Here in the UK Apple had launched their new iPad as being "Wifi + 4G" when the 4G iPad will never be able to connect to any future 4G networks.
    Tonight, the Guardian paper is reporting that the Advertising Standards Authority has ruled against Apple's branding and marketing of a 4G iPad in the UK.
    It's about time that Apple were brought down a peg or two.

ASA forces Apple to withdraw claims new iPad has '4G capability' | Technology | guardian.co.uk
    05-02-12 05:44 PM
    Here in the UK Apple had launched their new iPad as being "Wifi + 4G" when the 4G iPad will never be able to connect to any future 4G networks.
    Tonight, the Guardian paper is reporting that the Advertising Standards Authority has ruled against Apple's branding and marketing of a 4G iPad in the UK.
    It's about time that Apple were brought down a peg or two.

ASA forces Apple to withdraw claims new iPad has '4G capability' | Technology | guardian.co.uk
    Thanks for posting this.

I fully agree that Apple needs to be held accountable. However I think this is even more important for another reason. Showing that even Apple will be held accountable, when it has been sliding through very similar instances along with other companies is VERY IMPORTANT. This sends the message that people are starting to realize the truth and that EVERY COMPANY has obligations to stay true to their word.

I have been getting a lot of flak since this whole incident started and I believe that it is partly my fault because I have been using ONLY this case as an example. I dont want to single Apple out, but the fact is that THEY are the ones that are CURRENTLY in the news and so I used that example. I believe, and I think that we should all believe, that we as consumers have THE RIGHT to be treated fairly... and having companies blatantly lie to us without consequence needs to stop. This is step one.
    05-03-12 12:27 AM
    laughs at no one posting here even though this is HUGE news
    05-03-12 03:11 PM
    laughs at no one posting here even though this is HUGE news
    Probably because no one cares. Apple is in about 20 other legal battles...

Also, I think most people knew this was going to happen. Marketing it as a 4G device in areas where it can't be used as a 4G device is asking for trouble...
    05-03-12 03:30 PM
    so because people knew that they lied it shouldnt be talked about...

hmmm, interesting logic.
    05-03-12 03:31 PM
    so because people knew that they lied it shouldnt be talked about...

hmmm, interesting logic.
    The only thing here that is interesting is your lack of reading comprehension skills. I didn't say it shouldn't be talked about. Your brain made that up.
    05-03-12 04:24 PM
    The only thing here that is interesting is your lack of reading comprehension skills. I didn't say it shouldn't be talked about. Your brain made that up.
    lmao... angry much?

i read what you posted. no one cares about it. and LOGICALLY if no one cares about something then no one will talk about it. the question is WHY does no one care?
    05-05-12 03:30 PM
    lmao... angry much?

i read what you posted. no one cares about it. and LOGICALLY if no one cares about something then no one will talk about it. the question is WHY does no one care?
    I'm not angry at all. What is there to be angry about?

I don't know why people don't care. I don't care because I knew this was going to happen. I am also from the US, so this case doesn't mean much to me. If it was advertised as a 4G iPad in the US but the US didn't have 4G, then it might bother me. Otherwise, it is a 4G iPad, just not 4G in their markets. Apple will be paying the price. All will be well in the world.
    05-05-12 05:17 PM
    It seems that even the mighty Apple can be made to bow down.
    I checked the UK Apple store and the 3rd gen iPad branding has been changed from "Wi-Fi + 4G" to "Wi-Fi + Cellular" within the past few days.
    Apple can easily afford the best brains, so how did they get themselves into this position in the first place?

http://www.imore.com/2012/05/12/appl...wifi-cellular/
    Last edited by YorkieRay; 05-13-12 at 06:04 PM.
    05-13-12 05:46 PM
    It doesn't bother me partly because I had done my research way before I bought my iPad and realised 4G wouldn't be possible...therefore I went with WiFi. To be honest I would have went with WiFi regardless...

But I DO see the value news like this brings to the consumer. And your right companies should be accountable for misleading the consumer.
    05-15-12 08:27 AM
    It doesn't bother me partly because I had done my research way before I bought my iPad and realised 4G wouldn't be possible...therefore I went with WiFi. To be honest I would have went with WiFi regardless...

But I DO see the value news like this brings to the consumer. And your right companies should be accountable for misleading the consumer.
    Exactly! this is a non-issue IF PEOPLE DO THEIR OWN RESEARCH, but the sad fact is that people just believe everything they see. I actually know someone who bought a iPad2 w/ 3G because the person at the Apple store told him 'sometimes it is really difficult to get wifi in your house, and for a small fee you dont have to worry about that' ... and this person BOUGHT 3G and HAS NEVER USED IT! lol

Again, this doesnt happen with JUST Apple... this is a MUCH BIGGER PROBLEM!

(why he didnt return it after he realized he got duped is a different story)
    05-15-12 03:39 PM
    'sometimes it is really difficult to get wifi in your house, and for a small fee you dont have to worry about that'
    I don't know how you "lol" and "facepalm" at the same time. Is it LacePalm, or FaceLol?

Either way, I do like hearing things that salesmen say to make a sale!

Barljo
    05-16-12 02:42 AM
    I don't know how you "lol" and "facepalm" at the same time. Is it LacePalm, or FaceLol?

Either way, I do like hearing things that salesmen say to make a sale!

Barljo
    It would make a great 'found footage' film wouldnt it? lol
    05-16-12 03:14 PM
    Hey, negative apple news! Nice, should I freak out like the other babies & try to get the thread closed?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    05-16-12 04:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD