RIM would have to literally give away the Playbook to even touch Apple at this point. Take a page out of MS XBOX vs PS2 ... Microsoft took a profit lost just to get into the gaming market. Sold the xbox's for 150-200$ when PS was at $300+, for every xbox sold MS lost an avg of $100-150 based on cost of production. Fast forward to now and MS is killing the PS3 in units sold vs the 360.

The problem with the Playbook in my opinion is that it's catering to BB users only. Apple iPad is geared to PC and Mac people. I have not seen the Playbook advertised anywhere else other than BB sites. And the tethering that requires a BB to get your calendar, mail and BBM is like come on RIM. Not everyone wants a BB or has one anymore.

Playbook needs to be at like $299 and to have a set launch date. that would grab everyone's attention and have people atleast trying it out. cause there is no way i'd spend $499+, iPad yes but Playbook at that price no
    gtfoutta here.
    03-02-11 01:01 PM
    gtfoutta here.
    They have to do something to be aggressive and get noticed. coming out and just price matching all the competitors is a dumb idea. It seems like Microsoft and Apple are the only companies willing to take risks. Understandable they have more cash on hand to play with but being a follow the leader won't get you but so far. Playbook appeals to blackberry loyalist only. no one knows about the BB Playbook outside of BB Forums and tech gadget sites.
    03-02-11 01:14 PM
    Oh, so the CNN, NBC and HLN broadcasts didn't actually review the PB over the last three days...that only happened here and on tech sites.
    I must be jetlagged...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-02-11 01:32 PM
    This was discussed last year. Apple didn't claimed to be the first. They just claimed to have the best 1. That's a big difference because they succeeded in a market there everyone else fail and many gave up. That deserves a lot of merit.
    Undoubtedly. I take no Merit from what Apple has done. I take away the fact that everyone is "copying" them. It's not that big of a deal. They move a lot of units at Apple. More power to them.

03-02-11 01:36 PM
    Undoubtedly. I take no Merit from what Apple has done. I take away the fact that everyone is "copying" them. It's not that big of a deal. They move a lot of units at Apple. More power to them.

I understand that. But I think it's hard to disagree that if Apple never released the iPad there most likely wouldn't be any one of the major companies pushing out tablets this year. So they are copying them by now trying to release a similar product. They surely aren't trying to copy those that released tablets and failed. I'm not saying it's a bad thing but it is what it is.
    03-02-11 01:40 PM
    apple has set the standard in the smartphone and the tablet industry. try to prove me wrong...
    Entertainment72 likes this.
    03-02-11 01:43 PM
    apple has set the standard in the smartphone and the tablet industry. try to prove me wrong...
    Exactly. Every phone that comes out is automatically measured against the iPhone and tabs measured with the iPad. They opened the market, set the standards. Are their devices perfect? NO! But they have in many ways paved the way for companies like Motorola to rebound by essentially creating a market. I don't agree with Apple all the time and do wish they change their policies on certain things but at the same time, we cannot deny that they keep putting products out there that forces competition and that's better for all of us.
    03-02-11 01:49 PM
    Apple iPad 1 at $399 is probably a bigger blow to RIM than the iPad 2
    howarmat and Entertainment72 like this.
    03-02-11 01:51 PM
    exactly, i am glad someone else noticed this
    03-02-11 01:53 PM
    Yeah I agree. Many people will love to get one for that price. The Xoom as well. I know the original iPad is not up to specs compared to the Xoom but weighing the options between a 400 ipad or 800 Xoom, it's almost a no brainer for many people.
    03-02-11 01:58 PM
    right, its a hard sell no matter specs the other tablets offer.....consumers care alot about price. Tech nuts care about the specs more
    03-02-11 02:03 PM
    we'll see if they have alot of iPad 1s anyway in stock. there were rumours of production delays for this new one, there may not even be that many left.
    03-02-11 02:05 PM
    Yeah I agree. Many people will love to get one for that price. The Xoom as well. I know the original iPad is not up to specs compared to the Xoom but weighing the options between a 400 ipad or 800 Xoom, it's almost a no brainer for many people.
    Xoom is just getting cast asunder...the PB still maintains a slim chance, but it really probably won't make a dent and I agree with the statement made on page 2 about microsoft vs sony...if RIM does wanna compete they will make the necessary adjustments...

The problem is...they probably won't...and they will probably carry on doing business as usual because they don't put too much stock in consumers and concerning themselves with enterprise...yet, with a lot of people jumping ship on the enterprise side, they should show some savvy maneuvering...and if the PB is coming out in April like that BGR claim stated, I think they won't have a lot of choice upon releasing the PB in terms of price - maybe that's why they haven't given a clear cut price point.
    03-02-11 02:05 PM
    we'll see if they have alot of iPad 1s anyway in stock. there were rumours of production delays for this new one, there may not even be that many left.
    True. I'm sure between Verizon stores, AT&T stores, Best Buy, Walmart, Apple online and retail stores and any other outlet they have enough to sell a pretty good number. But we will see.
    03-02-11 02:07 PM
    I guess we will have to see if it is a permanent move to keep the ipad 1 on sale like they do with the new iphones or if this is simply to clear out stock before a complete switch-over to the new model like they have with new ipods, in the uk all the models have been reduced so clearing stock doesn't seem that unlikely.

If you look at the additions in the ipad 2, unless you had a particular need for the cameras then the ipad 1 would also hurt sales of the ipad 2 and not just those from rival companies.
    03-02-11 02:13 PM
    If we take off the fanboy googles and cap for just a moment, I don't see how no one can look at RIM or any of the others guys now and NOT SAY, "WTF?!"

Apple just announced the product and it will be in stores for you to purchase in than 15 or 25 days, depending on what country you live in...

That's pretty damn impressive. Last year it took them 3 months to get to market, this year they just made everyone look like they're standing still....
    03-02-11 02:13 PM
    I guess we will have to see if it is a permanent move to keep the ipad 1 on sale like they do with the new iphones or if this is simply to clear out stock before a complete switch-over to the new model like they have with new ipods, in the uk all the models have been reduced so clearing stock doesn't seem that unlikely.

If you look at the additions in the ipad 2, unless you had a particular need for the cameras then the ipad 1 would also hurt sales of the ipad 2 and not just those from rival companies.
    A lot of people were on the verge of buying the iPad but waiting for the iPad2 - with a price break it may push some people to buying an iPad - with the announcement it may have them waiting for a new product...either way - Apple just covered all their bases to ensure people wanting to buy Apple will end up buying Apple and not the competition

If we take off the fanboy googles and cap for just a moment, I don't see how no one can look at RIM or any of the others guys now and NOT SAY, "WTF?!"

Apple just announced the product and it will be in stores for you to purchase in than 15 or 25 days, depending on what country you live in...

That's pretty damn impressive. Last year it took them 3 months to get to market, this year they just made everyone look like they're standing still....
    YEP! WTF RIM!?

PS I think your math is a bit off
    03-02-11 02:15 PM
    Tablets yes, smartphones no. They were late enough to the smartphone game to be able to leverage off every device that preceded theirs. They were quite successful at convincing people who have excess time and money that they need to be connected to the internet every waking moment of their day though!

03-02-11 02:20 PM
    Tablets yes, smartphones no. They were late enough to the smartphone game to be able to leverage off every device that preceded theirs. They were quite successful at convincing people who have excess time and money that they need to be connected to the internet every waking moment of their day though!

every SMARTphone today takes its cues from the iphone. apple did take their cues from the existing market at that time but they introduced the device that change the game forever since then
    03-02-11 02:23 PM
    YEP! WTF RIM!?

PS I think your math is a bit off
    What math??

Today is March 2

iPad 2 comes out in the USA on March 11th (9 days away)

iPad 2 comes out in Canada on March 25th (23 days away)

Am I wrong?
    03-02-11 02:27 PM
    What math??

Today is March 2

Am I wrong?
    you have 15 days in the other post
    03-02-11 02:32 PM
    What math??

Today is March 2

Am I wrong?
    your post said 15/25 i think you meant to write in LESS, but left it out...hehe
    03-02-11 02:40 PM
    Tablets yes, smartphones no. They were late enough to the smartphone game to be able to leverage off every device that preceded theirs.

They were late compared to RIM, Palm and Windows BUT they currently set the standard of today. It doesn't matter that they weren't first the changed the market and it's very hard to argue that. No other smart phone had that type of impact. They helped mature a market that now appeals to the masses. Blackberry, RIM, and Palm circa 2005 would not have been able to do this. If so, it would have happened before Apple.
    03-02-11 02:43 PM
    I'd go out on a limb and say Apple will sell more original iPads than the playbook with the price drop. Do different than the usual 100 drop when the new iPhone hits and they still sell a boat load because consumers care more about price than specs.
    03-02-11 02:49 PM
    I'd go out on a limb and say Apple will sell more original iPads than the playbook with the price drop. Do different than the usual 100 drop when the new iPhone hits and they still sell a boat load because consumers care more about price than specs.
    Then again - RIM hasn't released a price and they've come out and said it'd be competitive...if it's competitive with the iPad2 then yea, OK...but if they can compete at the $399 price point (hahaha, I know) they've got a shot...
    03-02-11 03:14 PM
106 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD