Apple is testing an 8-inch iPad according to a report in the WSJ. Apparently Apple is working with component suppliers in Asia to test out a new size iPad with a smaller screen. According to the report, Apple wants to broaden its product pipeline to maintain its dominant position in the tablet market.

Officials at some of Apple’s suppliers, who declined to be named, said the Cupertino, Calif.-based company has shown them screen designs for a new device with a screen size of around 8-inches, and said it is qualifying suppliers for it. Apple’s latest tablet, the iPad 2, comes with a 9.7-inch screen. One person said the smaller device will have a similar resolution screen as the iPad 2. Apple is working with screen makers including Taiwan-based AU Optronics Co. and LG Display Co. of South Korea to supply the test panels, the person said.

http://www.imore.com/2012/02/14/appl...treet-journal/
    Didn’t someone say that These smaller/better more portable Tablets were “DOA”?

"these (7-inch) devices are too small for a pleasant touchscreen experience."

“7-inch tablets are tweeners: too big to compete with a smartphone and too small to compete with the iPad,”

“These are among the reasons that the current crop of 7-inch tablets are going to be DOA — dead on arrival,”
    The fact that they are rumoured to be looking at smaller tablets should be no suprise to anyone. Steve Jobs has been known in the past to denigrate a product category, only to unveil a similar product later.

I'm just not sure I'll be able to handle all the iPuppies who will start raving about how "once again Apple found the perfect size"
    jamesbondOO7 likes this.
    02-14-12 06:20 AM
    Yup; the sleazy hypocrisy oozing from Santa Clara County knows no bounds.
    jamesbondOO7 likes this.
    02-14-12 06:24 AM
    Whoa, come on guys..

First, I don't think this goes after the PlayBook market, if, and this is a big if, they keep it at the $199 price point. I know in the long term this isn't very profitable, but if Apple does release it, that price point is here to stay

Second, if you look throughout the industry, a lot of CEO's go back on old statements. Heck, Jim and Mike laughed when the thought of putting a music player or camera on their devices. Sometimes, the market dictates a change, no matter what the CEO thinks.

I certainly don't think this would classify as "sleazy hypocrisy", and at the same time you would be accusing the Co-CEO's of the same thing.
    02-14-12 06:53 AM
    Yup; the sleazy hypocrisy oozing from Santa Clara County knows no bounds.
    You're right. I mean, if a CEO says one thing and then does something else, it's sleazy hypocrisy. Kind of like this:

“BlackBerry smartphones will never have cameras because the No. 1 customer of ours is the U.S. government,” and, “There will never be a BlackBerry with an MP3 player or camera."

-Mike Lazaridis.

http://www.tele-management.ca/conten...erm_challenges

You might say this is completely different, and it is. But the difference doesn't help you, because while the 8-in iPad hasn't been announced yet, there are millions of BlackBerry devices with both camera and music player. Hypocrisy is pervasive, even in Waterloo.

CEOs say zig and then do zag. That's the way it goes.
    02-14-12 06:55 AM
    I don't think there is any reason to sling negative comments. Jobs was famous for helping his current marketing by stating it was the best or only choice. He, like RIM, turned from comments many times to do what he said he would not. Plus, he is dead and he is the one that issued the statement about smaller tablets.

I think they are smart to cover the market. RIM should do the same.
    02-14-12 07:04 AM
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it Jobs who said they had looked at smaller sizes and they didn't like it?

Is Cook not allowed to reevaluate any of Jobs' decisions now that he is in charge?
    02-14-12 07:28 AM

I certainly don't think this would classify as "sleazy hypocrisy", and at the same time you would be accusing the Co-CEO's of the same thing.
    sorry, but I prefer the idea of calling Steve Jobs a sleazy hypocrite.
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    02-14-12 07:33 AM
    OP insults aside, If this turns out to be true you'll be able to count PB shipments on one hand.
    02-14-12 07:40 AM
    sorry, but I prefer the idea of calling Steve Jobs a sleazy hypocrite.
    Good point. My definition of "sleazy hypocrite" includes someone who talks about how much fun he's having while on the same earnings call where layoffs "cost optimization" is announced, but to each their own.

http://crackberry.com/rim-earnings-c...-blog-and-chat
    brucep1 and avt123 like this.
    02-14-12 07:57 AM
    BTW, is it hypocrite or iPocrite?
    02-14-12 08:12 AM
    Well, this started as an insult fest and it looks like it'll end that way too.

Sent from my iPhone4s using Tapatalk
    02-14-12 08:16 AM
    CEO's crack me up as much as people who just cant discuss a topic and try and get smart. Im sure people including myself, only come here to read current updates and peoples views.
    02-14-12 08:41 AM
    It'll be called the iKnow...

Jobs was wrong...I know

It looks like a playbook...I know

It's made in sweat shops...I know
    02-15-12 08:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD