09-17-12 06:31 AM
    Good time to post some predictions from our membership, too.

Mark my words: the I phone5 will go down as a complete failure, to consumers, due to the flaws.

I guess it's sorta kinda possible for this to still come true...
    09-17-12 06:59 AM
    If the 4s broke all the records, this one was also bond to do so. It'll always happen.

Maybe its just me, but i live in a world were theres no extra money for anything else than food.

Don't know how in a world of crisis 20 million phones can be sold in 2 weeks. lol But that's just me

Sent from a old but beautiful BB 8520 or a new and shinny PB 2.0
    09-17-12 07:06 AM
    There's still lots of people out there with plenty of disposable income. Plus a lot of people sold their old phone and put that money towards a new phone.
    Last edited by JohnEnglish; 09-17-12 at 07:20 AM.
    09-17-12 07:16 AM
    Good time to post some predictions from our membership, too.
    Yeah, this is the kind of dumb stuff I was talking about in the other thread. I mean really, how much of a blind fanboy do you have to be to think that the iPhone 5 will be anything other than a massive success.
    09-17-12 07:26 AM
    Good for apple. They better enjoy it while they can.
    09-17-12 07:37 AM
    Yeah, this is the kind of dumb stuff I was talking about in the other thread. I mean really, how much of a blind fanboy do you have to be to think that the iPhone 5 will be anything other than a massive success.
    That's just absurd.

You don't have to be a "fanboy" to have a differing opinion to someone else, you do though have to be a fanboi to follow every other fanboi - "oh me want new shiny thing with half eaten fruit on back because it's slightly better than the one I spent $600 a year ago. Can I please burn my money sir" - in getting something which is FAR from being the best on the market.

Of course the iPhone 5 was going to sell at lot, it doesn't mean that it's anything great though.

The fact Apple have sold loads and loads of iPhone 5's, says more about the blind following of the people, than it does of the iPhone itself.

Si.
    09-17-12 08:30 AM
    If the 4s broke all the records, this one was also bond to do so. It'll always happen.

Maybe its just me, but i live in a world were theres no extra money for anything else than food.

Don't know how in a world of crisis 20 million phones can be sold in 2 weeks. lol But that's just me

Sent from a old but beautiful BB 8520 or a new and shinny PB 2.0
    Well almost everyone I know who is upgrading is selling a previous version of the iphone to cover the cost. Pretty simple. Although my feeling is that people do have plenty of disposable income and the world is not "in crisis" as some would like people to believe but that's a whole nothing story. Either way, my ebay offer for my iPhone 4s is locked in and I'll be picking up my iPhone 5 on Friday without anyone in my home missing any meals.
    09-17-12 08:41 AM
    The fact Apple have sold loads and loads of iPhone 5's, says more about the blind following of the people, than it does of the iPhone itself.

Si.
    Yes because anyone who picks a phone that works for them is clearly blind. Darn those people thinking they know what's best for them. Not sure why they wouldn't want to purchase a BB10 device. Where and when can I get one of those anyway?
    09-17-12 08:45 AM
    That's just absurd.

You don't have to be a "fanboy" to have a differing opinion to someone else, you do though have to be a fanboi to follow every other fanboi - "oh me want new shiny thing with half eaten fruit on back because it's slightly better than the one I spent $600 a year ago. Can I please burn my money sir" - in getting something which is FAR from being the best on the market.

Of course the iPhone 5 was going to sell at lot, it doesn't mean that it's anything great though.

Si.
    It's not absurd at all. The iPhone 5 will be a massive success I don't see how anyone can possible deny that. AT&T sold 2 million iPhone 5s in 24 hours. The fact that Apple sells so many iPhones says that they make a product that people want to buy. Dismissing people who buy Apple products as mindless drones is the same attitude that got RIM into its current prediciment.

Everyone other phone manufacturer whishes they had the same "problem" as Apple. They wish they could sell a "slightly" up graded model each year and sell more and sell out fast each time.
    Last edited by JohnEnglish; 09-17-12 at 09:57 AM.
    pri79269 likes this.
    09-17-12 09:51 AM
    Yes because anyone who picks a phone that works for them is clearly blind. Darn those people thinking they know what's best for them. Not sure why they wouldn't want to purchase a BB10 device. Where and when can I get one of those anyway?
    That's not what I said, but thanks for the comment.

Si.
    09-17-12 09:59 AM
    It's not absurd at all. The iPhone 5 will be a massive success I don't see how anyone can possible deny that.
    As you quoted me, I'm guessing you're refering to my comment, and if you read the second paragraph, I said: "Of course the iPhone 5 was going to sell at lot"

Si.
    09-17-12 10:31 AM
    That's just absurd.

Si.
    If you believe that its only the "blind faithful" that contributed to Apple's success you must in turn be blind. Or merely in denial.

People are buying the eco-system, the entire package, its more than just a phone which is exactly why the "phone itself" doesn't have to be "anything great". It just has to work great with the rest of the eco-system. Desktop, TV, tablet and phone, all in sync and working together seamlessly without any user intervention. For example, take a photo on your iPhone and it'll appear on your Mac, iPad and apple TV automatically. Who else does that at the moment?

People (and other manufacturers) focus too much on a single device and miss the big picture entirely. Narrow mindedness has caused a number of companies to fall behind since 2007. It doesn't matter if the iPhone is "far from being the best on the market", that's simply not important anymore except to a blind few.

FYI, as for the "greatness", new benchmarks show that it beats anything currently on the market, for what its worth. (as everything appears to boils down just to specs these days).

First iPhone 5 Geekbench results: Dual Core A6 more than doubles iPad 3 score, narrowly beats high-end Androids | 9to5Mac
    Last edited by xandermac; 09-17-12 at 10:56 AM.
    09-17-12 10:39 AM
    As you quoted me, I'm guessing you're refering to my comment, and if you read the second paragraph, I said: "Of course the iPhone 5 was going to sell at lot"

Si.
    Well you bolded my comment where I aksed "how much of a blind fanboy do you have to be to think that the iPhone 5 will be anything other than a massive success" and you replied with "That's absurd." I said it's not absurd to acknowledge that the iPhone is going to be a massive success.
    09-17-12 10:54 AM
    All this shows is that the masses have spoken... Apple doesn't need to really innovate right now. The average customer will buy it regardless.

I know the formula with the nice "new" shiny features has worked in the past.. but my hopes are that the average Apple consumer will get smarter as they slowly realize they are continually (annually) getting taken... cause once that happens Apple will cease it meteoric rise and begin to stagnate. Technology will keep moving forward without them.
    09-17-12 11:07 AM
    I know the formula with the nice "new" shiny features has worked in the past.. but my hopes are that the average Apple consumer will get smarter as they slowly realize they are continually (annually) getting taken...
    Yeauh, not the formula I'm afraid. Once again, its the entire eco-system, not 1 single device (and especially not specs). Others will make up ground when they implement a system that works just as well but not until then.
    09-17-12 11:11 AM
    iPhone 5 is interesting but not exciting. But Apple will sells tons of it. May be Apple is the only company in the world that can sell sh!t and lots of iFans will still buy it.
    09-17-12 11:36 AM
    Yeauh, not the formula I'm afraid. Once again, its the entire eco-system, not 1 single device (and especially not specs). Others will make up ground when they implement a system that works just as well but not until then.
    You can say this till your blue in the face, but it just occurred to me that when I was using a BB as my daily driver, the ecosystem argument would have been lost on me too. I don't think people will understand that the iPhone is just the gateway device that brings in people to a smooth ecosystem.

To a BB or Android enthusiast who is resentful of Apple's dominance, it is easy to key in on "sheep" and miss the bigger picture.

Painful as it sounds, I find it fascinating that in the most fickle consumer society in the universe (North America), a company can keep most of their customers happy. They are doing something right. RIM folks admit it, but I understand the thought of acknowledging that is too painful for some enthusiasts.

It's a lesson RIM has learned, and I think is working hard to adjust to: it NEVER is about a single device. It isn't about specs. It isn't about conspiracies to hold companies down. it's about creating mindshare via striving to have the most inclusive and coordinated ecosystem out there.

At least, to me it is. Even though I don't use Apple products (okay, except my Apple keyboard for the Nook Colors), I do no have a problem tipping my hat to them.
    xandermac likes this.
    09-17-12 11:50 AM
    I think apple does fine or better than fine. I also think there are many tired of it and would use something else except they don't want to leave their apps and have to buy them again so they just stay with it. Granted there are some that just love the iphone and some that would buy it even if it totally sucked just because it's apple.

That goes for all brands. I really don't care about their sales or records because I'm not making the record profits. Same goes for RIM, I don't care how bad their sales and profits are until my stuff from them no longer works I'm not doing record losses on them either.
    09-17-12 12:04 PM
    I think apple does fine or better than fine. I also think there are many tired of it and would use something else except they don't want to leave their apps and have to buy them again so they just stay with it. Granted there are some that just love the iphone and some that would buy it even if it totally sucked just because it's apple.

That goes for all brands. I really don't care about their sales or records because I'm not making the record profits. Same goes for RIM, I don't care how bad their sales and profits are until my stuff from them no longer works I'm not doing record losses on them either.
    I don't disagree. I think it is important for RIM to have ports of important apps for their devices for that reason alone.

When I went Platform hunting, two work apps that I NEEDED to have on any new platform were YouVersion and HanDBase. I relied on them so much that I was willing to stick with BB if I couldn't find them elsewhere.

Having key apps available removes an excuse of people invested elsewhere.
    09-17-12 12:39 PM
    Woohoo, OP, Mission accomplished... Got the argument started that you were obviously looking for. Bravo... *slow clap*

Now add more claims of victimization...
    09-17-12 12:52 PM
    People are buying the eco-system, the entire package,
    Though I agree that people are being sold on the "eco-system" most don't tie their Apple equipment together. So many using their devices (all OS's) for taking pictures, texting and some emailing. If it wasn't for the carriers subsidizing devices the smartphone landscape would not look anything like it does now.
    09-17-12 09:43 PM
    Though I agree that people are being sold on the "eco-system" most don't tie their Apple equipment together. So many using their devices (all OS's) for taking pictures, texting and some emailing. If it wasn't for the carriers subsidizing devices the smartphone landscape would not look anything like it does now.
    I know a number of people with iPhones. All of them, without fail, at the very least are linked to their PC with iTunes. They all use iCloud, they all use photo stream. Granted, only a handful have apple tv and an ipad but they're all using one form of device linking or another. Yes, this is only among my tiny sample group but it wasn't like this before they had iPhones.

Sent from my iPhone4s using Tapatalk
    09-18-12 05:47 AM
    Right. Even if you take away the whole "linking devices" aspect everyone I know with an iPhone uses iTunes. Sure they could use a non-Apple phone and an iPod but like several of my friends say "Why would I want to carry around two devices?"
    09-18-12 07:03 AM
    All I know is, I buy what I like and what I can get the most use out of.

I use to buy BlackBerry's, now I don't.

I wanted more from my BlackBerry phones, apps! and a smooth operating system but RIM couldn't deliver when I needed it most. I was growing envious of iPhone owners and the abundance of really USEFUL apps (no, not fart apps) available on the appstore.

So I thought, stuff it! I have no brand loyalty! as soon as I was able to I put my Storm2 up for sale and bougt the iPhone 4, so far I've been happy with my decision and never looked back.

And because I'm HAPPY with the Apple service and products, I have gone ahead and ordered the iPhone 5 because I know Apple deliver on promises. Simple.
    09-18-12 09:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD