I'm really considering changing my phone to an iphone. But I need some convincing on your behalf. Would it be a good switch. I mainly use my phone for texting. Videos. Media. And do a lot of web browsing. Email is low for me but everything else I use a lot. Thanks again in advance.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-13-09 06:05 AM
    I'm really considering changing my phone to an iphone. But I need some convincing on your behalf. Would it be a good switch. I mainly use my phone for texting. Videos. Media. And do a lot of web browsing. Email is low for me but everything else I use a lot. Thanks again in advance.

Move to an iPhone, everything you use the phone for, an iPhone does it better than a BB.
    10-13-09 06:11 AM
    If those are the things you value in your smartphone, then def make the switch to the iPhone. For me, the web browser alone made it worth the switch, but the other things you mentioned are also better on the iPhone. Do it, and you can enjoy viewing Crackberry forums in the full web version instead of the mobile wapforum rendering like you are now doing from your berry.
    10-13-09 06:36 AM
    If those are the things you value in your smartphone, then def make the switch to the iPhone. For me, the web browser alone made it worth the switch, but the other things you mentioned are also better on the iPhone. Do it, and you can enjoy viewing Crackberry forums in the full web version instead of the mobile wapforum rendering like you are now doing from your berry.
    is there anything the iphone can't do that a bb bold can do other than "puah email"?

10-13-09 06:58 AM
    Funny to see this post... I have literally done exactly what you want to do and then did a u-turn!

I was using a BB 9000 Bold in the UK on T-Mobile and have been loving it. So far, this is a phone I have kept longer than 3 months! I was given a faulty iPhone 3G 8GB which I luckily managed to fix quickly and cheaply, and then decided to unlock, jailbreak and give it a go... Used it for about a month before getting fed up and moving back to my BB.

Below is my thoughts on the move

1. Email: yes the iPhone can handle virtually all email including MS Exchange etc, but it does NOT beat the BB in the way it handles e-mail. The e-mail app on the iPhone is slow, clumsey and also does not let you do simple tasks like flag emails etc.

2. Keyboard: the BB Bold Keyboard is a dream to use, even for someone with fat fingers like myself! the iPhone keyboard in portrait mode is too small, and in landscape mode is overly spaced out. The iPhone does however handle corrections well and its predictive input does help a lot with errors.

3. Browser: the iPhone browser is great, the scaling and rendering of pages is one of the best I have seen on a phone, but, it's only good on wifi. Over GPRS or 3G it is dead slow. Now the BB (5.0.0.238) has a great browser which renders just as well, and is fast, and previous to this, we had options such as Bolt, Opera, SkyFire etc.

4. Applications: Hands down the iPhone wins, especially if you have a jailbroken iPhone. There is certainly an app for virtually everything... But when you have 60+ apps on the phone, they become hard to find, and most likely you wont actually use any of them, its more of a gimmick to show your mates and that is all.

5. Battery: The Bold battery outlasts the iPhone's battery completely. I had to switch to 2G all day to make the phone last until 9pm from a 9am start. My BB lasts 2 days without a charge!

6. Feel/Quality: Both the same, although the iPhone is quite slippery without a case.

7. Communications: Most of my friends have a BB, and I have grown to love BBM, and realised I cannot live without it! Ping is now available for the iPhone, but it is rubbish in comparison.

Overall, the iPhone was fun, but that was all, in the real world, as a communications tool, the BlackBerry does it for me, and when my upgrade comes, I know what to get, being a BB 9700 Bold
    10-13-09 07:19 AM
    Funny to see this post... I have literally done exactly what you want to do and then did a u-turn!

I was using a BB 9000 Bold in the UK on T-Mobile and have been loving it. So far, this is a phone I have kept longer than 3 months! I was given a faulty iPhone 3G 8GB which I luckily managed to fix quickly and cheaply, and then decided to unlock, jailbreak and give it a go... Used it for about a month before getting fed up and moving back to my BB.

Below is my thoughts on the move

1. Email: yes the iPhone can handle virtually all email including MS Exchange etc, but it does NOT beat the BB in the way it handles e-mail. The e-mail app on the iPhone is slow, clumsey and also does not let you do simple tasks like flag emails etc.

2. Keyboard: the BB Bold Keyboard is a dream to use, even for someone with fat fingers like myself! the iPhone keyboard in portrait mode is too small, and in landscape mode is overly spaced out. The iPhone does however handle corrections well and its predictive input does help a lot with errors.

3. Browser: the iPhone browser is great, the scaling and rendering of pages is one of the best I have seen on a phone, but, it's only good on wifi. Over GPRS or 3G it is dead slow. Now the BB (5.0.0.238) has a great browser which renders just as well, and is fast, and previous to this, we had options such as Bolt, Opera, SkyFire etc.

4. Applications: Hands down the iPhone wins, especially if you have a jailbroken iPhone. There is certainly an app for virtually everything... But when you have 60+ apps on the phone, they become hard to find, and most likely you wont actually use any of them, its more of a gimmick to show your mates and that is all.

5. Battery: The Bold battery outlasts the iPhone's battery completely. I had to switch to 2G all day to make the phone last until 9pm from a 9am start. My BB lasts 2 days without a charge!

6. Feel/Quality: Both the same, although the iPhone is quite slippery without a case.

7. Communications: Most of my friends have a BB, and I have grown to love BBM, and realised I cannot live without it! Ping is now available for the iPhone, but it is rubbish in comparison.

Overall, the iPhone was fun, but that was all, in the real world, as a communications tool, the BlackBerry does it for me, and when my upgrade comes, I know what to get, being a BB 9700 Bold
    what was the worst thing about it that made you switch back? also do you use it for personal or business?

10-13-09 07:40 AM
    is there anything the iphone can't do that a bb bold can do other than "puah email"?

The iPhone actually does offer push email for both Yahoo and Gmail accounts now, but read my full review for more info:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f99/bla...ks-use-333330/
    10-13-09 09:10 AM
    what was the worst thing about it that made you switch back? also do you use it for personal or business?

I use it for both personal and business.

3 major things made me switch back -

> Battery - the iPhone was useless without carrying a charger everywhere!
    > Messaging - Email/IM, nothing beats a blackberry. I email lots, keyboard is essential!
    > E-Mail app - in a word - cr4p!
    10-17-09 03:00 AM
    is there anything the iphone can't do that a bb bold can do other than "push email"?

Yes multitasking. Thats the thing I miss the most about BB.

Get the iPhone 3GS, sounds like it will fit your needs. I'm extremely happy with the app store alone.
    And I haven't had the battery issues that others have.
    Last edited by Teek; 10-17-09 at 02:35 PM.
    10-17-09 10:27 AM
    I switched from a curve to a storm then to a bold, and now i gave in and got an iPhone, The ONLY thing I miss is the fact that you could switch between multiple applications on the berry without interrupting the one you're on. But overall I love the iphone for my personal use. To me blackberry is a better business phone hands down, and iPhone is more personal/fun use. I can't really say one is better than the other because they're two different worlds when you really think about it, almost like "hey is this Baja Trophy Truck better than this Pro Circuit Corvette?" you'll get different answers everytime just because everyone has personal preferences.
    10-17-09 01:10 PM
    I had this same problem however in my case I hadn't bought the BB yet. After doing a ton of research and comparing price I purchased an Iphone 3G yesterday with my upgrade it was only $99. I have to say I love this phone the web browser is awesome as well,I think for a $99 it can't be beat. for the things you mention you do with a smartphone I don't see how you can beat an Iphone.
    Here is a pic of my Iphone 3G along with some other things that are carried in my pockets on a daily basis.
    Last edited by 1911luver; 10-17-09 at 02:02 PM.
    10-17-09 01:52 PM
    Iphone is the best smartphone for all these needs, I suggest you make the switch!
    10-17-09 02:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD