09-29-10 10:51 AM
    the iphone will come to Verizon once lte is up and running so we can't avoid that. apple wants the iphone on Verizon and so does Verizon.

I predict a Verizon iphone by summer 2011.
    09-29-10 10:58 AM
    the iphone will come to Verizon once lte is up and running so we can't avoid that. apple wants the iphone on Verizon and so does Verizon.

I predict a Verizon iphone by summer 2011.
    I say 2012
    09-29-10 11:02 AM
    From a business stand point it is a win-win for both companies. Verizon has some of the best coverage and the iPhone is a huge customer draw. I will never understand why a company like Apple would have an exclusive with any one provider. It just doesn't make since.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-29-10 11:08 AM
    From a business stand point it is a win-win for both companies. Verizon has some of the best coverage and the iPhone is a huge customer draw. I will never understand why a company like Apple would have an exclusive with any one provider. It just doesn't make since.

Because they wanted sole control over their product which is starting to bite them in the arse
    09-29-10 11:20 AM
    Simple actually. Apple demands a percentage of each phone sold. VZW doesn't do that. typical apple greed really...that's why.
    09-29-10 11:24 AM
    I would say chose a network first, then a phone. The iphone no longer is epidemic like it was, plenty of options that won't leave you feeling apple deprived like you would have a year ago. I won't defect even if apple shows up. One thing is for sure...apple set the standard, but that is subjective now...good intellectual article.
    09-29-10 11:32 AM
    Verizon and Apple are two very powerful companies, and they are in a pissing match with one another. I don't know if they will ever be able to come to terms, to bring an iPhone to Verizon. At this point with Android doing so well, Apple needs Verizon more then Verizon needs Apple.
    09-29-10 11:33 AM
    Simple actually. Apple demands a percentage of each phone sold. VZW doesn't do that. typical apple greed really...that's why.
    It is greed on both ends. VZW wants what VZW wants and Apple wants what Apple wants. It is hard to come to an agreements when both companies have so much power and are just as stubborn. VZW was the greediest carrier and most locked down of them all before they started supporting Android. They were so locked down and set on MAKING you use their services instead of better or free/cheaper alternatives. I was an AT&T users mostly because they allowed me to do what I wanted (and have excellent coverage in my area). Android changed this though, but I will never forget Verizons old intentions.

The sad thing now is they may even be coming back. With VZW stance on net neutrality, and all this bloat they are putting on devices WITHOUT letting you delete it unless you root, is just pathetic. I know AT&T is locking side loading and Sprint puts some of their stuff on there (don't know if it can be deleted stock), but Verizon seems to be loading it on the most. Apple would NEVER allow that on THEIR device. Also, forget about VZW branding on the iPhone.

If/when the iPhone comes to VZW, VZW should just keep their hands off it. It will bring them in more money than any other smartphone they currently have available, and more money than every smartphone they have available combined. Apple is not the one losing out if they don't get on Big Red, they have plenty other carriers to chose from. VZW would be losing out much more, there is no other iPhone to chose from.
    09-29-10 11:51 AM
    It is greed on both ends. VZW wants what VZW wants and Apple wants what Apple wants. It is hard to come to an agreements when both companies have so much power and are just as stubborn. VZW was the greediest carrier and most locked down of them all before they started supporting Android. They were so locked down and set on MAKING you use their services instead of better or free/cheaper alternatives. I was an AT&T users mostly because they allowed me to do what I wanted (and have excellent coverage in my area). Android changed this though, but I will never forget Verizons old intentions.

The sad thing now is they may even be coming back. With VZW stance on net neutrality, and all this bloat they are putting on devices WITHOUT letting you delete it unless you root, is just pathetic. I know AT&T is locking side loading and Sprint puts some of their stuff on there (don't know if it can be deleted stock), but Verizon seems to be loading it on the most. Apple would NEVER allow that on THEIR device. Also, forget about VZW branding on the iPhone.

If/when the iPhone comes to VZW, VZW should just keep their hands off it. It will bring them in more money than any other smartphone they currently have available, and more money than every smartphone they have available combined. Apple is not the one losing out if they don't get on Big Red, they have plenty other carriers to chose from. VZW would be losing out much more, there is no other iPhone to chose from.
    T mobile is the only carrier that deserves gossips when it comes too not bloating phones. Apple is the only phone manufacture to insert so much greed. Verizon buys them, then owns them, and that won't change, not even for apple, lol. The bubble has burst already...there will never be an apple bubble like that again. VZW knows that, and they still have the largest customer base...worthy of note...no I phone. VZW wont profit as much as people think...apple is keeping at&t nice and poor....until apple does business like everyone else, verizon doesn't want none.
    09-29-10 12:49 PM
    There was a time when I did want an iphone. But with the advance of Android I no longer have a desire for an iphone. Applictaions for android is steadily growing. What the iphone has going for it is the ease of use. But Android is not that difficult, I think what throws people off is the amount of flexibility you have with android. Corporations are greedy bahstards anyway.
    I could care less if the iphone came to VZ or not. What I really think pushed the change was the rift Google had with Apple when Apple wouldn't let them do something, and VZ wanting something to rival the iphone was a match made in heaven.
    09-29-10 01:14 PM

Because they wanted sole control over their product which is starting to bite them in the arse
    Yeah. Everyone knows that AT&T is Apple's b*tch. AT&T can't even get any
    of their bloat-ware on the phone. They can't even brand it. Not even a freaking
    splash screen. There is no sign on any iPhones that they're AT&T. Well any
    carrier for that matter.
    09-29-10 01:47 PM
    I personally believe that VZW won't get the iPhone, ever. They have their requirements, and those go directly against what Apple's requirements are. VZW can stand on it's own merits, and doesn't need the iPhone to boost sales. AT&T was hurting and gladly took the risk, and the payoff was immediate, but at a cost. When it comes time for Apple to look for another carrier, I firmly believe that Sprint will be looking for the same kind of boost AT&T was, and allow the concessions that Apple wants the carrier to make. And having a strong backbone supporting thousands of Aircard users, should be able to handle the influx without the growing pains. Just my handfull of cents
    09-29-10 01:55 PM
    Johnly, you def sound like you work for Verizon here. They surely are not innocent in general or too good for Apple. They are EXTREMELY greedy just like any other big corp. They also have locked their phones down in the past (remember the big GPS debacle), and now just insert a ton of crapware and branding all over everything. I dont care how much of Apple's b*tch ATT is i 100% appreciate the no crapware/theme/branding portion fully.

There's nothing wrong with ATT paying Apple with the revenue Apple brings in for ATT. ATT has made a lot more off selling iphones and bringing in customers then what theyve given to Apple. And ATT surely was no slouch before the iphone, people need to go check their facts and the customer totals pre-iphone. ATT and VZW were pretty darn close in customer count until VZW essentially BOUGHT customers when they bought Altell. They didnt exactly "earn" those near 15 million customers for their merits/service/phones/etc ie. steal them away from another carrier because VZW is better per say.

And no, I see Sprint as the LAST carrier Apple would consider. Theyre just finally getting their numbers under control after a nearly 3 year slide, and until they have plans to switch WIMAX to LTE, I dont see Apple building yet another version of the device for a relatively smaller carrier (customer-wise) compared to a VZW or ATT where 2 versions (CDMA/LTE and GSM/LTE) would cover most of the globe. Sprint needs to ditch WIMAX and get on everyone else's page if they want inter-compatibility of the "hot" devices to come.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 09-29-10 at 02:23 PM.
    09-29-10 02:16 PM
    Yeah. Everyone knows that AT&T is Apple's b*tch. AT&T can't even get any
    of their bloat-ware on the phone. They can't even brand it. Not even a freaking
    splash screen. There is no sign on any iPhones that they're AT&T. Well any
    carrier for that matter.
    Which... is... good!
    09-29-10 02:23 PM
    The way it works is Apple gets something like $10 per month for each data plan that gets activated with AT&T. This is not something exclusive to Apple though, RIM gets the same thing, and not just from AT&T, from every carrier in the world they sell to. That's one of the reasons Apple works so hard to keep their phones locked.
    09-29-10 02:39 PM
    If the iphone did come to VZ how many of the current users would switch carriers?
    09-29-10 02:48 PM

When the iPhone was first developed, it was a collaboration between Apple and Cingular. Eventually, Apple just told Cingular to they'll do it all themselves. iPhone was a bit different in that previously, carriers would pretty much tell the maker what they wanted and would help/demand control over the software. In return for control of the device, AT&T demanded an unprecedented level of exclusivity in the US. It has been frequently reported that the contract is for 5 years, but it is unknown what kinds of provisions it contains as penalties for breach of contract. I presume it's pretty harsh, and one of the major reasons Apple hasn't bothered to design CDMA iPhones.
    09-29-10 02:49 PM
    Which... is... good!
    Heck yes. I'd hate for all that crap to be taking up a screen on my phone.

If the iphone did come to VZ how many of the current users would switch carriers?
    I would.
    09-29-10 02:51 PM
    Polls have shown that close to 25% of current AT&T iPhone users would consider jumping to Verizon if they offered the iPhone. That's not a guarantee of jumping ship of course, since it's assumed most of them are under contract.
    09-29-10 02:51 PM
    I personally believe that VZW won't get the iPhone, ever. They have their requirements, and those go directly against what Apple's requirements are. VZW can stand on it's own merits, and doesn't need the iPhone to boost sales. AT&T was hurting and gladly took the risk, and the payoff was immediate, but at a cost. When it comes time for Apple to look for another carrier, I firmly believe that Sprint will be looking for the same kind of boost AT&T was, and allow the concessions that Apple wants the carrier to make. And having a strong backbone supporting thousands of Aircard users, should be able to handle the influx without the growing pains. Just my handfull of cents
    It is very doubtful iPhone will come to Sprint. The main reason is incompatibility. It seems obvious now that Apple will not produce a CDMA iPhone. They will just wait for Verizon to move on to LTE and make one device for both AT&T and Verizon. Since Sprint is going with WiMax and has no immediate plans to switch to LTE, it leaves them out of the mix.
    09-29-10 02:55 PM
    Polls have shown that close to 25% of current AT&T iPhone users would consider jumping to Verizon if they offered the iPhone. That's not a guarantee of jumping ship of course, since it's assumed most of them are under contract.
    Wow, and yes one does understand being under contract.
    09-29-10 02:56 PM
    I think it's a good thing the iPhone has stayed on AT&T for as long as it has. If the iPhone was on all carriers I don't think Android would still exist. Sure people on phone websites know all the reason the iPhone sucks and they make an educated choice to go with Android instead. But the vast majority of people don't. They just say it's the iPhone and they want it automatically. I personally would never own one. I'm proud to say I've never owned an Apple product. I don't think I ever will either.

But with that said, every single Android owner I know has one because they don't get AT&T in their area and the first words they say to describe their phone is "It's a lot like the iPhone, But not on AT&T". Apple was very stupid for allowing Android to get to where it is now. Apple gave Android almost all of their user just because those users couldn't get the phone they really wanted because of AT&T.
    Last edited by berryboba; 09-29-10 at 03:51 PM.
    09-29-10 03:49 PM
    Well, that's just wrong. the iPhone is available from all major carriers in Canada, and Android came AFTER. Now, it's footings are beginning to take hold with more and more devices beind adopted and brought here daily. I still see more iPhones than Androids (and that's largely due to the best ones being CDMA devices, which is absolute sh*t) but it's starting to sway.

And why would you be proud to say you've never owned an Apple product? Why would you be proud of ignorance? I love Apple, I love OS X. Having used the iPhone and every Apple product since the Performa - excluding the iPad - I can safely say I don't enjoy iOS in the slightest, because I've actually TRIED the product.

Not using something just further concretes your complete lack of knowledge on the subject matter, and makes you look like a fool because you don't even know why you don't like it. Once you try it, then you can say "this is why I did / didn't like it.."

This is exactly why I GOT my Android device.
    Last edited by GlitchZero; 09-29-10 at 04:59 PM.
    09-29-10 04:53 PM
    I will say this...I definitely don't work for verizon, haha. I have been in there a lot lately comparing phones though. The manager and I talked some good phone tech. Verizon is not innocent...but they don't beat their customers as bad as apple does either. I have apple products, so I am not a apple hater. at&t better hurry up and beef that network...sounds like T mobile is going to pass them up, hehe
    Johnly, you def sound like you work for Verizon here. They surely are not innocent in general or too good for Apple. They are EXTREMELY greedy just like any other big corp. They also have locked their phones down in the past (remember the big GPS debacle), and now just insert a ton of crapware and branding all over everything. I dont care how much of Apple's b*tch ATT is i 100% appreciate the no crapware/theme/branding portion fully.

There's nothing wrong with ATT paying Apple with the revenue Apple brings in for ATT. ATT has made a lot more off selling iphones and bringing in customers then what theyve given to Apple. And ATT surely was no slouch before the iphone, people need to go check their facts and the customer totals pre-iphone. ATT and VZW were pretty darn close in customer count until VZW essentially BOUGHT customers when they bought Altell. They didnt exactly "earn" those near 15 million customers for their merits/service/phones/etc ie. steal them away from another carrier because VZW is better per say.

And no, I see Sprint as the LAST carrier Apple would consider. Theyre just finally getting their numbers under control after a nearly 3 year slide, and until they have plans to switch WIMAX to LTE, I dont see Apple building yet another version of the device for a relatively smaller carrier (customer-wise) compared to a VZW or ATT where 2 versions (CDMA/LTE and GSM/LTE) would cover most of the globe. Sprint needs to ditch WIMAX and get on everyone else's page if they want inter-compatibility of the "hot" devices to come.
    Last edited by johnly; 09-29-10 at 05:59 PM.
    09-29-10 05:56 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD