All this battery stuff is driving me crazy. I'm about to just turn off the battery percentage and only throw my phone on the charger when it hits 20% or when I know I'm leaving the house for an extended period of time.

I have chargers everywhere, so really... it's not a big deal for me either way.
    ThePinkChameleon likes this.
    11-11-11 06:49 AM
    All this battery stuff is driving me crazy. I'm about to just turn off the battery percentage and only throw my phone on the charger when it hits 20% or when I know I'm leaving the house for an extended period of time.

LOL im about to do the same...last week i bought 3 white cable chargers. i now have one at my work desk in my office/my car/my house. LoL. im over this crap. still love the iPhone and not planning on going back to blackberry. who knows maybe its a hardware issue not software. anyways happy friday to all...enjoy your day and have fun at happy hour
    11-11-11 06:52 AM
    Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings
    11-11-11 07:19 AM
    I was really impressed by how fast and smooth the OTA update was. Backed up and updated without touching my Macbook. I kept looking at my phone going "surely this is either going to take forever, or something is going to go terribly wrong." Not so much!
    11-11-11 07:46 AM
    i think that could be true...i have PUSH on...i already started my work day...ive been txting and using my phone normal use..took phone off charger at 6am. it is now 7:40am...im at 87%. thats not right. prior to this update i was getting awesome battery life for the last week. when i got to work...40 minute commute i was at 91%. usually when i get to work im at 95%-97%. looks like this update didnt do much...im gonna monitor battery today...maybe PUSH really drains this battery down. if anything ill restore from my phone and back up via iCloud. thats what i did on iOS5 and managed to get stellar battery life...and ofcourse PUSH was set to off...i dont mind having other features off...but i would prefer PUSH to on...ive been reading on other forums...those that had awesome battery life on 5.0 updated to 5.0.1 and now are experiencing bad battery life. also those that had bad battery life on 5.0 have even worse on 5.0.1 and those who didnt noticed any difference. oh no......here we go again....LoL

LOL im about to do the same...last week i bought 3 white cable chargers. i now have one at my work desk in my office/my car/my house. LoL. im over this crap. still love the iPhone and not planning on going back to blackberry. who knows maybe its a hardware issue not software. anyways happy friday to all...enjoy your day and have fun at happy hour
    I'm with you guys on this with prob going to turn the batt percentage symbol off....i've been stressing also with this. Watching my stats everyday---i've gone as far as taking a ss last thing at night before i plug in(@10pm) to charge overnight so i know what my previous stats have been I do know that on iOS5 i was averaging 4/5 hrs usage and 14/15 standby with left over at the end of a day with 20-25% battery--so a loss of 75-80% daily.

Now with the 5.1 update i will watch it and see if i get the same, worse or better with it. i can say after the update last night, i plugged in during the update so my batt was at 99% when finished--from then my stats up to now are 2h48m usage/15h33m standby and i'm down to 52%--a loss of 47% so far. So i *guess* thats not too bad

I have a question for both of you, Sj & moiselles, are you going to run the battery completely dry till your device shuts down and then put a full fresh charge to it? or are you just "bump charging" it whenever you have access to one. I'm just curious, because like i mentioned over at Tipb, there are so many diff things that people do or say to do/not to do. it can get confusing !!
    pri79269 likes this.
    11-11-11 07:57 AM
    Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings
    ty for this A-Post. I just did this now as well, lets hope this helps too !!

hey, every little bit of battery that can be saved counts
    11-11-11 07:59 AM
    i let my battery run down ONCE per month. Every update i reset my network settings like Accidental Post mentioned. That just resets your wifi settings/passwords. It it true battery from 100-85% drains faster. Its been over 1HR and its been steady at 85% so thats not bad. I believe we mentioned this yesterday on this thread. FYI...my PUSH has been ON since update...im not turning it off. Overall I can say im satisfied. Will stop putting so much thought into this battery issue. today is friday. it is a holiday. happy hour!!!!! LoL yes i live in Miami and i party
    11-11-11 08:15 AM
    Ok, I thought I was going crazy. I actually seem to have worse battery life now, not much but I thought it would get a bit better? Glad I'm not the only one.

I have push on for work and gmail. I know this is a drain but I have to have these on.
    Location services off.

Other than that, all settings are pretty mild to preserve battery. Any other suggestions?
    11-11-11 08:28 AM
    i let my battery run down ONCE per month. Every update i reset my network settings like Accidental Post mentioned. That just resets your wifi settings/passwords. It it true battery from 100-85% drains faster. Its been over 1HR and its been steady at 85% so thats not bad. I believe we mentioned this yesterday on this thread. FYI...my PUSH has been ON since update...im not turning it off. Overall I can say im satisfied. Will stop putting so much thought into this battery issue. today is friday. it is a holiday. happy hour!!!!! LoL yes i live in Miami and i party
    ok, then for that fact, i did my ONCE drain down last Friday when i first got my 4S, which i think you were the one that game me the advice to do

Yes, i know the once you get to 85% it starts to level off. I actually turned all PUSH off and have my email set to fetch every 30mins instead. Aol & Yahoo seem to work better for me this way.

Yes, agreed--need to stop stressing about the battery thing and just enjoy our 4S's as well as it being Friday, and a holiday !! Cheers, have a drink for me (I cant due to the meds i take for diabetes)

ps-i also did the reset network thing already too
    11-11-11 08:37 AM
    keep in mind apple did release iOS 5.0.1 beta 2 to developers last week. who knows maybe Apple releases another update this month. Knowing Apple im sure they are on top of things....if having PUSH to ON i get good battery ill leave it like that if not ill go back to fetch @ 30 mins interval.
    11-11-11 08:43 AM
    maybe CYDIA has the real battery fix with a jailbreak for I4S LoL...FYI...after this update i did notice my Sprint 3G data speeds are better...i use the SpeedTest app. ive always been very satisfied with sprint's 3G speed...
    Last edited by sj-performance; 11-11-11 at 09:07 AM.
    11-11-11 08:54 AM
    Battery since switching to 5.0.1. Honestly, I don't feel a difference. But I never had a major battery issue before.

11-11-11 09:08 AM
    Question. On the Apple website, it lists the following for internet use:

•Internet use: Up to 6 hours on 3G, up to 9 hours on Wi-Fi
    What's the difference between using the internet on 3G and on Wi-Fi and why would you have more mileage using Wi-Fi?

Usually when I'm at home I use Wi-Fi just because my 3G connection isn't that great. However, I turned Wi-Fi off because we went out of town and didn't want my phone always searching for a Wi-Fi connection. Haven't turned Wi-Fi back on since we got home yesterday and last night my battery didn't feel the same as it usually did. Could this be because I was using 3G and not Wi-Fi?
    11-11-11 09:14 AM
    Question. On the Apple website, it lists the following for internet use:

What's the difference between using the internet on 3G and on Wi-Fi and why would you have more mileage using Wi-Fi?

Usually when I'm at home I use Wi-Fi just because my 3G connection isn't that great. However, I turned Wi-Fi off because we went out of town and didn't want my phone always searching for a Wi-Fi connection. Haven't turned Wi-Fi back on since we got home yesterday and last night my battery didn't feel the same as it usually did. Could this be because I was using 3G and not Wi-Fi?
    i use wifi all the time here at work and home. battery lasts less on 3G because data speed isnt always constant and can experience changes...depending on area you are in and what not. this puts a lot of stress on battery. with wifi you get a constant speed with no interruptions...when you drive your car in stop and go traffic your MPG suffers...but when you driving at a constant speed with no stop and go...your MPG goes thru the roof. same thing with 3G vs wifi. that is why i prefer to have wifi ON at work and home. ive always done this with my previous phones that had wifi (blackberry) i dont care how good your 3G speed is...nothing beats WiFi and 4G is a myth lol
    moiselles likes this.
    11-11-11 09:33 AM
    Wifi is less taxing and doesn't use the cell radios that will drain the power faster.

Do three things to enable wifi and maintain your battery.

Leave wifi on
    Connect to the network(s) you want to
    Turn OFF "Ask to Join Networks"

This means it will automatically join those networks when in range but won't be constantly looking for others to join.
    11-11-11 09:42 AM
    isn't it true that when your iphone goes to sleep, your wifi is turned off and you use your phone data? and that the only way it stays on while asleep is if you plug in the phone?
    11-11-11 10:09 AM
    Wifi is less taxing and doesn't use the cell radios that will drain the power faster.

Leave wifi on

This means it will automatically join those networks when in range but won't be constantly looking for others to join.
    This is exactly how I have it and best way to have wifi on an won't drain so much battery. Before I did this I noticed everywhere I drove it kept on picking up all the wifi spots available and this would cause a huge battery drain. Whenever I get to my house/office/moms house/sisters/Starbucks location I always go to it just connects to wifi instant since I have passwords stored etc
    11-11-11 10:11 AM
    Ok, reset network connections. Changed my Wi-Fi so it won't always ask to join random Wi-Fi connections. Charging back to 100% and we'll go from there.
    11-11-11 10:24 AM

Leave wifi on

This is exactly how I have it and best way to have wifi on an won't drain so much battery. Before I did this I noticed everywhere I drove it kept on picking up all the wifi spots available and this would cause a huge battery drain. Whenever I get to my house/office/moms house/sisters/Starbucks location I always go to it just connects to wifi instant since I have passwords stored etc
    Ok, so let me see if I understood this correctly if I follow the settings you guys use for wifi as mikos posted, then when I'm home it'll just hook up to wifi automatically and then if I leave my house it'll jump right back to 3G?

Now 2nd part of that question, when I'm home and hooked into my wifi, do email still come thru normally?

Tia.

(Believe it or not, even when I had my bb I never took advantage of the wifi option. I'd always forget to turn it on and then if I did, I'd leave the house and lose total connection and wonder why I'm not rec'ing anything and then realize I had to turn my 3G back on lol. )
    11-11-11 10:25 AM
    ^ Wi-Fi never worked properly on my BlackBerry. Or maybe it was just too complicated to try to figure out. But I never bothered with Wi-Fi on my BlackBerry.

I remember being on an airplane that offered in the air Wi-Fi and I was trying to hook it up on my BlackBerry and my BlackBerry wasn't responding even though I was following all the instructions. I gave up.
    walds11 likes this.
    11-11-11 10:32 AM
    I was under the assumption that when you leave your wifi range that it will search for a wifi network, so when i leave the house i shut mine off .. am i correct?
    11-11-11 10:36 AM
    ^ Wi-Fi never worked properly on my BlackBerry. Or maybe it was just too complicated to try to figure out. But I never bothered with Wi-Fi on my BlackBerry.

I remember being on an airplane that offered in the air Wi-Fi and I was trying to hook it up on my BlackBerry and my BlackBerry wasn't responding even though I was following all the instructions. I gave up.
    The only place I've ever used my wifi on my bb when I did remember to, was at home, and I never had an issue hooking it up to the wifi network.
    11-11-11 11:05 AM
    Ok since the update, have any of you noticed that when charging and finally getting to 100% that 1) it seems to take a while to be at 'full charge' and 2) the lighting bolt that shows while charging doesn't change to the plug when fully charged. I just did a reboot and plugged back in to see what happens this time around.

Ok, no change, but if I unplug and then plug right back in it'll show the 'plug' and that it's 100%. Any ideas as to why this would happen?
    Last edited by iPinkk; 11-11-11 at 11:53 AM.
    11-11-11 11:17 AM
    Ok, so let me see if I understood this correctly if I follow the settings you guys use for wifi as mikos posted, then when I'm home it'll just hook up to wifi automatically and then if I leave my house it'll jump right back to 3G?

Now 2nd part of that question, when I'm home and hooked into my wifi, do email still come thru normally?

Tia.

(Believe it or not, even when I had my bb I never took advantage of the wifi option. I'd always forget to turn it on and then if I did, I'd leave the house and lose total connection and wonder why I'm not rec'ing anything and then realize I had to turn my 3G back on lol. )

YES and YES. emails still come thru. everything works normal. though on wifi everything works better and faster. remember your using constant non interrupted data connection.
    11-11-11 11:39 AM
    I was under the assumption that when you leave your wifi range that it will search for a wifi network, so when i leave the house i shut mine off .. am i correct?
    Wifi ON and Ask to Join network OFF is your best bet. whenever youre at a friends house..you wont be alerted that theres wifi in range. you have to manually open wifi settings and u will see list of wifi spots available. now with join network ON you will get alerted and u get pop up screen everytime theres a wifi spot in range. this drains more battery. ofcourse the best thing is that when you arrive to our location turn wifi ON and when you leave wifi OFF...but thats annoying. i have mine set like mentioned and im good.
    11-11-11 11:44 AM
621 ... 910111213 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD