EDIT : page 6 pwnage BTW.

The only thing Android has going for it is saturating the market with too many devices to count. FALSE And they still haven't caught up to RIM, FALSE who has only a handful of devices, or the iPhone which really only has the same phone with upgraded software/hardware. Android isn't doing nearly as well as originally projected, so neither Apple or RIM have anything to really worry about.
    Android has several things in their corner.
    1) Open Source - Take a look at how many sites are completely devoted to nothing but the software development of Android. XDA, Cyanogen, ModMyMoto, Android and Me, The Unlockr and countless others.
    2) perfect Sync with Google - E-Mail has 2way sync, Calendar, maps and browser history is perfect, and google voice is flawless. The only thing we are missing is Google Docs.
    3) Applications, i don't really need to dig into this one to much
    4) browser, untill you've used the 3rd generation of Google's Mobile Chrome Browser you really will not understand
    5) Flash Support along with HTML5 support. Web site appear as websites and are nearly perfect in rendering
    6) options to move from one phone to the next with little setting up when it comes to moving applications. The Google Market has a record of everything you've downloaded and kept installed and you can install it on your new phone in a few clicks of the buttons....

All that adds up to REALLY nice end user experience, and people like that. I know i do.
    Last edited by syb0rg; 12-17-10 at 01:56 PM.
    12-17-10 01:36 PM
    3) Applications? You're comparing 100,000+ apps to what 300,000+
    ? Yes a lot are garbage for both but I wouldn't use Applications as an advantage, if anything a disadvantage. <cough Netflix>
    6) is not an advantage as well, iTunes works great with moving applications from one iPhone to another.
    How do you back up your Android device? I don't know, I'm asking. Does it back up MMS/SMS, Application settings, recent calls etc.
    12-17-10 02:19 PM
    3) Applications? You're comparing 100,000+ apps to what 300,000+
    ? Yes a lot are garbage for both but I wouldn't use Applications as an advantage, if anything a disadvantage. <cough Netflix>
    6) is not an advantage as well, iTunes works great with moving applications from one iPhone to another.
    How do you back up your Android device? I don't know, I'm asking. Does it back up MMS/SMS, Application settings, recent calls etc.
    1) I own an ipod, so you are starting to bark up the wrong tree.
    2) How does an Android back up an application? well we have several way.
    a) titanium backup is an application that will back up all the applications and the information directly to the SD card. So all you have to do is "restore" and it will put all of your applications directly back on the phone, exactly where you left them. for like upgrading to different ROMs.
    b) the google market keeps track of what applications you have downloaded and if you don't have that application downloaded upon logging into your account it will automatically load them on your phone
    c) Nandroid back up, it will make a complete of the ROM, applications, MMS/SMS, Address book. Basically EVERYTHING that is on the phone will be backed up, down to the wallpaper you are using for the main screen and the wallpaper. Heck it will even remember if you have any draft e-mails or SMS messages waiting to be sent, due to incompletion.

and regarding to the Apps deal.

How many of the android market applications are free base on how many of the Apple App Store.

and how many applications are user developed and integrated in official ROMS from the suppliers. The Power Bar rings a bell in my head. Apple doesn't have that ability.

and regarding the netflix deal. 1) if i have time to watch a movie, i'll watch it on my TV... and 2 ) how is that flash support working out for it? just wondering...
    12-17-10 02:34 PM
    See, your argument is completely flawed. The demand for the iPhone is high because it is only ONE DEVICE. The iPhone is the ONLY device that offers iOS. I bet if the iPhone had multiple new models released every year, the sales would be the same. It would just be divided between each model just like RIM and Android have it right now. We will never know though because Apple wont make more than one device to cater to different peoples needs. Apple makes what Steve Jobs wants and that is it.
    Shenanigans. Android and RIM have it right now with some of their devices far outselling others from the same company. The fact that the iPhone is doing so well with just ONE device actually counteracts the point you're trying to make. They only need one model to appeal to the masses. There aren't 15-30 different models with "something for everyone." So again, shenanigans.
    12-17-10 02:41 PM
    Shenanigans. Android and RIM have it right now with some of their devices far outselling others from the same company. The fact that the iPhone is doing so well with just ONE device actually counteracts the point you're trying to make. They only need one model to appeal to the masses. There aren't 15-30 different models with "something for everyone." So again, shenanigans.
    Do you want your car to look just like every other car out there? do you want your Christmas tree to look just like every other christmas tree out there? Do you want your house to be modeled just like every other house out there?

So why do you want your phone to look just like everyone elses? it make no since why anyone would want a closed device, like apple is. And yes i own an apple product for one reason only, to play music on my work computer. If could stream Slacker or Pandora at work, i'd have no need for my iPod.
    12-17-10 02:51 PM
    EDIT : page 6 pwnage BTW.

Android has several things in their corner.
    1) Open Source - Take a look at how many sites are completely devoted to nothing but the software development of Android. XDA, Cyanogen, ModMyMoto, Android and Me, The Unlockr and countless others. There are just as many app developers for the App Store, they just have to go through a more rigorous application process. Something that I prefer, as a matter of fact. The number of apps on the App Store vs the Android Market speaks for itself.
    2) perfect Sync with Google - E-Mail has 2way sync, Calendar, maps and browser history is perfect, and google voice is flawless. The only thing we are missing is Google Docs. Android devices sync perfectly with Google just like the iPhone does with iTunes? Dude, whoa.
    3) Applications, i don't really need to dig into this one to much Made my point for me, here. App Store blows Android Market away.
    4) browser, untill you've used the 3rd generation of Google's Mobile Chrome Browser you really will not understand Read any comparison of Safari to Mobile Chrome anywhere and you will understand why this made me laugh. The Safari is just faster, period.
    5) Flash Support along with HTML5 support. Web site appear as websites and are nearly perfect in rendering Cloud Browse (the Firefox app) has Flash Support. And HTML5, obviously, is Apple's programming language of choice.
    6) options to move from one phone to the next with little setting up when it comes to moving applications. The Google Market has a record of everything you've downloaded and kept installed and you can install it on your new phone in a few clicks of the buttons.... Restoring your iPhone from an iTunes backup does the same thing.

All that adds up to REALLY nice end user experience, and people like that. I know i do.
    That ought to cover it. Next?
    12-17-10 02:54 PM
    I think that when Iphone comes to verizon.... It's really going to slow down Android.
    Q1 to Q3 Iphone out sold Android 2.5/1. Imagine if the iphone was on verizon ... They have about 2 or 3 million subscribers then AT&T and many more are going to join just to get there hands on the Iphone.

Not that i care what phone sales better or is better...I couldn't care less but if the iphone doe's get to VW... this is the best Android will do....... Next year at this time it will be like 3.5-4/1 iphone vs Androids.
    Last edited by TheBBman; 12-17-10 at 03:02 PM.
    12-17-10 02:58 PM
    That ought to cover it. Next?
    This battle will go round and round. Open source doesn't mean the option to develop applications .

I tunes is one media management program. Google is a search engine, calendar, cloud storage, Web-Mail provider, Address Book. How is Apple syncing to iTunes to Google Syncing to Android the exact same thing.

the app store = Android market, but we do have alot more free applications that are useful. but i personally prefer the flavor of the android market over the app store every day of the week. Having to punch my password in everytime to download an application is annoying as H E Double Hockey Stick.

my Android phone is faster on the native browser is faster on HSPA+, that my iPod attached to a approx 5Mbps down Wi-Fi network. Trust me on this one. I have a friend who works for the Apple Store in Kenwood Mall, (cincinnati ohio). And i have a friend who is developer for Apple and Android. We've tested my phone against a Dev iPhone4, a consumer iPhone4 and G2.

we don't need a 3rd part browser or some hackish way to book make a site a force it to play in Quick Time.
    12-17-10 03:09 PM
    I think that when Iphone comes to verizon.... It's really going to slow down Android.
    Q1 to Q3 Iphone out sold Android 2.5/1. Imagine if the iphone was on verizon ... They have about 2 or 3 million subscribers then AT&T and many more are going to join just to get there hands on the Iphone.

Not that i care what phone sales better or is better...I couldn't care less but if the iphone doe's get to VW... this is the best Android will do....... Next year at this time it will be like 3.5-4/1 iphone vs Androids.
    Don't forget, the Iphone4 will more likely be cheaper now when it hits Verizon. That's still something to consider, that the iphone4 is nowhere near to be called something cheap in 2010 at AT&T, even the base 16Gig model. We can safely assume, that the iphone4 will start at prices of 99 dollars+ 2 year contract and several types of deals for people who just want to upgrade their phones to the Apple.
    12-17-10 03:28 PM
    What? That makes the demand even higher... WTF are you talking about? They only have one option to chose from. So, if iOS is only available on ONE smartphone, the Apple App Store is only available on ONE smartphone, the Apple ecosystem only syncs with ONE smartphone, the demand for that ONE device is going to be huge. Android and BlackBerry have multiple options so the demand is split between multiple devices. Android and BB users just have more choices. If their were 2 different iPhone 4s out right now, one with a physical keyboard and the one currently on the market, I bet Apple would have more sales. I also bet you a lot of iPhone 4 users (current version) would not have the current version and would have the keyboarded version.

And when I say ONE, I mean the iPhone brand. There are multiple models of the iPhone out on the market, but people just seem to categorize the iPhone and all its models as one device for some reason.
    12-17-10 04:10 PM
    Still how does iOS (iPhone 3GS/4) on ONE network outsell Android with it's 20+ models on FOUR? iOS 3GS/4 sales on AT&T destroyed all the Android phones combined on Verizon just this past quarter.
    I see Android in 5 years where RIM is today, I see Verizon breaking down and telling Apple ok, you can have your way, we won't install crapware on the iPhone.

Come Spring 2011 the iPhone 4 will be $99 with the soon introduction of the 4S(lol), all while being on Verizon for months, of course in addition to AT&T.

I can see it now, a Verizon (not Apple) press conference. Folks, the time has come, the phones of all phones, the best of the best, the crem de la crem is finally here. Introducing the LTE iPhone 4 in glorious WHITE fashion. That weekend an astonishing 5 million phones will sell for Verizon.
    Last edited by Entertainment72; 12-17-10 at 04:48 PM.
    12-17-10 04:42 PM
    The only way I see Apple even trying to compete against Android is if the device were jailbroken out of the box...
    12-17-10 04:46 PM
    The only way I see Apple even trying to compete against Android is if the device were jailbroken out of the box...
    Compete? Apple is killing Android right now lol, have you seen the latest sales figures?
    12-17-10 04:50 PM
    Still how does iOS (iPhone 3GS/4) on ONE network outsell Android with it's 20+ models on FOUR? iOS 3GS/4 on AT&T destroyed all the Android phones combined on Verizon just this past quarter.
    I see Android in 5 years where RIM is today, I see Verizon breaking down and telling Apple ok, you can have your way, we won't install crapware on the iPhone.

Come Spring 2011 the iPhone 4 will be $99 with the soon introduction of the 4S(lol), all while being on Verizon for months, of course in addition to AT&T.
    Do no forget Apple also has a huge following. Android? It is growing more and more rapidly by the day, but Apple has had a huge following for a longer time. When the iPhone first came out, the only people I knew with the device were diehard Apple users. That was the same when Android first came out... The only people I knew who used it were diehard Google services users.

I am not using this as a reason (even though it very well could be), but a lot of people see the iPhone as a great option because it also has the number one selling MP3 player (the iPod) built in. People might see it as a 2 for one deal. Most of the smartphone users I know don't even know their devices can store and download songs. They only think the iPhone can do it because of the iPod.

Also lets not forget Apple is an American company, so that could be another reason, but I really doubt that reason is a big player in why their sales are so high. Hype and marketing has a lot to do with it because Apple is great at doing both.

The iPhone is a great product, I am not going to bash it at all, I owned two of them and loved them both. I just wanted a little more than I was getting so I left.

But out of all the fanboys out there, is it really that hard to see that Apple has the most support?
    12-17-10 04:54 PM
    That maybe for now. My point is that iOS is so locked down, Android is unlocked. I don't see the reason anyone would want to be locked down on a device they paid for and own. I mean to each their own, but why not have freedom?
    12-17-10 04:54 PM
    Compete? Apple is killing Android right now lol, have you seen the latest sales figures?
    And with worldwide growth Android is raping everyone, I know you've seen those figures.

300k activation a day. That is not including tabs and knockoffs or other mysterious Asian devices that we never see over here.
    12-17-10 04:57 PM
    And with worldwide growth Android is raping everyone, I know you've seen those figures.

300k activation a day. That is not including tabs and knockoffs or other mysterious Asian devices that we never see over here.
    No I haven't, where would those numbers be found? How many countries is Android available in?
    12-17-10 05:08 PM
    I could see some people want to change there theme, email tones, ect... but a large part of the population does not care about being "lock down". yes you find some users on tech forums talking about this but the regular user has no idea what lock down.
    Could you please explain to me also what do you mean by lock down? I never really go this "Android is open" thing.

Most of the Android consumers didn't get it because it let's you have a choice of which music player to use...they got it because it was the best the carrier had to offer at the time they sign up or renewing there contract.

Compare any 1 android device to the ip4 only..... it's not even close. Why is that? Because most people want something simple and that works. Not somethings that's not locked down.

Once the Iphone makes it's way to more carriers in the US (VW) Android sales are going to drop A LOT. People are going to have another choice now on that network. When you choice was RIM or Android it's pretty obvious what most will chose.

In the end all phones have there strong points and weak points
    (yes even RIM) lol. It's all user preference. we could stay here and argue all day what phone is better...but that would be a big waste of time .

That maybe for now. My point is that iOS is so locked down, Android is unlocked. I don't see the reason anyone would want to be locked down on a device they paid for and own. I mean to each their own, but why not have freedom?
    Last edited by TheBBman; 12-17-10 at 05:30 PM.
    12-17-10 05:20 PM
    No I haven't, where would those numbers be found? How many countries is Android available in?
    Andy Rubin: over 300,000 Android phones activated daily -- Engadget

Andy Rubin: Android 'Perfect Storm' brewing in emerging markets - Google 24/7 - Fortune Tech

This is an old article about the growth, I can't find any recent ones, but we all know Android is growing at fast rates. Android growing faster and gaining market share faster than any other platform. You really haven't seen any of the article?

Report details OS market share in Q3, Android pulls off 10x growth - GSMArena.com news
    Android Drives Smartphone Growth in Western Europe, Says IDC - computerwoche's posterous

And I do not know how many countries Android is available in. Technically, Android is available anywhere you have hardware that can run it.
    12-17-10 07:00 PM
94 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD