If you are one of the many people that have upgraded to the iPhone 4S, you may have been experiencing some issues with your battery. Since the release of the iPhone 4S, many users have been complaining and trying to look for a way to resolve the issue while others have contemplated switching back to an older iOS device until Apple resolves the issue. It appears that a fix has been found though, all you have to do is: turn your “Setting Time Zone” switch to OFF in the Settings > Location Services > System Services (at the bottom of the page).

What has been noticed by many is that when you switch this feature OFF, the standby time has gone up significantly. After testing this on an iPhone 4S, the new iPhone only lost 5% of its total battery life. The tip originally stems from Oliver Haslam, who noted that the bug likely lives inside iOS 5 and not necessarily within the iPhone 4S hardware. The “Setting Time Zone” ends up tracking constantly instead of periodically, causing the battery time to be severely cut down. According to Haslam, the folks over at iDownloadblog ran some tests as well and saw the same result

Respond to this thread let me know your results please.............
    Last edited by Accidental Post; 10-31-11 at 07:55 AM.
    10-31-11 07:39 AM
    been doing this since day one. also turn off location-based iAds. this has helped but not by much. i believe apple knows ios5 has something within thats causing the battery life issue. im sure with an update 5.1 things will get much better.
    ThePinkChameleon likes this.
    10-31-11 08:30 AM
    Great. Turn off features and the battery lasts longer.

So, if one was to turn off the phone completely, the battery might last forever?

10-31-11 08:40 AM
    Thanks AP!
    I turned it off and will keep an eye on it and post back.

Since sj-performance mentions iAds, I'm wondering what others have their settings at on that screen? iAds is On, I don't recall turning it on, don't even know what it is?

Other I have:
    Call Network Search: On
    Compass Calibration: On
    Diagnostics & Usage: On
    Location-Based iAds: On
    Setting Time Zone: Off (was On till just now)
    Traffic: On

Status Bar Icon: Off (didn't see this way at the bottom, might be handy? )

Appreciate any input on those others.
    10-31-11 08:47 AM
    Baaza the only thing your turning off is the auto time zone detect. If you don't leave your time zone often why use it anyway?
    10-31-11 08:49 AM
    Status Bar Icon: Off same way since day 1...ive noticed a big help setting these items to off. again i believe apple with fix things with a 5.1 update. i believe problems is software not hardware. theres a culprit inside ios 5 lol
    10-31-11 08:50 AM
    Baaza the only thing your turning off is the auto time zone detect. If you don't leave your time zone often why use it anyway?
    exactly. im always in same eastern time zone. so its off. when i do travel i will ofcourse set to on.
    10-31-11 08:52 AM
    Is this for iPhone 4 users as well? I haven't noticed any significant battery drain since using iOS 5, and I have been on it since beta 1.
    10-31-11 09:13 AM
    Thanks AP!
    I turned it off and will keep an eye on it and post back.

Since sj-performance mentions iAds, I'm wondering what others have their settings at on that screen? iAds is On, I don't recall turning it on, don't even know what it is?

Other I have:
    Call Network Search: On
    Compass Calibration: On
    Diagnostics & Usage: On
    Location-Based iAds: On
    Setting Time Zone: Off (was On till just now)
    Traffic: On

Status Bar Icon: Off (didn't see this way at the bottom, might be handy? )

Appreciate any input on those others.
    In terms of off/on:

I'm assuming call network search hooks you up with your cell towers, so I'd keep that on.

Compass Calibration I'd have on if you use location-based services frequently (esp. orientation apps)

Diagnostics and Usage is up to you (whether you want to send stuff to Apple or not)

Location based iAds basically will send you iAds in apps that support it based on your location (say local dealership or restaurant). Disable if you don't look at ads.

I'm not sure what traffic refers to here, so can't tell you.

Status bar icon is one of those things that show the little arrow at the top when something is using your location; useful if you like to keep track of those sorts of things.
    ThePinkChameleon likes this.
    10-31-11 09:17 AM
    Is this for iPhone 4 users as well? I haven't noticed any significant battery drain since using iOS 5, and I have been on it since beta 1.
    This is only iphone4s running iOS5 experiencing battery issues I believe
    Yep, all iOS 5 users from what I can tell, but again, I think everyone's mileage has been varying from the get-go.
    Avt do you have that in your settings about auto time zone? If you do I would turn it off. Or get a new phone.............
    10-31-11 09:32 AM
    In terms of off/on:

I'm assuming call network search hooks you up with your cell towers, so I'd keep that on.

Compass Calibration I'd have on if you use location-based services frequently (esp. orientation apps)

Diagnostics and Usage is up to you (whether you want to send stuff to Apple or not)

Location based iAds basically will send you iAds in apps that support it based on your location (say local dealership or restaurant). Disable if you don't look at ads.

I'm not sure what traffic refers to here, so can't tell you.

Status bar icon is one of those things that show the little arrow at the top when something is using your location; useful if you like to keep track of those sorts of things.
    Thanks very much, soccernamlak!
    10-31-11 09:55 AM
    Maybe the fact that I had that turned off right from the beginning is why the battery thing never got me lol. I are smart!
    Last edited by reeneebob; 10-31-11 at 10:06 AM.
    10-31-11 10:02 AM
    Because it was an excuse to mock apple? Facts should never get in the way of mocking apple.
    ilguy likes this.
    10-31-11 10:03 AM
    This is only iphone4s running iOS5 experiencing battery issues I believe
    Ok no doubt.

Yep, all iOS 5 users from what I can tell, but again, I think everyone's mileage has been varying from the get-go.
    Yea it seems some are and some aren't.

Avt do you have that in your settings about auto time zone? If you do I would turn it off. Or get a new phone.............
    Yea I have it on, but like I said no significant battery drain at all. I guess I'll turn it off just for the **** of it. I stay on the East Coast anyways.
    10-31-11 10:11 AM
    maybe the fact that i had that turned off right from the beginning is why the battery thing never got me lol. i are smart!

yes you be!!!!!!!!!!!
    10-31-11 11:25 AM
    Because it was an excuse to mock apple? Facts should never get in the way of mocking apple.
    Can't help but feel that all the whizz-bang auto-connectivity hyped and built into iOS 5 is causing some considerable drag on the battery here - the device auto-syncing/backup with iCloud, it calling home for updates, auto-syncing with your desktop iTunes wirelessly (if this last bit turned on).

Its all very well and good to add features, but if the battery isn't made to cover them, then you must choose between functionality or longevity - hardly something you should be battling with in a smartphone.

Mock Apple? Me? Hardly need to.
    11-01-11 08:01 AM
    It's one setting. One. Good god. The auto time zones. It's the only one I turned off. The system time zone from cell towers is still on.

All the other iCloud stuff you listed (and contrary to your thinking) only backs up when your phone is plugged into power and on wifi. You can manually check for an update (if you choose to do again unless the phone is holding a gun to your head not the fault of the OS), but you can't manually wi-fi sync or backup as the option is greyed out until the phone is plugged into the charger.

How is THAT a battery drain/OS failing?

At least research before you try to act superior. Good lord.

Don't let actual reality interfere with your agenda or anything.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by reeneebob; 11-01-11 at 10:52 AM.
    Accidental Post and moiselles like this.
    11-01-11 10:45 AM
    Can't help but feel that all the whizz-bang auto-connectivity hyped and built into iOS 5 is causing some considerable drag on the battery here - the device auto-syncing/backup with iCloud, it calling home for updates, auto-syncing with your desktop iTunes wirelessly (if this last bit turned on).

Its all very well and good to add features, but if the battery isn't made to cover them, then you must choose between functionality or longevity - hardly something you should be battling with in a smartphone.

Mock Apple? Me? Hardly need to.
    Only does the bolded ones when plugged in and on Wifi for the iCloud backup.
    11-01-11 11:54 AM
    I unplugged my phone at 7 am at this point i am sitting at 75% but then again today is light usage for some reason. and i did turn off the time zone setting as i am strictly on the east coast. granted i am going to put it to charge here shortly because i know for a fact that when i get home i will be on the phone quite a bit
    11-01-11 12:19 PM
    Only does the bolded ones when plugged in and on Wifi for the iCloud backup.
    Ah, right. Thanks.

Still, it seems my 'mockery' wasn't entirely wrong -

Apple genius: 'Turn off your phone' for better battery life | Fully Equipped - CNET Reviews

Looks like this is the next AntennaeGate, but without Jobs' testy emails to users blaming them for how they use the phone. There'll be months of denial from Apple and the Macoyltes to the problem, while the riff-raff disable settings to make their phone work as intended - and eventually Apple will take ownership of the problem and produce a fix. Until then, it's the tech equivalent of a rubber bumper...
    11-01-11 12:35 PM
    My battery is great. I unplugged it from a full charge almost 24 hours ago and it's at 19% now. That's a full day. I don't think it's unrealsitic or wrong that a phone has to be charged once every 24 hours. Seems reasonable to me.
    11-01-11 01:22 PM
    i unplugged mine at 6:15 am today...wifi on entire time at my work office...usage @4hours 3 minutes and standby @8 hours 25 minutes...battery @ 35% as i type this..it is 2:30 pm...what you think? it could be better
    11-01-11 01:30 PM
    I am at usage 3hrs 55 mins standby 5hrs 30 mins....This is after an OS reset. Placing call with Apple tomorrow if no change at least get case number.
    11-01-11 02:51 PM
621 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD