Lmao at people defending by saying Apple is just copying what others have done for 3 years. Just like iPod to Walkman. You know those 3 years were so insignificant when majority of people were asking "what's NFC(payment)? ". In fact, the NFC in the BB10 phones are utterly USELESS when it comes to mobile payment in the US. Watch Apple take off with their implementation in less than a year that nobody can achieve in 3.

Posted via CB10
    shaleem and wehttam like this.
    09-12-14 07:10 PM
    Most are missing the point of this. Its not the fact that Apple now has NFC. Thats not the big deal w/ this. The big deal is they don't store the card number on the phone. You scan the card in the phone and it creates an anonymous number for that card. Then when you pay there is a one time random authorization code. If your phone gets stolen use Find My iPhone to disable the card. You don't have to cancel the card.

If people used this method instead of actual CC at Target say then they would not have been hacked.

The big deal is security not NFC.
    Yes that is another benefit. Once device level tokenization is mass adopted you won't give a rip if Target/Home Depot or other retailer with lax security practices gets hacked in terms of your card security. I had to update all my auto-pays when a card got compromised who knows where and its a PITA.
    09-12-14 07:13 PM
    Most of what I do on my phone involves messaging so I will take a physical keyboard. Thanks
    09-12-14 07:16 PM
    This contains quite a nice layman's explanation for how Apple Pay works: Here's How the Security Behind Apple Pay Will Really Work | Bank Innovation

FTA:

There are a number of interesting implications here. First, while it may seem that Apple isn�t using any new technology, Lambert maintains that the combined use of tokens and biometric security features distinguishes Apple Pay from others. Second, Apple will not be handling the tokenization � the credit networks like Visa and MasterCard will be doing so. This essentially takes Apple out of the payment process � Lambert said that Apple will be acting �more as a channel and not a party,� and Apple already said in its major product announcement this week that it will not retain any transaction data. With Apple acting as a payment conduit and not a processor, it would already see little data, but Lambert said Apple has put up �some Chinese walls� to further prevent it from gaining access to payment data.
    Davidro1 likes this.
    09-12-14 07:17 PM
    Indeed, it's not just here, the Google PR machine is in full gear on other sites. I worked on Apple Pay, Isis, and Google Wallet integration for the bank I work for. There are substantial differences and some very important innovations in Apple's solution.

I suppose that doesn't fit the narrative of Apple being a mindless marketing company and Apple users being teenage girls, so people just ignore all those details.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    They don't ignore the details, They don't know the details

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    shaleem likes this.
    09-12-14 07:17 PM
    This contains quite a nice layman's explanation for how Apple Pay works: Here's How the Security Behind Apple Pay Will Really Work | Bank Innovation

FTA:

There are a number of interesting implications here. First, while it may seem that Apple isn�t using any new technology, Lambert maintains that the combined use of tokens and biometric security features distinguishes Apple Pay from others. Second, Apple will not be handling the tokenization � the credit networks like Visa and MasterCard will be doing so. This essentially takes Apple out of the payment process � Lambert said that Apple will be acting �more as a channel and not a party,� and Apple already said in its major product announcement this week that it will not retain any transaction data. With Apple acting as a payment conduit and not a processor, it would already see little data, but Lambert said Apple has put up �some Chinese walls� to further prevent it from gaining access to payment data.
    Good read. I actually read the article Thanks for the link.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    TGR1 likes this.
    09-12-14 07:26 PM
    Indeed, it's not just here, the Google PR machine is in full gear on other sites. I worked on Apple Pay, Isis, and Google Wallet integration for the bank I work for. There are substantial differences and some very important innovations in Apple's solution.

I suppose that doesn't fit the narrative of Apple being a mindless marketing company and Apple users being teenage girls, so people just ignore all those details.

LOL, so you were amongst the secret cadre, eh? The NYT article certainly made it all sound terribly cloak and dagger.
    09-12-14 07:27 PM
    Goto: Pay

BCITMike and Superfly_FR like this.
    09-12-14 07:28 PM
    LOL, so you were amongst the secret cadre, eh? The NYT article certainly made it all sound terribly cloak and dagger.
    It was an interesting and fun year.

I love what they did with the whole program, and the phone itself is really fantastic. I also look forward to the Passport, and I'm sure I'll enjoy that, too. I can't understand why one side or the other has to be the enemy.

09-12-14 07:31 PM
    i think the nfc payment platform is a standard, i really dont think any stores with an nfc/rfid payment capable atm would replace its current hardware for apple.
    Apparently, specific hardware is required to support Apple Pay. BestBuy and another large retail chain had already declared they won't be supporting it. It requires an investment to support this. Typical Apple.

Posted via CB10
    09-12-14 07:34 PM
    Apparently, specific hardware is required to support Apple Pay. BestBuy and another large retail chain had already declared they won't be supporting it. It requires an investment to support this. Typical Apple.

Posted via CB10
    That part is not specific to Apple at all. It uses just normal NFC terminals. Best Buy just doesn't support NFC at all right now.

Eumaeus, peter0328 and techvisor like this.
    09-12-14 07:38 PM
    So much willful ignorance here. The real information isn't exactly hard to find out there, you know.
    Well said!

Posted via CrackBerry App on my Samsung Note 3
    techvisor likes this.
    09-12-14 07:39 PM

Posted via CB10
    You should inform yourself before posting:

"Both retailers are eschewing the near-field-communication (or NFC) method of payment in favor of another mobile wallet application. Both retailers are getting behind a mobile technology group that’s owned by retailers, called the Merchant Customer Exchange. MCX is in turn launching a mobile wallet application called CurrentC coming in 2015."

In short you won't be able to use your Blackberry, Android or iPhone device.
    09-12-14 07:42 PM

BlackBerry's NOC is the SINGLE, SOLE-SECURE-TRANSPORT for just 1 client! That one client works with Moneris payment terminals in over 70 merchant brands across Canada, and guess what ... ALL 3 major cellular providers are their clients: Rogers Wireless, Telus Mobility, and Bell Mobility. Canada is covered and the merchants are Growing!

BlackBerry already has the next stage of mobile payments working in place the last 3yrs ... BBM Money overseas in 1 country, for now. It does NOT require you to have a national or provincial bank yet it's secure and NEVER faultered!

Do a search on both BlackBerry and mobile payments. I'm sure you'll find one of my early 2013 posts regarding this and at that time was the most in-depth research on mobile payments ... much greater developments have occured since fall 2013 so it's just a historical reference but many recent and up to date sources with links of information are on these very forums. Please search next time before debating.

Enjoy that iOS-Kool-Aid ... 'oooh yeaaaah"
    Guess who else uses that tag line .... Oliver the jeweler
    Laughable!
    Blackberry Market share is less than 2% worldwide. what is 10% in Canada and 1% in the US? It will take off because Apple has market share and enough users to get banks and CC companies interested.
    wehttam likes this.
    09-12-14 07:46 PM

Posted via CB10
    Who told you that? Someone who knows someone who knows someone who knows your friends friend who knows your cousin but doesn't know your Doctor who knew my Phycologist until his untimely death but knows his twin sister and her other brother from another mother who had a talking dog and a parrot...

Typical Ignorance

Nexus 5
    TGR1 and pri79269 like this.
    09-12-14 07:46 PM
    I highly doubt it.
    They can make agreements with the Banks, problem is BB does not have any bargaining chip due to single digit user base
    09-12-14 07:49 PM
    I think I found where all the iFans are hanging out. I thought this was Crackberry?
    Karan Mohal and Playbook007 like this.
    09-12-14 07:57 PM
    I think I found where all the iFans are hanging out. I thought this was Crackberry?
    Don't own an iPhone. So I guess you can't be talking about me!!

Nexus 5
    JeepBB and techvisor like this.
    09-12-14 08:05 PM
    Late to the party? Perhaps. Apparently, nobody, including Blackberry has been able to really get the party started, have they?
    Peets coffee has had NFC readers for a few years. The trouble is getting the Isis sims.

BTW, this is Apple we're talking about. They hire "tastemakers", not engineers. Need I remind you of "goto fail" or their incredibly stupid lack of a lockout on their icloud login.

Buy they do manage to make a metal phone, so they know how to do something.

Posted via CB10
    09-12-14 08:06 PM
    1) Is that always the fallback attack on this site when there is no counter to facts?

2) Does having the truth brought forward and thus not mocking Apple bother you more than all the misinformation being slung around?

3) IMO this is an area that BBRY could get a toe in early in the US. They have a year before the changeover must occur. The standards are open. They have a much better reputation for security than Android, and that may be a bonus to get native app support. From what I recall there was some comment that BBRY had monkeyed around with a Passbook like app and MS has demonstrated it's easy to peel the skin to recreate it. Get something that behaves the same way so it's easy for the cc companies to put their cards in the BBRY app as they will with Apple. Maybe BBRY can leverage their ties to corporate accounts. They may not be able to wrangle as good a deal as either Google or Apple but size of accounts may help. But they can't drag their rears!
    09-12-14 08:12 PM
    Does Apple's implementation also require a nfc sim card? I imagine a lot of people won't really bother.

Posted via CB10
    09-12-14 08:30 PM
    Does Apple's implementation also require a nfc sim card? I imagine a lot of people won't really bother.

Posted via CB10
    It does not require any special SIM. The phone companies are completely out of the picture and cannot stand in the way this time.

In fact, you don't even need a SIM at all. You could set up your cards on WiFi.
    techvisor likes this.
    09-12-14 08:35 PM

Posted via CB10
    It does not

Posted via CB10 from my awesome STA100-3
    09-12-14 08:37 PM
    At least we won't have to wait for years to find out. With about 40 million NFC-enabled iPhones out there by the end of the year, we're going to actually see if it will catch on this over the next few months.

How long have we been waiting for Blackberry to make this popular?
    You do realize that it is estimated that 550 million NFC able phones will be sold this year? Apple's "40 million" that you just mentioned is not that big

Posted via CB10
    Playbook007 likes this.
    09-12-14 09:00 PM
    1) Is that always the fallback attack on this site when there is no counter to facts?
    What facts? I see very little in terms of facts except for bluff and bluster from apparently clairvoyant isheep who think iPay will start some NFC revolution across the country.

I live in PA and travel across the state and have yet to run into a single NFC capable payment receptacle in any gas station, department store, etc. Just because Apple all of a sudden has NFC does not mean some mass acceptance of this technology. Most of the people who buy iphones have no idea what NFC means or what it can do.
    Karan Mohal and Playbook007 like this.
    09-12-14 09:02 PM
616 ... 23456 ...