Wake up, jeffydude05! Walgreen's has had NFC payment capability for the past 3 years that I'm aware of. Get your facts straight!
    I never said they didn't? I was showing the tweet they put up...

A lot of places have had NFC for years, best buy had it for years but got rid of it because no body used it.
    09-12-14 10:59 PM
    We all know Apple's strength isn't really "inventing" new technologies. They have a knack for taking existing technologies and packaging them in a way that makes them friendly to the everyday consumer. If anything, I'm happy that Apple has finally adopted NFC. It's great that BlackBerry and some of the Android OEMs can say that they've had NFC technology years ago...but to this day, it's hardly considered mainstream. If Apple can finally give it a big enough push into our daily lives, then it's a win for everyone...regardless of who's smartphones you prefer.
    09-12-14 11:02 PM
    It's like doing something new or with something new to renew, refresh the sex life for a long married couple. The difference is NFC payment has only been 3 years old.
    09-12-14 11:04 PM
    We all know Apple's strength isn't really "inventing" new technologies. They have a knack for taking existing technologies and packaging them in a way that makes them friendly to the everyday consumer. If anything, I'm happy that Apple has finally adopted NFC. It's great that BlackBerry and some of the Android OEMs can say that they've had NFC technology years ago...but to this day, it's hardly considered mainstream. If Apple can finally give it a big enough push into our daily lives, then it's a win for everyone...regardless of who's smartphones you prefer.
    People don't get it, it's not who does it first....it's who does it the best.
    09-12-14 11:05 PM
    I prefer good old cash.

Posted via CB10
    walt63, Tkarps and Playbook007 like this.
    09-12-14 11:24 PM
    What facts? I see very little in terms of facts except for bluff and bluster from apparently clairvoyant isheep who think iPay will start some NFC revolution across the country.
    Yet another popular and oh-so-intellectual tactic.

What is it about NFC that completely derails any ability to comprehend the point? It's not about NFC in and of itself! My comment on facts refers to articles about how Apple Pay works.

My comment on NFC is an opinion. I, at least, understand the difference.

I live in PA and travel across the state and have yet to run into a single NFC capable payment receptacle in any gas station, department store, etc. Just because Apple all of a sudden has NFC does not mean some mass acceptance of this technology. Most of the people who buy iphones have no idea what NFC means or what it can do.
    You checked all of them, I gather? Excellent data analysis.

Apple users to date have had no need to. If you have paid any attention to the banks' actions today, though, and know anything about Apple Stores I bet that will change fast in the months leading up to Oct 2015. Like it or not, Apple does have considerable influence in consumer tech.

And I absolutely expect Android and BB users will be up there too. Because the banks and card issuers like the idea.
    09-13-14 12:12 AM
    You guys who are focusing on the technology are missing the point. What Apple brings are the financial partners, retailers, and a ton of customers
    The number of credit cards on Apple's servers is estimated between 800 million to a billion. That is staggering.
    09-13-14 12:20 AM
    So much chatter and arguing over one small feature of what NFC can do. Apple has finally got on board which gives it mass exposure which is a good thing, they didn't create it. I am not that interested in paying fees for purchases under $100, I use cash for that.... and already have a mobile wallet... it's called a wallet.

Z30 144GB
    09-13-14 12:26 AM
    So much chatter and arguing over one small feature of what NFC can do. Apple has finally got on board which gives it mass exposure which is a good thing, they didn't create it. I am not that interested in paying fees for purchases under $100, I use cash for that.... and already have a mobile wallet... it's called a wallet.

Z30 144GB
    Yes, wallet, with a tap and go card

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk
    09-13-14 12:31 AM
    was using my cibc mobile payment app since day 1 on my Z10. gets compliments left and right.
    Playbook007 likes this.
    09-13-14 12:33 AM
    Yes, wallet, with a tap and go card

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk
    You probably already know, but for those that don't...here's a few other uses for NFC , on BlackBerry go to Smart Tags, create.....just buy some stickers and make your own.

Apple Pay:  I can't stop laughing-img_20140913_171217.png

Z30 144GB
    09-13-14 02:19 AM
    Apply Pay is free for end user, BlackBerry's NFC payment charges a percentage on every transaction. Which one is more attractive?
    wehttam and mornhavon like this.
    09-13-14 02:48 AM
    The CC info is at the payment processor which already has it as they do 100s of millions of transactions a day and are able to keep that payment chain now with tokens. Apple doesn't see the CC info transaction, neither does your phone, neither do you, neither does the merchant.
    Ok...keep telling yourself that. Just make sure you read every privacy policy update that Apple and your bank sends out.

They say this now so people can buy in to the concept, get millions on board. But sooner or later, the data possibility will be too good not to.

They may not do it now, but they eventually will.

Posted via CB10
    09-13-14 03:32 AM
    Apply Pay is free for end user, BlackBerry's NFC payment charges a percentage on every transaction. Which one is more attractive?
    Nothing is ever free, especially if it's from Apple.

Heck, FREEdom isn't even free.

Posted via CB10
    09-13-14 03:35 AM
    Ok...keep telling yourself that. Just make sure you read every privacy policy update that Apple and your bank sends out.

They say this now so people can buy in to the concept, get millions on board. But sooner or later, the data possibility will be too good not to.

Posted via CB10
    The Tin Foil hat works for me..

Nexus 5
    TGR1, mornhavon and techvisor like this.
    09-13-14 05:39 AM
    after the iCloud nudegate scandal and questions of concern regarding Apple security, they should have named the new pay service as ApplePray
    app_Developer likes this.
    09-13-14 05:53 AM
    The system that Apple is using is no different than the system anyone else uses. It's just that Apple brings numbers, not any improvement in technology.
    Then why did it take MC, Visa, and 5 large banks over a year to implement Apple Pay? Our bank alone had scores of people working ridiculous hours to implement this.

No different? Really? What did we do for all that time?
    09-13-14 06:26 AM

Posted via CB10
    The POS terminal can't return the transaction data to the phone. It's not physically possible.

Then on the other side of the terminal, the transaction is not processed through Apple. It goes directly through Visa and MasterCard, and the banks and normal processors.

This is why banks are willing to pay for this service. If Apple were part of the process, banks would not have agreed to the fees.
    TGR1, mornhavon and techvisor like this.
    09-13-14 06:37 AM
    after the iCloud nudegate scandal and questions of concern regarding Apple security, they should have named the new pay service as ApplePray
    That's funny.

But seriously, this system eliminates a major risk that you have with normal credit cards.

In Apple Pay, the merchant has no idea what your credit card number is. So they can't lose it the way Target and other have lost other customers' card info.

It also reduces a very significant skimming problem in Isis and Google Wallet.
    TGR1, web99 and techvisor like this.
    09-13-14 06:43 AM
    From what I've read, Apple Pay is supposedly more secure than existing tap-to-pay systems on other phones. Tokenization is used in Apple Pay but not competitors at the moment is my understanding. I thought people on CrackBerry really cared about security. Why all the Apple hate? I'm glad they are pushing this technology.

For all those that make fun of Apple because other companies have implemented NFC years ago, I know you'll make the same sarcastic remarks about BlackBerry Assistant, right? Other companies have done that same thing for years. I just can't remember which company started that trend...
    mornhavon likes this.
    09-13-14 06:43 AM
    Then why did it take MC, Visa, and 5 large banks over a year to implement Apple Pay? Our bank alone had scores of people working ridiculous hours to implement this.

No different? Really? What did we do for all that time?
    Someone who actually knows something about this topic chimes in with some useful info. How refreshing.

So, perhaps this isn't the same NFC method that some people here have been using for years but most people have never heard of. The banks are counting on replacing a lot of cash transactions - that's why they have made the investment in manpower and processes. Are they iSheep, too?
    09-13-14 06:51 AM
    Now, please understand that I am screamingly ignorant with respect to tech toys. Only recently I found out that Android has had a product similar to Apple Pay (Google wallet or Isis wallet, I think?) but I didn't know that Blackberry has had it built in their devices since 2011.

NFC Is the Not-So-New Kid on the Block | Inside BlackBerry

The things I learn in a day.
    neither apple invented smartphones, neither touch screen and neither ipad or ipod.....
    they improved on the technology such that their offerings revolutionise the whole industry and were much more adaptable by people.

3g technology was started in 2003 and till iphone come up which can utilise the true internet on the mobile device.... rest is history...
    same goes with app store... blackberry use to create custom built apps for companies till apple made a sdk in 2008 and offered app making to the public...

i still remember phones before iphone and after iphone...... such a huge difference... in the end consumers win.. now almost 60 percent of smartphone users dont need a laptop apart from business work.... thats the way they do things or u can say steve jobs way...

now apple pay... did u realised how easy they made it to work by touch id?? did blackberry or any android has this feature before??? google is a big company enough to take every payment gateway on board so dont say they did it by tie up with payment gateways....
    actually they systematically put touch id plans for the future...
    you dont need a cc number or pwd... neither merchant or apple is saving ur details... it is generating a code for every transaction.. but the major thing is how they implemented with touch id....

sorry guys i am a blackberry fan and do carry a q10 but lets give credit to where it belongs.... we had a trackpad since 2005-6 does we ever thought of touch id kinda thing before???
    samsung do makes awesome lcd displays.. and apple do innovate in their products,.... thats hurting but its true... blackberry have world proven security systems but after that there is not much to talk about...
    Aleij Barb likes this.
    09-13-14 06:54 AM

So, perhaps this isn't the same NFC method that some people here have been using for years but most people have never heard of.
    The actual NFC mechanics between the watch or phone and terminal happens the same way. That was so that it works with existing POS hardware.

Everything else is very different. The security of the provisioning process is much better. The integration with banks is much tighter and more powerful. Processing and authorization is much faster and more scalable than the older systems. All of that stuff is new and much more secure than before.

Eventually I think you'll see Google do something similar with the banks to improve Google Wallet and make it more successful. The problem there is that Google doesn't care about the fees, they want the data. Totally different business model.

So maybe this won't be Apple exclusive, but we can at least give Apple credit for moving the industry forward on this.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 09-13-14 at 07:07 AM.
    tabish4u, wehttam, TGR1 and 3 others like this.
    09-13-14 06:56 AM
    The actual NFC mechanics between the watch or phone and terminal happens the same way. That was so that it works with existing POS hardware.

Everything else is very different. The security of the provisioning process is much better. The integration with banks is much tighter and more powerful. Processing and authorization is much faster and more scalable than the older systems. All of that stuff is new and much more secure than before.

Eventually I think you'll see Google do something similar with the banks to improve Google Wallet and make it more successful. The problem there is that Google doesn't care about the fees, they want the data. Totally different business model.

So maybe this won't be Apple exclusive, but we can at least give Apple credit for moving the industry forward on this.

well said on that note ................................end of discussion lol im not an apple fan but apple has market share and when they decide to get on board the rest is history....yes NFC isnt new but how they are doing it is give them credit and who knows because of apple google wallet and the others might have some success as well....
    app_Developer likes this.
    09-13-14 07:23 AM
    The POS terminal can't return the transaction data to the phone. It's not physically possible.

Then on the other side of the terminal, the transaction is not processed through Apple. It goes directly through Visa and MasterCard, and the banks and normal processors.

This is why banks are willing to pay for this service. If Apple were part of the process, banks would not have agreed to the fees.
    You seem to know a lot about this. Could you please provide valid information or documentation on how this will work?

Your comment sounds legit but also hard to believe that neither the merchant, bank, or Apple will seize the opportunity here.

Posted via CB10
    09-13-14 07:25 AM
616 ... 45678 ...