Ok, I know I could search these questions, but I am in a little bit of a hurry and just have a few questions.

I have the BB Tour and like it, but have always wondered about the Iphone being a former Mac guy...

What is the current availability at stores like Best Buy? I am in kind of a remote area so I would have to drive a little ways to get one. Local ATT stores do not have any.

Is the ATT return policy 30 days for both service and the phone? Any small writing that I should be aware of?

I plan on keeping my VZ account and phone while trying out the Iphone so the return policy may very well come into play.

Thanks for any help

Mike
    09-05-09 10:56 AM
    In my experience, you should be more worried about verizon's return policy with the tour. Once you get the 3gs your not going to even think about that tour. I'm in a similar situation as yourself, as I'm on week 2 of my 3gs (trial) and I also have a bb storm w/ verizon. I've already cut all features on my blackberry (blocked txt's, canceled vvm..etc) and am currently looking for a cheap phone to transfer service to so I can get rid of the data plan in attempts to get monthly bill as low as possible. I want to keep my verizon account open b/c most of my family has verizon and can still freely call my #, I just foward calls to my iphone.

As far as availabilty, I would definitely call to verify if they have any in stock prior to driving a long distance. In my area, there is no shortage in apple or at&t stores though. Best bet would be to call and see if they will set you one aside while you make the drive.

You'll never look at another phone the same after purchasing the 3gs.

I'm not trying to start a flame, just speaking from my experiences. My wife has the tour and it's a good phone, however it's definitely not an Iphone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-05-09 11:28 AM
    In my experience, you should be more worried about verizon's return policy with the tour. Once you get the 3gs your not going to even think about that tour. I'm in a similar situation as yourself, as I'm on week 2 of my 3gs (trial) and I also have a bb storm w/ verizon. I've already cut all features on my blackberry (blocked txt's, canceled vvm..etc) and am currently looking for a cheap phone to transfer service to so I can get rid of the data plan in attempts to get monthly bill as low as possible. I want to keep my verizon account open b/c most of my family has verizon and can still freely call my #, I just foward calls to my iphone.

As far as availabilty, I would definitely call to verify if they have any in stock prior to driving a long distance. In my area, there is no shortage in apple or at&t stores though. Best bet would be to call and see if they will set you one aside while you make the drive.

You'll never look at another phone the same after purchasing the 3gs.

I'm not trying to start a flame, just speaking from my experiences. My wife has the tour and it's a good phone, however it's definitely not an Iphone.

Thanks for the response. It is a tough one for me. I use my BB mainly for setting calendar appointments, texting, browsing and reminders along with emails. It is not used for business purposes, except the calendar which I don't sync, but type in reminders.

I love Blackberries for what they do and ease of use (for me). I really like the Tour and think it is a great phone. There is just that part of me that has always wanted to try the Iphone. I do hate how uncustomizable they area compared to the blackberries (i.e. themes, backgrounds etc), but I do like the many apps.
    09-05-09 11:42 AM
    I'm in the same boat as you. I tried the Tour on verizon, and returned it (30 days was about to be up) and I wanted to take the 3gs for a spin. So far, i'm incredibly happy with the 3g and service.

However, with that said, I'm still up in the air.

The blackberry definitely offers better email support. I can even push my college email with it. It feels like a sturdier phone in general, i'm not worried about keeping it in my pocket afraid to crack the screen; which is my biggest concern with the iphone. With the iphone i can't even check my college email, not even on the browser! Which is a total let down.

As far as battery life is concerned, I don't remember having problems with the Tour. Maybe that's just because the browser felt clunky and i didn't use it as much. Which is a huge possibility; but i do know i can't make it a full day without seeing a charger with the iphone, although for some reason the charge seems to be lasting longer. I did buy a car charger for this reason though, so the battery life is a small issue if any.

So pretty much for me it boils down to this:

Which is more important (for me)

Being able to check my college email: Blackberry
    Customer Service: Blackberry
    Durability: Blackberry
    Texting: Blackberry

Browser: Iphone
    Customization: Iphone
    Stability: Iphone
    Apps: Iphone

So yea, I still don't know what to do
    09-05-09 12:00 PM
    I'm in the same boat as you. I tried the Tour on verizon, and returned it (30 days was about to be up) and I wanted to take the 3gs for a spin. So far, i'm incredibly happy with the 3g and service.

However, with that said, I'm still up in the air.

The blackberry definitely offers better email support. I can even push my college email with it. It feels like a sturdier phone in general, i'm not worried about keeping it in my pocket afraid to crack the screen; which is my biggest concern with the iphone. With the iphone i can't even check my college email, not even on the browser! Which is a total let down.

As far as battery life is concerned, I don't remember having problems with the Tour. Maybe that's just because the browser felt clunky and i didn't use it as much. Which is a huge possibility; but i do know i can't make it a full day without seeing a charger with the iphone, although for some reason the charge seems to be lasting longer. I did buy a car charger for this reason though, so the battery life is a small issue if any.

So pretty much for me it boils down to this:

Which is more important (for me)

Being able to check my college email: Blackberry
    Customer Service: Blackberry
    Durability: Blackberry
    Texting: Blackberry

Browser: Iphone
    Customization: Iphone
    Stability: Iphone
    Apps: Iphone

So yea, I still don't know what to do
    You mentioned a lot of my concerns as well. I was able to locate one at a bestbuy about 45 minutes from here. They are holding it for me now. I will sign up for the month and give it a run while keeping my Tour and Verizon. If anything else, I can at least say I tried it out. No plans on porting my number right away either.
    09-05-09 12:24 PM
    Customization =iPhone ????

Ringtones
    Message alerts
    Wallpaper on homescreen
    Alerts
    Mp3's as ringtones even to specific contacts
    Seperate email inboxes/combined email inboxes
    Themes

The ONLY the iPhone has going for it is the browser and a good stocked app store END OF, touch screen is a gimmick fad that's not as reliable or as responsive or as accurate as a keyboard.

When will people see Apple make products for the dumb. Simple to use, impossible to mess up, you have to disengage any user input into customisation. Apple say you have to have square shaped icons on a black screen, that's it, Apple say you can only multitask stock apps, that's it. But throw a good browser in and youtube app and an app store and everyone will forgive/overlook such basics that's phones have had 10 years ago.

09-05-09 12:25 PM

Ringtones
    Message alerts
    Wallpaper on homescreen
    Alerts
    Themes

The ONLY the iPhone has going for it is the browser and a good stocked app store END OF, touch screen is a gimmick fad that's not as reliable or as responsive or as accurate as a keyboard.

When will people see Apple make products for the dumb. Simple to use, impossible to mess up, you have to disengage any user input into customisation. Apple say you have to have square shaped icons on a black screen, that's it, Apple say you can only multitask stock apps, that's it. But throw a good browser in and youtube app and an app store and everyone will forgive/overlook such basics that's phones have had 10 years ago.

Yes, customization goes to the Iphone AFTER jailbreaking. An iphone before jailbreaking is pointless. Heh, i'll agree

But even IF we give that to the blackberry or negate it, the concerns still stand.
    09-05-09 12:29 PM
    Having to void your warranty to install 3rd party apps to gain any sort of customization is crazy. And then to have to update and re jailbreak every firmware update. Its obvious the iPhone is capable of it its just that Apple deny it!

09-05-09 12:38 PM

Ringtones
    Message alerts
    Wallpaper on homescreen
    Alerts
    Themes

some people amaze me.

Ive been a long time bb lover/owner. That being said i just switched to the 3gs and it blows the storm / curve out of the water completely. Sure it isnt as customizable out of the box but who cares its a perfect working phone. No need for constantly tweaking/updating software etc.

As far your question goes i had better luck at my ATT store. My bestbuy had 0 in stock. Also w/ att they gave me a 50 dollar credit per phone that i ported out. So instead of the 280 in term fees it was 180. not horrible. Not sure if that pertains to you or not tho as it looks like ur within your 30 days w/ verizon.
    09-05-09 12:39 PM
    Having to void your warranty to install 3rd party apps to gain any sort of customization is crazy. And then to have to update and re jailbreak every firmware update. Its obvious the iPhone is capable of it its just that Apple deny it!

You don't void you're warranty, you just restore if you have to bring it in. But yea, rejailbreaking every patch is a pain in the ***. Now instead of bashing, back and forth, i'm trying to figure out the better phone with valid arguments, not mud slinging.

I might just go into a 1 year with the tour and if verizon gets the iphone switch then, that way i can stay with verizon (the lesser of the two evils imo)
    09-05-09 12:54 PM
    Lmao. I hate plain out bashers. Reminds me of grade school kids. I think all are valid arguments but really just comes down to personal preference. I am on my way to pick up a 3gs to try. Still keeping my tour for now

09-05-09 01:04 PM
    Just read the jail break how to. Easy to do and I love tinkering. I did much more warranty voiding things to my bb. Att will be the big question. Plan on giving iphone a fair shake

09-05-09 01:21 PM
    Just read the jail break how to. Easy to do and I love tinkering. I did much more warranty voiding things to my bb. Att will be the big question. Plan on giving iphone a fair shake

09-05-09 01:30 PM
    Typing on new 3gs

09-05-09 01:59 PM
    how you liking it mjs31? I got used to the typing very very fast on it.
    09-05-09 02:26 PM
    Typing one handed now quickly

09-05-09 03:00 PM
    Ok home now. Typing is not bad at all. Much improved from earlier touch model. New phone fun but I am liking it big time. A lot to learn though. I would like to have more vibrate options so I am hoping there is an app to do this. So far so good with ATT in my area was well. Tricks to using the touch screen is a must. I know they gave a little booklet with it, but there is more to learn than just that. Amazing how much better web surfing is with this phone. I will never knock blackberry since I believe they are truley amazing phones, but in the extrememly SHORT period I have used this phone, I could see switch happening. This is really only because I am not a power email user though. ****...I like gadgets and the Iphone is right up there. Adding Jailbreak to the equation will make it even more so.

Last edited by mjs31; 09-05-09 at 03:59 PM.
    09-05-09 03:12 PM
    I'm just sayin......

09-05-09 04:54 PM
    Biggest thing I have seen so far should be something that is so easy for apple to add. Why can I not mark all emails as read? Simple simple simple feature that should have been put in long ago.
    09-05-09 05:22 PM
    if you are planning on test driving the iphone then do it through an actual at&t store. Alot of best buys will activate a phone but if you decide to take it back then they will refund you for the phone but they won't cut your service because there computers can't do this. Combine that with an at&t phone rep saying they can't cut it, it has to be done where the phone was returned and you have one **** of an afternoon
    09-05-09 07:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD