ANALYSTS at IDC say Apple's App Store is heading for a meltdown with too much stock for any sane person to navigate - assuming of course that there is such a thing as a sane Apple fanboy.
    The IDC beancounters forecast that the App Store will hold soon a quarter of a million Iphone and Ipod Touch applications, tripling current levels by the end of 2010. IDC predicts the annual growth rate will be about 900 percent.
    However this will cause a fair few problems for Apple. Not only do you have to find an application that you want in a pile of 250,000, you also have to find time to play with the thing.
    The only thing you can do really is try to read reviews on the tiny Iphone screen. How will it be possible to sort out the dross from the good stuff?
    In the computer world this is not usually considered a problem. PC users are used to tapping in keywords to Google searches, reading reviews and working out what they want.
    However Apple has made a name for itself by telling its adoring customers what to do. Its Apple fanboys might see a huge catalogue of files and go into overload.
    Our prediction is that Apple will have to come up with a new way of navigating through its ever growing pile of Apps and work out a good way of helping users find the good ones.
    Having a large resource base is usually considered a good thing, however if it gets as bad as IDC forecasts then the overwhelming number of competing choices will cause Jobs' Mob a major headache. �
    12-04-09 05:32 AM
    "The only thing you can do really is try to read reviews on the tiny Iphone screen."

Just wanted to point out that this is one of the dumbest things Ive ever read. Thanks.
    12-04-09 01:52 PM
    Yeah, so???
    12-04-09 02:34 PM
    I would just drop the Apps that are rates lower than 3 stars after 6 months of being introduced to the app store. Simple. You'd see half those app get knocked off.
    12-04-09 03:22 PM
    I would just drop the Apps that are rates lower than 3 stars after 6 months of being introduced to the app store. Simple. You'd see half those app get knocked off.

If they do that with BB App store then we're not gonna be left with any app

12-04-09 03:25 PM
    Most of the free apps are the ones with horrible reviews.

So who cares.

If you downloaded a FREE dud, who cares.

Delete it right from your screen, and move on.

It's not that serious.

In Store reviews are sufficient, but normally OVERLY critical.

Online reviews are normally more reliable.

Either way, it's not a big deal.

It's not like you have to RESTART your iPhone, then wait 30 mins for it to turn back on just to delete an app.

12-04-09 03:35 PM
    I really don't see this being a problem at all. People are just dumb if they don't know how to navigate through the App store.

ANALYSTS at IDC say Apple's App Store is heading for a meltdown with too much stock for any sane person to navigate - assuming of course that there is such a thing as a sane Apple fanboy.
    Use the search feature. All I have to say. It eliminates a lot of the crap you don't want to see.

The only thing you can do really is try to read reviews on the tiny Iphone screen. How will it be possible to sort out the dross from the good stuff?
    This article loses all credibility, and I feel like I wasted time even reading it after writing this statement. Where else are you suppose to read the reviews from while you're on your iPhone. It's not like you can turn you camera into a projector and project the reviews onto the wall so you can see it better. If you can't read the reviews on the iPhones screen, you shouldn't own a cellphone (I wonder what they think about reading reviews on a BB screen).
    12-04-09 07:09 PM
    I didn't post this as a iPhone/app store bash. I focused on the 250,000 apps, and it made me say DAAAAYYYYUUUMMM!
    12-04-09 07:14 PM
    I didn't post this as a iPhone/app store bash. I focused on the 250,000 apps, and it made me say DAAAAYYYYUUUMMM!

I dont think anyone is saying that you were bashing the app store. What everyone is saying is "whats your point?"

I'm pretty sure most of use here are aware of the app store and its ups and downs.
    12-04-09 07:31 PM
    The tone of the article was condescending, and it was almost as if the author was trying to create a problem. If it gets so large and un-navigable that it turns people off and negatively affects sales, they will definitely improve it. Steve Jobs needs more money.
    12-04-09 08:15 PM
    It's not like you have to RESTART your iPhone, then wait 30 mins for it to turn back on just to delete an app.
    That was funny, nice stab!! LMAO
    12-04-09 10:32 PM
    Never can have too many apps.
    12-04-09 11:50 PM
    The store may have more apps but how many of them are actually USEFUL. I maybe used 3 that I REALLY liked when I had an iphone.

Other than that its crowded with mush.
    12-05-09 01:30 PM
    The store may have more apps but how many of them are actually USEFUL. I maybe used 3 that I REALLY liked when I had an iphone.

I would rather it be crowded with mush than nothing at all. That and the fact the the apps aren't overpriced, like most BB apps. Each platforms have their ups and down.
    12-05-09 03:30 PM

And you've found more useful apps on another platform? If so, please name them.
    12-05-09 03:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD