An iphone on Verizon would be sweet. But probably waaay too expensive.
    probably not.
    10-22-09 12:31 AM
    as previously stated, the 4g is not cdma, this is absurd, there won't be a CDMA iphone, i will bet anyone, any amount, and i'm serious, i'll sign documentation. it would be a HUGE waste of resources for both apple AND verizon to produce a cdma iphone. their GSM 4G network will suit current hardware just fine.
    10-22-09 12:41 AM
    Don't forget about the memory .

I hate Apple for not allowing expandable memory, but who's the first in line every season to get a new iPod? Yup, that's right...me. And millions of other people.

I've been good this year, though, waiting till at least an 80GB Touch comes out before I rebuy.

And back to the thread, why are carriers still pursuing CDMA?? And why would Apple even go backwards like that?

what do you need expandable memory for? this is an honest question because i don't know the answer, but how many other phones currently support 32gb of memory? and you just know that storage capacity is going to double in a year or two, just in time for your next upgrade. besides, who wants to keep track of multiple cards? not i...not i.
    10-22-09 12:41 AM
    According to an article on TheModerateVoice.com...

"sources have confirmed that Apple and Verizon have been testing a CDMA iPhone on Verizon�s 4G LTE network. Yes, you read that correctly, Verizon and Apple have been testing the first 4G phone on Verizon�s 4G network. The tests have been taking place for the last couple of months but with no confirmation on the release date� it would make good fiscal sense for Apple (and Verizon) to release the first CDMA iPhone right here in the United States running on Verizon�s new 4G network, with announcement expected in 2010 at Apple�s WWDC.
    link?
    10-22-09 12:42 AM
    hmmm i found this on wired.com..

"Apple on Wednesday said it has no plans to discontinue AT&T’s exclusive rights to carry the iPhone in the United States.

Apple chief operating officer Tim Cook expressed confidence in AT&T as its exclusive U.S. partner, despite Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster’s suggestion that the No. 1 reason consumers resist buying an iPhone is because of AT&T.

"We believe they’re the best wireless provider in the U.S.," Cook said of AT&T during Apple’s quarter-two conference call. "They put the full force and weight of their company behind it. We’re very happy with the relationship we have and do not have a plan to change it."

Though the terms of Apple’s contract with AT&T remain a secret, many sources have said AT&T’s exclusivity over the iPhone expires in 2010. Excited by this rumor, many consumers have been discussing the possibility of the iPhone being available for the Verizon network. Verizon CEO Ivan Seidenberg last week speculated that a deal with Apple will be more likely when Verizon rolls out its 4G network next year.

However, Cook on Wednesday suggested it was unlikely for Apple to work with Verizon anytime soon. He explained Verizon’s network is on the CDMA standard was limited, and AT&T was a better choice because it utilizes the widely used GSM network.

"We chose from the beginning of the iPhone to focus on one phone for the whole world," Cook said. "CDMA doesn’t really have a life to it after a point in time."

This news will undoubtedly disappoint some Verizon customers who are itching for the iPhone but refuse to switch to AT&T"

so that article suggests that once verizon gets its 4g up and running that a verzion iphone should happen. but it also suggests that it doesnt plan on leaving at&t anytime soon. there are rumors that at&t and apple are in works of extending their deal til 2011 which verizon shouldnt care about anyways since its 4g probably wont be ready til around there anyways.
    Thats months old. I could careless about the iphone. But hey good news for VZW.
    10-22-09 12:47 AM
    What does it matter....the Droid is going to wax the floor with the IPhone. :-)
    10-22-09 07:44 AM
    I might get it....might not
    10-22-09 08:20 AM
    I might get it as well. For me to get rid of my Storm, the Droid would need to fill in the gaps.
    10-22-09 08:22 AM
    An iphone on Verizon would be sweet. But probably waaay too expensive.
    yea but think about all the people on vzw that will actually switch to the iphone. they would only make more money in the end.

personally i'm waiting to see something official so i can actually get excited about the iphone. im tired of my bsberry.
    10-22-09 08:31 AM
    A win/win situation for Apple and VZW would be for apple to make a dual cmda/LTE iPhone, and market it as the first 4G iphone.

Verizon then contractually agree that is is the only LTE (4G) on their network for 12-18+ months.

This would ensure to get the people who would normnally adopt an iPhone as well as those who must be on the bleedingedge of technology.
    10-22-09 09:16 AM
    I have always thought I would very likley switch to an iPhone when Verizon puts one out with Apple. But now that I have spent 1month+ with my Tour, I am not so sure. I love the push e-mail. I just don't see how Apple can do that as eloquently as RIM.
    10-22-09 10:27 AM
    My wife would be first in line for a Verizon iPhone. Att service is not that great where we and our family live. That is the only reason she does not own an iPhone yet.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-22-09 10:36 AM
    Well, one more reason to not use Verizon. The iPhone is the reason at+t's network sucks; the iPhone sucks considerably more bandwidth that any other phone and ruins the network for other users.

And iPhone users too, I suspect. When they have slow connections/bandwidth problems, it will frequently be because of other iPhones!

BTW: if AT+T and Verizon are both going to use LTE for 4G, does anyone know what Sprint's new 4G network uses? And how they compare?

10-22-09 11:50 AM
    Well, one more reason to not use Verizon. The iPhone is the reason at+t's network sucks; the iPhone sucks considerably more bandwidth that any other phone and ruins the network for other users.

And iPhone users too, I suspect. When they have slow connections/bandwidth problems, it will frequently be because of other iPhones!

BTW: if AT+T and Verizon are both going to use LTE for 4G, does anyone know what Sprint's new 4G network uses? And how they compare?

Sprint's 4G network is WiMax. It has very fast speeds, but is not widely implemented.

There is merit to what you are saying about the iPhone. In proportion to the total number of devices on AT&T's network, the iPhone is a small fraction. That small fraction, however, is consuming the majority of the data. More congestion with little additonal cost recovery is a big problem for AT&T.
    10-22-09 11:54 AM
    Actually it isnt such a small percent. They released to day they activated about 3.2 million on ATT this quarter alone. I think there are about 10 million total on ATT- so about 10-12% of ATT customers.

Thats a pretty significant portion considering its one phone.
    10-22-09 02:03 PM
    Actually it isnt such a small percent. They released to day they activated about 3.2 million on ATT this quarter alone. I think there are about 10 million total on ATT- so about 10-12% of ATT customers.

Thats a pretty significant portion considering its one phone.
    ...That's 32% for those of you who don't speak Stu. ;-)

-Stephen
    10-22-09 09:01 PM
    I wasnt clear, i meant about 9-10 million total iphones on ATT out of 80 million total ATT subs, so roughly 10%
    10-22-09 09:06 PM
    10-22-09 09:44 PM
    In case someone hadn't seen it when I had posted this on a different thread, here's possible info. on Verizon 4G, LTE, & ipone.

Bigger News for Verizon Than Motorola’s Droid � FoneFrenzy – Mobile Technology Blog
    10-22-09 10:09 PM
    "Even if we lose exclusivity, we will be the only carrier with HSPA 7.2 and (new devices) will work on our network faster," de la Vega said. “I feel as strongly as ever (about the capability of devices in our lineup.)"

I see nothing hinting there. He's simply trying to say that IF they ever did lose the exclusivity theyd still be making gains and have a strong line-up; basically reassuring investors theyre not a one pony company (even though the iphone IS a big pony).

Hypothetically even if they werent resigning with Apple, de la Vega wouldnt be publicly announcing so either way. Thats the last logical move of a CEO saying your prize fighter is going to be fighting for both teams, it would stifle purchases and customer adds.

In case someone hadn't seen it when I had posted this on a different thread, here's possible info. on Verizon 4G, LTE, & ipone.

Bigger News for Verizon Than Motorola’s Droid � FoneFrenzy – Mobile Technology Blog
    As said in the other thread, Fone Frenzy? Who?

Also because Google is 8.5 miles from Apple DOESNT mean VZW's CEO visited or talked to Apple. A poor set of baseless assumptions at best by a no-name blog trying to get some spotlight.

Not a credible source for any info, and no credible news source is mirroring any of this information from their own sources.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 10-22-09 at 11:12 PM.
    10-22-09 11:01 PM
    10-22-09 11:54 PM
    This isn't the first time he has hinted it.

http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2009/10...e-exclusivity/
    He is just restating the obvious. No info whether the exclusivity ends in June 2010, or will be extended to some distant date beyond. Nothing we already didn't know.
    10-23-09 09:03 AM
    it doesnt matter if the exclusivity ends or is extended. AT&T will always carry the iPhone , the only change is every other carrier will to. This now creates the game of "who has better service" rather than who has the iPhone...
    10-23-09 10:49 AM
    Looks like News & Rumors to me. You're safe, for NOW!
    so why did it get moved? Guess another mod had nothing better to do lol... haterz!
    10-23-09 08:24 PM
    and thus it becomes the razr, it will rapidly evaporate into a completely mundane yesterday device, wait it already is.
    10-24-09 02:59 AM
80 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD