With Apple's Siri, a Romance Gone Sour - NYTimes.com

Late last summer, I was introduced to a new special someone. I wasnt looking to meet this new muse; it all just kind of happened.

We met at an Apple product announcement in Cupertino, Calif. She was helpful, smart and even funny, cracking sarcastic jokes and making me laugh. What more could a guy ask for?

Since then, we have had some major communication issues. She frequently misunderstands what Im saying. Sometimes she is just unavailable. Often, she responds with the same, repetitive statement.

Her name is Siri.

At first, Siri, the voice-activated digital assistant on Apple iPhones, seemed a little too good to be true. Siri lured me into a relationship promising to help me set up appointments, to gently wake me in the morning for work, and to give me the ability to text someone while I was driving.

It didnt work out that way. Theres something wrong, and I cant answer your questions right now. Please try again in a little while, Siri will say when I ask something. Or: Im really sorry about this, but I cant take any requests right now. Please try again in a little while.

She is always polite. But Im starting to suspect that Im really sorry is just something Siri says to shut me up.

Apple introduced Siri as a beta test, meaning it was still a work in progress. That was unusual for Apple, but the company was counting on it to change the way people searched for information on mobile devices. It wanted a head start. But it doesnt seem ready to change anything yet. Many people I have spoken to have switched Siri off and reverted to the iPhones voice dictation service (the little microphone next to the keyboard), which is more reliable because it doesnt use Siris artificial intelligence software.

Those who have left it have done that for good reason. Gene Munster, a securities analyst at Piper Jaffray, recently ran a series of tests with Siri and discovered that this is a significant problem for Apple.

Mr. Munster subjected Siri to over 1,600 voice tests, half in a quiet room and half on a busy Minneapolis street. In the quiet room, Siri understood requests 89 percent of the time, but she was able to accurately answer a question only 68 percent of the time. On a busy street, Siri could comprehend what people were saying 83 percent of the time, but answer a question correctly only 62 percent of the time.

It could hear well enough. The problem in his analysis was that the software was not good enough to understand questions. Mr. Munster gave Siri a grade D and said it needed to sharply improve in order to be an alternative method of mobile search.

Over time, things have really soured between Siri and me. We barely speak anymore. And, although she doesnt know this, Ive started seeing someone else. Her name, although not as mysterious or sexy, is Google Voice Search.

Google Voice Search, available in the latest operating software for Android phones, is a much better listener. Its definitely smarter. If I ask Google Voice Search a question, like, Who is Tim Cook? it responds with an answer. (Hes the chief executive of Apple.) If I ask Siri the same question, the response is: I dont see Tim Cook in your contacts.

Side-by-side comparisons, in videos posted on YouTube, give the upstart from Google the advantage. Apple used Siri as a primary selling point for its new iPhone, and now Apple is losing its advantage. At the D: All Things Digital conference in May, Mr. Cook was asked about Siris mistakes. We have a lot of people working on this, he told the audience.

Youll be really pleased with some of the things that youll see over the coming months, he promised.

Trudy Muller, an Apple spokeswoman, said, Siri is currently in beta, and we are continuing to improve it. She also said, Siri is one of the most popular features of iPhone 4S and customers love it.

Shes apparently not wrong about that. John Barrett, director of consumer analytics at the Parks Associates research firm, recently surveyed 482 iPhone owners. Although there were some mild frustrations, most people really like the service, Mr. Barrett said. Of those surveyed, he said, 55 percent gave Siri a high rating, 21 percent said it was quite satisfactory, and only 10 percent were completely dissatisfied.

The question will be whether those who find Siri frustrating will toss the iPhone aside and embrace Android.

I still find it disappointing, and last week I had what will probably be my last conversation with Siri for a while.

Siri. I think its time for us to take a break, I told her.

Hmm Let me think. one second, Siri said in response, adding a few moments later, I dont know what you mean by I think its time for us to take a break.
    lynxs_claw likes this.
    07-16-12 07:32 PM
    *shrugs* Some people like Siri, some people hate it...It's cool for looking up restaurants, weather, reading text messages (while driving) etc etc....I'm looking forward to the improvements that are being made...

Sent from my New iPad using Tapatalk
    07-16-12 07:44 PM
    Most apple users I know gave up on siri. Some like it though. I've personally never been a big voice command apps fan.
    07-16-12 07:47 PM
    I really think if I get the next iphone I'm only gonna really use it on rare occasions. With the amount of data it takes up, not gonna be worth it to me once I lose my unlimited plan.
    07-17-12 07:43 AM
    Supposedly, in iOS6, Apple have figured out the background noise problems that the phone has. I'm guessing it's merely a filter algorithm but we shall see.
    07-17-12 08:45 AM
    I gave up on Siri when she could not understand my accent and repeatedly told me that she couldn't help me unless I spoke American English.
    07-17-12 12:09 PM
    With the amount of data it takes up, not gonna be worth it to me once I lose my unlimited plan.
    While individual data use for Siri will clearly vary based on personal use, Ars Technica found that if you use Siri 2-3 times/day at an overall average of 63KB per instance, you will use 3.7 to 5.5MB of data per month. 4-6 times/day will total 7.4 to 11MB of data use per month. 10-15 times/day will total 18.5 to 27.7MB per month.
    Source

If you use Siri 2-3 times per day at an average of 63KB per instance, you might expect to use 126KB to 189KB per day, or 3.7 to 5.5MB per month. For 4-6 times a day, that might come out to 252KB to 378KB per day, or 7.4 to 11MB per month. If you use it 10-15 times per day, you might end up using 630KB to 945KB per day, or 18.5 to 27.7MB per month.
    Source

Doesn't seem like that much for me. Unless you're a lonely person with no friends and you talk to Siri all the time for comfort, you won't be blazing through data. I use Siri quite often to dictate texts, set reminders and set alarms and stuff and it doesn't put a dent in my data.
    07-17-12 12:32 PM
    Source

Source

Doesn't seem like that much for me. Unless you're a lonely person with no friends and you talk to Siri all the time for comfort, you won't be blazing through data. I use Siri quite often to dictate texts, set reminders and set alarms and stuff and it doesn't put a dent in my data.
    lol. I thought I read somewhere that 4s users used almost twice as much as 4 users, and the only thing that's really much different is Siri, data wise.

Wait, now I remember those articles. Yep, you are right. They concluded that 4s users just used it more.
    07-17-12 02:14 PM
    With Apple's Siri, a Romance Gone Sour - NYTimes.com

Late last summer, I was introduced to a new special someone. I wasnt looking to meet this new muse; it all just kind of happened.

We met at an Apple product announcement in Cupertino, Calif. She was helpful, smart and even funny, cracking sarcastic jokes and making me laugh. What more could a guy ask for?

Since then, we have had some major communication issues. She frequently misunderstands what Im saying. Sometimes she is just unavailable. Often, she responds with the same, repetitive statement.

Her name is Siri.

At first, Siri, the voice-activated digital assistant on Apple iPhones, seemed a little too good to be true. Siri lured me into a relationship promising to help me set up appointments, to gently wake me in the morning for work, and to give me the ability to text someone while I was driving.

It didnt work out that way. Theres something wrong, and I cant answer your questions right now. Please try again in a little while, Siri will say when I ask something. Or: Im really sorry about this, but I cant take any requests right now. Please try again in a little while.

She is always polite. But Im starting to suspect that Im really sorry is just something Siri says to shut me up.

Apple introduced Siri as a beta test, meaning it was still a work in progress. That was unusual for Apple, but the company was counting on it to change the way people searched for information on mobile devices. It wanted a head start. But it doesnt seem ready to change anything yet. Many people I have spoken to have switched Siri off and reverted to the iPhones voice dictation service (the little microphone next to the keyboard), which is more reliable because it doesnt use Siris artificial intelligence software.

Those who have left it have done that for good reason. Gene Munster, a securities analyst at Piper Jaffray, recently ran a series of tests with Siri and discovered that this is a significant problem for Apple.

Mr. Munster subjected Siri to over 1,600 voice tests, half in a quiet room and half on a busy Minneapolis street. In the quiet room, Siri understood requests 89 percent of the time, but she was able to accurately answer a question only 68 percent of the time. On a busy street, Siri could comprehend what people were saying 83 percent of the time, but answer a question correctly only 62 percent of the time.

It could hear well enough. The problem in his analysis was that the software was not good enough to understand questions. Mr. Munster gave Siri a grade D and said it needed to sharply improve in order to be an alternative method of mobile search.

Over time, things have really soured between Siri and me. We barely speak anymore. And, although she doesnt know this, Ive started seeing someone else. Her name, although not as mysterious or sexy, is Google Voice Search.

Google Voice Search, available in the latest operating software for Android phones, is a much better listener. Its definitely smarter. If I ask Google Voice Search a question, like, Who is Tim Cook? it responds with an answer. (Hes the chief executive of Apple.) If I ask Siri the same question, the response is: I dont see Tim Cook in your contacts.

Side-by-side comparisons, in videos posted on YouTube, give the upstart from Google the advantage. Apple used Siri as a primary selling point for its new iPhone, and now Apple is losing its advantage. At the D: All Things Digital conference in May, Mr. Cook was asked about Siris mistakes. We have a lot of people working on this, he told the audience.

Youll be really pleased with some of the things that youll see over the coming months, he promised.

Trudy Muller, an Apple spokeswoman, said, Siri is currently in beta, and we are continuing to improve it. She also said, Siri is one of the most popular features of iPhone 4S and customers love it.

Shes apparently not wrong about that. John Barrett, director of consumer analytics at the Parks Associates research firm, recently surveyed 482 iPhone owners. Although there were some mild frustrations, most people really like the service, Mr. Barrett said. Of those surveyed, he said, 55 percent gave Siri a high rating, 21 percent said it was quite satisfactory, and only 10 percent were completely dissatisfied.

The question will be whether those who find Siri frustrating will toss the iPhone aside and embrace Android.

I still find it disappointing, and last week I had what will probably be my last conversation with Siri for a while.

Siri. I think its time for us to take a break, I told her.

Hmm Let me think. one second, Siri said in response, adding a few moments later, I dont know what you mean by I think its time for us to take a break.
    The reason I am here reading this thread, is because a friend phoned me today to rave about siri. I always like to read abouut things first. Not a good review
    07-18-12 01:23 AM
    The reason I am here reading this thread, is because a friend phoned me today to rave about siri. I always like to read abouut things first. Not a good review
    Some people like her, others hate her. Nothing new.
    07-18-12 09:49 AM
    I use the highest quality noise cancelling bluetooth headset on the market. Its the Blue Parrot over the head mic boom model B-250. Its bulky and clumsy but this thing works fantastic for industrial/ commercial noise cancelling. I'm going to test it with siri and see how it goes.
    07-19-12 04:03 AM
    I never had a problem when I used Siri, but Google Now works much better IMO.
    07-19-12 11:59 AM
    Don't use Siri much but my kids love to chat with her
    08-17-12 04:39 PM
    I never had a problem when I used Siri, but Google Now works much better IMO.
    Google Now?

not familiar with that app...
    08-22-12 07:02 PM
    I gave up on Siri when she could not understand my accent and repeatedly told me that she couldn't help me unless I spoke American English.
    Hahahahahahahaha!!
    08-22-12 08:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD