10-02-13 02:09 PM
47 12
tools
    Apple on Monday announced it sold 9 million of the new iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C models since the went on sales Friday -- a record opening weekend for the iPhone.

That's nearly double the 5 million iPhones that Apple sold during the first three days that the iPhone 5 was on sale last year, and sales were well above Wall Street analysts' expectations. Shares of Apple (AAPL, Fortune 500) rose 6% Monday morning.

But this year's stellar opening weekend for Apple comes with two sizable caveats: Apple included China in the iPhone 5S and 5C launches. Last year, China didn't get the new iPhone 5 until December. Apple also launched two new iPhones this year, heavily marketing the colorful iPhone 5C. In 2012, Apple only unveiled one new kind of iPhone.

The iPhone 5S, which comes in gold, silver or space gray, is available in the United States for a suggested retail price of between $199 to $399. The iPhone 5C, which comes in blue, green, pink, yellow and white, is available for between $99 to $199.

Still, the news was very good for a company that has been living under a microscope lately, scrutinized for launching new devices with only incremental updates. Apple said this weekend's heavy demand caused it to exhaust its initial supply of the iPhone 5S.

As a result, Apple said it expects its quarterly sales to come in at the high end of its estimated range of $34 billion to $37 billion. The company also said it expects gross profit margins will be on the higher end of its guidance.

Related: New iPhones draw lines around the world

The new flagship iPhone 5S is similar in appearance to last year's iPhone 5, but it's twice as fast thanks to Apple's new A7 chip. It also has a beefed-up camera includes slow-motion video and a camera "burst mode" that shoots 10 frames per second. The 5C features a polycarbonate shell, instead of the glass-and-aluminum body of the previous iPhone 5S. Its guts includes a slower Apple's A6 chip and an 8-megapixel camera, like the iPhone 5.

The company also said more than 200 million Apple devices are now running the completely redesigned iOS 7 operating system which comes preloaded on the new iPhone, making it the fastest software upgrade in the company's history.

Apple sells record 9 million iPhones in opening weekend - Sep. 23, 2013

Blackberry could not sell that many devices in 2 years (sad)
    09-23-13 09:49 AM
    Honestly I thought it would be more, with two phones an all...

Posted via CB10
    09-23-13 09:51 AM
    Apple's slow decline has been cancelled.
    Eric Ton, rdgroulx and techvisor like this.
    09-23-13 09:51 AM
    Where's that guy who predicted that BB10 would outsell iPhone within 12 months?
    09-23-13 09:53 AM
    Apple's slow decline has been cancelled.
    I wouldnt say that. Its not about sales, its about Q to Q growth.

Posted via CB10
    09-23-13 09:58 AM

Posted via CB10
    YoY growth is a much better indicator for the smartphone market or just about anything that relies on seasonal sales. Q to Q growth was just an excuse that some folks attempted to use for Blackberry, that utterly made their argument even weaker.
    09-23-13 10:01 AM

Posted via CB10
    Good point, though first weekend growth is 80% year over year (5 million to 9 million). To its credit, BBRY also had 80% growth, though unfortunately it's in unsold inventory.
    jh07, xandermac and cwalt2166 like this.
    09-23-13 10:01 AM

Posted via CB10
    No, you should look at Y2Y. Q2Q is too subject to seasonal fluctuation, which is particular evident in the regular spiking of many of Apple's lines.

ETA: mikeo000 beat me to it.
    09-23-13 10:03 AM
    YoY growth is a much better indicator for the smartphone market or just about anything that relies on seasonal sales. Q to Q growth was just an excuse that some folks attempted to use for Blackberry, that utterly made their argument even weaker.
    Yeah fair, But apples growth is stagnating...and their vertical business lines that spur their stock price is the Iphone and ipad, the macbooks arent what drives their stock.....the iphone and ipad growth is waning. im sure you've seen the numbers....obviously impressive sales individually, but the growth has slowed.

Posted via CB10
    09-23-13 10:04 AM
    Yeah fair, But apples growth is stagnating...and their vertical business lines that spur their stock price is the Iphone and ipad, the macbooks arent what drives their stock.....the iphone and ipad growth is waning. im sure you've seen the numbers....obviously impressive sales individually, but the growth has slowed.

Posted via CB10
    The entire market has slowed. And to be honest, I haven't paid attention to stock prices as they are usually no reflection on the actual product (as many users here will tell you with relation to BlackBerry's stock price.) My enjoyment of any specific product has no relation to how the parent company is performing on Wall Street.
    techvisor and Elite1 like this.
    09-23-13 10:09 AM
    I just looked it up and the iPhone 4 sold 1.7 million units in the first 3 days, the iPhone 4S sold 4 million in 3 days, the iPhone 5 sold 5 million in 3 days, and now iPhone 5s/iPhone 5c sell a combined 9 million in 3 days. That's absolutely insane.
    It is interesting to parallel BBRY to Apple. iOS 7, in its current state, has a number of glaring security vulnerabilities, but I don't see any major news sources reporting on this and they are moving tons of units. Someone farts in Waterloo at the BBRY HQ and its front page news and people are throwing their Blackberries into a fire.
    It is interesting to parallel BBRY to Apple. iOS 7, in its current state, has a number of glaring security vulnerabilities, but I don't see any major news sources reporting on this and they are moving tons of units. Someone farts in Waterloo at the BBRY HQ and its front page news and people are throwing their Blackberries into a fire.
    You're kidding me right? NOTHING BBRY does gets front page news. Page 2 of the financial section at best.
    09-23-13 10:10 AM
    Someone farts in Waterloo at the BBRY HQ and its front page news and people are throwing their Blackberries into a fire.
    Obviously, since that would be their most successful product release since the Torch.
    09-23-13 10:22 AM
    Most people don't care about security. Many iOS and Android users don't even bother using passcodes, so those people aren't going to care about "security vulnerabilities."
    09-23-13 10:24 AM

Posted via CB10
    Move the goal posts all you want, Sales is the only metric that counts.
    09-23-13 10:40 AM
    Banned
    09-23-13 10:43 AM
    I wish BlackBerry could execute like Apple.

If the iphone had a bigger screen, and a better email platform, i would likely switch gears.

i have been one of the most loyal fans but sadly the BBM being botched was the final straw. In addition, BlackBerry buying a new corporate jet while firing thousands is unreal.

I think the ship is almost sunk. The only saving grace is if another company like lenovo or MS buys them out and changes everything including the management, the culture and the way in which they execute.

Posted via CB10
    nuff_said and xandermac like this.
    09-23-13 10:46 AM
    I wish BlackBerry could execute like Apple.

If the iphone had a bigger screen, and a better email platform, i would likely switch gears.

i have been one of the most loyal fans but sadly the BBM being botched was the final straw. In addition, BlackBerry buying a new corporate jet while firing thousands is unreal.

I think the ship is almost sunk. The only saving grace is if another company like lenovo or MS buys them out and changes everything including the management, the culture and the way in which they execute.

Posted via CB10
    BBRY would be fine if it could just execute like it once did. What it is currently is not what it has been historically.
    Elite1 and The Aficionado like this.
    09-23-13 10:48 AM
    Steve Jobs: "The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated" - The Next Web

What he created lives on with his legacy and imprint on Apple's culture.
    09-23-13 10:56 AM
    HAHAHAHAHAH....HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....OHHAHAHAHA HAHAAHAHAH......BOOOOOOO-YAAAAAAAA! (and *ouch" my BB arse hurts)
    09-23-13 11:47 AM

Posted via CB10
    3 million a DAY, 9 million in 3 and you think growth as slowed???? Really? They beat BB sales figures in 3 days. There's stuff you can defend, and then there's BB sales vs Apple. The stock was on a bubble a few years ago but this company is nowhere near it's top.

Look at those sales figures and then think what the stock will do when they announce a new gadget (iTV or iWatch or iShiznit) and watch the stock skyrocket 20%+. People are emotional and people have come to expect miracles from Appple; they may have lost faith now but a single big announcement will send the stock back to 800$+. Keep this post in your inbox, get back to me later when they do.
    09-23-13 11:52 AM
    Are you kidding? That is all I see on the news, iOS and its security flaws.
    Poirots Progeny likes this.
    09-23-13 12:01 PM
    Well there seems to be 9 million fools with their money... I'll keep my q10 and z10 thanks
    09-23-13 12:13 PM
    The expansion on to the big carriers in China and Japan was sure to help them out do the 5.
    09-23-13 09:10 PM
47 12