Apple patenting capacitive touchscreen tech?

c'mon really?

I'm assuming they'll go for the jugular on this across the board.

What do we think?
    06-23-11 11:53 AM
    Apple is truly becoming the very face of evil. Never thought that Jobs would be everyone's big brother.
    06-23-11 12:02 PM
    its all about Research and Development.

Patents are a good thing. I just wonder, why "normal" people always bother about it. Thats the way we can save ideas and inventions. Thats why we have industrial nations and why people in Asia keep copying us - and thats worse. Thats stealing.
    06-23-11 12:08 PM
    They applied for this back in 2004, before the iPhone was released, along with multitouch patents. I think they won the multitouch patent in 2009 and from what I can tell didn't go after anyone for it (palm went after apple over multitouch, not sure what happened). I don't know what they'll do with this one, if they did create the capacative touch screen they have every right to enforce the patent and from what I understand you have to defend a patent for it to remain valid???, who knows if they will. The other companies might just have to start paying, its not like it'll a be a first, even Apple pays to licence patent technology.
    Last edited by xandermac; 06-23-11 at 12:12 PM.
    06-23-11 12:10 PM
    If Apple didn't patent it, someone else would have. It's the nature of the game, patent everything and anything in the hopes that no one beats you to it and decides to sue you. I personally think it's a stupid system that invites patent trolls to flourish, especially when patent from the nineties that had nothing--nothing!--to do with mobile communications can now be used to sue a cell phone manufacturer.
    olliegrl likes this.
    06-23-11 12:13 PM
    Well it wouldn't be long before they patent the "Apple" name and will ask that the word be removed from the Bible.
    Adam would have to bite an Orange from here on.
    gregorylkelly likes this.
    06-23-11 12:25 PM
    Well it wouldn't be long before they patent the "Apple" name and will ask that the word be removed from the Bible.
    Apple had a bit of a problem with Apple records & the Beetles
    06-23-11 12:36 PM
    Appreciate the humor, and the word "apple" appears 10 times in the Old Testament, but Adam didn't bite an apple. It's just called the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.
    06-23-11 12:57 PM
    Appreciate the humor, and the word "apple" appears 10 times in the Old Testament, but Adam didn't bite an apple. It's just called the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.
    I stand corrected.
    06-23-11 01:23 PM
    The patent just granted to Apple is not a generic patent on the capacitive touch screen (that technology is in fact quite old first appearing in the 1960's so there is plenty of prior art). It's in fact a fairly narrow patent on how portions of content can be displayed on a touchscreen.

Nothing to see, move along....
    06-23-11 01:32 PM
    Apple is truly becoming the very face of evil. Never thought that Jobs would be everyone's big brother.
    This is one of the most irrational things you've ever posted on this site, which is really saying something.
    olliegrl likes this.
    06-23-11 01:45 PM
    Hehehehehe. Truer words.......

This is one of the most irrational things you've ever posted on this site, which is really saying something.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-23-11 03:00 PM
    They must have already done this, as my bible doesn't say Adam bit an apple.
    06-24-11 05:48 AM
    They must have already done this, as my bible doesn't say Adam bit an apple.
    Well, on this forum it is the forbidden fruit.
    06-24-11 08:47 AM
    Well, on this forum it is the forbidden fruit.
    Well even though I'm a BB fan, and am not impressed with iOS, I do have the Macbook. Been three years and it is better than windows in terms of getting regular work done. However its frustrating lately. Formatted and reloaded and now the Mac refuses to play nice with my HP laserjet. That's why I always have a bootcamp partition with Windows.
    That is what puzzles me about ifans. They bash the PB for not bridging with their iphones, yet the Macbook hardly plays nice with any peripheral. And that is acceptable to the ifans.
    gregorylkelly likes this.
    06-24-11 09:39 AM
    Booooo.....way to kill a good joke.

06-24-11 09:57 AM
    Moved to Apple Forum.
    06-24-11 10:07 AM
    ^^^^I know this is gonna be a disaster, but better than windows? Ok whatever, especially since you got done saying it doesn't play nice.
    06-24-11 03:40 PM
    Well even though I'm a BB fan, and am not impressed with iOS, I do have the Macbook. Been three years and it is better than windows in terms of getting regular work done. However its frustrating lately. Formatted and reloaded and now the Mac refuses to play nice with my HP laserjet. That's why I always have a bootcamp partition with Windows.
    That is what puzzles me about ifans. They bash the PB for not bridging with their iphones, yet the Macbook hardly plays nice with any peripheral. And that is acceptable to the ifans.

?????? Multiple Macs in the house and peripheral problems? Are you nuts? Let's see add printer Sys Preferences, Print and Fax, Plus sign and add. No screwing around with drivers and add hardware wizard.........Winblows is still behind with all their dll's and fragmentation issues and well you get the point. MS keeps me employed and Apple keeps me sane.
    06-24-11 04:43 PM
    Interesting. My MacBook Pro and my other MacBook in the house works perfect with our HP printer.

I have not had any problems with any peripheral I have tried to use. I do not own any Apple products besides my iPhone, MacBook Pro and MacBook, and an iPod. I'm sorry you are having problems with your setup.
    06-24-11 05:46 PM
    ?????? Multiple Macs in the house and peripheral problems? Are you nuts? Let's see add printer Sys Preferences, Print and Fax, Plus sign and add. No screwing around with drivers and add hardware wizard.........Winblows is still behind with all their dll's and fragmentation issues and well you get the point. MS keeps me employed and Apple keeps me sane.
    Did that. Downloaded latest drivers for the printer for Mac. Still doesn't work.It communicates with the printer and then PrintMngr "Quits Unexpectedly"
    Been using it for three yrs now, so I know my way around the Mac.
    I know I will get it to work eventually.
    The fact is when I need a printout urgently and it doesn't print then that one print out is worth the cost of a new laptop to me.
    Anyway luckily I had Windows 7 on Bootcamp, and it printed without a hitch.
    If you read my post carefully, I mentioned that for regular work Mac is great. But the compatibility is hit and miss at best. No harm admitting it.
    Windows has a lot of faults, but one area it is good at is communicating with a lot of different devices. That is why most servers and CNC machines etc have software for Windows. Mac doesn't do COM port connectivity well with industrial machines and robotic systems. Do tell me one an example where it does.
    I haven't used Windows much since I got the Mac, but Windows 7 does look good and Windows 8 even more promising. Even so I'm not abandoning Snow Leopard just yet. I like it, but still recognise that it needs a little doing to get it to work with some hardware. I don't complain about that. It was an example for people who expect complete compatibility for the Playbook with Mac.
    Try putting up a Panasonic office network printer in your workplace and then making it work with the Mac. It doesn't. No drivers available.
    While all the Windows laptops print on the network and have network scanning from the same printer/scanner/copier.
    I even invested in a $1500 card for the Panasonic printer especially for Mac compatibility and still didn't get network scanning on the Mac.
    So saying that Mac is compatible with everything is just lying to yourself.
    It has it's plusses and its minuses, but it is certainly not "Brilliant"
    06-24-11 06:01 PM
    I agree lol apple isn't evil because they want to make money like everyone else in this world. They make a good product and market it very well.
    06-26-11 11:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD