now thats a funny one, what was I reading in the news a couple of weeks ago about some certain inappropriate and personal pictures going viral from iCloud? I'm not sure Apple can stop any access, let alone having the power to grant or not to grant it
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    09-18-14 10:42 AM
    It has been said numerous times on numerous threads and is such a waste of digital memory to continue to have to repeat it to those who simply fail to read or are too ignorant to try and understand - But let me repeat this again: YOU HAVE NO PRIVACY. YOU NEVER REALLY DID. IF YOU THINK YOU DO, YOU ARE FOOLING YOURSELF BY CREATING FALSE CONSTRUCTS. Technology has been available since the dawn of the microchip that far outstrips what ever you think is publicly available. For instance, the coding for most every free public wifi hotspot, is set to collect a great deal of data from your devices whether you connect or not, just by having wifi on and scanning that open hot spot information is captured about your device.

As for Apple's claims - they are lying or the NSA's top secret documents, which detail the collection of data in a single hidden encrypted file for NSA and FBI use is a complete fabrication. Why it would be in an agent handbook, must be a mystery beyond comprehension.

You can not live in this world and believe for a moment that most 1st world governments do not have the capacity and the legal right to fully surveil every moment of your life without oversight.

Give it up. The Prime Minister of Germany can be hacked but somehow you can make the right choice and avoid government data collection? SMH
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-18-14 12:48 PM
    Apple: "IOS 7 and earlier are full of holes!"
    09-18-14 01:12 PM
    So the quick summary... don't put stuff on iCloud and encrypt your device (and media card in our cases) and you'll be safe.

Apple finally catches up to the rest of the world? Congrats?
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-18-14 01:20 PM
    Unlike Blackberry? You may want to read up on why Blackberry had to cave into some government demands.
    Take India for example. The Indian government has deals with all the telcoms that they will have access to all info going through their networks. BBM and bis was not going through any of the telcom networks which created a problem for the Indian government. And even then Blackberry dragged it's feet in allowing access to "certain " data. You would be kidding yourself to think by using an iPhone in India you were more secure.

Saudi Arabia same situation. That government also has complete access to telcoms traffic and BBM and bis created a problem.

Blackberry was doing nothing different that the telcom companies were already doing in these countries. Does it make it right? No. But to single them out is unfair.

Apple post a privacy statement basically printing what you want to read and it makes people feel better with an iPhone. It's just that, lip service. You would be a fool to think in this day and age government doesn't have some sort of access to your data be it windows phone, iPhone, Blackberry or Android.

Posted via CB10
    I would like to add to this that it was only the BIS. BlackBerry refused for BES because they said it's impossible. I may be wrong but I think I read that somewhere!

Posted via CB10
    09-18-14 01:26 PM
    Yaaaawwwwn

Same old Apple wordsmithing.
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-18-14 01:28 PM
    Funny, a lot of people here think the iPhone is merely an NSA remote terminal.
    09-18-14 01:40 PM
    I'm not entirely sure that you understand what happened in that case....

now thats a funny one, what was I reading in the news a couple of weeks ago about some certain inappropriate and personal pictures going viral from iCloud? I'm not sure Apple can stop any access, let alone having the power to grant or not to grant it
    09-18-14 01:46 PM
    Apple - Privacy - Government Information Requests

Also notice "Apple has never worked with any government agency from any country to create a ?back door? in any of our products or services. We have also never allowed any government access to our servers. And we never will."

Unlike BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Because Apple claims they don't permit it nor will they ever, it doesn't mean the NSA hasn't found ways to get into their devices and servers.

The conspiracy I've heard about BlackBerry losing traction in the market place is because they didn't get the NSA access to their servers or devices, so the government or the NSA was out to hurt them. LOL
    09-18-14 02:23 PM
    BlackBerry had some very legitimate reasons to cave to India and Saudi Arabia....and, for that matter, I wouldn't have a problem if they provided data to the U-S NSA, under warrant, of course. The issue here, however, is the controlled release of data, for which iOS or Android-based devices hasn't exactly demostrated compentencies...nor has the US, Germany, Canada, the UK, etc. recognized as such. As someone earlier in the thread explained, there is no such thing as privacy to the point where one should expect that criminal activities would be kept private. Nor should there be.

Now, that does not nor should it mean that non-criminal activities should be accessible by anyone. But that's a different topic.
    09-18-14 02:32 PM
    You guys do realize that this is more of a clever legal workaround for Apple.

They encrypt content on the device, so that it is no longer "technically feasible" for them to execute a search warrant and/or government request on the device data.

HOWEVER, if you sync with iTunes, backup your device to your computer, or transfer to iCloud,.. that infrastructure is still very much eligible to be accessed under search warrant and/or "extraordinary" government requests.

This one was designed more by lawyers than by engineers.

Posted via CB10
    lift, bungaboy, john_v and 1 others like this.
    09-18-14 02:32 PM
    Was just watching Closing Bell on CNBC and this topic came up. One of the guys on there comments, ...so what now Apple is trying to do what Blackberry has been doing for years?

I got a little chuckle out of it and thought i'd share.
    lift, bungaboy and WWBlondieDo like this.
    09-18-14 02:38 PM
    The fact is apple does have a back door. Snowden exposed The USA to many ugly truths. US will lose tens of billions to hundreds of billions in lost business due to Snowden .

Posted via CB10
    The fact is that NSA has access to any platforms and servers, Blackberry included.
    09-18-14 02:40 PM
    Hahahaha... Yeah iphones are more secure...
    Every other week there is a new video on how to bypass iphone lock screen- how to jailbreak your device and the list goes on. I dont think i've even seen a video about BB devices being bypassed by some 14-year old.
    Mainly because BB are extinct. Same approach used by virus developers "why targeting the Macs that account for 5% when you can target Windows 95%" The iphones are still the best phones in the market either if you like it or not
    techvisor likes this.
    09-18-14 02:45 PM
    The fact is that NSA has access to any platforms and servers, Blackberry included.
    Yes, but it's not technically feasible for BlackBerry to intercept and hand over BES data, because they don't have the keys.

This is exactly what Apple is doing, but only for devices. They are encrypting the device in a way that they can no longer access it, so that they can't actually be forced to comply with any search warrant because they technically are not able to.

However this doesn't apply to data on their servers (backups, syncs, iCloud, etc.)

Posted via CB10
    09-18-14 02:46 PM
    BlackBerry gave India and the United Arab Emirates access to their servers so!
    You were there, were you? I love how people here act as though they were personally involved in any discussions and negotiations. Didn't know y'all had such top secret access.
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-18-14 02:51 PM
    By all means buy a Blackberry and live with a false sense of security.
    techvisor likes this.
    09-18-14 02:51 PM
    iphones are still the best phones in the market either if you like it or not
    You think they're the best phones in the market. This is your personal opinion, not a fact. Many Android users, BlackBerry users and Windows Phone users don't think they are. What makes you right and them wrong?

I think Apple does indeed make very good products, but don't speak on behalf of everyone
    walt63, Naeg1995, vtpmt81 and 3 others like this.
    09-18-14 02:52 PM
    Funny, a lot of people here think the iPhone is merely an NSA remote terminal.
    a lot of people here think that just because they own a Blackberry all is safe and secure while it is father from the truth. All this talks are bogus..if they have so much access why we do not see more arrests? there are plenty of criminals using phones to conduct illegal business and yet I have never heard of a single case where an arrest was made because of data retrieve from a phone. People are just paranoid about phones.
    senel and techvisor like this.
    09-18-14 03:01 PM
    You think they're the best phones in the market. This is your personal opinion, not a fact. Many Android users, BlackBerry users and Windows Phone users don't think they are. What makes you right and them wrong?

I think Apple does indeed make very good products, but don't speak on behalf of everyone
    Not it is not my personal opinion but the opinion of many
    Reviewers Say iPhone 6 Is One Of The Best Smartphones 'Ever Made'

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/09/r...on-the-market/
    techvisor likes this.
    09-18-14 03:04 PM
    So if many say that you're ugly, will you simply believe them or would you stand strong and believe in yourself that you are a beautiful human being?

Opinions are like **** holes,.....you know the rest.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy and Bari Yusuf like this.
    09-18-14 03:08 PM
    OK, we get it. All the Gov't agencies have access to your data no matter what you do. Fine. But the real difference between Apple, Windows, android and BlackBerry phones is that with a BlackBerry phone I am not just handing my privacy out to these companies. Those other companies collect way more than people realize. I saw an article on Ars technica where they were shocked at how much of your information Apple stores in your icloud account without your knowledge or consent. Here is a link so you can see for yourself.
    iPwned: How easy is it to mine Apple services, devices for data? | Ars Technica
    Page 2 of that story is the best part.
    raino, bungaboy and BCITMike like this.
    09-18-14 03:08 PM
    Many of the reviews out there now are written by people that are huge Apple fanboy's. It is always like that when ever Apple releases any kind of new or updated product.
    09-18-14 03:10 PM
    I don't think so. Maybe they just don't disclose it to the public.
    09-18-14 03:15 PM
    OP, where in your link was "unlike BlackBerry" mentioned?
    Anyhow, Apple is speaking from both sides of its mouth. Reading in between the lines, Apples does and will still continue to have its doors very wide open for providing requested info as long as Apple has ensured that it is legally covered from subsequent litigations.
    OP is trolling. I've been here from time now and we get doo doo quite often. Just dropping personal sentiments and passing them off as fact. Like majority of tech blogs.
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-18-14 03:20 PM
94 1234