03-16-11 02:19 PM
106 ... 2345
tools

Apple has to realize, what goes up, must eventually come down...this cocky bullsh*t won't fly for long...
    Apple knows what works for them. Apple is not going down anytime soon. A year ago no one was into the whole tablet thing. Most people felt that they didn't need one including myself. Now look, a year later there are HUNDREDS of tablets all trying to be the IPAD KILLER (just like the concept of the iphone killer). So when you say Apple is going down its actually the opposite. And of course they could have added more things to the ipad 2. I think they were smart for not doing that though because there needs to be things that people want for the ipad 3. Apple will continue to lead whether you like it or not.
    03-04-11 01:47 PM
    Apple has to realize, what goes up, must eventually come down...this cocky bullsh*t won't fly for long...
    Why? Until someone can stop them, they have every right to talk ****. I find the cockiness to be great. If anything, it will **** off the other companies enough to say "hey, lets make something incredible so we can make Apple stfu".
    03-04-11 01:57 PM
    ...In the words of Ric Flair, "To be the man, you gotta beat the man, WOOOOOOOOOOO!!".
    I think you are a bit of a Apple fan, and owning a iphone and a ipad you feel the need to defend their actions. That I don't agree with...

But, anyone who can work a Ric Flair quote into a forum post is o.k. by me
    03-04-11 02:10 PM
    I think you are a bit of a Apple fan, and owning a iphone and a ipad you feel the need to defend their actions. That I don't agree with...

But, anyone who can work a Ric Flair quote into a forum post is o.k. by me
    LOL. Yes I am an Apple fan but because their devices work for me not because it's Apple. I use every platform and switch according to my needs. I was just fooling around with that person because they are all worked up over Apple's "cockiness". Just making a big deal out of nothing. Just shows sometimes people care more about "personalities" more than actual function at times. Do they seem arrogant at times? He11 yeah. Does it **** me off? Nope. I'm hoping it pisses the other companies off to making better products. If Apple or any other company likes to talk about how great they believe they are, they certainly have earned that reputation to do so and back it up everything they release their quarterly statements

But make no mistake about it, because I feel Apple's products suit me best right now, I by no means agree with everything they do and wish they changed their stance on some of their policies.

And yes, gotta love Ric Flair. Imagine Jobs strutting around on stage like Flair, now say that's wouldn't be awesome?
    03-04-11 02:18 PM
    GIFSoup

Good 'ol Ric Flair
    "Whether you like it or not, learn to love it, because its the best thing going. Wooooo!"
    03-04-11 02:20 PM
    Here is the bottom line. Apple knows how to design, produce, market and put out products that usually just work. RIM has been talking about a tablet for years yet no one can buy one. I like both companies but RIM is so slow and out of date. I am surprised they can stay in business.
    03-04-11 02:24 PM
    3 models of the iPhone are less than 2% behind the 26 models of BB. So much for being outnumbered...
    I love that RIM offers so much choice.
    03-04-11 02:32 PM
    Choice is good but that wasn't the argument. So it doesn't apply here because if we want to talk about choice then Android is the king of choice (or overkill).
    03-04-11 02:35 PM
    Choice is great. I respect RIM for offering a variety. But that % is something to think about.
    03-04-11 03:13 PM
    Choice is great. I respect RIM for offering a variety. But that % is something to think about.
    Don't get caught up in the stats.
    People think that it's a big disadvantage because Apple only offers 3 models compared to 26 models of BB. But I don't think the number of models really has a big effect on the total sales. If Apple offered 24 models would they sell 8 times as many phones? Obviously not. So comparing Apple's total sales to RIM's total sales if valid regardless of the number of models each offers.
    03-04-11 05:05 PM
    Don't get caught up in the stats.
    People think that it's a big disadvantage because Apple only offers 3 models compared to 26 models of BB. But I don't think the number of models really has a big effect on the total sales. If Apple offered 24 models would they sell 8 times as many phones? Obviously not. So comparing Apple's total sales to RIM's total sales if valid regardless of the number of models each offers.
    If Apple sold 24 different models of the iPhone, I am absolutely POSITIVE they would sell a lot more devices. Maybe not 8 times as many, but a lot more than they already do.

You are forgetting something. RIM has basically every form factor out, besides a horizontal slider.

How many people on this site (and not just this site, I know people IRL that say it as well) say that if the iPhone had a keyboard, or if the iPhone had cheaper models (especially how Europeans love to eat up the pay as you go offers for BBs, and I believe the iPhone is not available on prepaid lines) they would try the iPhone? That is just 2 different models added. Now add the bigger screen models for people who bought 4 inches and up, sliders and some others and I have no doubt they would have sold more.

I know what you are saying, but we are comparing a VARIETY of devices, to 3 iPhones that are basically the same besides being a newer design faster speed and nicer screen. We haven't even included the physical keyboard market, out of which over 90% of BBs are.
    Last edited by avt123; 03-04-11 at 05:15 PM.
    03-04-11 05:11 PM
    add a physical keyboard to the iphone and see how many people eat that up. RIM would really feel some pressure then i think
    03-04-11 05:15 PM
    Given the problems they seem to have with antennas then it is probably a wise thing for them not to release multiple models.

Limiting themselves to basically a single model makes sense while their sales maintain their growth, they have spent all this time telling people the iphone is the best design so to then go back on that to do something like making a slider would be a fairly drastic u-turn and an admission that their phone isn't perfect for everyone, it seems far more likely to me that if they expanded their range it would be with another all-touch model that was smaller and/or cheaper i.e. something that would potentially expand their market and was unlikely to take away sales from the main model.
    03-04-11 06:07 PM
    add a physical keyboard to the iphone and see how many people eat that up. RIM would really feel some pressure then i think
    There are plenty of decent phones with a physical keyboard, still hasn't been one to match up with one from blackberry so such a move could backfire on apple, make people realise that they like a physical keyboard on their phone and they move to the ones that do them better.
    03-04-11 06:10 PM
    i say that assuming apple does it right and is on par with BB in terms of keybaord. Not some crap like on the pres and not like on the droid pro
    03-04-11 06:15 PM
    I think MANY of the existing iPhone users would be on different Apple devices if they made many device types.

I do think they'd be the market leader head and sholders above everyone if they offered multiple models, BUT then they wouldn't be apple, Apple has ALWAYS been my way or the highway, and the App centric design of the iPhone is very touch screen based, just like the Storm OS sucked for touch screen use, I strongly believe iOS would suck in a none touchscreen environment, apps take so long to use when scrolling and scrolling because you don't have a touch screen,
    03-04-11 06:16 PM
    There are plenty of decent phones with a physical keyboard, still hasn't been one to match up with one from blackberry so such a move could backfire on apple, make people realise that they like a physical keyboard on their phone and they move to the ones that do them better.
    Apple prides themselves on design. I doubt they would release a smartphone with a keyboard that wasn't up to par. But Apple likes minimal moving parts, so a keyboard would be against what they believe.
    03-04-11 06:19 PM
    I think MANY of the existing iPhone users would be on different Apple devices if they made many device types.
    Agreed. But at the same time it will open it up to users who haven't considered the iPhon because it is a full touchscreen.

I do think they'd be the market leader head and sholders above everyone if they offered multiple models, BUT then they wouldn't be apple, Apple has ALWAYS been my way or the highway, and the App centric design of the iPhone is very touch screen based, just like the Storm OS sucked for touch screen use, I strongly believe iOS would suck in a none touchscreen environment, apps take so long to use when scrolling and scrolling because you don't have a touch screen,
    That's where having a slider comes in, like the Droid/Droid2/G2/Desire Z type devices. You do not have to abandon the touchscreen, and you can cater to those who need a physical keyboard.

They can also make a vertical slider like the Torch and have a more compact keyboard for those types of users as well.

But like I said in a previous post, Apple is all about less moving parts. So all of this is highly unlikely. Also, like you said, Apple does things the way they want things done, and if you don't like it you can buy a different product or deal with it.
    03-04-11 06:23 PM
    So let's say Apple decides to say "Screw it, we're releasing a keyboard device" and then turns around, does its R&D, and then does it 2.5 million times better than BlackBerry. I think RIM would just accept defeat and fold there and then... Which would make me go on a headhunting spree for every RIM employee... as I would no longer have access to the BIS and hence, my phone would be rendered useless, causing my accessories to be rendered useless, and the Playbook I am getting to be rendered useless.

As it stands though, BB is king of keyboards (IMO).
    03-04-11 07:12 PM
    So let's say Apple decides to say "Screw it, we're releasing a keyboard device" and then turns around, does its R&D, and then does it 2.5 million times better than BlackBerry. I think RIM would just accept defeat and fold there and then... Which would make me go on a headhunting spree for every RIM employee... as I would no longer have access to the BIS and hence, my phone would be rendered useless, causing my accessories to be rendered useless, and the Playbook I am getting to be rendered useless.

As it stands though, BB is king of keyboards (IMO).
    I don't think RIM would fold. That would be stupid. I am sure they have enough talent somewhere to come out with something similar or better. I doubt an iPhone with a keyboard would destroy the company.
    03-04-11 07:15 PM
    I wish the copycats would just quit and leave the tablets to Apple.

I kind of feel bad for all the people that bought a Zoom. They have no iTunes, Garage Band, App Store and now it's obsolete.

I don't "hate" droid, but it bothers me how some apps are for Apple and others are for droid and how some things aren't compatible. I wish we could just decide on one format and move forward. (that format being iPad)
    03-05-11 06:42 AM
    As much as some would like you to believe this is not Apple's world.
    03-05-11 07:29 AM
    if apple had made the tablet then yes youd have a point, sadly apple didnt

Tablet personal computer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

year of the copycats, use a screen cover thats already been made by another company, and add magnets for the screen, umm my BlackBerry case has that.

year of the copycats indeed
    03-05-11 08:10 AM
    Why would anyone want Apple to win this battle? So they can pay MacBook Pro prices for technology you can get for 1/3 of the price? I hope that RIM, Andriod, Apple, MSFT, and anyone else gets into the tablet game to drive that price down.

If the iPad operating system was so fantastic, then you'd see a higher price but as it stands today, tablets as a whole just can't do everything a computer can...yet. So Apple can't charge a premium for their iOS on the iPad the way they do for their computers. People pay a premium for Apple computers because of their OS (and marketing). iPad really goes against their tradition of premium pricing.

So I do hope this battle is bloody, ugly, and full of price cuts.
    03-05-11 08:35 AM
    Why would anyone want Apple to win this battle? So they can pay MacBook Pro prices for technology you can get for 1/3 of the price? I hope that RIM, Andriod, Apple, MSFT, and anyone else gets into the tablet game to drive that price down.

If the iPad operating system was so fantastic, then you'd see a higher price but as it stands today, tablets as a whole just can't do everything a computer can...yet. So Apple can't charge a premium for their iOS on the iPad the way they do for their computers. People pay a premium for Apple computers because of their OS (and marketing). iPad really goes against their tradition of premium pricing.

So I do hope this battle is bloody, ugly, and full of price cuts.
    *stands up clapping loudly*

Here , here!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-05-11 09:32 AM
106 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD