03-16-11 02:19 PM
106 ... 345
tools
    Why would anyone want Apple to win this battle? So they can pay MacBook Pro prices for technology you can get for 1/3 of the price? I hope that RIM, Andriod, Apple, MSFT, and anyone else gets into the tablet game to drive that price down.

If the iPad operating system was so fantastic, then you'd see a higher price but as it stands today, tablets as a whole just can't do everything a computer can...yet. So Apple can't charge a premium for their iOS on the iPad the way they do for their computers. People pay a premium for Apple computers because of their OS (and marketing). iPad really goes against their tradition of premium pricing.

So I do hope this battle is bloody, ugly, and full of price cuts.
    I agree completely. Competition is good, period.

Best way to make people think your products are second to none, in a market of their own, and have a cult following: Tell people all that is true and act like others only strive to be like you. Welcome to marketing! Many of you hate and get emotional about Apple because you think they are pompous and think they are gods of technology. That is their thing and their marketing engine!! It works with most people, and I think that is just fine. I judge their products on my own. I liken it to Sting and Bono simply saying they are eccentric and cooler than everyone else in music. People bought that too!

Apple takes this concept to heart when designing their products and designing their OS features, etc. They are very particular about industrial design, and they focus on one or two killer features while leaving what many of us think should be standard for "later". This drives sales now because people have to have the killer features, even if some others are lacking. It drives upgrades later as well. They are extremely innovative in finding what will appeal to people who have the money.

Many of you think innovation is inventing. It is not. Innovation is the process that renews something that exists and not, as is commonly assumed, the introduction of something new. Innovation is creating market or a need/want by putting together killer combinations people want. It may also involve making something practical that was viewed as impractical, like a totally touch screen phone without a keyboard or buttons!

Apple says others are behind, copying, and struggling to catch up because it drives people to see them as superior. Marketing 101, and completely fair. RIM should do more of that and sell people on their killer features. For example, non BB people and many people with BB's had never heard of BBM until those 2010 commercials, and those commercials said nothing about what it was to non-tech people. Welcome to someone who needs to learn marketing 101. Sell to your audience, not yourself.
    03-06-11 07:07 AM
    The copycat comment was my favorite, i think it's very true. Whether the ipad is the best tablet or not is a different discussion but no doubt everyone is trying to emulate Apple's model, we are just seeing variants of it.
    03-07-11 11:13 AM
    The copycat comment was my favorite, i think it's very true. Whether the ipad is the best tablet or not is a different discussion but no doubt everyone is trying to emulate Apple's model, we are just seeing variants of it.
    Exactly. Apple never said they made the first tablet. People here are getting too carried away. Before they even find out what Apple said they make stupid comments. Even Jobs himself said that "every tablet that has come before the iPad has crashed and burned". His words. So obviously that says they weren't the first. But what Apple has done before anyone was make a mobile OS for a tablet AND become successful with it. I firmly believe that if Apple did not make an iPad there would be no Android tablets nor blackberry playbook, especially this year. All these companies saw what Apple did and are now following them trying to emulate their success by having their own mobile platforms optimized for a tablet. And that is why they are copycats.
    03-07-11 12:22 PM
    I think a more accurate way to frame the 'Year of the Copycat' comment would be that other companies are trying to emulate Apples success with this class of device.

It's common knowledge that Apple did not invent the tablet form factor.
    Star Trek did that.
    03-08-11 11:14 AM
    March 11th.....lololol Sorry RIM
    + 1 !

10 man char
    03-08-11 03:29 PM
    Well, then it's a change from the years of the sheep.
    03-16-11 02:19 PM
106 ... 345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD