Ted, what is going to happen after June 22? Will you start charging for the app?
    06-15-10 04:14 PM
    I vote we start a dedicated Kik thread!!
    06-15-10 04:50 PM
    Good to see the official Enflick reply. Believe it or not, they are actually in the same building as us! http://www.acceleratorcentre.com/clients Makes for an interesting lunch room for sure...

ja2bk: If you are in each others address book, the messages will be automatically routed via data, so no worries here.

juicebox666: After the free period, we will probably return iPhone to $0.99 (so tell all your friends!), whereas BlackBerry will always remain free. And yes, Kik codes will be *very* cool

Ted
    06-15-10 07:00 PM
    What about the ability to have a chat room with your friends that remains open? I plan on moving to Android soon, and I, like many others, appreciate BBM more than anything else on my blackberry. I can live with SMS I suppose, but the chat between myself and 4 of my closest friends is a great feature.
    06-15-10 09:18 PM
    For a public BB beta, I see nowhere to get the beta
    Also, your FAQ points back to the homepage
    If you don't charge, then how do you make $ (ads? One time charge for app?)
    Maybe their understanding of the term "public beta" is incorrect. Even yesterday, the beta for Blackberries was invite-only. In the discussion on facebook, posted yesterday, says "You can download the latest version at the same link sent out in your invitation emails." (source: www[dot]facebook[dot]com/PingChatforblackberrybeta#!/topic.php?uid=123693407654753&topic=113 )

This is the link to apply for invitation to the Blackberry beta: bit[dot]ly/cG1H6g (source: PingChat's twitter)

According to Enflick, "Get PingChat! 2 for FREE without ads during our special promotion. Ads will reappear after a limited time and can be removed with in-app purchase." (source: type this phrase in google WITH the quotes)
    06-16-10 03:37 AM
    PingChat! will sustain itself through the use of ads. Ads can be removed at any time with the purchase of a subscription.

I guess my definition of "public beta" is quite different. We have quite a large dedicated private team for android whereas we have opened the Blackberry up to the general public via invites. This will eventually switch to a completely open download once we have smoothed out a few concerning bugs.

EDIT: Group Chat is also available in PingChat! **Forgot to list it before
    Last edited by Mike_Enflick; 06-16-10 at 10:24 AM.
    06-16-10 09:36 AM
    Thanks, but I"m out. Filled out the form only to get:

The bad news is that Google Docs has just encountered an error.
    The good news is that you've helped us find a bug, which we are now looking into.

We're sorry, a server error occurred. Please wait a bit and try again.
    In the meantime, if you'd like updates on this and other issues, try visiting our Google Docs Help Group:

Sorry, and thanks for your help!
    - The Google Docs Team
    The above posted link was incorrect, we switched the forms due to an error with Google Docs. Here is the actual URL:
    bit(dot)ly/bsfAT2
    06-17-10 10:30 AM
    Hi - I'm Tera the Community Manager for Kik and I've made a dedicated Kik thread that I will check on the regular - so I can be there to answer any questions or engage in any discussion - check it out!

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthr...90#post5264790
    06-23-10 02:40 PM
    Whatsapp works great. Does pic , video , shares location , audio. Works great between my g/f's iPhone and my bold 9650

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-24-10 04:18 PM
    People generally choose to use PingChat! over Whatsapp due to our flawless uI.
    06-29-10 01:02 PM
    PingChat! is awful compared to Whatsapp. Their website doesn't even work correctly.
    06-29-10 01:06 PM
    PingChat! is awful compared to Whatsapp. Their website doesn't even work correctly.
    +1... I wanted to check it out but the website is a fail
    06-30-10 12:16 AM
    Fair enough. We have delivery receipts and some other things coming soon, but agree that we still need to do a few more things before we are on par with BBM.

In your opinion, what do you think are the key missing features?
    07-06-10 11:04 PM
    I don't have a problem with whatsapp being $1 or $2. But a yearly fee is for BB is not acceptable. It should really be free on BB.

Here is how the conversation goes:

"Hey berry-buddy if you install this it is like BBM, but cross platform, so you can talk to me on my iphone with it"
    "why wouldn't I just use bbm"
    "...because iPHone doesn't have bbm."
    "ok, I'll install it... hey wait this costs money"
    "yeah but only a couple bucks"
    "hrrmm... well ok I guess it is only a couple bucks... hey wait it says that that is a YEARLY fee, and I have to give them my CC! Sorry man, I am not paying for your problem."

I really like the kik business model, and how quick the app loads. But the ability to send files may push me over to Ping...
    09-16-10 09:54 AM
    whatsapp doesn't have a yearly fee
    09-16-10 10:38 AM
    This is a quote directly from WhatsApp's page in Blackberry App World:
    * WhatsApp Messenger for Blackberry is free for the first 90 days. If you like it, you can decide at any time to activate your WhatsApp service for just US $1.99 / year.
    If this is not true, please let me know, because the ads ini Ping have been driving me nuts, and there does not seem to be a way to get rid of them. I personally like Kik's UI the best, and think it has the least offensive business model, but the fact that it can't send anything other than text makes it a no go right now.

I am currently investigating a few options thoroughly before I start begging my BB friends to adopt something other BBM. But so far all have failed. For either business model, or lack of features.

~S
    Last edited by snowsquirrel; 09-20-10 at 10:50 AM.
    09-20-10 10:47 AM
    I paid $1.99 and have a lifetime license.
    09-20-10 11:28 AM
    I vote for Whatsaapp. I use it (free for now) with my BlackBerry texting to iPhone and BlackBerry users. It's great, it works great both on BlackBerry and iPhone with push notifications...

and it's almost free... it's 0.79EUR (I don't know the US price) on App Store and 1.99$/year on BB... wich is very cheap!! (it saves you a lot of money!!).
    12-08-10 07:23 AM
    Yeah same here...
    We have the same issues...
    If there's anybody out there who share something with regards to this please
    post it here and share..
    Thanks...
    01-04-11 03:10 AM
    While I've tried all the apps that are bbm-like, I'd have to say I like kik the best, and it seems to be a craze around these parts that's been catching on for some time
    01-04-11 12:15 PM
    We too have been using Whatsapp with various platforms such as iPhones, Blackerrys etc and I agree, it seems to be the most user friendly, failproof cross platform messaging app out there. I'm sure the others are fine also but FWIW Whatsapp seems to do what it claims 99% of the time. Free on the iPhone and cheap for the B'Berry.

Whatsapp works great. Does pic , video , shares location , audio. Works great between my g/f's iPhone and my bold 9650

01-04-11 02:57 PM
    Give LiveProfile a try let me know what you think

We are adding thousands of new users per day and on track for 1 million sometime this month.

Oh yeah and completely free with no ads!
    Last edited by LiveProfile; 01-10-11 at 12:05 PM.
    01-10-11 09:28 AM
    There is a new app called Beluga it is a iPhone/android app. As a former diehard bbm user this looks like it can gain some serious traction.

01-11-11 03:41 AM
    Live profile is very close to bbm. If your thinkin of joining the iPhone side but think you will miss bbm, then this is the app that you are probably looking for. Good job guys!

Give LiveProfile a try let me know what you think

We are adding thousands of new users per day and on track for 1 million sometime this month.

Oh yeah and completely free with no ads!
    01-12-11 03:12 AM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD