Hello, I'd like to buy a powerfull and nice smartphone for working and fun. I like very much Blackberry but I think an Iphone 4 is better and nicer. What are your opinions and experiences? What do you recomended me?
    Thanks a lot.
    Micky
    09-02-10 03:50 PM
    I too used to be a blackberry user, than I got the iPhone 3G, now just last weekend I upgraded to the iPhone 4. I was actually debating on getting the torch when I just upgraded but when I played with it a little in the store I didn't like the keyboard because the keys were to close, the touchscreen on the iPhone is much more fluent and smoother than the torch, and I just never liked the browser on the blackberry. The only thing that I don't like about the iPhone in general is that the memory is all internal and you can't increase your memory by adding a card. I am really happy with the iPhone 4, it is a great device. Good luck in your decision.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-02-10 04:03 PM
    Unless you have a use for a specific BB feature (eg. BES, physical keyboard, constant FB or Twitter alerts), I would recommend the i4. Aside from notifications, i4 is pretty much better at everything else.
    09-02-10 04:14 PM
    Hello, I'd like to buy a powerfull and nice smartphone for working and fun. I like very much Blackberry but I think an Iphone 4 is better and nicer. What are your opinions and experiences? What do you recomended me?
    Thanks a lot.
    Micky
    can you be more specific with your needs?
    are you dead set with AT&T or a are you willing to try other carriers?
    if you're in the market for smartphones.. you need to try android platforms as well..
    i think trying all platforms and then deciding in the end is the way to go..
    and the first thing you choose is not the phone but the Carrier.
    09-02-10 04:28 PM
    Thanks a lot.
    Micky
    ...and that's what matters. If you think the iPhone 4 is "better and nicer", what's the basis for that thought?

I use my iPhone 4 for work and for fun...and for what I do and how I have fun, it's the best phone for me. I came from the world of BB (Bold 9000 and 9700) and my iPhone 4 trumps them both.

I don't tell anyone what to buy. Pick a carrier, and then find a phone that does what you need it to do, based on specs and research. Go to a store and play with it, to get a feel for the keyboard and functionality.
    09-02-10 05:23 PM
    I have had both. They both have strengths and weaknesses. If you want a friendly, media centric device...iPhone. If you want a phone built around push notifications and messaging, go with a BlackBerry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-02-10 06:17 PM
    I just had an upgrade available and my asked my husband to get me either the BB Torch or the iPhone 4 for my birthday. He ended up choosing the iPhone and I couldn't be happier with it. I cannot recreate the "grip of death" issue no matter how hard I try, and believe me I live in a spotty at&t service area so I was expecting service droppage, but it hasn't happened once. I had a BB Pearl 8110 (which was an awesome little phone, but after nearly 2 years it was ready for retirement) and I love the simplicity of the iPhone. As much as I loved my BB, it added extra steps in a lot of areas.
    The only things I'm not crazy about on the iPhone are that when I get an alert that I have a new e-mail or FB alert, the new emails/Fb alerts don't show up right away when I go to my inbox/FB app. The instant e-mailand FB alerts were my favorite parts of my BB so that will take some getting used to. It does seem to be isolated to only times when I am on wi-fi though.
    My advice is to try out both devices and determine which one fits your needs. A part of me wishes I had stuck with the BB but I love my iPhone
    09-02-10 06:20 PM
    Thanks a lot.
    Micky
    Here are your options. Option 1 and 2 for smartphone noobies, and Option 3 for veterans.

Option 1:
    You are studying at Uni/College, or you need a smartphone for work to be organized; you are a manager, store representative, you have your own firm etc. You need to manage your contacts/meeting/notes/documents/conferences. You always need to be up to date, and you always need to be contacted by phone/email. You are the only person who uses that smatphone and you rarely let other people hold it because it has private/secure/important information on it.
    Then get a Blackberry, you will need it and you will love it.

Option 2:
    You are in pre-school, Highschool, unemployed, or work at a regular job where you don't need to organize too much. You use your smartphone specifically for yourself - for your entertainment, for your fun, to pass time, to stand out from the crowd. It's not a big deal if you miss a call, or if you are not reachable right away, but in an hour or so - specifically concerning email/notifications. You like to socialize and let other people play with your phone often.
    Then get an Iphone 4, you will get the prestige you seek, and the entertainment you are looking for.

Option 3:
    This is not your first smartphone. You have played with different devices over several years. Regardless of your occupation, you know what your priorities in a smartphone are, but you can't decide what suits you better.
    You know you want to mix it up, so do it.
    If you had a BB get an Iphone. If you had an Iphone get a BB. Or play with Android devices. Even if it's only for a month. You know that you will want to mix it up again in a while - come back to your previous device, or choose yet a different one. Just take the good and the bad experience of each device. Most people are looking for flaws in smartphones. Nobody can tell you what you need. You have used smartphones before, so you already know what you need. You just want a justification from other people to change your priorities. Easy, think for yourself and execute.
    Last edited by iBerry Lifestyle; 09-02-10 at 07:18 PM.
    09-02-10 07:07 PM
    I agree with the others that it depends on what you use it for. I have been been a BB user for years. Recently I got a iPhone 3GS and it is awesome. So now I am one of those crazy people that has both. The company I work for had older equipment and the iphone won't work with my work mail...but the BB does. I find on At & T that I get dropped calls but not on the BB that's on T-Mobile. Also, although I can type on the iphone, I am not as fast as on the BB. I can type one-handed on the Berry.

So for me BB for work and email..I don't browse on it anymore....all my music and stuff is now on the iphone.
    09-02-10 07:44 PM
    coming from a mostly iphone device.. as you can see on my sig..
    i got bored with the iphone 4..having owned an iphone since it was first released..
    i miss the customization that you can do with an ordinary phone..
    i have a curve for work as well so Blackberry is not strange to me either..
    anyway, there are simple things like message ( SMS, email) alert tones that the BB and other phones like a Razor can give you but the iphone 4 can't..
    then there's the Retina display that will wow you and WOW the people around you as you show them your pictures and let them watch your sex videos... errr home made videos.
    then there's the 200,000 apps in itunes from non sense apps like fart apps to more usable apps like shazam.. you get the picture.
    09-02-10 09:20 PM
    As much as I was in love with my BB, the iPhone 4 can pretty much do anything I want it to do, which is amazing. The only thing I really miss from BB is the LED light. BBM, Push email, all of that other stuff I thought I would miss a whole lot, I just kinda miss.

Really, everyone I talk to on BBM I just text now. And email on the iPhone is actually better in some ways.

When I first got an iPhone 2g I only had it a month before I hated it, BB did so much better. But iOS4 does everything BB does.

And damn this retina screen and safari, I dont think I can ever leave them now. My friends Droid X is a great phone, but it hurts my eyes to see the screen.
    09-02-10 11:14 PM
    Here are your options. Option 1 and 2 for smartphone noobies, and Option 3 for veterans.

Option 1:
    You are studying at Uni/College, or you need a smartphone for work to be organized; you are a manager, store representative, you have your own firm etc. You need to manage your contacts/meeting/notes/documents/conferences. You always need to be up to date, and you always need to be contacted by phone/email. You are the only person who uses that smatphone and you rarely let other people hold it because it has private/secure/important information on it.

Option 2:
    You are in pre-school, Highschool, unemployed, or work at a regular job where you don't need to organize too much. You use your smartphone specifically for yourself - for your entertainment, for your fun, to pass time, to stand out from the crowd. It's not a big deal if you miss a call, or if you are not reachable right away, but in an hour or so - specifically concerning email/notifications. You like to socialize and let other people play with your phone often. Then get an Iphone 4, you will get the prestige you seek, and the entertainment you are looking for.
    Pretty big BB fanboy generalizations.

Plenty of college students and business professionals (including CEOs, VPs, etc) use iphones just fine. TONS of lawyers use iphones, the VP of Sandisk uses an iphone, Jobs runs a multi-billion dollar company on an iphone; just a few small examples and surely not "babies" or unemployed and in fact make more per year than most around here a year. Theyre not just for "pre-schoolers" or highschoolers. Thats just pure ignorance.

And notifications work just fine. I get emails on all 3 of my accounts (2 gmail and one pure Exchange account) on my phone instantly with Exchange as well as calls. You just have to know a little bit what you are doing. You also overlook the fact that lots of email account types through BIS merely poll every 15 min. So that's just more BS generalizations without true facts.

For the average consumer and business user any smartphone will do the job just fine when you aren't required to use BES. They all offer very similar function.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 09-02-10 at 11:42 PM.
    09-02-10 11:34 PM
    As much as I was in love with my BB, the iPhone 4 can pretty much do anything I want it to do, which is amazing. .
    i totally agree with you on the Safari, Retina Display and ipod features of the iphone 4 that is why it's the BEST multimedia device hands down..

But let's talk about sending and receiving files via Bluetooth..
    BB and other simple phones like a razor can do that.. but APPLE has you locked down with an iphone syncing to only one computer making it impossible to receive files from a different PC/MAC via bluetooth.

then there's the physical keyboard.
    and the removable batteries for non iphone devices..

for me, especially when i'm at work.. there are times when i cannot charge for 3 days straight... that's why i carry a reliable razor and 2 spare batteries just to use as a phone.. i think that's the limitation of the iphone.

truly , there are strengths and weaknesses for both.
    pick the one that will address most of your needs..
    09-02-10 11:51 PM
    i totally agree with you on the Safari, Retina Display and ipod features of the iphone 4 that is why it's the BEST multimedia device hands down..

BB and other simple phones like a razor can do that.. but APPLE has you locked down with an iphone syncing to only one computer making it impossible to receive files from a different PC/MAC via bluetooth.

then there's the physical keyboard.
    and the removable batteries for non iphone devices..

for me, especially when i'm at work.. there are times when i cannot charge for 3 days straight... that's why i carry a reliable razor and 2 spare batteries just to use as a phone.. i think that's the limitation of the iphone.

truly , there are strengths and weaknesses for both.
    pick the one that will address most of your needs..
    But what's the difference between carrying extra batteries and getting a battery case like a Mophie (doubles the battery life), or one that clips to the dock port (about $10 on ebay and nearly charges the iphone 4's bigger battery full)? A wall charger isnt the only way to charge an iphone on the go. Comparing a RAZR with spare batteries that does about 1/50th the stuff and features (and a tiny non-touch screen) isn't really even a fair comparison.

Ill agree with bluetooth, but you can do it over WIFI just as easily. Also if you jailbreak you can transfer files over Bluetooth very easily. I really dont think a ton of people transfer stuff over bluetooth, it never seemed to catch on.
    09-03-10 12:12 AM
    These are limitations that are easily circumvented.

For Bluetooth file transfer, there's an app for jailbroken iPhones.

For syncing to multiple computers, you just need to copy a couple of files from one computer to another.

Personally, I don't bother with Bluetooth file transfer. I just use WiFi and an app called Air Sharing, it's easier and it's faster when I transfer a couple hundred MB. Alternatively, I just email it, since the file limitation is equal to the mail service limit, about 25MB. I usually only do that though when I need something from my work computer and I'm not near it. I use VNC to email it to myself.
    Last edited by Roo Zilla; 09-03-10 at 12:16 AM.
    09-03-10 12:13 AM
    But what's the difference between carrying extra batteries and getting a battery case like a Mophie (doubles the battery life), or one that clips to the dock port (about $10 on ebay and nearly charges the iphone 4's bigger battery full)?
    I had one of those when I had the 3GS for emergencies. I haven't bothered to buy one for the i4 since I can get through the day without one. If I don't watch Youtube, I can get about a day and a half.
    09-03-10 12:23 AM
    I really dont think a ton of people transfer stuff over bluetooth, it never seemed to catch on.
    I think a lot of iPhone users who need regular access to files use cloud storage. Mobileme works really well for that as does Box.net.
    09-03-10 12:30 AM
    Pretty big BB fanboy generalizations.

Plenty of college students and business professionals (including CEOs, VPs, etc) use iphones just fine. TONS of lawyers use iphones, the VP of Sandisk uses an iphone, Jobs runs a multi-billion dollar company on an iphone; just a few small examples and surely not "babies" or unemployed and in fact make more per year than most around here a year. Theyre not just for "pre-schoolers" or highschoolers. Thats just pure ignorance.

And notifications work just fine. I get emails on all 3 of my accounts (2 gmail and one pure Exchange account) on my phone instantly with Exchange as well as calls. You just have to know a little bit what you are doing. You also overlook the fact that lots of email account types through BIS merely poll every 15 min. So that's just more BS generalizations without true facts.

For the average consumer and business user any smartphone will do the job just fine when you aren't required to use BES. They all offer very similar function.
    All of this. When I read some of these iPhone opinions, I often think to myself, "Are we talking about the same phone?" BBs have built-in functionality that MAY be superior to an out-of-the-box iPhone 4 (and that's debatable), but when you add the abundance of cheaper, better designed apps, an iPhone 4 can definitely hold its own.

I don't know where folks get some of this info...which is why I caution folks about seeking "advice" about smart phones, in the first place. Take it all with a grain of salt, and do your own "leg work".

This "the iPhone is a toy" mentality needs to slow up...to a stand still. It only shows that those who claim to know, actually...know not.
    09-03-10 01:21 AM
    Option 2:
    You are in pre-school, Highschool, unemployed, or work at a regular job where you don't need to organize too much. You use your smartphone specifically for yourself - for your entertainment, for your fun, to pass time, to stand out from the crowd. It's not a big deal if you miss a call, or if you are not reachable right away, but in an hour or so - specifically concerning email/notifications. You like to socialize and let other people play with your phone often.
    Then get an Iphone 4, you will get the prestige you seek, and the entertainment you are looking for.
    Lol seriously?
    09-03-10 02:18 AM

Option 1:

Option 2:

Option 3:
    This is not your first smartphone. You have played with different devices over several years. Regardless of your occupation, you know what your priorities in a smartphone are, but you can't decide what suits you better.
    You know you want to mix it up, so do it.
    If you had a BB get an Iphone. If you had an Iphone get a BB. Or play with Android devices. Even if it's only for a month. You know that you will want to mix it up again in a while - come back to your previous device, or choose yet a different one. Just take the good and the bad experience of each device. Most people are looking for flaws in smartphones. Nobody can tell you what you need. You have used smartphones before, so you already know what you need. You just want a justification from other people to change your priorities. Easy, think for yourself and execute.
    Ohh ohhh ohh! Can I play the generalization game too?

Option 1:
    You are a pompous, self obsessed ***. Your sense of self worth flows from feeling important and putting others down. (You are insecure)
    The best defense is a good offense, so get a BlackBerry to hide behind.

Option 2:
    Attend secret cult meetings and worship images of Steve Jobs.
    Pray that Woz will see the light and come back to the fold.
    Install the SJ app on your iPhone for daily instructions from Steve.
    You can't install the app without an iPhone, so get one.

Option 3:
    Become a hermit, or better still convert to Amish.
    No technology, no debates, no internet, no trolls, no dropped calls, no spam, no A/C, ...
    09-03-10 05:41 AM
    it always surprise me when some members.. ( nope, i'm not talking about you) feel like it's either this or that..and nowhere in between..
    you can enjoy both.. or switch.. no need to be loyal to just one company whether it's apple, Windows, Blackberry.
    whatever works for you..is the rule i live by.

to the OP:
    1. if you've decided to go with an iphone... get the iphone 4 ( not the 3G or 3GS)
    2. if you go with a blackberry.. you have choices.. 3G Curve, Bold 9700 or 9650, and the Torch.
    3. Android platform.. there are many.. Droid, Droid X, samsung captivate, epic 4G, EVO.

but i will go back to the most important one.. the Carrier/ Service provider.
    your phone is no good if the coverage is bad in your area... it's gonna be a very expensive paperweight
    09-03-10 09:18 AM
    it always surprise me when some members.. ( nope, i'm not talking about you) feel like it's either this or that..and nowhere in between..
    you can enjoy both.. or switch.. no need to be loyal to just one company whether it's apple, Windows, Blackberry.
    whatever works for you..is the rule i live by.

to the OP:
    1. if you've decided to go with an iphone... get the iphone 4 ( not the 3G or 3GS)
    2. if you go with a blackberry.. you have choices.. 3G Curve, Bold 9700 or 9650, and the Torch.
    3. Android platform.. there are many.. Droid, Droid X, samsung captivate, epic 4G, EVO.

but i will go back to the most important one.. the Carrier/ Service provider.
    your phone is no good if the coverage is bad in your area... it's gonna be a very expensive paperweight
    Hmmm...well, I'm not sure what you're talking about here. First off, this is the iPhone neighborhood, in the Blackberry community. So, I would think that the vast majority of folks who hang out here have found the iPhone to be the preferred device. Nothing surprising about that.

Secondly, I don't think anyone here has implied that you can't have choices, or have a different perspective. If I missed it, feel free to point it out. So yeah, I'm wondering where you're coming from.

The problem comes when folks make flat out WRONG statements...based on their personal preferences, and not a device's actual capabilities. That's foolishness.

There are those who would have us believe that all the folks in this neck of the woods are 15 year old boys, who spend all their time at the mall, downloading music on iTunes, trying to pick up girls, and surfing the web. Foolishness...again.

There are WAY too many people who use their iPhone as a business device, AND for "fun". I've had two Blackberrys, and now I have an iPhone 4...and they ALL work fine for business...for ME. I would never suggest that EITHER phone is "better" across the board, because everyone isn't like me, nor do they have the same needs/wants/expectations.

People (not you, but any and everybody) need to read what they type, before hittin' the "submit" button. When they fail to do that, and someone else brings it to their attention (either directly, or indirectly), it's best if they just clarify what the actually meant (if their statements were misunderstood), or say nothing and try to do better (as far as communication) next time.
    Last edited by Tlynnsmith; 09-03-10 at 10:14 PM.
    09-03-10 10:01 PM
    If you want a full on smartphone with loads of apps and games, with good media capacity, the iPhone is better. If you want a device that does push e-mail... Well, the iPhone does that just fine too.

I say play with both and see which you like better. I have both but I don't think I could use a BB as my main phone because I want the extra benefits the iPhone has for the way I use the phone.

Take time to look at Android too, though. There's lots of cool Android phones, and if you like hacking your phones Android is the best platform to do that on.
    09-04-10 02:56 AM
    I also want to add that the virtual keyboard and battery life are not problems for me. I thought these would be HUGE deal breakers in going from BB to iphone 4. But boy was I wrong. I can seriously type as fast as I could on my 9000 on my iphone 4, and it only took about two days of getting used to it, the only real problem is texting while driving. And well, I guess I shouldnt be trying that anyway.

And the battery life has blown away my 9000. On my 9000 I used to get about 1-2 days with 3G on, and 3-4 with it off. I would usually leave 3G off on my 9000 and not worry about battery life. With the iPhone 4 I have yet to turn 3G off and the phone will always last 2 days with heavy usage, 3 days with light use.
    09-04-10 01:06 PM
    I recently switched from a bb 9700 to the iPhone 4, and I am enjoying the phone immensely. It has done everything I have asked. My bb was better for messaging and notifications. I sure miss the red light!

Seriously. The 9800 was a let down and I could not purchase it over the iPhone, considering they were the exact same price. I'm a bb fan. And I may not sell my 9700 due to the web kit browser supposedly coming to it. But... It sure is nice to see full HTML email over the way it looks on my bb.
    09-04-10 03:46 PM
85 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD