So here's the scoop. I bought my 3G on Craigslist. I bought it from the guy at a great price because the LCD was cracked and needed to be replaced and I don't think the guy wanted to deal with it, or knew it could be fixed, IDK

Anywho... I fixed the LCD, but then discovered that the proximity sensor didn't work, which I dealt with for several weeks until I accidentally hung up on a client twice during the same conversation... So back into the phone I went and discovered that I didn't have cable 3 (which is for the proximity sensor) seated properly, so I fixed that, went to reboot, and of course trouble. Basically I got to the point where I could only get the Apple boot logo or a white screen and my Mac wouldn't recognize it unless it was in DFU mode... I attempted numerous times to restore the phone to no avail... Still stuck on boot logo or white screen.

At this point I decided I'd check the phone's warranty info which I never had before and I discovered that it was still under warranty until December. So I said what the ****, I'm going to take this thing to the Apple store and tell them that I was trying to update to 3.0 when this happened and see what they do. Well, the guy looks at the phone, puts his little pocket light in the water sensors, sees nothing, tries to get it recognized on their system, nothing - so he reaches in to the drawer and pulls out a replacement.

So now the question I should have asked before I went into the Apple Store: What is going to happen now? He never asked me if I've done anything to the phone that would void the warranty; and I could always plead ignorance since I bought the phone second hand... So are they going to check this thing out and stick me with a bill? I'm not really worried too much because it's not like AT&T's warranty replacement where you do that whole mail the phones back and forth thing and then they inspect your return. Does anyone know (and by know I mean first hand actually know) what Apple does with those returns?

Thank you much!
    Last edited by sandos; 06-30-09 at 03:57 PM.
    06-30-09 02:26 PM
    Once they give you a replacement you have no worries.. don't sweat it. 70% of what humans worry about NEVER happens. Apple determines if they can refurbish it or probably just toss it.
    06-30-09 04:26 PM
    Once they give you a replacement you have no worries.. don't sweat it. 70% of what humans worry about NEVER happens. Apple determines if they can refurbish it or probably just toss it.
    lol... How did you know I have general anxiety disorder?
    06-30-09 04:43 PM
    I wouldnt worry either, once its done its done. theyre just going to take the whole thing apart and refurb it anyways.
    06-30-09 05:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD