I was just listening to Steve Jobs talk to reporters on a podcast about the whole Gizmodo incident, and i don't really remember people on this website (mainly the Apple guys before my RIM fans state the obvious) about there opinions on the matter with the iPhone 4 leaking. If there are any amature journalist who want to weigh in on the subject that would be great too.

So who feels Gizmodo was in the wrong for publishing the iPhone 4 without Apple's approval, as well as the whole extortion situation with Jason Chen of the website telling Steve that hey you haven't looked out for me lately so I'm going to go public with this regardless of what you say (which by the way was funny and ruthless). heres a link that goes into some info about the email exchange where the Gizmodo editor tried to extort Jobs and Apple Jason Chen posts - Media Maverick - CNET News
    Last edited by CrackberryBrandon; 06-20-10 at 09:26 PM.
    06-20-10 09:18 PM
    You do realize that a huge point that you missed was that Jason Chen willingly purchased stolen Apple pre-release equipment, knowing it was stolen, and openly admitting he purchased it.

Had this not happened, it wouldn't have become a huge thing that they leaked the information, it happens, they may have been asked to pull it but that would have been the extent of it.
    06-20-10 09:21 PM
    You do realize that a huge point that you missed was that Jason Chen willingly purchased stolen Apple pre-release equipment, knowing it was stolen, and openly admitting he purchased it.

Had this not happened, it wouldn't have become a huge thing that they leaked the information, it happens, they may have been asked to pull it but that would have been the extent of it.
    Yea sorry for leaving that out, i did know that. I'm personally more shocked how he and Gizmodo so to say since he was representing them tried to extort Jobs openly in an email exchange. He honestly wasn't thinking when doing that.
    06-20-10 09:27 PM
    He let all the hype and site traffic that the events were going to draw allow him to make dumb choices.

They should have left it with the tipsters photo's and never gone beyond that to purchase the device. Brought the rest of the events upon themselves after that.
    06-20-10 09:29 PM
    He let all the hype and site traffic that the events were going to draw allow him to make dumb choices.

They should have left it with the tipsters photo's and never gone beyond that to purchase the device. Brought the rest of the events upon themselves after that.
    yea definitely what they SHOULD have done, but as they say peer pressure is a dot dot dot you know the rest. And now Gizmodo is probably going to suffer although we will probably never hear about it.
    06-20-10 09:32 PM
    I for one don't feel sorry for Giz or Jason Chen one little bit. When you do something stupid you have to pay the price, and I think that we all can agree that buying stolen property is pretty stupid. Could Apple have handled the whole thing better, sure but in the end they do have a right to protect their own IP.
    06-20-10 10:33 PM
    I for one don't feel sorry for Giz or Jason Chen one little bit. When you do something stupid you have to pay the price, and I think that we all can agree that buying stolen property is pretty stupid. Could Apple have handled the whole thing better, sure but in the end they do have a right to protect their own IP.
    i agree, if you do something stupid like buy something that's stolen, you should pay the price...
    06-20-10 10:51 PM
    Its important to remember that Apple didn't get the police involved. It was the thief's roommate.
    06-20-10 11:14 PM
    Its important to remember that Apple didn't get the police involved. It was the thief's roommate.
    From what I understand it was both Apple and the roommate. What I ment by Apple handling the situation better is that they could have put out more info to show their side of the story, again I think that Apple was right and the victim in this whole deal.
    06-20-10 11:19 PM
    I can only imagine how much hate mail gizmodo got for doing what they did, and how much respect people lost for them. Jason Chens whole extortion attempt was very low
    Last edited by CrackberryBrandon; 06-21-10 at 10:04 AM.
    06-20-10 11:53 PM
    I think gizmodo were a little naive. They bought the phone, knew it was stolen, posted as many pics and info as they could with it and then contacted the person who lost the phone trying to give it back. Now that apple reacted they've been on an anti-apple rant. They got what they wanted, the traffic; but if they thought there wouldn't be any repercussions from obtaining and leaking info about the biggest phone this year then they deserve everything that happened
    06-21-10 06:16 AM
    have the really been anti-iPhone i actually stopped reading their site, and stuck with endgadget
    06-21-10 10:05 AM
    I never blamed Apple for going after him. It's basically a case with extortion
    involved in it. I heard that podcast with Steve Jobs from the D8 conference. What
    he said in the closing part when they asked him about how Apple differs now as
    opposed to ten years ago, he used the Gizmodo thing as an example. He basically
    said that people around him told him to just let it go. People are going to do these
    kind of things and try to extort you. But he said since he started, we keep
    everything within and wouldn't have put up with it back then. So why put up with
    something like that now? He sort of swayed me with that. If I was in his shoes, I
    probably would have done the same thing.

What I love about Jobs is I can easily relate to the guy. Unlike Mike Lazardis who
    when he speaks, strikes me as very arrogant. You might say the same for Jobs,
    but when he actually badmouths another company, whether it be Google or Adobe,
    the opponet usually initiates it. Apple has stayed quiet about many things. And
    notice during that conference when being asked about Google he remarked "Well
    just because you're in competition with someone doesn't mean you have to be
    rude."
    06-21-10 12:21 PM
    Yeah I'm siding with Apple on this. for one thing what Gizmodo did was by any definition illegal but they did it anyways because they thought it was OK and believed there was a loophole somewhere.
    I have no idea about the phone itself but it may have been considered a personal phone by the owner so when it was sold and picked apart the owner may have felt a bit violated.
    and two weeks later or so we got more pictures from Taiwan and confirmation of the A4, so giz's effort only lasted a couple weeks.

I never did browse giz because I have found it to usually be biased to an irrational extent, and now I have less incentive.
    06-21-10 12:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD