Hi, I'm a total stranger to iPhone, but I'm now in between switching either to iphone or blackberry.
    I'd really like to know several infos about both phones before I decide which to buy.

here, i'd like to ask about jailbreaking.

is jailbreaking safe?

will the iphone freeze or stop updating the software/firmware when it is jailbroken?

can the apple company know whether an iphone is jailbroken or not? because there was an issue regarding windows xp back several years ago in my country. the computers which were suspected by the microsoft to contain an unoriginal copy of windows xp operating system couldn't receive upgrades from microsoft. will it happen to a jailbroken iphone?

i've read articles saying jailbroken iphones are more vulnerable. is that true?

thanks
    02-23-10 11:40 AM
    Hi, I'm a total stranger to iPhone, but I'm now in between switching either to iphone or blackberry.
    I'd really like to know several infos about both phones before I decide which to buy.

is jailbreaking safe?

will the iphone freeze or stop updating the software/firmware when it is jailbroken?

can the apple company know whether an iphone is jailbroken or not? because there was an issue regarding windows xp back several years ago in my country. the computers which were suspected by the microsoft to contain an unoriginal copy of windows xp operating system couldn't receive upgrades from microsoft. will it happen to a jailbroken iphone?

thanks
    A Jailbroken iPhone is bascially a hacked iPhone that allows you to unlock the features and capabilities of the iPhone OS that Apple has restricted. In some cases, jailbreaking can cause your phone to be a little buggy. It depends on the jailbreak method and the OS version. I have experienced some kinks here and there but nothing significant and nothing frequent.

Jailbreaking does not restrict your phone from updating the firmware, but once you do, you lose the jailbreak because you have to hook it up to iTunes and updating the OS basically backups your device info and settings, wipes it, upgrades it and then restores the setting and info from the backup. And have to use the updated jailbreak method/application for your OS when available.

Apple will know if they see your phone. Jailbreaking installs a certain application on your phone. And if you needed to take it to an apple store, the first thing they will look for is Cydia which let's them know it's jailbroken. So what most people do is, restore the phone then go back to apple and once Apple fixes your issue, re-jailbreak it.

At the end of the day it is up to you if you want to jailbreak it or not. The process takes less than 5 mins and is totally reversable. Some people like doing it for the extra features and customization and some people don't because they are satisfied especially with everything that was included in 3.0.
    02-23-10 12:38 PM
    If you're buying a fresh 3GS, unless they have old iPhone with 3.1.2 on it, you can forget about jailbreaking it for now as it does not exist for that firmware. Heck, even if you're on 3.1.2, you probably won't be able to restore by normal means through Apple.
    02-23-10 02:46 PM
    Make sure you buy a 3GS on firmware version 3.1.2. If you don't, then you're going to be unable to jailbreak until a Dev Team releases a jailbreak for a new firmware, which is most likely going to be when Apple releases version 4.0.

But jailbreaking is perfectly safe. Its not illegal in any way, so you should be fine as long as you don't install every single mod/tweak you see in Cydia.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-23-10 03:05 PM
    Make sure you buy a 3GS on firmware version 3.1.2. If you don't, then you're going to be unable to jailbreak until a Dev Team releases a jailbreak for a new firmware, which is most likely going to be when Apple releases version 4.0.

But jailbreaking is perfectly safe. Its not illegal in any way, so you should be fine as long as you don't install every single mod/tweak you see in Cydia.

It probably won't be that long. They usually release a new jailbreak within a couple weeks of the newest firmware update.
    02-23-10 03:19 PM
    It probably won't be that long. They usually release a new jailbreak within a couple weeks of the newest firmware update.
    It would be a waste to use it on the 3.1.3 firmware. It's a useless update that just fixes a couple small bugs. The Devs know this and aren't going to waste an exploit on it.
    02-23-10 08:39 PM
    I have one question - I thought that because jailbreaking is basically a hack of Apple's product, that it would be considered an illegal act. Yet a poster above said it wasn't. Can someone explain that?

I mean, ultimately, it's like cutting the stupid tag off the mattress, but I'm curious to know. I'm not that familiar with Apple's products other than my iPod, so I'm wondering how easy it would be for an Apple newbie if I 1)got the 4G and 2)jailbroke that 4G.
    02-24-10 06:06 AM
    If you're buying a fresh 3GS, unless they have old iPhone with 3.1.2 on it, you can forget about jailbreaking it for now as it does not exist for that firmware. Heck, even if you're on 3.1.2, you probably won't be able to restore by normal means through Apple.
    what if i buy the phone months later, let's say on june or july? will the jailbreak be available by june/july?
    when is the release date of 4G?

btw, do you mean that i cant restore the iphone with 3.1.2 once i've jailbroken it?
    02-24-10 07:52 AM
    what if i buy the phone months later, let's say on june or july? will the jailbreak be available by june/july?
    when is the release date of 4G?

btw, do you mean that i cant restore the iphone with 3.1.2 once i've jailbroken it?
    Apple usually comes out with a new iphone around june every year, this of course does not mean that a jailbreak for iphone OS 3.1.3 will be available for sure by then.

If you have 3.1.2 you will be able to restore the phone to factory settings and jailbreak it once again if that is what you want. Now keep in mind the new 3Gs like mine have the new boot (hardware thingy) that won't allow you to do an untethered jailbreak. This means that if your phone runs out of battery or if you turn it off by mistake, you won't be able to "turn on" the phone without plugging it into your computer and running the jailbreak once again.

To me this is just too tedious and outweights jailbreaking it so i upgraded to 3.1.3.
    Last edited by dcgore; 02-24-10 at 08:11 AM.
    02-24-10 08:09 AM
    Apple usually comes out with a new iphone around june every year, this of course does not mean that a jailbreak for iphone OS 3.1.3 will be available for sure by then.

If you have 3.1.2 you will be able to restore the phone to factory settings and jailbreak it once again if that is what you want. Now keep in mind the new 3Gs like mine have the new boot (hardware thingy) that won't allow you to do an untethered jailbreak. This means that if your phone runs out of battery or if you turn it off by mistake, you won't be able to "turn on" the phone without plugging it into your computer and running the jailbreak once again.

To me this is just too tedious and outweights jailbreaking it so i upgraded to 3.1.3.
    you dont jailbreak your phone, then?

in other words, i need an untethered jailbreak in order to have a jailbroken new iphone function well?
    02-24-10 08:20 AM
    you dont jailbreak your phone, then?

in other words, i need an untethered jailbreak in order to have a jailbroken new iphone function well?
    When i had 3.1.2 i did jailbreak the phone and it was fun for a while but i was worried the phone was going to run out of battery on me when i am not next to my computer. Even if i found a charger the phone will be unoperable until i would run the jailbreak again.

So the phone does run just fine but make sure you don't turn it off or runs out of battery if you're not next to a/your computer where you can run the jailbreak again or all you'll see is the connect to itunes icon on the screen until you do so.
    02-24-10 08:26 AM
    what if i dont upgrade to newer firmware, and stick to older one which has been jailbroken? will i be able to receive updates like security updates etc from apple?
    02-24-10 08:34 AM
    It would be a waste to use it on the 3.1.3 firmware. It's a useless update that just fixes a couple small bugs. The Devs know this and aren't going to waste an exploit on it.
    There are other resources for jailbreaking beside the Dev team that release a jailbreak update for each OS update. Usually since the OS update isn't very major, updating the jailbreaking application is very minor. I use Blackra1n and since 3.0 there as been a updated jailbreak for each OS update and there is no reason to believe otherwise at this point. They realize that some people with buy brand new iPhones that come loaded with 3.1.3 so they will release a jailbreak and unlock for that as well. You can read the article below that let's everyone know that they are working on a jailbreak for 3.1.3.

Jailbreak iPhone 3.1.3
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 02-24-10 at 08:42 AM.
    02-24-10 08:39 AM
    what if i dont upgrade to newer firmware, and stick to older one which has been jailbroken? will i be able to receive updates like security updates etc from apple?
    Well, security updates usually come with a OS update so once there is a jailbreak for 3.1.3 you'll be able to upgrade to this OS and get its benefits and of course jailbreak it. For now if you want to jailbreak your phone you have to stick with 3.1.2 which is the latest OS with a jailbreak.
    02-24-10 08:58 AM
    I have one question - I thought that because jailbreaking is basically a hack of Apple's product, that it would be considered an illegal act. Yet a poster above said it wasn't. Can someone explain that?

I mean, ultimately, it's like cutting the stupid tag off the mattress, but I'm curious to know. I'm not that familiar with Apple's products other than my iPod, so I'm wondering how easy it would be for an Apple newbie if I 1)got the 4G and 2)jailbroke that 4G.
    It's your phone and you can do what you want with it. You will need to restore before taking to apple. The tag on mattresses is illegal for a seller to cut the tags off, not the consumer.
    02-24-10 09:35 AM
    It's your phone and you can do what you want with it. You will need to restore before taking to apple. The tag on mattresses is illegal for a seller to cut the tags off, not the consumer.
    Yah...I meant that mattress thing as a joke pretty much for the same reason. I just want to know if I were to do something like jailbreaking what the implications of taking it to Apple without restoring.
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 02-24-10 at 09:50 AM.
    02-24-10 09:45 AM
    Yah...I meant that mattress thing as a joke pretty much for the same reason. I just want to know if I were to do something like jailbreaking what the implications of taking it to Apple without restoring.
    There is a small dark room in the back of every Apple store where they take people who have jailbroken their iphones and they beat you thats right I said it they will beat you with a louisville slugger until you are rendered unconscious or you beg them for forgiveness for jailbreaking your phone.

Sorry i had to but seriously they will just tell you they cant help you because you jailbroke the phone.
    02-24-10 08:41 PM
    There are other resources for jailbreaking beside the Dev team that release a jailbreak update for each OS update. Usually since the OS update isn't very major, updating the jailbreaking application is very minor. I use Blackra1n and since 3.0 there as been a updated jailbreak for each OS update and there is no reason to believe otherwise at this point. They realize that some people with buy brand new iPhones that come loaded with 3.1.3 so they will release a jailbreak and unlock for that as well. You can read the article below that let's everyone know that they are working on a jailbreak for 3.1.3.

Jailbreak iPhone 3.1.3
    I know that there are other people besides the iPhone Dev Team that can hack the iPhone and 3.1.3 firmware. What I'm saying is that the hackers, such as the dev team, chronic dev, geohot, etc., wouldn't waste an exploit on something small like 3.1.3. It would be a much wiser decision to just wait for the 4.0 firmware to be released. That benefits more people in the long run since we all know thousands of people are going to buy the new iPhone.

02-25-10 04:14 PM
    I know that there are other people besides the iPhone Dev Team that can hack the iPhone and 3.1.3 firmware. What I'm saying is that the hackers, such as the dev team, chronic dev, geohot, etc., wouldn't waste an exploit on something small like 3.1.3. It would be a much wiser decision to just wait for the 4.0 firmware to be released. That benefits more people in the long run since we all know thousands of people are going to buy the new iPhone.

You obviously didn't read he article attached to the link I posted where the DEV TEAM is working on a 3.1.3 jailbreak. They work on a jailbreak for each OS update, regardless of how insignificant you may think it is. They know that some people buy new iphones that have the latest OS so they keep up to date with jailbreaks. They do not wait for only major updates to released one. What do you mean waste and exploit as if they have a certain number they can use and once it's used up, it's gone. Each OS and baseband has a different exploit so whatever exploit they may find on 3.1.3 may not work on the next OS so it's only a waste if they don't use it. By your logic, there shouldn't be a jailbreak for 3.1.2 right now. Go back and read the article and let us know if you think they are working on one. And if you do not feel like clicking the link, I'll paste some of it for you....

iPhone Dev Team Discovers Another Exploit For iPhone OS 3.1.3 Baseband - iPhone Hacks

There is more good news for iPhone users who want to jailbreak and unlock their iPhone.

MuscleNerd of the iPhone Dev Team has tweeted that just re-discovered a crashing command that yellowsn0w, the iPhone unlocking software was originally going to use.

It means that he has found another working exploit for the baseband bundled in iPhone OS 3.1.3, which should help them figure out a way to jailbreak and unlock the latest iPhone OS.

The iPhone hacking community has already discovered two working exploits for the baseband 05.12.01 that is bundled in iPhone OS 3.1.3....

....In any case, since the iPhone Dev Team and Geohot have one or more working exploits for the latest baseband, they could soon release tools to jailbreak and unlock iPhone OS 3.1.3.
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 02-26-10 at 09:11 AM.
    02-26-10 09:02 AM
    There is a small dark room in the back of every Apple store where they take people who have jailbroken their iphones and they beat you thats right I said it they will beat you with a louisville slugger until you are rendered unconscious or you beg them for forgiveness for jailbreaking your phone.

Sorry i had to but seriously they will just tell you they cant help you because you jailbroke the phone.
    yup, thanks. I was just trying to find out what I'd have to put up with if I did that....
    02-26-10 10:23 AM

is jailbreaking safe?

thanks
    let me make this simple

Jailbreaking is safe if you know what you are doing. (if you fail you may have to rejailbreak)

After is it jailbroken and you update your firmware, you will lose the jailbreak and have to rejailbreak,

They are more vulnerable to viruses because the fact that it will allow you to download unaprooved applications from cydia rock or icy (jaibreak thing)

There has been a few people who recently had their itunes accounts frozen for having a jailbroken ipod on it
    but you can create a new account (you will be unable to sync old song purchased from the app store.)
    02-26-10 11:10 AM
    Hahah, scorpiodsu, that link doesn't confirm that they are working on a jailbreak, just that they have found some exploits they can use. Sure, they might jailbreak 3.1.3, but I really hope they just save their exploits for the 4.0 firmware.
    02-26-10 03:38 PM
    Hahah, scorpiodsu, that link doesn't confirm that they are working on a jailbreak, just that they have found some exploits they can use. Sure, they might jailbreak 3.1.3, but I really hope they just save their exploits for the 4.0 firmware.
    Ok so the fact that the article says they could release a jailbreak for 3.1.3 soon means that they are not working on it? I would think it's would be pretty hard for them to release a jailbreak for it without working on it. The whole article is about them finding exploits to jailbreak and unlock 3.1.3. Anyway, I'm done. Nothing else to say as the article speaks for itself and when they release it you can still live in denial since they have released one for EACH and EVERY OS update ever.
    02-26-10 05:58 PM
    Just because they can doesn't mean they will.
    02-26-10 06:00 PM
    Just because they can doesn't mean they will.
    Alrighty. We will see.
    02-26-10 06:23 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD