12-17-10 07:00 PM
94 123 ...
tools
    Apple passes RIM to become #1 smartphone in the United States according to Nielson.

According to October 2010 data from The Nielsen Company, 29.7 percent of U.S. mobile subscribers now own smartphones that run full operating systems.

The most popular smartphones are the Apple iPhone and RIM Blackberry, which are caught in a statistical dead heat with 27 percent of smartphone market share in the U.S. Twenty-two percent of smartphone owners have devices with the Android operating system.

Most Desired Operating Systems (OS):
    When mobile users who planned to upgrade to a smartphone in the next year were asked about their next phone, Apple’s iOS and Android were tied for “most desired” operating system.

Among users planning to get a new smartphone, current smartphone owners showed a preference for the Apple iPhone (35 percent), while 28 percent of both smartphone and featurephone planned smartphone upgraders indicated they wanted a device with an Android operating system as their next mobile phone.
    Featurephone owners planning to get a smartphone are less likely to have made up their mind about the OS they will choose: 25 percent were “not sure” what their next desired OS might be compared to 13 percent of smartphone owners. Those over 55 were markedly less certain than younger mobile users, with 27.8 saying they weren’t sure what kind of device they wanted next, compared to 12.2 percent of those 18 to 24.
    Apple’s iPhone and devices with the Android operating system were the “most desired” among likely smartphone upgraders, with Apple showing a slight lead among those age 55+ , 18 to 24, and 25 to 34.
    Women planning to get a smartphone are more likely to want an iPhone as their next device, with slightly more males preferring Android.

more here
    Blackberry seems to have a dim future.
    12-01-10 10:31 AM
    That will change soon, The Galaxy S has become the #1 selling smartphone in Japan, de-throning the Iphone4. Android will be the dominant OS here in the U.S. soon enough...
    12-01-10 10:35 AM
    If the iphone comes to Verizon in 2011 too, don't count on that anytime soon.
    12-01-10 06:54 PM
    I see a lot of maybes on this topic lol, I'll start.

If or when apple iphone hits verizon, definitely a big loss for android. topping it off with a breakthrough in the ip5 nothing might hold it back lol.

it also goes without saying if, and a big if, that rim releases a storm3 with the qnx os, deal breaker for android as well. Plus it will put up a fight with apple.

That being said, a lot of speculation considering a lot of people aren't doing research until the phone hits a carrier, even then they only buy it to look important and fashionable, as well as to feel popular to onlookers.

(cough) imho (cough)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-01-10 09:10 PM
    That will change soon, The Galaxy S has become the #1 selling smartphone in Japan, de-throning the Iphone4. Android will be the dominant OS here in the U.S. soon enough...
    I agree all the carriers in the US have droid phones, iphone is only att (possible vzw), the torch is only att. I still like blackberry but android is taking over.

12-01-10 09:19 PM
    This doesn't really say anything about apple vs. android but it speaks volumes about where RIM stands. I see them losing out more and more.
    12-01-10 09:20 PM
    it also goes without saying if, and a big if, that rim releases a storm3 with the qnx os, deal breaker for android as well. Plus it will put up a fight with apple.
    Neither Apple nor Android have anything to fear from this mythical "Storm 3". The Storm isn't even in the game anymore.
    12-01-10 09:41 PM
    Did you see the big "if" lol.

12-02-10 08:23 AM
    If the iphone comes to Verizon in 2011 too, don't count on that anytime soon.
    The silver bullet right there.
    12-02-10 08:45 AM
    This doesn't really say anything about apple vs. android but it speaks volumes about where RIM stands. I see them losing out more and more.
    How does it not speak volumes for Apple? One carrier as compared to what 4 for android, and 3 iOS devices as compared to what 50 for android.

For Apple to be in the thick of things considering the huge advantages Android has, speaks volumes.
    12-02-10 08:52 AM
    Right, the biggest thing Android has going for it is multiple devices across multiple carriers, everyone can get a slice of the pie. Even if Verizon gets the Iphone I do not believe it will hurt Android at all. The reason I say this is more and more Iphone users are making the switch to Android because you are not locked down by Apple. You can download what you want and do as you wish without the need to jailbreak. Not even a jailbroken Iphone can do what Android does right out of the box. This is very appealing to many Iphone users...
    12-02-10 09:24 AM
    Right, the biggest thing Android has going for it is multiple devices across multiple carriers, everyone can get a slice of the pie. Even if Verizon gets the Iphone I do not believe it will hurt Android at all. The reason I say this is more and more Iphone users are making the switch to Android because you are not locked down by Apple. You can download what you want and do as you wish without the need to jailbreak. Not even a jailbroken Iphone can do what Android does right out of the box. This is very appealing to many Iphone users...
    I'm curious to know some examples, SD, thanks in advance.
    12-02-10 09:29 AM
    IOS is much more stable then android..
    12-02-10 09:57 AM
    Yes Id like to see stats that more iphone users are moving to Android considering Apple has been shown to have the highest brand loyalty (people who will stay with iphone and buy another) by far over any Android manufacturer.

And considering Apple shipped the most phones it ever has these past 3 or 4 months. And Apple has captured top marketshare with 3 models on one carrier vs about 2 dozen on 5-6 carriers.

I GUARANTEE once there's a VZW iphone that BB and Android will lose people to it who have just been waiting for it to come to VZW and have just bought with some other device in the meantime.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 12-02-10 at 10:02 AM.
    12-02-10 09:58 AM
    IOS is much more stable then android..
    But, when an iPhone locks, you gotta take it to the Apple store. Co-workers of my sister's had that happen to theirs.
    12-02-10 10:05 AM
    Yes Id like to see stats that more iphone users are moving to Android considering Apple has been shown to have the highest brand loyalty (people who will stay with iphone and buy another) by far over any Android manufacturer.

And considering Apple shipped the most phones it ever has these past 3 or 4 months. And Apple has captured top marketshare with 3 models on one carrier vs about 2 dozen on 5-6 carriers.

I GUARANTEE once there's a VZW iphone that BB and Android will lose people to it who have just been waiting for it to come to VZW and have just bought with some other device in the meantime.
    I somewhat agree, my sister, and mother, want one for sure. My other sister's on the fence. Younger brother will only want a physical keyboard, and BB's email. I'll be on the fence. If it's any improvement over the iP4, I'll look into it.
    12-02-10 10:06 AM
    I'm curious to know some examples, SD, thanks in advance.
    You can change the homescreen and icons anyway you want, you can download music and non-Market applications. You are not locked to the Apple store for apps. You can use any bluetooth headset, stereo headpohone, keyboard and more. With Android you can choose your own hardware, with Apple there is only one. The notifications on Android are much better than the Iphone. Apple says iOS 4 multi-tasks. It does not. if I load a webpage on iPhone and a call comes in an I answer, the webpage will stop loading until I switch back. Android works like a desktop OS which is how it is supposed too. In fact WebOS and Windows Mobile have worked that way from day one. Why doesn't Apple?
    12-02-10 10:52 AM
    You can change the homescreen and icons anyway you want, you can download music and non-Market applications. You are not locked to the Apple store for apps. You can use any bluetooth headset, stereo headpohone, keyboard and more. With Android you can choose your own hardware, with Apple there is only one. The notifications on Android are much better than the Iphone. Apple says iOS 4 multi-tasks. It does not. if I load a webpage on iPhone and a call comes in an I answer, the webpage will stop loading until I switch back. Android works like a desktop OS which is how it is supposed too. In fact WebOS and Windows Mobile have worked that way from day one. Why doesn't Apple?
    The hardware end of it, I was unaware of, thanks. I could understand software, but hardware is another story.
    12-02-10 11:26 AM
    Even if Verizon gets the Iphone I do not believe it will hurt Android at all. The reason I say this is more and more Iphone users are making the switch to Android because you are not locked down by Apple.
    Where are you getting this information from, if anything it is either a stalemate or the opposite. Any hard evidence, stats or even links? I see stats that say iOS and the iPhone have the most loyal customers out of any OS and or device. Again, keep in mind the only reason Android maybe be adopted at a faster rate (if so) is because its availability far outreaches iOS, not because of a superior operating system or device.
    I do believe if the iPhone does go to Verizon it will play a significant role in iOS gaining a tremendous amount of market share in the U.S.
    Last edited by Entertainment72; 12-02-10 at 01:52 PM.
    12-02-10 01:45 PM
    It does depend on who you talk to. I remember talking to a hybrid developer who said he still wouldn't go to iPhone, even if it did come to Verizon. He's now on a Droid, and is putting his talents into developing stuff for it. I have a friend who loves the iPhone, but is willing to develop stuff for Android, also.
    12-02-10 02:05 PM
    There's no doubt android will topple all platforms. I think android owners are very proud of their choice and although in my opinion they are more willing to switch to blackberry, they're not with respect to iphone. VZ may see an initial surge of iphone sales but i believe android will see a greater pie of the market.
    12-02-10 02:56 PM
    Any hard evidence, stats or even links?
    Being loyal to an OS doesn't cut it, sales do. Android is the top OS in the United States...

Gartner Says Worldwide Mobile Device Sales Grew 13.8 Percent in Second Quarter of 2010, But Competition Drove Prices Down
    12-02-10 03:17 PM
    Being loyal to an OS doesn't cut it, sales do. Android is the top OS in the United States...

Gartner Says Worldwide Mobile Device Sales Grew 13.8 Percent in Second Quarter of 2010, But Competition Drove Prices Down
    And iPhone 4 sales have been very good , that link doesn't show how many iPhone owners have switched. Again such a bad slant (spin)by Android fanboys, HTC makes how many Android devices? How many iOS devices does Apple make. Too funny, and that's not even counting Samsung and Motorola.

Android has taken the RIM approach, produce a lot of different devices and hope to outsell the one or two by Apple. If anything I see Android and RIM as a failure, they should be killing Apple with how many devices they have out.

Wait so 20 phones on 4 carriers, outsold 1 phone on 1 carrier? Shocking.
    Last edited by Entertainment72; 12-03-10 at 12:11 AM.
    xxxxpradaxxxx likes this.
    12-02-10 11:48 PM
    And iPhone 4 sales have been very good , that link doesn't show how many iPhone owners have switched. Again such a bad slant (spin)by Android fanboys, HTC makes how many Android devices? How many iOS devices does Apple make. Too funny, and that's not even counting Samsung and Motorola.

Android has taken the RIM approach, produce a lot of different devices and hope to outsell the one or two by Apple. If anything I see Android and RIM as a failure, they should be killing Apple with how many devices they have out.

Wait so 20 phones on 4 carriers, outsold 1 phone on 1 carrier? Shocking.
    They are killing Apple, face it and get on with your life. I do what I want on my Android while Steve Jobs tells you what you can and can't have on yours. That my friend is a fact...
    12-03-10 08:09 AM
    ^^^ I complete agree, i see android taking over. Apple will continue to see its image of posh and very hip but will never surpass more accessible peers like PCs or mobile devices. I guess i'll make the car comparison and say that although BMWs can be seen virtually everywhere in the world, many people do not have access to them for many reasons. Apple with its pricing policy and market appeal will never become the most adopted device if they continue with its current business plan (not that there's anything wrong with that.)
    12-03-10 09:26 AM
94 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD