Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
    IPhone tops mobile shopping lists- MSN Money

A survey shows more than half of consumers plan to buy an Apple phone as their next mobile device.
    By Benzinga 22 hours ago
    Credit: 2012 Apple Inc Caption: iPhone 4sBy Louis Bedigian

Sales of Samsung smartphones are expected to top the iPhone by as many as 20 million units in the second quarter. But that will not stop Apple (AAPL -0.03%) from converting Android users to its iOS mobile platform, a new survey shows.

Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster asked 400 consumers which phone they planned to purchase next. Some 65% of those surveyed said they expect their next phone to be an iPhone, while 19% planned to buy an Android phone and 6.5% said they would purchase a standard cellular device (read: not a smartphone). About 6% were unsure of their next purchase. But only 2.5% intended to buy a BlackBerry from Research In Motion (RIMM +0.72%).

While the survey details are significant, there is one catch. According to Forbes staff writer Eric Savitz, more than half of the survey participants (52%) already owned an iPhone. This "makes it clear that for whatever reason, Munster conducted his survey among, well, iConsumers," Savitz concluded. "Maybe he was standing inside an Apple store at the time."

Still, Munster believes that Apple can increase its market share to the low 30% range in just three years.

Not surprisingly, 51% of the people who said they planned to buy an iPhone are waiting for the iPhone 5 to arrive. Munster also said that 94% of iPhone users plan to replace their existing devices with another iPhone. This is critical because the iPhone now accounts for more than 50% of Apple's revenue.

Finally, Munster wanted to know the true consumer value of each iPhone. On average, consumers said that their iPhone was worth $313 versus the subsidized price of $199. Munster speculates that if cellular carriers decided to reduce their hardware subsidies, consumers would continue to buy the iPhone because they already feel that it is worth more than they are currently paying.

I thought this was a pretty interesting article on MSN.

I dont really see it this way. People I know (who aren't Apple enthusiasts) are getting bored with the iPhone and moving to Android and Windows.
    07-18-12 11:37 AM
    Clearly these people don't care that Apple is being sued by the Justice Department for price fixing and I feel they are price fixing with carriers as well.

Maybe it is no big deal that the company you do business with is screwing you for to wring a few more cents out of your pocket despite the fact that they are hugely profitable but it matters to me.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned.
    07-18-12 11:43 AM
    Sensationalissssmmmmmmmmmm!
    07-18-12 11:48 AM
    For myself, the most significant part of the "survey" was this line: "Munster conducted his survey among, well, iConsumers," Savitz concluded. "Maybe he was standing inside an Apple store at the time."

It comes down to a similar problem as with the "developers leaving BlackBerry" survey of a couple days ago, if the target group responding are not neutral, and if you don't ask the right question in the right way, you simply get confirmation of what you already wanted to find.

Having spoken with people around me (friends and work colleagues), I'd have to disagree with the "findings" and agree with you.
    Most people I know who already have an iPhone aren't going to shell out for yet another iPhone which is more hype than impovement. And of those who don't have an iPhone, I can't think of any even thinking about moving to iPhone... although there must be a couple, it's not a necessity for anyone I know to have the latest one.
    Funnily enough, most people who I've spoken with (in my group of friends) are more interested in what the Windows Phone 8 will actually be like. I've even had a couple of friends (who aren't really "techies") talk to me about BB10 and actually said they're excited about what it should be able to offer.

Si.
    Last edited by simu31; 07-18-12 at 11:55 AM.
    07-18-12 11:53 AM
    Meh, the article even mentions that 52% of the sample surveyed already used iPhones. I think it would be more relevent to have a survey sample of first-time smartphone buyers.
    07-18-12 11:55 AM
    Funnily enough, most people who I've spoken with (in my group of friends) are more interested in what the Windows Phone 8 will actually be like. I've even had a couple of friends (who aren't really "techies") talk to me about BB10 and actually said they're excited about what it should be able to offer.
    It's all anecdotal, of course, but WP8 is generating most of the buzz I'm hearing, too, with the Surface and other Win 8 tablets and Win 8 on the PC all converging for a perfect storm of sorts. However, I don't know anybody who's excited about BB10, other than here on CB.
    shemaree09 likes this.
    07-18-12 11:59 AM
    It's all anecdotal, of course, but WP8 is generating most of the buzz I'm hearing, too, with the Surface and other Win 8 tablets and Win 8 on the PC all converging for a perfect storm of sorts. However, I don't know anybody who's excited about BB10, other than here on CB.
    Same here. Seems like there is more buzz for WP8 than anything.
    07-18-12 12:01 PM
    65% planned to buy APPL next
    400 consumers including 52% APPL owners = 208 users
    (65-52 =) 13% of non APPL users (192) would swich = 25 users

So conquest rate of APPL would be around 12.5% ?
    *ahum* do I smell a flaw somewhere ?
    07-18-12 12:01 PM
    A true definition of "sheep"..... People willing to buy something without even knowing what it is......
    07-18-12 12:31 PM
    Everyone is throwing surveys around conducted using the least credible methods.
    Think I will do mine too, right here on Crackberry.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    07-18-12 12:43 PM
    A true definition of "sheep"..... People willing to buy something without even knowing what it is......
    Could pretty much say the same thing about anyone wanting to buy a BB10 device.

Edit:

And even though they don't know exactly what the hardware will be they know what the next iteration of iOS will be like. There's tons of people running the full version right now, albeit it's in beta. But that's still better than a very scaled down non-complete version like BB10 is right now. I'm just saying, though.
    Last edited by HeezyBear; 07-18-12 at 01:01 PM.
    GingerSnapsBack likes this.
    07-18-12 12:54 PM
    Clearly these people don't care that Apple is being sued by the Justice Department for price fixing and I feel they are price fixing with carriers as well.

Maybe it is no big deal that the company you do business with is screwing you for to wring a few more cents out of your pocket despite the fact that they are hugely profitable but it matters to me.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned.

Are you going to repeat this in every apple thread? News flash, all companies (including RIMM) wants more cents out of your pocket...
    07-18-12 12:57 PM
    Could pretty much say the same thing about anyone wanting to buy a BB10 device.
    That's a pretty spot-on observation, actually. I guess there really isn't much difference between current iPhone owners that just "know" iPhone 5 is going to rock their socks...and current BB owners saying the exact same thing about BB10, even though hardly any exact info has been released about both.
    07-18-12 12:58 PM
    Its not surprising, especially when you look at apples customer satisfaction rating year in and year out...
    07-18-12 12:58 PM
    This info could be superfluous, what about people who plan not to change their phones within the year, and what about the untapped market?

Could be very misleading...

Although I don't deny that the IPhone has one of the highest satisfaction indices in the market...
    07-18-12 01:17 PM
    I plan to see what the iPhone5 is about before I consider changing devices. People around me haven't heard jack about Windows8. I'll be surprised if it is successful. I don't know anyone who ditched their iPhone, even where I live where ATT had lousy reception. Kind of sad that BB is on its last legs though. I can envision BB10 never making it to market.
    07-18-12 02:19 PM
    No, no one cares about an eBook price fixing scandal. NO ONE!

As for carrier price fixing, of course it happens. Apple dictate their retail price and subsidy price, it works.

Any exclusive carrier agreement (like the 9800 on AT&T for example) is anti-competitive price fixing. You don't have a problem with that?
    07-19-12 07:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD