Good stuff from Apple, ya'll.

According to Bloomberg, Apple is working on a tweaked iPhone 4 model to compete with the low and mid-end Android devices (those new RIM devices as well maybe?) that will be 1/3 smaller, and will be $200 unlocked allowing carriers to possibly subsidize it to Free99. Apple could sell it this low because they would be using old components.

It's only a prototype, so it could never see the light of day. Apple had planned on releasing it mid 2011.

They're also working on software to make it easier for people to use both CDMA and GSM networks on the phone. This feature may or may not be in the cheaper iPhone.

Apple is also working on a technology called Universal SIM, which would allow users to switch between GSM carriers without switching SIMs.

Apple Working on Cheaper, More Versatile IPhone Models - Bloomberg
    02-10-11 03:54 PM
    Uh, they said there would be no reductions to their ASP so I think this one is pure rumour. Apple is moving 16 million devices at $600. Why would they ever care about the low-end? That's a market that will get served by resellers.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-10-11 04:29 PM
    Uh, they said there would be no reductions to their ASP so I think this one is pure rumour. Apple is moving 16 million devices at $600. Why would they ever care about the low-end? That's a market that will get served by resellers.

Because market analysts claim they have neglected their "middle" demographic - the ones that still want to be hip but can't afford it xD
    02-10-11 04:32 PM
    And the universal SIM was killed. There is no way the carriers would pay that subsidy and then let a user skip out.

02-10-11 04:32 PM
    And the universal SIM was killed. There is no way the carriers would pay that subsidy and then let a user skip out.

It's an "off-contract" phone...read the article
    02-10-11 04:33 PM
    Because market analysts claim they have neglected their "middle" demographic - the ones that still want to be hip but can't afford it xD
    That's what the OPhone is for!

But these "Apple will sell cheap goods" rumours are older than "Microsoft is buying RIM". If Apple didn't lower their prices when they were a minor player, why would they do it when people love their products and they are a top seller? Smells more like manipulation from some fund than anything else.

BlackStormRising likes this.
    02-10-11 04:35 PM
    That's what the OPhone is for!

But these "Apple will sell cheap goods" rumours are older than "Microsoft is buying RIM". If Apple didn't lower their prices when they were a minor player, why would they do it when people love their products and they are a top seller? Smells more like manipulation from some fund than anything else.

It very well could be, but you're right...doesn't seem like a "play" out of Apple's "book". Although who knows what direction the company can take post-Jobs...

I won't rule it out, but what it can potentially do is hurt their public perception....the cool thing about the iPhone is that people feel its exclusive a certain kind of person...once more people get their grubby consumer hands on it, it may play against the hipster trend and play into a more muddled market view
    02-10-11 04:38 PM
    They want to service that market? Seriously? This is how they got their mojo, by carefully neglecting that demographic.
    02-10-11 04:49 PM
    It very well could be, but you're right...doesn't seem like a "play" out of Apple's "book". Although who knows what direction the company can take post-Jobs...

I won't rule it out, but what it can potentially do is hurt their public perception....the cool thing about the iPhone is that people feel its exclusive a certain kind of person...once more people get their grubby consumer hands on it, it may play against the hipster trend and play into a more muddled market view
    The hipster thing really was over with the success of the iPod, perhaps even the first computer Jobs launched on his return. While they don't sell as much in areas without subsidies, I see no reason why they would duplicate Nokia's game plan of making zero margin products.

I've seen these stories on RIM, someone feeds the media a story round-up of the last six months of rumours and the stock drops.

02-10-11 04:50 PM
    +1

Keep in mind, Apple would be selling basically a smaller iPhone 4, while selling the iPhone 5 so it shouldn't be that hard to sell millions of them unlocked, on US Cellular, T-Mobile, other regional carriers, TracFone, Virgin Mobile, Boost Mobile etc.
    02-10-11 04:59 PM
    I don't think 600 bucks is enough to tilt the scale from well to middle, I could be wrong
    02-10-11 11:11 PM
    Call me skeptical, but how much more could it cost to make a $600 iphone than it does to make a $200 ipod touch?
    Apple could repackage the iPhone as the iPhone lite, and all the poor wanna-be cool kids will still be uncool because it's not the "real" iPhone. It's all about appearance.

02-13-11 01:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD