I'm thinking about switching to an iphone and I just wanted to know can you put bbm on the iphone? And can I get opinions from people who have or have had an iphone on which they think is better, iphone or blackberry? And please give me an open honest opinion, don't be prejudiced against blackberrys since this is an iphone forum. Thank you.
    08-08-09 04:31 PM
    I'm thinking about switching to an iphone and I just wanted to know can you put bbm on the iphone? And can I get opinions from people who have or have had an iphone on which they think is better, iphone or blackberry? And please give me an open honest opinion, don't be prejudiced against blackberrys since this is an iphone forum. Thank you.
    sadly no bbm is only for blackberries since it uses the devices pin to send the message trust me i wish you could lol.

i have had many blackberries(see sig) and currently have a bold and an iphone 3gs 32gb.

to be honest for my uses the iphone is perfect. i use it for alot of media i have about 6 movies 24 tv show episodes, and a couple gb's of music. i use mine for media all the time since i am often away from a computer or tv for extended periods for work. plus i love the games i play worms religiously and it has totally replaced my nintendo dsi. and there are some amazing apps with interfaces you can't find on a BB and web browsing is second to none. however i do still love my bold! if i had to pick one for me i would go with an iphone all over again since i take full use of the features on a daily basis. I am also a mac user and the seamless integration is amazing it syncs my bookmarks with safari and contacts easier the BB on a mac.

So for me the iphone is my device of choice. However for many user's it is not the best route. My email's are not of time importance if i wait 2 minutes for an email rather than instant push it is more than alright.

I do miss the physical keyboard of my bold for typing out documents or extensive emails. Although i am a good typer on my iphone keyboard the bold is easier for multipage documents.

i would have to say your best bet is to evaluate the features you are looking for. now i coud go on forever about BB's but you know how they work and there is plenty of info on this forum for that.

So in conclusion i would say if you are a HEAVY media user who will be taking advantage of video's on a daily basis and want an amazing pocket gaming device and will actually use a lot of the apps that are available. If your curious as to what the apps look like watch youtube video's check out phonedog.com for reviews and go download itunes(if you have not already and go into the apps store) look at the screenshots. There are many apps that suck but if you stay to the top apps you can get many for free and the rest are usually under 10 bux most under 5. i have 80 apps loaded to my iphone that i use regularly and have spent most of my money on games my other function apps have been mostly free or very cheap.

I would say if you are going to use the app's regularly i would go with the iphone. if you think you will use BB feature's more i would go an buy an ipod touch. that way you get the best of both world and the itouch is thin and can be easily carried in a backpack or briefcase.

phew that was long sorry but just tried to get it all out.
    08-08-09 04:49 PM
    no u can't put BBM on Iphone is only made for Blackberrys....

I had an Iphone 3G before I got my Bold and to tell you the truth is a good phone but honestly I prefer a blackberry a million times more. I had at least 50 Apps on the Iphone and I was lucky if I used more than 5, most of the apps are useless u get them the 1st day n after u'll never use them! One thing I hate about the Iphone is that it doesn't have push notifications so you have to go in the app to see if you received anything. Only you can make a choice on which device is better for "you" for me is a blackberry.
    08-08-09 04:51 PM
    I have the iPhone, bold, and 8900 and I prefer my iPhone over all of them. I find it to be faster, the keyboard is actually quicker for me, and the apps are great. However as everyone has said it's up to your needs and what you mainly use your phone for.

The addition of push notifications to the iPhone has increased it's capabilities dramatically.
    08-08-09 09:11 PM
    I have the iPhone, bold, and 8900 and I prefer my iPhone over all of them. I find it to be faster, the keyboard is actually quicker for me, and the apps are great. However as everyone has said it's up to your needs and what you mainly use your phone for.

The addition of push notifications to the iPhone has increased it's capabilities dramatically.
    yea im really looking forward to some more apps and native programs offering push as they polish it down the road.

i am just hoping apple will take note of the popular jailbreaking mods such as them quick reply sms and a quick toggle like sbsettings
    08-08-09 09:31 PM
    sadly no bbm is only for blackberries since it uses the devices pin to send the message trust me i wish you could lol.

i have had many blackberries(see sig) and currently have a bold and an iphone 3gs 32gb.

to be honest for my uses the iphone is perfect. i use it for alot of media i have about 6 movies 24 tv show episodes, and a couple gb's of music. i use mine for media all the time since i am often away from a computer or tv for extended periods for work. plus i love the games i play worms religiously and it has totally replaced my nintendo dsi. and there are some amazing apps with interfaces you can't find on a BB and web browsing is second to none. however i do still love my bold! if i had to pick one for me i would go with an iphone all over again since i take full use of the features on a daily basis. I am also a mac user and the seamless integration is amazing it syncs my bookmarks with safari and contacts easier the BB on a mac.

So for me the iphone is my device of choice. However for many user's it is not the best route. My email's are not of time importance if i wait 2 minutes for an email rather than instant push it is more than alright.

I do miss the physical keyboard of my bold for typing out documents or extensive emails. Although i am a good typer on my iphone keyboard the bold is easier for multipage documents.

i would have to say your best bet is to evaluate the features you are looking for. now i coud go on forever about BB's but you know how they work and there is plenty of info on this forum for that.

So in conclusion i would say if you are a HEAVY media user who will be taking advantage of video's on a daily basis and want an amazing pocket gaming device and will actually use a lot of the apps that are available. If your curious as to what the apps look like watch youtube video's check out phonedog.com for reviews and go download itunes(if you have not already and go into the apps store) look at the screenshots. There are many apps that suck but if you stay to the top apps you can get many for free and the rest are usually under 10 bux most under 5. i have 80 apps loaded to my iphone that i use regularly and have spent most of my money on games my other function apps have been mostly free or very cheap.

I would say if you are going to use the app's regularly i would go with the iphone. if you think you will use BB feature's more i would go an buy an ipod touch. that way you get the best of both world and the itouch is thin and can be easily carried in a backpack or briefcase.

phew that was long sorry but just tried to get it all out.
    awesome comment
    08-23-09 04:18 AM
    awesome comment
    So for me, I opted for the BB. I have nothing against the Iphone personally I just dont need the multimedia stuff (games, movies, etc) on my phone.
    08-23-09 01:44 PM
    from vzw storm to att ipone 3gs.
    the storm was real cool but very frustrating to use most of the time because of its clunky software and click screen. but now that i am on the other side of the fence in the neighbors grass it definitely isnt greener. the blackberry was just so much more functional. i think if the iphone had a menu key it would be awesome but its functions are severly limited. theres a lot of things you cant do on the iphone that apps cant make up for. goin from one application to another, dealing with multiple messages at a time are two big ones for me. i switched because i didnt think verizon got good coverage in my house and on a lot of spots on the highway i travel every day. but im beginning to think that i jus traded one bunch of dead spots for another...lol
    08-23-09 06:16 PM
    the storm was real cool but very frustrating to use most of the time because of its clunky software and click screen. but now that i am on the other side of the fence in the neighbors grass it definitely isnt greener. the blackberry was just so much more functional. i think if the iphone had a menu key it would be awesome but its functions are severly limited. theres a lot of things you cant do on the iphone that apps cant make up for. goin from one application to another, dealing with multiple messages at a time are two big ones for me. i switched because i didnt think verizon got good coverage in my house and on a lot of spots on the highway i travel every day. but im beginning to think that i jus traded one bunch of dead spots for another...lol
    dont you have 30 days to try it out?
    08-23-09 08:43 PM
    You may want to jailbreak your device. It's a 5 minute process and loads of stuff. One app is backgrounder that allows you to have the apps of your choosing to run in the background. This way, you can leave a 3rd party app and return back to where you left off or if you're streaming through slacker, it can now play in the background. Native apps already run in the background.
    08-23-09 08:52 PM
    I'm the opposite of ReaperZ1013 as I don't use it for apps, web browsing or media, but find the iPhone to be a very good communication tool. I've been testing push on my iPhone for Gmail (via Nuevasync) and it's actually been hitting my iPhone first, which I don't care about, but it surprising.

Messaging... I need IM-Style messaging.

HTML email... awesome, can't complain.

People say there are a ton of garbage apps, but there are more useful and cheap/free apps than the BlackBerry has. Here are some examples:

Shazam - Free on the iPhone and $5 for the BlackBerry (wanted to shows free/paid difference)
    BeeJiveIM - $10 on iPhone & $30 for BlackBerry (I didn't choose the $20 on purpose as the iPhone, I can install BeeJive on as many iPhones for $10 as I want)
    Docs2Go - I paid $5 for mine on the iPhone and $70 on the BlackBerry

If I could only use one device, it would be the BlackBerry. I love bbm and I'm actually going through withdrawals as we speak as I sold my Bold and I'm waiting for my Tour to get here, hopefully tomorrow as I ordered overnight on Saturday, but if Sprint doesn't work on Saturday, it will probably be on Tuesday.
    08-23-09 09:18 PM
    dont you have 30 days to try it out?
    i think i do. im not sure if i would switch back tho until i test it out thoroughly.i got verizon to drop their early termination fee because my signal up here sux so i dont think i could go back , we will see if the storm ever comes out on att once this whole 4g thing starts to become popular. i wanna love the iphone cux im a mac guy but the damn bb jus does everything i need it to without much fuss
    08-23-09 10:14 PM
    You may want to jailbreak your device. It's a 5 minute process and loads of stuff. One app is backgrounder that allows you to have the apps of your choosing to run in the background. This way, you can leave a 3rd party app and return back to where you left off or if you're streaming through slacker, it can now play in the background. Native apps already run in the background.
    i heard the jailbreak isnt available yet for the 3gs , is that true?
    08-23-09 10:15 PM
    This is how true it is...

08-23-09 11:28 PM
    i heard the jailbreak isnt available yet for the 3gs , is that true?
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f99/gui...ne-3gs-264624/

heres the link for ya
    08-23-09 11:35 PM
    I too once wanted the iphone, seems all my friends keep getting one. That is till they come to my house and ask to use MY BB or the landline cause they haven't got 1 stupid bar....lol
    08-24-09 12:04 AM
    This sucks I just need to get a BB
    05-30-10 02:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD