CBS ran an article titled : "Swiping iPhone 6 May Soon Replace Credit Cards, Cash" . I am unable to post the link here since i have less than 10 posts. Anyway, the crux of the article was how Apple pay would end up replacing cash and credit cards.

Atleast in US, every note has this printed :

"This note is legal tender for all debts public and private" .

If a business refuses cash ( which probably may never happen ) , my understanding is take what ever you would have bought for free and walk out. The reason being a legal tender was refused. Does it matter to me as a consumer as to what forms of payment a business takes in ?
    I can understand the refusal of a business not accepting credit cards, and Apple Pay or PayPal etc, but can not fathom any business in the right mind will refuse cash.
    09-11-14 04:20 AM
    it will be a long time before cash disappears
    09-11-14 05:40 AM
    Here's a little help from the Federal Reserve:

Is it legal for a business in the United States to refuse cash as a form of payment?
    Section 31 U.S.C. 5103, entitled "Legal tender," states: "United States coins and currency [including Federal reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal reserve banks and national banks] are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues."

This statute means that all United States money as identified above is a valid and legal offer of payment for debts when tendered to a creditor. There is, however, no Federal statute mandating that a private business, a person, or an organization must accept currency or coins as payment for goods or services. Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether to accept cash unless there is a state law which says otherwise.
    09-11-14 06:45 AM