Apple - Privacy - Government Information Requests

Also notice "Apple has never worked with any government agency from any country to create a ?back door? in any of our products or services. We have also never allowed any government access to our servers. And we never will."

Unlike BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    09-18-14 06:11 AM

Also notice "Apple has never worked with any government agency from any country to create a ?back door? in any of our products or services. We have also never allowed any government access to our servers. And we never will."

Unlike BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Shots fired.
    09-18-14 06:16 AM
    Apple - Privacy - Government Information RequestsWe have also never allowed any government access to our servers. And we never will."
    "But we are glad to give them any data upon request."
    09-18-14 06:16 AM
    Shots fired.
    BlackBerry gave India and the United Arab Emirates access to their servers so!

Posted via CB10
    sentimentGX4, Witmen and techvisor like this.
    09-18-14 06:20 AM
    BlackBerry gave India and the United Arab Emirates access to their servers so!

Posted via CB10
    Oh I know. "We have also never allowed any government access to our servers. And we never will." - wasn't exactly veiled. Don't forget working with UK police during rioting.
    Nayalm and bibbula like this.
    09-18-14 06:24 AM

Unlike BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Yoou don't need to allow access when you can walk right in!!

Posted via CB10
    09-18-14 06:26 AM

Unlike BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Apple doesn't need to grant anyone access when you can try different passwords for an unlimited amount of times.
    09-18-14 06:48 AM
    Lip service. Microsoft are also trying to undo the damage. But it's all just a show.
    The NSA isn't going anywhere.
    There's a reason Snowden can't go home.
    09-18-14 06:52 AM
    Looks like iphones are now more secure that blackberries. If you have defender enabled you have to allow remote password changes, which seems to mean blackberry can unlock any phone.

I suppose there's potential that there's a certificate that responds to both your BB account and your phone pin, and only your phone has the full cert...but I've never heard this described.
    sentimentGX4, techvisor and Narbs like this.
    09-18-14 07:00 AM
    Every company probably has a team of lawyers to deal with legal lawful access requests.

The statements are pretty carefully worded. To believe that Apple doesn't comply with local lawful access is rather naive.

There is an article in Reuters about Apple trying to hire a head of law enforcement in China to handle lawful access request.

Posted via CB10
    sk8er_tor and bungaboy like this.
    09-18-14 07:09 AM
    Lip service. Microsoft are also trying to undo the damage. But it's all just a show.
    The NSA isn't going anywhere.
    There's a reason Snowden can't go home.
    The fact is apple does have a back door. Snowden exposed The USA to many ugly truths. US will lose tens of billions to hundreds of billions in lost business due to Snowden .

Posted via CB10
    09-18-14 07:24 AM

Unlike BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Unlike Blackberry? You may want to read up on why Blackberry had to cave into some government demands.
    Take India for example. The Indian government has deals with all the telcoms that they will have access to all info going through their networks. BBM and bis was not going through any of the telcom networks which created a problem for the Indian government. And even then Blackberry dragged it's feet in allowing access to "certain " data. You would be kidding yourself to think by using an iPhone in India you were more secure.

Saudi Arabia same situation. That government also has complete access to telcoms traffic and BBM and bis created a problem.

Blackberry was doing nothing different that the telcom companies were already doing in these countries. Does it make it right? No. But to single them out is unfair.

Apple post a privacy statement basically printing what you want to read and it makes people feel better with an iPhone. It's just that, lip service. You would be a fool to think in this day and age government doesn't have some sort of access to your data be it windows phone, iPhone, Blackberry or Android.

Posted via CB10
    09-18-14 07:29 AM

Unlike BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Because iOS is already so full of holes, they didn't have to.
    09-18-14 07:29 AM
    Didn't get into the Apple Pay discussion, because even as a 10 year BB user, even I can admit the implementation with tokens instead of actual card data & ease of use is brilliantly executed.

However, here we see Apple just applying plausible deniability. Which confirms in no uncertain terms that they & others had access to iOS devices at will, because they held the encryption keys etc.

The below is a very good read: Your iOS 8 Data is Not Beyond Law Enforcement�s Reach� Yet.

Apple wants you to be able access your photos and other information from your desktop while the phone is locked � for ease of use. This, unfortunately, also opens up the capability for law enforcement to also use this mechanism to dump:

Your camera reel, videos, and recordings
    Podcasts, Books, and other iTunes media
    All third party application data

Existing commercial forensics tools can still acquire these artifacts from your device, even running iOS 8. I have tested with my own private forensics tools, as well, and confirmed this. I dumped all of my third party application data (including caches, databases, screenshots, etc), as well as my camera reel and other media� all within a few minutes and from my locked iPhone running iOS 8 GM.
    http://www.zdziarski.com/blog/?p=3875

There are caveats, but it is a good solid read.
    09-18-14 07:36 AM
    Hahahaha... Yeah iphones are more secure...
    Every other week there is a new video on how to bypass iphone lock screen- how to jailbreak your device and the list goes on. I dont think i've even seen a video about BB devices being bypassed by some 14-year old.
    CerveloJohn, lift, NYTOC83 and 2 others like this.
    09-18-14 07:58 AM

Unlike BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    I seem to be on the outs with this one, but if a criminals phone can stop crime / punish the guilty, not only am I ok with it I support it. When you choose to be a criminal I think you should loose certain rights, not basic human decentcy but definatley privacy as it pertains to the case. just my opinion.
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    09-18-14 08:06 AM
    It's all carefully worded PR. Apple said they do not allow access to their servers. Says nothing about your data. Also, it says their servers. I'd your data is being stored on servers that apple pays another company for then they are still telling the truth. Not once did they say your data was safe. I'm sure the NSA retrieves all data in transit anyways. So they don't need access to the servers.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy and unbreakablej like this.
    09-18-14 08:15 AM
    I seem to be on the outs with this one, but if a criminals phone can stop crime / punish the guilty, not only am I ok with it I support it. When you choose to be a criminal I think you should loose certain rights, not basic human decentcy but definatley privacy as it pertains to the case. just my opinion.
    Luckily the 1st amendment doesn't judge you before you are found guilty of committing a crime...Smh lol

Posted via CB10
    bibbula and midnightdoom like this.
    09-18-14 08:15 AM
    You're walking a thin line. Where do we draw the line? You gladly give up your freedoms and bow down to full government take over for a warm fuzzy feeling that you're safe? That's all it is. A feeling. Why didn't they catch the Boston bombers? This stuff isn't new at all. They have been doing it for DECADES! So why didn't they catch 9/11? It's a false sense of security. I mean how useful have all the TSA and airport security measures been? This is all about making the public FEEL safe while they take more and more if our freedoms away right in front of our eyes. And everyone let's it happen. It's about controlling the citizens and it's wrong!

Posted via CB10
    09-18-14 08:22 AM
    Also, they were not given access to the ENTIRE server, right? Like, they were only granted access to a small portion of the servers that contained information passing in and out of their country. It isn't like they could have been reading President Obama's BBMs or anything. Am I right or is that way off point?
    09-18-14 08:48 AM
    Will the problems ever end ? I guess when you use an old and outdated OS that's years behide the competition you get these never ending issues.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-29251961

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-18-14 09:22 AM
    OP, where in your link was "unlike BlackBerry" mentioned?
    Anyhow, Apple is speaking from both sides of its mouth. Reading in between the lines, Apples does and will still continue to have its doors very wide open for providing requested info as long as Apple has ensured that it is legally covered from subsequent litigations.
    CerveloJohn and bungaboy like this.
    09-18-14 09:34 AM
    Also, they were not given access to the ENTIRE server, right? Like, they were only granted access to a small portion of the servers that contained information passing in and out of their country. It isn't like they could have been reading President Obama's BBMs or anything. Am I right or is that way off point?
    You are correct. They were given the access to view BIS traffic in and out of the country. Keep in mind that this did not include BES traffic which is done in an encryption that even BB can't access. SO it's essentially just India and Saudi Arabia monitoring their own citizens, and seeing what they communicate
    09-18-14 09:34 AM
    [url=https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link=https%3A%2F%2Fapple.sjv.io%2Fc%2F221109%2F4 73657%2F7613%3FsubId1%3DUUcbUvbUpU10857960%26subId 2%3Dvbcb%26u%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fwww.apple.com%2 52Fprivacy%252Fgovernment-information-requests%252F&token=Ibu9-eCW]
    Unlike BlackBerry.
    Posted via CB10
    http://www.china.org.cn/opinion/2014...t_33313776.htm How should China respond to Apple's Chinese servers?
    Apple To Store Chinese Customers? Data On Mainland
    09-18-14 10:09 AM
    The problem is that many governments label anyone who speaks out against the regime as a "criminal". These "lawful requests" that you read about are simply tools of oppression.
    xandermac, Z10NIZED and medic22003 like this.
    09-18-14 10:31 AM
94 123 ...