EDIT: It's all good. (I'd delete this post but that option isn't appearing.) I just called and the phone wait (11 min) was longer than the purchase process. That language below about spills and drops not being covered is indeed the regular AC plan, not the AC+. And I did not have to present my phone for proof that it's not damaged. Wrapped it up in a few minutes over the phone. *fingers crossed I'm not klutzy with this one*

------------------------------

So I was going to purchase AppleCare +. (Purely based on experience. Dropped my Curve in a bucket of water when it slipped out of my pocket; dropped my brand new Tour on the concrete and pinged it, which is irrelevant because i4S cosmetic damage isn't covered; somehow put a small chip in my Bold screen + accidentally leaned against it and put a keyboard light out + almost rolled an ATV on it. So in a nutshell, graceful I am not.)

Today is the last day for me. Apple says you have to purchase by today if you just found this, dated 10/13/2011, the day before launch of the i4S: iPhone and iPod: Liquid damage is not covered by warranty
    If an iPhone or iPod has been damaged by liquid (for example, coffee or a soft drink), the service for such liquid damage is not covered by the Apple one (1) year limited warranty or an AppleCare Protection Plan (APP). iPhone models and iPod models that were built after 2006 have built-in Liquid Contact Indicators that will show (as described below) whether the device has been in contact with water or a liquid containing water....Products Affected iPhone...[no model indicated]
    By using the word "an" AppleCare Protection Plan, are they leaving that wide open for any plan? Or, since they didn't put the "+" after AppleCare, does that mean they are referring only to the former APP? Admittedly I've had little sleep so am about as sharp as a box of rocks today, but what's up with that?

I might be SOL anyway, someone on a blog comment said they had to physically go in and show the phone was damage-free before Apple would cover it. Not gonna happen today.
    Last edited by periwinklemoon; 11-14-11 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Problem solved; can't delete post
    11-14-11 03:22 PM
    Periwinkle, I'm curious, you got the Apple Care plan, so did you drop VzW's total equipment coverage or did you keep that in addition to this add on?

If I understand correctly, pls correct me if I'm wrong, but I purchased my iPhone on 11/4/11, so does that mean I have till 11/3/12 to purchase the apple care? I thought I rem someone saying it has to be purchased before your year of owing the phone is up?

11-14-11 04:52 PM
    I passed on purchasing VZW's, it was way too expensive to me. I had read about AppleCare+ before buying the phone so knew when the VZW rep quoted pricing it was a lot higher.

Here is a really good comparison chart:
    Top 5 iPhone 4S Warranty Options Compared

Today would be your last day to get AppleCare+ Per the text in the box at this page: iPhone - AppleCare+ - Apple Store (U.S.)

You can still get hold of them at the toll free # at that link, they're there till 8 (not sure what time zone but even if EST there is still 45 minutes left.) They were nice about answering my questions before I bought it.
    ThePinkChameleon likes this.
    11-14-11 06:17 PM
    Thx periwinkle, I don't have time to read up on it now but I def will.

As for today being my last day, well then that sucks for me, lol. I do have VzW TEC that I pay mthly so I'm comfortable knowing I have that insurance on it
    11-14-11 07:43 PM
    Pink I believe you have a year from the date of purchase to purchase the regular apple care

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    11-14-11 09:17 PM
    Candy84, with the release of the iPhone 4S, Apple changed the time in which you can order\get an Apple Care pack for that particular iPhone.

Most annoying really...
    11-15-11 04:04 AM
    You're welcome Pink.

I was surprised by the comparison chart to learn that there are more 3rd party options out there (outside of carrier or Apple), I didn't know that. So there might be something there that fits your needs and saves you $. SquareTrade is very similar to AC+, except they cap out at $599 in coverage. But you do have 30 days from purchase to go with them. And Worth Ave Group is a $75 more, only allows one claim with a cap, but covers theft/loss/disaster that others don't. (Actually, one could possibly go through their Homeowner's or Renter's insurance on the theft or disaster. But I wouldn't want to file a claim over a single small item like a mobile device, residential and automobile carriers are getting far too picky about claims.) I also saw somewhere Best Buy offers coverage, didn't explore that, might be only for those that purchase through BB.

Here's the link again, skip to middle of page for a quick glance at the chart:
    Top 5 iPhone 4S Warranty Options Compared
    11-15-11 04:37 AM
    I know the apple care + is something you have to buy pretty quick. But the normal apple care can still be bought during the first year I owning the phone. Well at least that's how it is in Canada. I just called apple to confirm this.

11-15-11 05:23 AM
    ...don't get me wrong, Candy84, you're right. But, I noticed that when they released the iPhone 4S in particular, they changed the policy on buying the Apple Care+ for it. It is almost as if you must buy it within 30 days. On the 'old' system, that wasn't the case.

I know the apple care + is something you have to buy pretty quick. But the normal apple care can still be bought during the first year I owning the phone. Well at least that's how it is in Canada. I just called apple to confirm this.

11-15-11 07:23 AM
    Maybe they were able to give me the normal apple care because in Canada we aren't able to ourchase the apple care + option yet...
    11-15-11 07:37 AM
    [COLOR="Purple"]Periwinkle, I'm curious, you got the Apple Care plan, so did you drop VzW's total equipment coverage or did you keep that in addition to this add on?

If I understand correctly, pls correct me if I'm wrong, but I purchased my iPhone on 11/4/11, so does that mean I have till 11/3/12 to purchase the apple care? I thought I rem someone saying it has to be purchased before your year of owing the phone is up?

[/COLOR]
    Customers with iPhones need apple care for protection. They can't use carrier provided insurance.

11-15-11 10:40 AM
    ...don't get me wrong, Candy84, you're right. But, I noticed that when they released the iPhone 4S in particular, they changed the policy on buying the Apple Care+ for it. It is almost as if you must buy it within 30 days. On the 'old' system, that wasn't the case.
    ok, just to clarify this, as i was confused about it and seems some of you were also in regards to when/what coverage can/can't be purchased.

Heres the deal: i just got off the phone with Apple. I'll use my situation in example. I purchased my 4S on 11/4/11. I have till 11/3/12 to purchase Apple Care protection for $69./ which will then cover my 4S till 11/4/2013.

I also have the option to purchase Apple Care+ within 30days of the original purchase of my device(11/4/11), which would be BY 12/3/11 for $99 and this will cover me once again till 11/4/2013. Apple Care+ also includes through the whole coverage period, 2 accidental incidents (water, cracked screen, etc.) with a $49 deductible. it DOES NOT cover theft.

Now, my VzW TEC for $10mthly covers the same way, mechanical, techincal, or damage(water, cracked screen, etc) and it DOES cover theft (if i'm not mistaken)

So overall, basically i think either insurance is good to have, the only downfall i can see is Apples coverage will only stay with you for 2yrs overall. Where as with VzW, you can still have your 4S into your 3rd year, paying the mthly ins coverage, and still be fully proctected

Now, you ask, who after 2yrs doesnt normally upgrade their phone? Your right, majority of the people do. In fact, 2yrs after having my 4S, if the 5 is out by that point, of course i'm going to want to upgrade to it as well. So overall, i think what ever insurance policy fits your budget now is the best one to go with

I was considering purchasing the Apple Care+ in addition to my TEC wtih VzW, but IDK if i wanna throw the extra $99 bucks around for it. Luckily i still have time(till 12/3/11) to decide before push comes to shove and my opportunity is completely out the door, with then only the Apple Care plan availb for purchase till 11/3/12.

I hope this has helped clarify for some of you

11-15-11 12:26 PM
    the only thing is for VZW to replace your phone you have to pay a $199 deductible.
    ThePinkChameleon likes this.
    11-15-11 02:04 PM
    the only thing is for VZW to replace your phone you have to pay a $199 deductible.
    thanks for adding this Maine, I had forgotten about that one !!
    Maine likes this.
    11-15-11 02:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD