Okay, any suggestions on the best Instant Message app for the 3G iPhone for use over data??? BeeJive and BB IM works great on my Curve but BeeJive not so much on the iPhone... Suggestions???
    07-16-08 12:34 AM
    There is only one app at the moment that provides IM and that is AIM.
    07-16-08 06:40 AM
    why does aim always disconnect evn if i'm under a wifi network?? It's reminding me of mobile im...LOL.

I was home and had my iphone set to my home wireless network. I logged into aim, and put up my away message then went to sleep. I woke up and i was no longer logged in. is it because the iphone went to sleep?? LOL maybe its just glitchy?? I liked how jivetalk never disconnected haha.
    07-16-08 01:12 PM
    why does aim always disconnect evn if i'm under a wifi network?? It's reminding me of mobile im...LOL.

I was home and had my iphone set to my home wireless network. I logged into aim, and put up my away message then went to sleep. I woke up and i was no longer logged in. is it because the iphone went to sleep?? LOL maybe its just glitchy?? I liked how jivetalk never disconnected haha.
    The iPhone doesn't allow 3rd party apps to run in the background at this time. AIM will keep you logged in after the app closes for 5 or 10 minutes I believe (unless you have it set to log you out on exit in the options), but after that it will automatically log you out.

WiFi cuts off to save power when the phone is in sleep mode as well.

Apple is rolling out a "push notification" service in early September to remedy this. When that services is out, it will work like this:

1. You leave AIM
    2. AIM logs you out on the phone, but the notification service runs on an outside server
    3. The notification server receives notice that you got a new message
    4. The server pushes the notification to your phone's AIM app, which gives you a notification (beep, vibrate, whatever...) as well as displays a badge next to the icon with the number of new messages (like Mail or SMS)
    5. You open AIM and it auto logs you in as it loads the app, giving the impression that it was always running, and you get your new messages

That is how it is supposed to work anyway. We will have to wait until September to see...
    07-16-08 02:44 PM
    oooh thats gonna be very nice craze when that happens!! i was getting a little frustrated thinking it was my settings or something .
    07-16-08 07:33 PM
    I'm sorry, but what's an iphone? Lol

BB is the only way! ;-I

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-16-08 08:51 PM
    The iPhone doesn't allow 3rd party apps to run in the background at this time.
    To me it sounds more like a "not ever". I mean if they are developing this whole framework for "push notification", they must really have no intention of allowing a background process (besides maybe a few of their own) to run.
    07-17-08 12:07 AM
    To me it sounds more like a "not ever". I mean if they are developing this whole framework for "push notification", they must really have no intention of allowing a background process (besides maybe a few of their own) to run.
    Hey i'll take ichat!! I was astonished o find out that iphones dont have iChat!! I looove ichat. At least the text messages look like ichat
    07-17-08 07:59 AM
    they need jivetalk as a app for the iPhone just as they do for the berries

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-20-08 09:19 PM
    they have jivetalk for the iphone, but it's a web based app.

you can find it here

Beejive | instant messaging, just about anywhere
    07-20-08 09:22 PM
    They really need to develop iChat for the iPhone...
    07-22-08 06:30 PM
    palringo is downloadable from the app store now for free...it supports all messenger
    08-02-08 12:40 PM
    palringo is downloadable from the app store now for free...it supports all messenger
    I was just going to post that...

Palringo Now Available for iPhone: Multi-Client IM FTW! | The iPhone Blog

I haven't d/led it as AIM is all I use.
    08-02-08 12:43 PM
    they have jivetalk for the iphone, but it's a web based app.

you can find it here

Beejive | instant messaging, just about anywhere
    beejive will be releasing beta app for the iPhone around sept.
    08-02-08 01:17 PM
    They all suck for now. But one that Hasn't been posted in here yet is meebo.com It works via the browser like all the others. sigh
    08-02-08 05:00 PM
    beejive will be releasing beta app for the iPhone around sept.

Did they ask for beta testers? I would love to send my UDID info to them.
    08-02-08 05:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD