http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/08/23/apple-patents-a-desktop-touchscreen-computer/?partner=yahoofinance

They made some steps that look like they will be making a touch screen desktop. Thoughts? Not sure I would want my desktop touchscreen. Seems like it would be to fragile and wouldn't last as long.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-23-10 07:15 PM
    Do you regularly throw your current desktop around??

I don't toss my iMac around as it is.
    08-24-10 05:19 PM
    Not sure what you do with your desktop, but my desktop stays planted firmly on my desk.

Fragility (Is that even a word?) is the last thing that comes to mind for me.

Besides, knowing apple- it should be very well built with premium materials.
    08-24-10 05:47 PM
    wondering how much it'll cost... arm and a leg?
    08-24-10 06:39 PM
    In Chapters/Indigo up here, they have a Touch Screen Mac like set up which is paired with an Apple Keyboard.

When I first saw this, a year or two ago I thought this is Apple's next iMac. I guess not.
    08-24-10 09:30 PM
    I would like to see apple do this. My opinion is hp can't get touchscreen right just like blackberry. (As I'm pressing the monitor waiting for a click lol). But at any rate, apple might just do it right for other companies to follow.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-24-10 10:44 PM
    wondering how much it'll cost... arm and a leg?
    Prolly. I would venture to guess 2,000-3,000. Just rough guess.
    08-24-10 11:37 PM
    Possibly, but considering Apples current line up, thats not too expensive.
    08-25-10 10:50 AM
    I think they'll keep it just under $2000
    08-25-10 12:22 PM
    I think that a touch screen iMac would be a very nice addition to the Apple line up. I have played around with the HP Touchsmart machines and I have to say that I really did like the way the UI was done. I am sure that Apple will nail the UI and keep it feeling like IOS. As for price I think they will start at about 1500.00 and go up to around 2500.00
    08-25-10 02:41 PM
    I have the iMac and have no interest in a desktop touchscreen.
    Why do I want to goober up my screen? Simply less efficient imo.
    08-25-10 08:07 PM
    No thanks. Finger prints all over a large screen would be disgusting and annoying. And then there's that whole issue of having to reach for the screen all the time. I certainly am NOT going to put a desktop display that close to my face just so I can touch it and smear crap all over it.

And that's only the start because then you'd still have all the other problems that come with owning an Apple computer...
    08-26-10 01:46 AM
    I can see a touchscreen keyboard type. Like a slate of glass and you can use it for navigation and a virtual keyboard appears on it. An actual touchscreen desktop I could see being really annoying to use.
    08-26-10 02:03 AM
    I can see a touchscreen keyboard type. Like a slate of glass and you can use it for navigation and a virtual keyboard appears on it. An actual touchscreen desktop I could see being really annoying to use.
    Agree. 12" touch screen interface sounds entirely plausible and I'm sure some people will dig it.
    08-26-10 02:58 AM
    And that's only the start because then you'd still have all the other problems that come with owning an Apple computer...
    Such as not having to deal with constant crashes or having to deal with the overwhelming amount of viruses and spyware out there to get you?

I forget, having a machine that works is very problematic when you're used to constant reboots and crashes.

08-27-10 02:23 PM
    Agree. 12" touch screen interface sounds entirely plausible and I'm sure some people will dig it.
    Exactly. As long as I never have to move my hands from that glass, I can see it working great. Basically plug in a iPad as a keyboard and use it to navigate with gestures. Eliminate the mouse.
    08-27-10 02:33 PM
    Such as not having to deal with constant crashes or having to deal with the overwhelming amount of viruses and spyware out there to get you?

I forget, having a machine that works is very problematic when you're used to constant reboots and crashes.

The problem is when you have hardware failure with a Mac and then you have to take it to Apple to get it fixed. I like being able to buy the parts I need/want and put them in myself. The proprietary hardware and hardware installation limitations is too much for me to deal with in a desktop. But a MacBook I could do, just not the desktop. It would also help if they'd stop making everything in the stupid f'ing white! Seriously though, try putting two DVD writers, two HD's, a professional sound card, and other things in an iMac. Doesn't work.

And I haven't had any reboots or crashes with WIN7, BTW! Would I still rather have Mac OS? Sure, but it's not as desirable as it was a couple years ago and not worth giving up my other advantages for.
    08-27-10 03:03 PM
    Its a nice concept but i'll stick to my pc. I just don't care for apple computers but the iphone and ipad are nice.
    08-27-10 03:09 PM
    The problem is when you have hardware failure with a Mac and then you have to take it to Apple to get it fixed. I like being able to buy the parts I need/want and put them in myself. The proprietary hardware and hardware installation limitations is too much for me to deal with in a desktop. But a MacBook I could do, just not the desktop. It would also help if they'd stop making everything in the stupid f'ing white! Seriously though, try putting two DVD writers, two HD's, a professional sound card, and other things in an iMac. Doesn't work.

And I haven't had any reboots or crashes with WIN7, BTW! Would I still rather have Mac OS? Sure, but it's not as desirable as it was a couple years ago and not worth giving up my other advantages for.
    Both pc and mac are good but macs are much more expensive and they don't really do anything different for me. And I love windows xp vista and 7
    08-27-10 03:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD