Update:

Just got back from my Apple store. Seems Exchange PUSH maybe the culprit. Turned my account to fetch every15 mins will let you all know. The "genius" showed me his phone standby was at 1 day 14 hours and had 40% battery left. I told him set mine up like yours......
    Last edited by Accidental Post; 11-02-11 at 01:25 PM.
    11-02-11 01:08 PM
    so i just finishing restoring my iphone 4s. deleted everything. started from new set up. restored from iCloud. 1 gmail/2 aol accounts/1 yahoo set to fetch @ every 30 mins. and iCloud only one on push. i downloaded a fresh copy of ios5 from itunes. so now i shall see if things get better. i read online where many have done this and problem solved. wish me luck. iCloud is a lifesaver..
    11-02-11 01:15 PM
    Did you backup to iCloud?
    11-02-11 01:17 PM
    Did you backup to iCloud?
    yes before i erased everything. i backed up my pictures/apps/etc. my contacts NO..since thats sync with my gmail.
    11-02-11 01:22 PM
    Ok looks like we have the basic same setup. Guess what I will be doing tonight????
    11-02-11 01:24 PM
    Update:

Just got back from my Apple store. Seems Exchange PUSH maybe the culprit. Turned my account to fetch every15 mins will let you all know. The "genius" showed me his phone standby was at 1 day 14 hours and had 40% battery left. I told him set mine up like yours......
    I'm curious... what's the difference between Fetch and Push? Mine was set to Push but to Fetch manually. I'm going to turn my Push off and set my Fetch to hourly. I don't use email for work so it's not a big deal to have it update on it's own once an hour. I'm just curious if the Push really effects the battery that much, even though I haven't had a real issue with my battery.
    11-02-11 02:09 PM
    I'm curious... what's the difference between Fetch and Push? Mine was set to Push but to Fetch manually. I'm going to turn my Push off and set my Fetch to hourly. I don't use email for work so it's not a big deal to have it update on it's own once an hour. I'm just curious if the Push really effects the battery that much, even though I haven't had a real issue with my battery.
    when you google push vs fetch...mostly all agree push will take up more battery than fetch. i believe with push is a constant contact with ur emails server. fetch contacts mail server depending on how you set it. even on fetch i still notice my emails coming in pretty fast. on the blackberry it was faster but really no big difference. im very satisfied. correct me if im wrong about push vs fetch....
    11-02-11 02:14 PM
    It seems that there is an issue with PUSH mail. Push means when it hits the server you get it. Fetch means just that I will fetch my email at this interval...15 30 60 mins and so on.

Although my battery still sucks with all accounts fetching.
    11-02-11 02:15 PM
    Thanks SJ! Let us know know your new settings affect your battery. I'll keep an eye on mine too and report back. Just took it off the charger and changed the email settings, so I'll let you guys know more tomorrow.
    11-02-11 02:16 PM
    Ok looks like we have the basic same setup. Guess what I will be doing tonight????
    ok remember. back up on icloud first. then connect to itunes and restore. itunes will download ios5 which took about 30 minutes. then once done...disconnect from itunes and start from ur iphone and back up from icloud option. 2 things ive noticed since finishing up at 1:30 or so. my battery at 97% in which before would be in the 80's. and phone doesnt feel warm anymore...crossing my fingers
    Accidental Post likes this.
    11-02-11 02:19 PM
    Thanks SJ! Let us know know your new settings affect your battery. I'll keep an eye on mine too and report back. Just took it off the charger and changed the email settings, so I'll let you guys know more tomorrow.
    your welcome. im starting to know more and more about this iphone iOS. i was with blackberry for 6 years and knew everything about hybrids/leaks/fixing brick blackberrys. your blackberry needed a fix..i would fix it. so im bringing all my blackberry talents to iPhone lol but this battery issue has me a messed up lol
    11-02-11 02:29 PM
    your welcome. im starting to know more and more about this iphone iOS. i was with blackberry for 6 years and knew everything about hybrids/leaks/fixing brick blackberrys. your blackberry needed a fix..i would fix it. so im bringing all my blackberry talents to iPhone lol but this battery issue has me a messed up lol
    I think stand by runtime is awesome on my iPhone 4. Ill have to play with those discussed settings

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    11-02-11 02:32 PM
    fyi...im reading alot and seeing many mentioned same things that has helped alot. if you dont need PUSH email...set it for fetch. even on gmail which i have it via exchange its on fetch and im still getting emails just fine and on time. and something i just figured this out and helps alot. go to settings/facebook/ turn OFF all facebook PUSH notifications. do not worry...you will still get an alert on ur FB icon. i thought by turning off PUSH i wouldnt get an alert. i was wrong. i just tested it and it does go thru. these 2 things are improving battery life heavily. again we know ios5 on iphone 4s does have an issue. but we can do much to remedy that for the moment. im sure apple will release an update to solve this...
    Last edited by sj-performance; 11-02-11 at 06:29 PM.
    joe_fresh likes this.
    11-02-11 02:51 PM
    Thanks for the Facebook tip sj ! I had all the push notifications On because like you, I didn't think I'd get any alerts otherwise. That's good your phone isn't getting hot anymore!

Tomorrow I might play around with emails and see how it goes if I turn Push off and use Fetch. Can't really complain about my battery, but am curious to see if it does even better.
    11-02-11 07:45 PM
    Thanks for the Facebook tip sj ! I had all the push notifications On because like you, I didn't think I'd get any alerts otherwise. That's good your phone isn't getting hot anymore!

Tomorrow I might play around with emails and see how it goes if I turn Push off and use Fetch. Can't really complain about my battery, but am curious to see if it does even better.
    Your welcome. The Facebook push OFF had been on my mind till I finally read about and finally tried it out. I've been getting my Facebook alerts and emails just fine and on time with push OFF. I'm trying to practice everything I learned from my blackberry years to iPhone iOS 5. Tell you what I was losing 12%-15% percent p/hour. After I did the restore with a fresh iOS 5 install that I downloaded from iTunes and setting Facebook/emails OFF I'm losing 7%-8% percent p/hr...not bad. And my phone is running at normal temperature. I can live with this for now...trusting Apple will update and fix this battery issue soon.
    11-02-11 07:57 PM
    So even with Push Off for Facebook you still get an alert?
    11-02-11 08:09 PM
    Yup...try it. Have someone post on your your Facebook wall and you will notice you will get an alert instantly on your Facebook icon on ur iPhone. Try it and post your finding....
    Last edited by sj-performance; 11-02-11 at 08:15 PM.
    11-02-11 08:13 PM
    Ok so what is the push for then? And with email I have
    One set to fetch every 15 min. With push still on. Should I slide push to off ?
    11-02-11 08:23 PM
    Ok so what is the push for then? And with email I have
    One set to fetch every 15 min. With push still on. Should I slide push to off ?
    You have both push on and fetch on because you must have an email that only does fetch. FYI your iCloud email does push. You can leave push ON. Just make sure all emails on fetch instead of push. Though tommorrow I might just turn push OFF completely. I have my fetch at 30 min and emails coming in at a good pace with no significant delays
    11-02-11 08:32 PM
    Ok. So i went to the Facebook deal in settings and there were a dozen or so icons to turn off. All should be set to off correct ?
    11-02-11 08:37 PM
    never mind i just re-read some posts.
    11-02-11 08:49 PM
    Ok. So i went to the Facebook deal in settings and there were a dozen or so icons to turn off. All should be set to off correct ?
    Correct. That's all PUSH notifications
    joe_fresh likes this.
    11-02-11 08:50 PM
    i can say im very satisfied after i restored my iphone with fresh install from itunes. at 1pm i was at 100%...driving home stuck in traffic i updated 2-3 apps...wifi on at office and home...11pm...ten hours later battery at 35%...do the math...65% lost battery charge divided into 10 hrs...thats a total of 6.5% of battery lost p/hour. this is awesome considering prior to this afternoon i was frustrated and losing 12%-15% p/hour battery charge. and my iphone is not getting hot anymore
    periwinklemoon likes this.
    11-02-11 10:13 PM
    Excellent news!

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    11-02-11 11:34 PM
    Apple acknowledges iphone battery issues, plans to upgrade software.

Apple acknowledges iPhone battery issues, plans to upgrade software - San Jose Mercury News
    periwinklemoon likes this.
    11-03-11 12:49 AM
621 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD