I just recieved my new iphone 3gs and absolutely love it. It shipped w/ 3.01 so I'm not sure about jailbreaking it just yet. I hear purplera1n is the way to go and it's only available for 3.0. Anyway, comming from a blackberry storm, I'm looking for an alternative that is somewhat comparable to bbm(I know it's the best) that I can use google chat with. The two I have heard and read are the best are IM+ and beejive. What would you guys recommend? Also, both have push. Would this mean it would keep me logged in and show a msg on the icon when the app is closed?

Thanks for all the help!
    08-26-09 07:36 PM
    I just recieved my new iphone 3gs and absolutely love it. It shipped w/ 3.01 so I'm not sure about jailbreaking it just yet. I hear purplera1n is the way to go and it's only available for 3.0. Anyway, comming from a blackberry storm, I'm looking for an alternative that is somewhat comparable to bbm(I know it's the best) that I can use google chat with. The two I have heard and read are the best are IM+ and beejive. What would you guys recommend? Also, both have push. Would this mean it would keep me logged in and show a msg on the icon when the app is closed?

Thanks for all the help!
    Not sure about the IM stuff which I know is the topic of your post, so my apologies... But I did want to chime in on the jailbreak. You can use redsn0w for 3.0.1... here's a link to the iClarified tutorials (mac and pc):

iClarified - iPhone - How to Jailbreak Your iPhone 3GS on OS 3.0.x Using RedSn0w (Mac)
    iClarified - iPhone - How to Jailbreak Your iPhone 3GS on OS 3.0.x Using RedSn0w (Windows)

Also don't forget to get your ECID for future jailbreaks:

iClarified - iPhone - How to Capture Your iPhone 3GS iBEC and iBSS (Mac) [Updated]
    iClarified - iPhone - How to Capture Your iPhone 3GS iBEC and iBSS (Windows)
    08-26-09 07:45 PM
    thanks for the tip on jailbreaking sandos, looks like I'll need to read up a bit more on jailbreaking as I have no idea what ECID is
    08-26-09 07:58 PM
    Wanted to thank you as well for the links. Learned a lot that I didn't know before.

I wish there were iPhone tutorials like the 101 lecture series for BB's on here.
    08-26-09 08:20 PM
    From using both programs on the Bold, Beejive gets my vote. That's based on
    my experience using it on the Bold. I used the 30 day free trial and wasn't
    dissapointed. I am almost sure you won't be dissapointed.

As far as jailbreaking goes, I'd do it. I just got my 3GS on Monday and
    jailbroke it within 2 hours of getting it. Backrounder makes it very worth it.
    Plus backrounder will work well for you if you're using any of those IM clients.
    08-26-09 08:41 PM
    I would recommend beejive. Its a great app, I use it everyday, and I feel it has a much better interface than IM+

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-26-09 10:09 PM
    Still researching the two, will probably wait until one goes on sale. I hear stuff goes on sale often??

I've been messing around with the new phone half the night and wow, I can't stop asking myself why I waited so long to make the purchase

08-26-09 10:33 PM
    thanks for the tip on jailbreaking sandos, looks like I'll need to read up a bit more on jailbreaking as I have no idea what ECID is
    I mixed up the ECID's role in the whole thing, but it's part and what the things are that you're needing to capture for the future are explained in the first devteam post on this page: http://blog.iphone-dev.org/page/5

08-26-09 11:11 PM
    Wanted to thank you as well for the links. Learned a lot that I didn't know before.

I wish there were iPhone tutorials like the 101 lecture series for BB's on here.
    iClarified is awesome for tutorials on all things Apple... Especially for tutorials on things Apple wishes you wouldn't do (which of course in 99% of cases are not illegal).

08-26-09 11:14 PM
    beejive all the way. much better interface.
    08-27-09 01:24 AM
    they both do the same things.

One is $5 (IM+) and the other is $10. how much do you feel an IM app is worth?

Personally $10 is overpriced when the competitor is half as much and has the same features
    08-27-09 01:26 AM
    they both do the same things.

One is $5 (IM+) and the other is $10. how much do you feel an IM app is worth?

Personally $10 is overpriced when the competitor is half as much and has the same features

they both show 9.99 in the appstore for me??
    08-27-09 07:16 AM
    they both show 9.99 in the appstore for me??
    IM+ had a sale in which is now over. With both of them being $9.99 now, it's hard to say which is better.

I actually made the switch from BeeJiveIM to IM+ and felt it was a lot better. A few reasons were:

Twitter push
    Push notifications in general were faster on IM+ (had both running)
    I started to like the UI more. BeeJive at times seems like it's too much.

The con with IM+ is the slow reconnection time. When you click view to see the message, it seems to take as much as 10 seconds to reconnect, whereas BeeJive seems to be within 3-4 seconds. Within being the keyword, it's usually faster.

I started using IM+ push to eliminate the use of two two twitter clients. I was using one for push and the other for features. With IM+, I was able to just use the twitter client with features and the other for push. I may just go back to 3 clients as the reconnection time is definitely annoying the crap out of me.
    08-27-09 09:15 AM
    ahhh ok didnt know the sale was over, my bad. Before it was a no brainer I think I got it for like $3 5 or 6 weeks ago on sale, so it was much cheaper than Beejive.

And I agree the biggest fault in IM+ is reconnection time, its very slow.
    08-27-09 10:35 AM
    Why in the world is beejive only $10 but for blackberry it's $30
    08-27-09 10:57 AM
    Why in the world is beejive only $10 but for blackberry it's $30
    Fixed the BB price... that's how it is when it comes to iPhone apps vs. BB apps. Check out Docs2Go. Lol.
    08-27-09 12:03 PM
    Fixed the BB price... that's how it is when it comes to iPhone apps vs. BB apps. Check out Docs2Go. Lol.
    Yes I noticed that the other day as well!
    08-27-09 12:13 PM
    BeejiveIM is the best had it for Iphone 3G and now on my Bold...
    08-27-09 12:25 PM
    iClarified is awesome for tutorials on all things Apple... Especially for tutorials on things Apple wishes you wouldn't do (which of course in 99% of cases are not illegal).

Thank you for your help, again.
    08-27-09 12:54 PM
    Beejive hands down. Now that I'm using my Bold again (looking at 5.0.0.190), I wish I had Beejive on here as well.
    08-27-09 03:33 PM
    the only problem with beejive is that it randomly signs itself out. Then when I open the app, it logs back in.
    08-27-09 07:28 PM
    the only problem with beejive is that it randomly signs itself out. Then when I open the app, it logs back in.
    go into settings (from the springboard, not within the app) and set the time out to 7 days (max).
    08-27-09 07:53 PM
    well guys, I decided to buy beejive. Thanks for all the help. I can say that this is exactly what I was looking for!
    08-27-09 09:31 PM
    I have beejive and I like it alot. Worth the cash.
    08-27-09 09:44 PM
    go into settings (from the springboard, not within the app) and set the time out to 7 days (max).
    awesome, thanks
    08-28-09 12:03 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD