I see that some people got offended by my previous post which was not my intension.

Nowhere in the post did I say that any of the respective devices are bad or good for that matter. I like both Blackberry and Apple products. In my post I simply pointed towards the use of those phones. As a total beginner, if you want to choose just ONE phone, you can pick a device based on that categories and be 100% satisfied with it, period. I stand by what I have said.

To those who are being provocative and start calling names: Your posts just describe who YOU are, nothing more. I hope you can resolve your issues. Besides you should read the entire post carefully before start picking it apart regardless what else it includes.

@ OP
    I hope you made a choice and are satisfied with your new gadget.
    09-04-10 05:42 PM

Nowhere in the post did I say that any of the respective devices are bad or good for that matter. I like both Blackberry and Apple products. In my post I simply pointed towards the use of those phones. As a total beginner, if you want to choose just ONE phone, you can pick a device based on that categories and be 100% satisfied with it, period. I stand by what I have said.
    People don't really care about other people's opinions of their devices, especially iPhone owners since they already have it in their heads they have the best one. You're comments though, are directed at their users, which is borderline offensive.

You don't say anything about the devices, just the people who use them, basically suggesting the iPhone for the following groups:

"You are in pre-school, Highschool, unemployed, or work at a regular job where you don't need to organize too much."
    I can understand people getting offended by that, because you're basically calling people interested in an iPhone to be either kids, jobless, or working unimportant jobs. You obviously have it in your head that a certain type of person will use an iPhone. You like to stereotype people into groups. If that's your thing, no big deal. You might also think certain types of people are better at basketball too.
    Last edited by Roo Zilla; 09-04-10 at 06:08 PM.
    09-04-10 05:50 PM
    People don't really care about other people's opinions of their devices, especially iPhone owners since they already have it in their heads they have the best one.

I can understand people getting offended by that, because you're basically calling people interested in an iPhone to be either kids, jobless, or working unimportant jobs. You obviously have it in your head that a certain type of person will use an iPhone. You like to stereotype people into groups. If that's your thing, no big deal. You might also think certain types of people are better at basketball too.
    i agree with you on all your points in black..
    but for the blue part of your message, i think it only applies to you. ( the i don't care part)

We are in a Blackberry Forum.. right?
    up to now, i don't understand why some members who have switched to the iphone 4... feel the NEED to go to the torch forum and start a new thread detailing this and that.
    i welcome a constructive comparison.. but comments like " the Torch is one expensive POS" or "torch is garbage" only inflame the situation.
    top of my head i can name 6-7 members who are doing that..
    but i won't name names..
    Seriously, you ( those who switched) preferred the iphone/Android.. We Respect that.. Let's move on..
    09-04-10 08:51 PM
    All the replies have validity. Personally, I dont go into the Berry forums any longer, because I now have an iPhone. I dont feel the need to bash Berries, I used RIM devices for 5 plus years and they served me well. At the moment Im using an i4, and am quite satisfied with it. All of this "my device is better than yours" is kind of pointless, because for one it changes no ones mind, and secondly all that matters is that YOU are satisfied with your device. One tie that binds-we ALL love our smartphones or we wouldn't be spending our time in these forums.
    09-04-10 11:34 PM
    [QUOTE=iBerry Lifestyle;5541923]Here are your options. Option 1 and 2 for smartphone noobies, and Option 3 for veterans.

Option 1:
    You are studying at Uni/College, or you need a smartphone for work to be organized; you are a manager, store representative, you have your own firm etc. You need to manage your contacts/meeting/notes/documents/conferences. You always need to be up to date, and you always need to be contacted by phone/email. You are the only person who uses that smatphone and you rarely let other people hold it because it has private/secure/important information on it.
    Then get a Blackberry, you will need it and you will love it.

^^^^or get an iphone, you will need it and love it......
    09-05-10 11:45 PM
    Here are your options. Option 1 and 2 for smartphone noobies, and Option 3 for veterans.

Option 1:
    You are studying at Uni/College, or you need a smartphone for work to be organized; you are a manager, store representative, you have your own firm etc. You need to manage your contacts/meeting/notes/documents/conferences. You always need to be up to date, and you always need to be contacted by phone/email. You are the only person who uses that smatphone and you rarely let other people hold it because it has private/secure/important information on it.
    Then get a Blackberry, you will need it and you will love it.

Option 2:
    You are in pre-school, Highschool, unemployed, or work at a regular job where you don't need to organize too much. You use your smartphone specifically for yourself - for your entertainment, for your fun, to pass time, to stand out from the crowd. It's not a big deal if you miss a call, or if you are not reachable right away, but in an hour or so - specifically concerning email/notifications. You like to socialize and let other people play with your phone often.
    Then get an Iphone 4, you will get the prestige you seek, and the entertainment you are looking for.

Option 3:
    This is not your first smartphone. You have played with different devices over several years. Regardless of your occupation, you know what your priorities in a smartphone are, but you can't decide what suits you better.
    You know you want to mix it up, so do it.
    If you had a BB get an Iphone. If you had an Iphone get a BB. Or play with Android devices. Even if it's only for a month. You know that you will want to mix it up again in a while - come back to your previous device, or choose yet a different one. Just take the good and the bad experience of each device. Most people are looking for flaws in smartphones. Nobody can tell you what you need. You have used smartphones before, so you already know what you need. You just want a justification from other people to change your priorities. Easy, think for yourself and execute.
    You lost ALL credibility when I saw you owned a Storm of all phones.
    Last edited by Entertainment72; 11-26-10 at 01:07 PM.
    09-06-10 10:45 AM
    You lost ALL credibility when you I saw you owned a Storm of all phones.

You come across as a fanboy and really is there anything more annoying?

Looking at all your Apple products and then your lone Windows device that you slam in your signature, I think your the one whom loses credibility.
    Last edited by RetroAndreas; 09-06-10 at 01:59 PM.
    09-06-10 01:48 PM
    You lost ALL credibility when you I saw you owned a Storm of all phones.
    I don't feel the need to update my avatar/signiture every time I get a new device. Among other gadgets I own several Blackberries.
    09-06-10 02:06 PM
    Not exactly sure of where the issue of credibility came from. Hmmm... Lol. I still had 8310 listed in my profile. I've owned the 9000 and a 9700 since those days.

Not to self: change phone in profile.
    09-06-10 03:51 PM
    Option 2:
    You are in pre-school, Highschool, unemployed, or work at a regular job where you don't need to organize too much. You use your smartphone specifically for yourself - for your entertainment, for your fun, to pass time, to stand out from the crowd. It's not a big deal if you miss a call, or if you are not reachable right away, but in an hour or so - specifically concerning email/notifications. You like to socialize and let other people play with your phone often.
    Then get an Iphone 4, you will get the prestige you seek, and the entertainment you are looking for.
    I see that some people got offended by my previous post which was not my intension.
    To those who are being provocative and start calling names: Your posts just describe who YOU are, nothing more. I hope you can resolve your issues. Besides you should read the entire post carefully before start picking it apart regardless what else it includes.

@ OP
    I hope you made a choice and are satisfied with your new gadget.
    You can stand by what you said, but if you can't see how your broad generalizations could be offensive to those of us who have iPhones (whether we started with one, or ended up with one), then you have bigger issues to handle.

If you'd stuck to device features, the train wreck could have been avoided. But when you tried to wax witty, you ended up insulting a multitude of folk.

All the replies have validity. Personally, I dont go into the Berry forums any longer, because I now have an iPhone. I dont feel the need to bash Berries, I used RIM devices for 5 plus years and they served me well. At the moment Im using an i4, and am quite satisfied with it. All of this "my device is better than yours" is kind of pointless, because for one it changes no ones mind, and secondly all that matters is that YOU are satisfied with your device. One tie that binds-we ALL love our smartphones or we wouldn't be spending our time in these forums.
    This. I don't stalk the BB forums, looking to start mess about someone else's phone choice. My needs have changed, so my phone changed as well...nothing more, nothing less. Blackberrys are great devices, and that's not open for debate, in my opinion. So, I don't engage in the debate.
    09-07-10 08:37 AM
    I've tried to avoid the fray of this rivalry, but I have to take matter with the OP's generalization. Reality is that I am a nobody who used Blackberries for several years, and was avidly a fan of them....still am.

I run my own business, 35+ employees, and well over 500 clients and a part of their businesses, and I use an iPhone. Not to be trendy, not because it's the new thing.

I use it because many of my applications I use each and every day are now web-based, and the BB browser could not render them for me. Add to that 75% of my staff were using the iPhone, and I felt paying for parallel systems was a waste of resources. So I converted as well as my management and senior level employees.

I am extremely satisfied with the phone my IT department placed in my hands and loaded it with apps to provide me the functionality that I need in my day to day work. In and out of the office. For less than $10.

Don't get me wrong, I miss my BB. There are many things I really did love about it. But for now, the iPhone provides me everything I need to get my business, my employees' business, and my clients' business done. So to state it is not a business device could not be further from the truth.

Both platforms are wonderful. There is really no "better".

But on an aside, "Angry Birds"? ...... ADDICTING!
    09-07-10 07:04 PM
    because of angry birds... and plants vs zombies... i'm ditching the Blackberry Torch... =)
    09-07-10 10:18 PM
    Angry birds is making me angry. i am amazed at the quality of games that ate available for the iPhone. It is absolutely amazing.

Most apps look awesome and are many are quite fun. Keyboard is growing on me, but I still miss my little red blinky light. Sigh.
    09-07-10 10:52 PM
    But on an aside, "Angry Birds"? ...... ADDICTING!
    Yes. I can't see Angry Birds on the BB Platform. Just isn't the same. Angry Birds is the one game that makes the iPhone extremely pleasant to use.
    09-08-10 05:30 AM
    It's definitely a matter of what you want. I went from a BB to an iPhone4, and I can't be more unhappy with my choice.

iTunes is slow software, that makes putting songs on your phone much more time consuming (you must sync the entire phone every time, with a BB the window pops up...you drag your songs over...you're done in less than a minute) than drag-and-drop that other systems use. Also, putting videos on your phone requires a lot of time to convert them to a proprietary format. Despite what Apple says mpeg, avi, 3gp, and most mov will not work without being converted to the right framerate (BB and Android played them all with no conversion). iTunes also moved some of my media on my PC that I can't find.

Signal strength is weak. Very weak. My bass player's 3G has much better antenna strength wherever we go. My BB always had a better signal. I just got off with customer support, and the call dropped 4 times. NEVER had this problem with my BBs.

Notifications on the iPhone are weak. SMS notifications cannont be turned off, and disrupt every function of the phone except the iPod audio. I get a lot of texts, and it's annoying that you're forced to deal with them immediately (stops movies, youtube, pandora, slacker, etc...). If you are on a phone call and you get 5 texts, you have to close them individually in order to answer your call waiting, or hang up the phone.

No ability to simply customize your phone any way other than what Steve Jobs likes. I have grown used to setting my own tones for people like every other manufacturer has let you do for years.

No warning light for missed calls, texts, email, etc... like every other phone has. The little blinking light is a better notification system than pop-ups that stop the functionality pf the phone.

No abitlity to mark messages unread. The SMS app automatically opens to new messages, making it impossible to leave yourself a little reminder in the form of an unopened text.

The app store is not very impressive to me, as most apps I've tried have let me down (can't find a good barcode scanner, Words With Friends needs my phone to be restarted every time it launches, DocsToGo doesn't work right for $15, etc...) There are no fantastic apps that cannot be found on BB or Android. A 24 hour refund period on apps (like Android) would be great to find out if it works to expectation, with no risk. They crash a lot on me as well, and it's turned me off to using them. Keep in mind, I don't play games much or get into fart app type things.

Multi-tasking. Face it, it's not really multi-tasking. You can't start loading a page, switch to a text, check your e-mail, then come back to find a page loaded.

Internet kills a BB dead, but is only on par with Android. I've used a Droid X, Droid Incredible, Droid, Droid 2 and Motorola Backflip. They all have just as good internet browsing as an iPhone.

The iPhone's functions don't require you to take an extra minute to look through menus, but don't give you many options either.

It has the best camera and screen out, hands down. However, since the rest of the phone suffers in function these aren't too relevant. It is a great thing to be able to download music right to the phone (when you can get a signal). I can't find many other things great about this phone, as it's been the most "crippled" smart phone I've used yet.

It's all about what you want. I'm a bit of a power user, who likes a phone that can communicate, and can be customized to my liking. My iPhone4 is defintely a shiny toy that sacrifices function for form. I travel a lot, and miss my BB's ability to get better signal in more places (and I was on AT&T before). I don't mind looking at menus, figuring things out, and basically thinking for myself.

I may have become a hater in my 3 months with this phone, but my experiences with this phone...and especially the idiots at Apple have brought me here. When I called them to see if there was a way to shut the sms notifications off, they told me to turn the phone off. That was their genius solution.

I can't wait for my next upgrade. AT&T only allows you one return in 30 days, and I used it on the first phone which had burned out pixels in the display and counted as my only return.
    09-18-10 03:32 PM
    Why not just sell your iPhone for like $600 and buy yourself a BB? Seems like a pretty simple solution to me. You might even have money left over.
    09-18-10 03:42 PM
    no get yourself the kin one... best phone ever!
    09-18-10 04:36 PM
    Some of the stuff Bishop34 mentions are easily mitigated. For example, if you prefer dragging and dropping music files instead of using the playlist paradigm, there are dozens of apps that turn your iPhone into a virtual flashdisk. There are even apps that do it over Wifi. Media playing is similar. There are apps that will allow you to play different types of video files. There are apps like Zumocast that let you stream whatever media you have on your desktop to you iPhone, including music.

Another thing is, when I type a URL into safari and it starts loading, I can close out and come back and it's finished loading the page.
    Last edited by Roo Zilla; 09-18-10 at 05:06 PM.
    09-18-10 05:04 PM
    blackberry torch as a phone and then get a ipad for all your app needs. Done. Best of both worlds.
    09-20-10 08:12 PM
    You come across as a fanboy and really is there anything more annoying?
    Other than you? No not really... I really like Apple products but not all so keep guessing, insinuating and ASSuming you know. The post that everyone is referring to reeks BB fanboy, it's not accurate even by opinion and the only reason it was made was to slam the iPhone.

Guess again son.

PS. No offense but Vista is GARBAGE, face the facts, now back to the topic.
    Last edited by Entertainment72; 09-21-10 at 09:03 AM.
    09-21-10 08:59 AM
    blackberry torch as a phone and then get a ipad for all your app needs. Done. Best of both worlds.
    i carry the Torch and an ipod touch...
    both device fit well inside my pockets
    09-21-10 09:30 AM
    Choosing a phone isn't the easiest task anymore. There are so many options. I have been through so many devices in the last year it isn't funny. But I have always come back to BB. Because at the end of the day, I do a lot more talking, emailing, and texting than I do anything else. I like facebook and Twitter and that's it for leisurely phone usage. I thought I would like the iPhone and I did, but I didn't use it the way that I thought I would. I just got frustrated because it didn't have simple things like auto on/off or push notifications. I tried WebOS and liked it. But there was an abundance of basic features that were missing. I have had two Android devices (Hero, Evo) and both were awesome, but neither had the typing capabilities that I needed. Awesome smartphones though. I always come back to BB. Its simple and just does a good job at what it does. Its not as powerful or feature rich as other devices by a long shot. But it seems to work for me and millions of people across the globe just fine. Good example, I'm using the Bold 9000 (two year old device) and it meets my needs better than the Evo that was just released a couple of months ago. Go figure.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-22-10 02:07 AM
    @ Dwayne i kinda agree with you. as you can see on my signature.. i've been with a lot of phone manufacturers... and the list didn't include devices that i played for about a week or so.. for a phone to be on MY list, i must have owned it for not shorter than 6 months... or else the list will be so long..
    i think Majority of people have a hard time deciding on a phone because they tend to have high expectations.. ( stay with me on this!) i know you're getting a smartphone.. but to expect that phone to replace your point and shoot camera, replace your netbook/laptop and still have the battery to last all day is asking
    09-22-10 07:58 AM
    I just spent a week on holiday with a friend who is a devoted iphone lover. He just got the iphone4. I have the Torch and he was so impressed with my Torch, he replaced his iphone4 with a brand new Torch. The features he likes especially? (1) the amazing ease of use and integration of email/calendar/contacts/BBM/camera etc., (2) the very sweet Facebook integration, (3) the must superior photos & videos taken on the Torch - side-by-side comparisons were very sad for the iphone, (4) the wifi music sync, and several other issues.
    11-26-10 11:17 AM
    I just spent a week on holiday with a friend who is a devoted iphone lover. He just got the iphone4. I have the Torch and he was so impressed with my Torch, he replaced his iphone4 with a brand new Torch. The features he likes especially? (1) the amazing ease of use and integration of email/calendar/contacts/BBM/camera etc., (2) the very sweet Facebook integration, (3) the must superior photos & videos taken on the Torch - side-by-side comparisons were very sad for the iphone, (4) the wifi music sync, and several other issues.
    Kinda odd, experienced the exact opposite with the Torch.
    11-26-10 01:10 PM
85 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD