Apple's implementation is SIM and carrier agnostic.
    SIM and carrier agnostic, Apple exclusive. And as I've stated numerous times before; Android phones that have both NFC and the secure element chip have been able to use Google Wallet independent of carriers and SIM, but in this regard Google's implementation is no better than Apple's since it's locked into a specific platform.

Wake me up when NFC payments are capable of being used on any carrier, bank and device platform without all the hot air from everyone having their own proprietary system in place.

Posted via CB10
    mhg0157 and Tkarps like this.
    09-19-14 06:21 PM
    Wake me up when NFC payments are capable of being used on any carrier, bank and device platform without all the hot air from everyone having their own proprietary system in place.
    I hope you enjoy hibernating.

Carrier agnostic NFC payment services are definitely happening. I think the banks signing on will still be a necessity for the foreseeable future, but hopefully that becomes streamlined and all of the major banks get on board. A secure, cross-platform NFC payment standard under one cohesive, open service though... that may take some time. I'm sure PayPal, Amazon, Square and many others would love to be the orchestrator of that, but it seems like it won't happen anytime soon. Good luck getting Apple to open up to third-party competitors to Apple Pay anytime this decade. For the time being, it's every platform for itself.
    09-19-14 08:17 PM
    Let's face it, Apple has that area handled.
    Look at all those email banks sending out, supporting the Apple Pay implementation BEFORE the iPhone hits the market. How many of those emails have you seen catering to BlackBerry NFC, or any other platform for that matter? None!

So say what you want about Apple, but their stuffs just works. They work brilliantly too.

Keep hating on the Jesus phone lol

Posted via CB10
    I ran into two women yesterday with buggy iphones. One a five, the other a really pristine 4s. Both wearing doing the usually spin of death. One woman was trying to make a call while the phone wasn't going crazy. Her spin of death was intermediate. The other was waiting for full death.

Yeah, iphone, great stuff.

When I asked what they planned on doing, the both are getting the iphone 6.

Yep, it is a church.

Posted via CB10
    09-20-14 11:37 AM
    I ran into two women yesterday with buggy iphones. One a five, the other a really pristine 4s. Both wearing doing the usually spin of death. One woman was trying to make a call while the phone wasn't going crazy. Her spin of death was intermediate. The other was waiting for full death.

Yeah, iphone, great stuff.

When I asked what they planned on doing, the both are getting the iphone 6.

Yep, it is a church.

Posted via CB10
    How is that any different than a diehard BlackBerry Joe downloads an xyz app from BlackBerry world or Amazon, and it now messes up the phone - keeps rebooting, horrible battery etc. Then when ask if he'd buy another BlackBerry, he says yes. Do you even know what OS they are running? Did they try resetting?

It's easy to bash another competitor, especially it's one that's been doing so well.

Posted via CB10
    Coachbulldog likes this.
    09-20-14 05:33 PM
    But as it stands at the moment my Q10 is unable to make nfc payments in the UK because there is no wallet app or Paypal or anything so what's so great about that?

Posted via CB10
    09-21-14 12:45 PM
    But as it stands at the moment my Q10 is unable to make nfc payments in the UK because there is no wallet app or Paypal or anything so what's so great about that?

Posted via CB10
    Any new iPhone won't be able to anyway..

NFC banking is coming to UK via a totally different, platform agnostic system

Posted via CB10
    09-21-14 01:00 PM
    Any new iPhone won't be able to anyway..

NFC banking is coming to UK via a totally different, platform agnostic system
    Are you referring to Zapp? It will be interesting when more details are released.
    In the meantime, Apple is apparently working with partners, including Visa, to bring Apple Pay to Europe in 2015. Do you think regulators in the UK will force Apple to allow Zapp's app access to iPhone NFC chips? If they try, I could see that potentially dragging out for a few years before it happens.
    09-21-14 01:59 PM
    So Apple Pay only needs NFC communicate with standard credit-card transaction hardware found in most retail outlets, right? How bout restaurants and coffee shops that use those iPad-based Square payment processors? Presumably, Apple Pay should be able send it transaction info via AirDrop or QR codes or something.
    09-21-14 03:24 PM
    How is that any different than a diehard BlackBerry Joe downloads an xyz app from BlackBerry world or Amazon, and it now messes up the phone - keeps rebooting, horrible battery etc. Then when ask if he'd buy another BlackBerry, he says yes. Do you even know what OS they are running? Did they try resetting?

It's easy to bash another competitor, especially it's one that's been doing so well.

Posted via CB10
    Uh, who has those problems?

Posted via CB10
    09-21-14 08:50 PM

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    Lol you think bb10 is flawless. I don't know if I should call you blind or ignorant. Go to any BlackBerry forum, be it Z10 or whatnot, plenty of problems being posted everyday. Ask any of them if they'd buy BlackBerry again I can assure you will get plenty of yes.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-14 09:49 PM
    Lol you think bb10 is flawless. I don't know if I should call you blind or ignorant. Go to any BlackBerry forum, be it Z10 or whatnot, plenty of problems being posted everyday. Ask any of them if they'd buy BlackBerry again I can assure you will get plenty of yes.

Posted via CB10
    Gee, if only I was a regular reader of Crackberry. Oh wait, I am. ;-)

Posted via CB10
    09-22-14 08:52 AM
    The only specific terminal you need is an NFC compatible one. For someone to use Apple Pay you will need iPhone 6, your CC Company and Affiliated Bank to have a deal in place with Apple. Then you can use Apple Pay at any Merchant that has NFC terminal and excepts that CC..

Nexus 5
    Of course it has to be NFC compatible to use NFC. There are plenty of legacy terminals all over the place that don't have NFC in the US. I was just at Sam's Club yesterday. No NFC on theirs. There are plenty of gaps.
    09-23-14 12:18 AM
    Keep up, they are taking a cut of the transaction fee.
    I'm highly doubtful that Apple agreed to take on the risk & insure the transaction. Or insure anything. By doing so aren't they financial insurance company now open to regulation? Apple wouldn't play nice to regulators. This doesn't seem true. Yes they're taking a cut - but I'm highly doubtful they'd expose themselves to liability (like an insurance company) and the regulations that follow.

Please explain.
    09-24-14 12:34 AM
    Banks are paying Apple a cut of every transaction coming over Apple Pay. That is how it works.

If this works, Apple will make a lot of money from this.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

But from what was commented earlier - someone said that this 'fee' is not really a fee giving to Apple. Apple is actually insuring/guaranteeing transactions over their phone for loses from un-authorized transactions. Is this true?

This seems highly highly dubious to me because by doing so Apple is becoming an financial insurance company and more importantly they open themselves to financial regulations.

Apple is a company that stays far away from regulations because they would never play nice with their regulator.

Please advise?

Thanks,

Logan.
    09-24-14 12:45 AM
    It was an interesting and fun year.

I love what they did with the whole program, and the phone itself is really fantastic. I also look forward to the Passport, and I'm sure I'll enjoy that, too. I can't understand why one side or the other has to be the enemy.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I'm not sure it will be so popular with retail merchants though. The current list is pretty abysmal and looks like CMX network is pretty large (Walmart, Best Buy, CVS, Southwest, etc...). The retailer is the last step that still does not have a solution/benefit from Apple Pay.
    Last edited by tempdownloads; 09-24-14 at 01:03 AM.
    09-24-14 12:49 AM
    Are you sure about that? There are vending machines in NY with NFC. This week alone I've made tap purchases at CVS, grocery stores, Subway and McDonalds. MasterCard lists 100 active tap terminals in downtown Philly.

CVS is part of MCX. And they said they won't support Apple Pay? So are you saying MCX is non-exclusive? IE: a member of MCX can still support EMV over NFC (Apple Pay)?
    09-24-14 12:52 AM
    Hey, pal, ever heard of PayPal? They use a very, very similar system. With PayPal, you chose what card you would like the charges applied to. Any card, not just the ones that have agreed to give Apple a cut of their revenue. If fact, it was pretty funny seeing the Apple video of the use of Apple Pay at a Point-Of-Sale terminal like the one that has been in use at, say, Walgreen's, for several years. Apple hasn't done anything that several other companies haven't been doing for the past several years. It's isn't anything new, just that Apple has such a larger user base than anyone else.

I really hope you don't use your PayPal account like a bank account. That would be HIGHLY inadvisable financially. Not because of Apple Pay or MCX or Google Wallet or anything. The problem is with PayPal itself. You do know that they're not FDIC insured or regulated like a financial institution for your protection right?
    09-24-14 12:57 AM
    The POS terminal can't return the transaction data to the phone. It's not physically possible.

Then on the other side of the terminal, the transaction is not processed through Apple. It goes directly through Visa and MasterCard, and the banks and normal processors.

This is why banks are willing to pay for this service. If Apple were part of the process, banks would not have agreed to the fees.

Yes that is exactly what I've heard too. That banks are paying Apple basically to keep them out of the transaction (and keep them from the data). Apple is not is insuring or covering the risk. The issuing banks will be like always.
    09-24-14 01:10 AM
    That's funny.

But seriously, this system eliminates a major risk that you have with normal credit cards.

In Apple Pay, the merchant has no idea what your credit card number is. So they can't lose it the way Target and other have lost other customers' card info.

It also reduces a very significant skimming problem in Isis and Google Wallet.

And that's precisely one of Apple Pay's stumbling block. Retailers need this to build profiles & offer discounts to their customers. This is the one area where Apple Pay does not provide any benefit and actually acts against their business model/needs.

In order for Apple Pay to succeed at the POS, Apple needs to provide a solution for retailers but that would require them to 'see' transactional data.
    09-24-14 01:15 AM
    Merchants have a significant interest in getting rid of cash. First, there is the cost of physically handling the cash: bank deposits/withdrawls; security; shrinkage; counterfeit risk,etc. Anyone who has ever worked in retail knows this. Credit cards will soon carry significantly more risk for the merchant due to some rule changes.

So, none of should be surprised if and when these types of transactions not only become more common but increasingly mandatory. So far, nobody has been successful at bringing the consumer along in a significant way. If Apple can make it easy for the consumer then 40 million iPhone 6's deployed this holiday season should be a good test.

I'll be sure to let you know in a week.
    Please keep us updated. But from the retailer merchants point of view, Apple Pay does not provide any benefit at all. In fact it actually hurts us. Retailers lose valuable consumer information to build profiles, offer discounts, etc... Apple did not address this at all.

This explains why the current list of retail merchants on Apple.com committed to supporting Apple Pay at the POS is so small.
    09-24-14 01:22 AM
    WOW.....just WOW......I think this thread needs to either get cleaned up or closed.
    Well the "cleaned up" part has happened now.

[WARN]NO MORE TALK ABOUT RELIGION AND/OR CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Apparently we have enough to debate on topic of smartphones without bringing religion and/or politics into it.
    So leave them out of it![/WARN]
    09-24-14 03:40 AM
    It's not about being the first it's about being the best

Posted via CB10
    09-24-14 06:05 AM
    Guess since the Passport has launched people have better things to do now than discussing that apple.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 07:48 AM
    Goto: Pay

Thank you, best contribution. All is said with two words.
    Should be framed !
    I can stop reading!

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 05:00 PM
    Thank you, best contribution. All is said with two words.
    Should be framed !
    I can stop reading!
    So you ignore the testing and work done on this program by American Express, Visa, MasterCard, Bank of America, Citibank, Chase, Wells Fargo and Capital One?

Do you think all of us who work for these major banks and payment networks are so careless?

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    mornhavon, early2bed and JeepBB like this.
    09-29-14 06:46 PM
616 ... 22232425