the sim card and don't worry about changing any data plan

http://forums.crackberry.com/f99/how...a-plan-348311/
    Okay thanks for the reply. So I just need to put my sim card in and follow the steps in that post to change my APN?

I still don't see the difference between changing the APN on the phone as detailed above or by going to the unlockme website?

Thanks
    05-19-10 02:29 AM
    Just change the APN with what's shown in that thread. All the APN unzipping is, is
    to let the phone enable WAP which your plan already has. Just choose the correct
    carrier and you're set to go.
    05-19-10 11:50 AM
    Thanks a lot. So basically I should just follow the reccomendations on the O2 website? And I don't need the unlockme website?

On the O2 website it says this:
    Want to get an iPhone? If you’re on O2 Pay & Go, or on O2 Pay Monthly (but not an iPhone tariff), read on.

If you’re on Pay Monthly but don’t have the iPhone Bolt On or a specific iPhone tariff, you won’t be able to use your iPhone properly until you change the settings.
    Does that sound like they are actually almost allowing use of Blackberry data on an iPhone?

Cheers for the help!

EDIT: Also, I saw people saying this wont work on 4.0, is this confirmed? And do you think there will be a workaround or anything? It would be a real pain if I couldn't do it when I update to 4.0
    Last edited by sketchhead; 05-19-10 at 12:25 PM.
    05-19-10 12:18 PM
    Just use the steps in that thread. Yeah, I don't think they care if you're using it
    on a BB data plan. It's the same price so as long as you pay they're not going to
    really care.

I have really no idea about if you'll be able to do it on 4.0 or not.
    05-19-10 12:33 PM
    Okay thanks alot! You've been a great help! Just as a last question: what is the difference between the steps on the O2 website (changing by going into the settings on the iPhone) or using unlockme.co.nz?

Cheers
    05-19-10 01:05 PM
    Just use the steps in that thread. Yeah, I don't think they care if you're using it
    on a BB data plan. It's the same price so as long as you pay they're not going to
    really care.

I have really no idea about if you'll be able to do it on 4.0 or not.
    It wont work on 4.0
    05-19-10 01:50 PM
    It wont work on 4.0
    Okay, would you perhaps be able to elaborate on why it wont work? And whether you think there could be a workaround? And I'm assuming you mean the 4.0 firmware not just the 4g iPhone.

Thanks
    05-19-10 01:58 PM
    It wont work on 4.0
    05-19-10 02:57 PM
    My feelings exactly. Hopefully there will be some sort of simple workaround. I can't see Apple implementing their most high tech security to prevent people using a BB data plan... I think they have more pressing issues such as piracy to worry about!

EDIT: On the unlockme.co.nz site they have a link to their Twitter, which the latest post was:

Now working with the #iphone 4.0 beta 3. Unlockit - APN Changer for your iPhone. APN Changer for iPhone/iPad
    Perhaps we have hope?
    Last edited by sketchhead; 05-19-10 at 03:33 PM. Reason: EDIT
    05-19-10 03:16 PM
    EDIT: On the unlockme.co.nz site they have a link to their Twitter, which the latest post was:

Perhaps we have hope?
    Yes that gives us hope
    05-19-10 04:15 PM
    Thank goodness. I'm pretty sure Apple wouldn't make it so hard anyway. I think
    the data plan thing is more of an AT&T worry. Not necessarily because they want
    you on the correct data plan, but because they want you to be paying the $30
    for it. You can easily pay a $15 media net plan on an iPhone by unlocking the APN.
    That's what I think they care about more than anything.
    05-19-10 04:27 PM
    Yeah, most likely. Well looking more closely on the unlockit.co.nz site they had a post which described the issues with 4.0 and the settings not working, but then another which confirmed they had updated and it now worked with 4.0

So by the sounds of things we should be okay!
    Our profiles now work with iPhone 4.0 Beta 3.

If you are a developer running Beta 1 or 2 you should update to Beta 3 (as it fixes alot of problems in Beta 1 or 2) and this website will now work properly (.mobileconfig files now work but have to be slightly different than V3.x ones due to a couple of issues.

If you have any problems installing when running iPhone V4.0 Beta 3 please get in touch with me.
    Good to know

On a side note: Does anybody know if anyone has managed to get this working with the O2-UK carrier? My iPhone should be arriving in the morning and I'm anxious to try it out! But is there any reason why it wouldn't work?

Also, what is the advantage of using the unlockit site as oppose to just editing the settings manually on the phone?

Thanks
    05-19-10 04:36 PM
    Okay so I got my iPhone, changed the setting and I'm using my Blackberry sim card now. Everything appears to be working fine - I can call, text and browse the web. I've only been using it for a couple of hours but I've noticed a slight problem. Ive only had 3G connectivity twice and both times as soon as it said "3G" on the top bar the signal was very low and when I went to use Safari it changed back to EDGE and the signal went back up. Could this just be due to the area I'm in? I'll post back if anything changes!

Regards

EDIT: Just got off the phone with Customer Service and my data charges were last updated yesterday, and I have zero charges. Looks like its working OK

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by sketchhead; 05-22-10 at 05:19 AM.
    05-20-10 08:46 AM
    The area you're in. Nothing to do with the APN. Just the way the iPhone radio works.
    05-20-10 12:12 PM
    Thanks for the reply, I went to a different area, got 3G and did this speed test:

Does that look like a decent speed?

Oh and I spoke to customer services today and informed them of my situation. They said they didn't think a Blackberry sim would work in an iPhone, and that theres a possibility I could be charged.

The small print in my contract says:

# BlackBerry Internet Solution from O2 Unlimited allows you to send and receive as many emails as you like, surf the web using the BlackBerry browser and via O2 Active WAP browsing, get unlimited use of Yahoo!� Messenger instant messaging and download satellite navigation services in the UK only. On non RIM manufactured devices (BlackBerry Connect devices) web browsing depends on the browser you use. Some devices use O2 Mobile Web which is charged at an additional �1 per MB. All usage must be for your private, personal and non-commercial purposes. You may not use your SIM Card:

* to allow the continuous streaming of any audio / video content, enable Voice over Internet (Voip), P2P or file sharing; or
    * in such a way that adversely impacts the service to other O2 customers.

If O2 reasonably suspects you are not acting in accordance with this policy O2 reserves the right to impose further charges, impose network protection controls which may reduce your speed of transmission or disconnect your SIM or tariff at any time, having attempted to contact you first.
    So from reading this, I set my APN to "wap.o2.co.uk" which is the wap for O2 Active WAP (as mentioned in my contract).

Judging from those terms would you say that A.) I won't be charged and B.) The fair usage policy seems reasonable enough to use on an iPhone?

Thanks a lot - you guys have helped so much
    05-20-10 12:19 PM
    Thank goodness. I'm pretty sure Apple wouldn't make it so hard anyway. I think
    the data plan thing is more of an AT&T worry. Not necessarily because they want
    you on the correct data plan, but because they want you to be paying the $30
    for it. You can easily pay a $15 media net plan on an iPhone by unlocking the APN.
    That's what I think they care about more than anything.
    I run my iphone on a BB data plan. When i switch back from my 9700 to the iPhone, I will get texts from At&t for 2-3 days asking me to change my data plan to iPhone. The texts eventually stop and wont happen again until I switch my devices again. So to some point, they must care. I dont know why since the plans are both $30 and they are gettin gtheir money
    05-20-10 06:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD