Ok

I been in search for a way to communicate with my girlfriend (for free) via black berry messenger or something!

I own an iPhone and she owns a BlackBerry

I have heard about Ping [link](which is a paid app) and WhatsApp [link](which is also paid)

But is there an iPhone app that allows PUSH notification (when the phone is in sleep mode it alerts you of a new message)

I just want to send messages for free to my Girlfriend and make sure she's alright :P and conversate with her when I am on public transportation train/metro/bus
    05-30-10 02:56 PM
    Ping is finally coming cross platform. So it'll be on android and blackberry very soon.

Not sure if it'll be free for them though.

Nothing on blackberry is ever free lol
    05-30-10 04:44 PM
    Yahoo Instant Messenger.

Simple, free and great UI.
    05-30-10 06:17 PM
    Yahoo Instant Messenger.

Simple, free and great UI.
    The person I wish to communicate with doesn't have an Yahoo address

and does Yahoo IM have push notifications on the iPhone?
    05-31-10 02:17 AM
    whatsapp is the best of the multi-platform messengers. Hello! looks good but isn't released for BB for another week or so. Ping is terrible.
    05-31-10 02:48 AM
    Spend the money and get BeeJive for the iPhone. Push works well with it. You can integrate many different instant messenger platforms with it. I use googletalk and yahoo IM. With the blackberry, there are native apps for gtalk or yahoo. You can sign up for the accounts free.

You can then communicate for free less the beejive fee but it is onetime.

Ok

I been in search for a way to communicate with my girlfriend (for free) via black berry messenger or something!

I own an iPhone and she owns a BlackBerry

I have heard about Ping [link](which is a paid app) and WhatsApp [link](which is also paid)

But is there an iPhone app that allows PUSH notification (when the phone is in sleep mode it alerts you of a new message)

I just want to send messages for free to my Girlfriend and make sure she's alright :P and conversate with her when I am on public transportation train/metro/bus
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

05-31-10 12:46 PM
    There is lots of options to choose from, it's all up to you.
    First and easiest would be sms, if you both have a plan for it

You can use.
    MSN, Yahoo, Gtalk, AOL, ICQ
    whatsapp
    pmessneger
    Kik Chat
    cnectd

look them up and see what suit your needs best!.

but the best out of all of them.....Get a BB
    05-31-10 01:13 PM
    I like whatsapp (vs. Ping) BUT for Blackberry whatsapp is freaking $4 (and yeah, that's not much, but it seems unnecessary haha - put it to a buck and every bb user will go to that)
    05-31-10 06:36 PM
    As Peppe said, there is an app for that, it's called SMS (aka texting).
    05-31-10 11:32 PM
    What's wrong with just SMS texting?
    06-01-10 12:47 AM
    What's wrong with just SMS texting?
    Many people have phone plans that do not include unlimited text. Mine for example is only 500 texts (sent+received) per month.

The person I wish to communicate with doesn't have an Yahoo address
    Then they get one. Yahoo addresses aren't exactly some magical thing. You sign up, two minutes later you have a yahoo address. Or get Hotmail, or Google Talk, or whatever.
    06-01-10 03:09 AM
    how about using Google Talk, it's supported on both platforms.
    06-01-10 09:34 AM
    Google talk is a great option, especially if you both have gmail. If you don't just create an account. Google makes a native app for google talk on the blackberry. On the iPhone you just need to use one of the IM apps and they pretty much all now feature push notifications. I use this with my roommate. I have an iPhone and he uses a BB Curve.

I use the beejive IM app for the iPhone. Works flawlessly. It does cost 5 bucks, but that's a one time fee. There's some free options out there as well, let me know if you need those recommendations or just google around for them.
    06-01-10 10:02 AM
    I don't understand why people recommend Gmail over Live / Hotmail. Gmail looks like AOL. At least Live/Hotmail's UI is slightly intuitive and tries to be sleek. Gmail looks like DOS threw up on late 90's java coding. Also, Live/Hotmail/MSN works on computers and phones.
    06-01-10 10:40 AM
    I don't understand why people recommend Gmail over Live / Hotmail. Gmail looks like AOL. At least Live/Hotmail's UI is slightly intuitive and tries to be sleek. Gmail looks like DOS threw up on late 90's java coding. Also, Live/Hotmail/MSN works on computers and phones.
    true !!!!
    06-07-10 07:31 AM
    Spend the money and get BeeJive for the iPhone. Push works well with it. You can integrate many different instant messenger platforms with it. I use googletalk and yahoo IM. With the blackberry, there are native apps for gtalk or yahoo. You can sign up for the accounts free.

You can then communicate for free less the beejive fee but it is onetime.

Finally tried BeeJive for a week, IM+ is better.
    06-07-10 09:06 AM
    Hey,

First of all, I want to disclose that I run Kik, so my answers are going to be biased. That said, hopefully some of this will be helpful.

Really, there are three questions here, and they are:

1 Why not MSN, GTalk, etc?
    2 Why not text?
    and 3, ok, which mobile chat?

I actually spent a long time working for RIM (BlackBerry) doing consumer strategy stuff, so I spent a lot of time thinking about/ researching this. In fact, I spent almost a year driving a lot of the thought leadership behind BBM (o how I love BBM).

The first question you usually get is why not MSN/ GTalk/ etc? The answer lies in how important getting a timely response is. Let's say you're meeting up with someone at Starbucks, and they're late (tsk tsk). Do you a) MSN them b) Facebook them or c) text them? Most people answer c, but why? The answer is that people text because they want a quick response. Texting is a mobile chat community, which means that having mobile access to the community is not an option, but a requirement. This means that you never have to risk getting a message back 8 hours later that says "Sorry man, just got this now, what about tomorrow?" Because with MSN/ GTalk/ etc you risk that the person you want to talk to will have left MSN/GTalk/etc at home. BBM is similar to texting in that you have to have mobile access (a BlackBerry) to be part of the community, and so you get the same level of guaranteed responses that you do in texting.

The second question is why don't I just text? Why do I need BBM? The reason is that texting is like talking to someone who is on the other side of a wall. You send them a message, and then, you wait. Did they get my message? Is their phone dead? Did they misunderstand me? Are we meeting up at Starbucks or not!?!? BBM removes this wall by giving you the message status. You can when your message has been sent, delivered, and read. So now, when you send a message, and it shows up as delivered, you can rest easy when they don't respond right away - you know they have it, maybe they're just busy. And then 5 minutes later you get the read status, and ah ha! I know you read it! And you get your response. Some people think the read receipts are "creepy", because now people will know when you read messages. But think of the upside. Now when you get a message from someone when you're busy you can safely ignore the message, as you know the other person will see that you haven't read it, and therefore, that you aren't ignoring them. You're just busy. In other words, the message status almost acts like your personal assistant, "Mr. Ted is busy right now, but he will get to your message as soon as he can. I'll let him know that you called as soon as he's free." No more wall in your conversation. Nice.

The third question (and the point where I inevitably become bias), is ok, I want BBM, but not all of my friends are on a BB. What do I do? There are several good solutions if all of your friends are on iPhone. But if you do truly want to talk between BlackBerry and iPhone, I can firmly say that Kik has the best BlackBerry client around. But hey, I'm biased. Search "Kik" in the app stores or get it direct at www dot kik dot com/m I'd love to get your feedback, as were just getting this going. It's free too, so you only risk time. Tell a friend too, and as soon as they sign up, the app will let you know they joined (based on your/their address book), so that you can start chatting right away.

Hope that was somewhat helpful! Back to my Greek salad.

Ted
    06-14-10 06:24 PM
    I would love to try that as soon I get my iphone4

06-15-10 07:23 AM
    First of all, I want to disclose that I run Kik, so my answers are going to be biased.
    I'm thinking of using Kik to chat with my friends in the States. They pay to SMS to Canada and they've wracked up some pretty big charges SMS with me.

How does Kik work? I'm installing it now and haven't played around with it yet.

I have a few questions for you:

1. I have an unlimited SMS plan so how does this work for me? The Kik site says if you send more then 50 SMS to non-Kik users you get charged. I obviously don't want that.
    2. Does it use a separate contact list or integrate with my BB contact list?
    3. Do Kik users get a different SMS number?

Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by juicebox666; 06-15-10 at 03:10 PM.
    06-15-10 03:07 PM
    Hey,

Ya, this will be perfect for you! To answer your questions:

1. You get 50 outgoing per month, unlimited incoming. That said, you can go into settings and get 150 free (only iPhone users have to pay right now, because we love BlackBerry)
    2. Integrates
    3. Yup, you get a Kik SMS number for each of your contacts (a real, local 10 digit number)

Ted
    06-15-10 03:27 PM
    3. Yup, you get a Kik SMS number for each of your contacts (a real, local 10 digit number)
    So each Kik user gets a SMS number? Ok, so I would use that for SMS'ing Kik users and use regular SMS numbers for the rest of my contacts? I never need to touch my non-Kik pool of SMS messages.

Thanks for the info!
    06-15-10 03:48 PM
    Not quite...

For Kik users, you just message them and they receive the message in their Kik app. No numbers needed. When you text a non Kik user from within the app, they will get a text from a Kik SMS number. When they reply, it will go into your app.

Hope that helps...

Ted
    06-15-10 03:51 PM
    Also, for now your username is your phone number. If you want to add someone, add them to your address book.

That said, the next version will add "Kik Codes", which are similar to a pin. This will allow you to add someone and chat with them without giving away your number.

Ted
    06-15-10 03:52 PM
    That said, the next version will add "Kik Codes", which are similar to a pin. This will allow you to add someone and chat with them without giving away your number.
    The Kik codes are going to be cool. Soon, I'll be Kik'ing all my iPhone friends. They deserve it anyway! LOL
    06-15-10 04:10 PM
    Official PingChat reply:

Ping! (Now PingChat!) will remain completely free on all platforms. This means we will NEVER charge you to send a message.

PingChat public Blackberry beta has already begun (as well as private Android) and with over 3Million downloads over the past year it is not a question of whether your friends have PingChat but what their Ping id is.

PingChat! 2 now includes:
    Regular messaging
    Voice Note sending
    Image Messaging
    Video Messaging
    Location Messaging
    Send and Receive Notification

<3 The Enflick Team
    PingChat(dot)com
    06-15-10 04:10 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD