I have a few questions. I'm really tired of battery pulls and freeze ups and now java errors on my Bold. Time for a change, and I'll probably steer away from RIM.

No flaming intended or wanted, I'm genuinely researching and have questions.

I've been looking at Droids (a couple Motorola models, specifically) and the I4S is intriguing. I thought I wanted an Iphone from the days of only A&T having them, but never took the leap. I've talked to people at many VZW stores and Droid or Iphone owners. Just in my little survey world, Iphone owners love their phones, with the exception of a few who've left for Droid. Droid owners generally don't seem to like Iphones much. VZW corp and retailers push Droid over Iphone.

Anyway, here are my questions:

Battery: I heard it's in there permanently, when it goes, the phone is done. Is that correct? Or do you have to lose use of the phone for awhile & pay Apple to put in a new one?

Alerts: I've heard there are more alerts for things like text, email, missed calls. Is that true?

Apps: Several have told me that Apple apps have to be purchased far more than any other manufacturer. Free apps aren't as readily available. Doesn't really bug me, I don't load up on them. But I have several must have apps. If not available for iphone something similar would be good: YouMail, Vlingo, SlickTasks, Facebook, and I do use Google Maps to find locations like Starbucks, restaurants, gas station, or a store when traveling.

A VZW Corp store Mgr told me that Google Maps is not compatible with iPhone. Pretty sure it was something to do with GPS. (Sorry, looking at phones till I'm bleary eyed.) Is that true?

Any other input you think might help is appreciated. The only apple product I've ever owned is an ipod nano.
    10-08-11 01:03 PM
    Anyway, here are my questions:

Battery: I heard it's in there permanently, when it goes, the phone is done. Is that correct? Or do you have to lose use of the phone for awhile & pay Apple to put in a new one?
    If it is still under warranty I don't think you have to pay (especially if you buy Apple Care), but you do have to bring it in/ship it out to Apple for repair.

Alerts: I've heard there are more alerts for things like text, email, missed calls. Is that true?
    Yes in iOS 5 you have more customization with alerts.

Apps: Several have told me that Apple apps have to be purchased far more than any other manufacturer. Free apps aren't as readily available. Doesn't really bug me, I don't load up on them. But I have several must have apps. If not available for iphone something similar would be good: YouMail, Vlingo, SlickTasks, Facebook, and I do use Google Maps to find locations like Starbucks, restaurants, gas station, or a store when traveling.
    There are plenty of free apps. Many of them are really good quality. Of course, the paid ones tend to be of better quality and also have better support.

The majority, if not all of those apps are available.

A VZW Corp store Mgr told me that Google Maps is not compatible with iPhone. Pretty sure it was something to do with GPS. (Sorry, looking at phones till I'm bleary eyed.) Is that true?
    The iPhone uses Google Maps. The Manager is either clueless, or he meant that the iPhones version doesn't have turn by turn nav like the Android version of Google Maps. Androids version is better. There are other GPS apps available in the app store like TomTom and Garmin.

Any other input you think might help is appreciated. The only apple product I've ever owned is an ipod nano.
    The iPhone is an extremely easy device to use out of the box. Very self explanatory. The build quality is great, the software works great and the over all user experience is great. The iPhone ranks highest in consumer satisfaction every year.

I say try it out, and if it doesn't work you can always go to something else.
    auntrosie likes this.
    10-08-11 01:17 PM
    Not to mention the Iphone comes without all the bloatware installed that you wont use or be able to uninstall. Also unlike apple's IOS Android is more prone to freezing and being unresponsive. Part of the reason for this is the "open source" app market as anybody can offer an app even if it is incompatible with other apps. I also think it has to do with Android being installed on over 40 different phones and everyone of them is slightly different where operating systems are concerned. Apple has the advantage of using Apple software on Apple hardware and they do control what apps are available so no conflict.

Ask anyone fanboy or hater and they will tell you the same thing "it just works".
    10-08-11 01:53 PM
    Thank you both very much! I appreciate it.
    There is some good news to hear, and I didn't even consider Android is on so many phones, it would seem logical there would be conflicts here and there.

avt123, you are correct. He did mention turn by turn. I remember him saying now he didn't want to look at a map or read directions, he just wanted to hear them and iphone wouldn't do that. (Per him.)

Decisions, decisions. But the thought of something that just works and works well without a bunch of tweaks is very tempting. I'm having enough PC troubles, fighting a smartphone is not fun. And I have to admit, watching the 4S videos it sure does look smooth and nice.

Edit: Thought of something else re: battery. What do most iphone users do. Keep a backup phone so they can ship to Apple for a new battery or till they can get to a store? Or get AppleCare? Or perhaps that's a 50/50 deal? Does anyone know the cost of replacing an iphone battery through Apple? (Don't know why I'm so hung up on that. Probably a control issue. Have never had a battery fail me yet on a BB, so maybe it's unlikely to happen on an iPhone?)
    Last edited by periwinklemoon; 10-08-11 at 02:37 PM.
    10-08-11 02:33 PM
    I've never had a problem with the battery, and if I did I would walk right into my local Apple Store and I know they would assist me right away. They have with other things. Their CS and TS is top notch.
    10-08-11 02:47 PM
    ^^Even the company commando said, and I'm paraphrasing, one has to have a charger available lest the thing might run out of juice before the end of the day.

As always YMMV.
    10-08-11 04:37 PM
    Not to mention the Iphone comes without all the bloatware installed that you wont use or be able to uninstall. Also unlike apple's IOS Android is more prone to freezing and being unresponsive. Part of the reason for this is the "open source" app market as anybody can offer an app even if it is incompatible with other apps. I also think it has to do with Android being installed on over 40 different phones and everyone of them is slightly different where operating systems are concerned. Apple has the advantage of using Apple software on Apple hardware and they do control what apps are available so no conflict.

Ask anyone fanboy or hater and they will tell you the same thing "it just works".
    Verizon's Blackberries also have a lot of junk installed that we can't get rid of.
    I wish I could go back and have purchased a phone that actually works.
    10-08-11 05:39 PM
    I've been a pretty big BB fan, but I'm getting, mmm, bored I think. I'd like to try something different. I have a few questions about the things that are important to me.

This may be silly, but as far as pics go, my BB takes a great pic that fills up the screen of my phone, of course, but also fills up the screen on my PC when I put it on there. Every pic I've gotten from an iPhone always has this tiny little rectangular shaped picture that doesn't fit on anything else.
    Email & texts are very important. I'm self-employed & MUST be available to my clients at all times. I have several Yahoo & Google accounts, nothing more than that, so its very important that the email delivery is flawless. Plus I keep in touch with my kids through TM a lot. Also my fingers get sore from the keypad on my BB, I'm wondering what its like tapping out a message on the iPhone.

And is the iP's browser really faster? I have no problem with my BB & browsing. It seems to go pretty quick to me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-09-11 09:40 AM
    I think I might have hit a snag. Seriously considering ordering the I4S. I was looking at specs and system requirements at VZW for 4S. It says XP SP3. I'm planning to get a new PC around the holidays with all the sales then. But meantime I'm running XP SP2 because SP3 isn't compatible with some of my computer hardware. What kind of problem will that pose? Is it just for syncing? If so, I'm presuming I can do wireless or google sync as I have been until I'm able to connect to my PC?

Thank you again for any and all input!!
    10-09-11 01:16 PM
    Verizon's Blackberries also have a lot of junk installed that we can't get rid of.
    I wish I could go back and have purchased a phone that actually works.
    Verizon blackberries only have icons not the software taking up space from memory.

Just as an aside, I have to reset my ipad more often than my S2.
    10-09-11 02:22 PM
    I think I might have hit a snag. Seriously considering ordering the I4S. I was looking at specs and system requirements at VZW for 4S. It says XP SP3. I'm planning to get a new PC around the holidays with all the sales then. But meantime I'm running XP SP2 because SP3 isn't compatible with some of my computer hardware. What kind of problem will that pose? Is it just for syncing? If so, I'm presuming I can do wireless or google sync as I have been until I'm able to connect to my PC?

Thank you again for any and all input!!
    All you need to sync (via a PC) is iTunes and the Windows version is compatible with XP SP2 per Apple's website. Apple - iTunes - Download iTunes Now
    periwinklemoon likes this.
    10-09-11 03:19 PM
    Thank you ugahairydawgs
    10-09-11 08:26 PM
    Verizon blackberries only have icons not the software taking up space from memory.

Just as an aside, I have to reset my ipad more often than my S2.
    I'd rather give up the memory than having to wade through all that junk VZ adds. Even a junk folder and using the hide is worthless. How is the pre-installed VZ junk not taking up memory?
    10-09-11 11:37 PM
    I'd rather give up the memory than having to wade through all that junk VZ adds. Even a junk folder and using the hide is worthless. How is the pre-installed VZ junk not taking up memory?
    Depends on what's being pre-loaded. Most of the time it's just icons that represent links to download the full application. Since the app isn't even loaded on your phone (just the link), it's going to take up kilobytes of space, not megabytes.

There *might* be a few actually pre-loaded, but from my experience, that's usually not the case.
    10-09-11 11:40 PM
    I've been a pretty big BB fan, but I'm getting, mmm, bored I think. ....Also my fingers get sore from the keypad on my BB, I'm wondering what its like tapping out a message on the iPhone. And is the iP's browser really faster? I have no problem with my BB & browsing. It seems to go pretty quick to me.

@ Cool Breeze, you think a little like me I garden a lot, thus break nails, and then typing is a lot harder. I often revert to Vlingo a lot more till my nails get long enough again. The only BB I can type easily on is the slightly larger keyboard from the original Bold model only AT&T carried. Which is now on a newer Bold model again with VZW.

It's been my experience finding a 'live' iphone to play with is no easy task. The only person I know with one is an out of state relative. (She loves hers.) I feel funny scrolling through a stranger's personal phone for too long. At my VZW store was a dummy display, but an employee was kind enough to demonstrate her personal phone, an i4. (The video player on i4 blew me away. It's not something I normally use, but she wanted to show me the quality and started a Pixar movie she keeps for her kids. She said when they get to grandma's house they just hook the phone up to the TV and play movies through it. Anyway the Pixar animation was unreal on a phone!) I asked if I could try a sample text, quite frustrating, lots of errors. But that's not enough time to judge.

Yesterday I went into Best Buy and they finally had a real display iphone on. (Maybe theft is an issue, and/or they are trying to up sales to clear out i4 stock for i4S. Because typically there are either none in the display at all, or are dummy phones.) After sample typing texts, emails, and tapping here & there, the frustration eased rapidly, which told me adapting to typing wouldn't be terrible. I also found landscape mode more productive and comfortable. Portrait mode the 'keys' feel too close & I often hit the adjacent key instead. I did keep wanting to hit a "back" button. Some apps had a "back" icon, some didn't. Also out of habit wanted to "Close" an app. An employee told me (correctly or not, IDK) that hitting Home closes the open app so it's not running in the background anymore. That display i4 was able to make calls so I dialed local time/temp. That was an issue of concern. It was barely audible. IDK if it was the antenna, the building itself or what. (On my Bold I have to be near the front doors.) There was no cutting out...it was just so low, it sounded far off in the distance. Kept checking the volume, it was up all the way. I would be curious to know if that's common. Speaker phone was fine. The browser clicked open in an instant. Droids do that too tho. Anything is fast than my Bold, lol. Browser speed has been an ongoing issue, sometimes the wait is so long I give up.
    10-10-11 05:50 AM
    I find typing on landscape mode to be the easiest for longer emails and texts. But even the vertical keyboard is better than the keyboard on my 9800 which for the life of me would never recognize the "s" key and always type "a" instead.

My hands always hurt after typing a long email or text on the 9800, I don't know why. But I find it very awkward sometimes and even though the BlackBerry keyboards are the best, my hand shouldn't get sore. Typing on an iPhone virtual keyboard never made my hands sore.
    periwinklemoon likes this.
    10-10-11 07:05 AM
    Unwanted apps/icons can be tossed in a junk folder and hidden. I don't even understand why anyone would consider that.

10-10-11 07:18 AM
    I hid all of about 5 icons.

Some people may want to install these anyway. It's no worse than what one gets when they buy a new computer, typically all sorts of stuff that you never need.

The ipad has some junk also, stuff I don't need, never will and is taking up space. I guess I could delete it. But why bother?

My S2 has about 100meg of memory.
    10-10-11 08:21 AM
    Unwanted apps/icons can be tossed in a junk folder and hidden. I don't even understand why anyone would consider that.

Exactly. It would be different if the full applications were installed and were not able to be removed (thus taking up space you want for other things).

But as such, it's links. I hid mine and never looked back.
    10-10-11 08:23 AM
    I would recommend the OP take a look a the Blackberry 9850, its all touch screen but unlike the iPhone it has the traditional Blackberry navigation keys and trackpad. The iPhone has one button that you can press or press and hold. Just a thought.

10-10-11 09:18 AM
    I would recommend the OP take a look a the Blackberry 9850, its all touch screen but unlike the iPhone it has the traditional Blackberry navigation keys and trackpad. The iPhone has one button that you can press or press and hold. Just a thought.

Thanks, but that would remind me to much of the Storm 1. It was traumatizing

No one wants to even sell an iphone. It's all Droid they are pushing. And not so much as a glance in the direction of any berries.
    10-10-11 08:02 PM
    Thanks, but that would remind me to much of the Storm 1. It was traumatizing

No one wants to even sell an iphone. It's all Droid they are pushing. And not so much as a glance in the direction of any berries.
    Possibly will change in the next week? The problem with the iPhone coming out late to Verizon is that it wasn't new anymore. Verizon has also had a stronger relationship with Android devices, so marketing wise in store, makes sense to push Droids (the newer product).

For BlackBerries, I think based on consumer perception and media/tech perception, it's difficult to have your employees push berries, despite the fact that the individual customer might actually be best suited for that phone (again, not all phones are created equal and not all customers need/want the same thing).
    10-11-11 01:42 AM

I think if you are going to buy a phone without a keyboard, just get the 4S.
    10-12-11 10:54 AM
    I find typing on landscape mode to be the easiest for longer emails and texts. But even the vertical keyboard is better than the keyboard on my 9800 which for the life of me would never recognize the "s" key and always type "a" instead.

My hands always hurt after typing a long email or text on the 9800, I don't know why. But I find it very awkward sometimes and even though the BlackBerry keyboards are the best, my hand shouldn't get sore. Typing on an iPhone virtual keyboard never made my hands sore.
    The keyboard on the 9800/9810 sucks. The keys are very stiff with no travel. The 9900 is the only BB worth considering IMHO. Couldn't buy it on AT&T so switching to iPhone.
    10-12-11 10:56 AM
    A little off topic but (to the OP)... not much batt pulling going on with the 9900 and other os7 BBs
    10-13-11 09:48 AM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD