To cap off a week chock-full of Apple-related rumors, we now have this: is Apple about to acquire a company in the process of giving its iOS notifications system a major makeover?

Apple blog Cult of Mac says it's hearing exactly that from a source, who is not named. The company Apple is allegedly buying isn't confirmed in the report, but is said to be "small" and currently has an application available for sale in the iOS App Store.

Now that would describe about a thousand companies. But there aren't that many that do slick notification apps. Cult of Mac has zeroed in on App Remix, the company that makes the app called Boxcar.

Boxcar pools all of your social media feeds and delivers your notifications from each into one app. (App Remix's CEO apparently had "no comment" on Cult of Mac's query as to whether Apple plans on making the company an offer.)

Apple's own notification system isn't regarded as the most stellar implementation. The original iPhone actually shipped without any real push notification system for third-party apps. It took Apple three iterations of the iPhone's software before it found a system it liked. But the system employed in Palm's original Pre smartphone featuring WebOS is still roundly praised as the best in the business. Hewlett-Packard, of course, owns WebOS now and recently introduced the software on several new phones and a tablet.

The man who invented the WebOS notification system, Rich Dellinger, actually quit Palm just after the HP acquisition last year to return to his former employer, Apple. The rumor mill heated up then that iOS' notifications were in for a big change, but nothing more has come of that--at least not yet. Apple updates its iOS software on a yearly basis, usually in June, and there's a preview event usually around March to see what will be in the next version, in this case iOS 5. It's possible we could see a new push notification process included in the next big software update for the iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad.

Read more: Apple overhauling iPhone notification system? | Circuit Breaker - CNET News
    02-13-11 05:03 PM
    I hope so, the current notification system is in my opinion one of the major downfalls of iOS.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-13-11 05:17 PM
    I hope so, the current notification system is in my opinion one of the major downfalls of iOS.

Well, if Rich Dellinger is the inventor of the WebOS notification system and worked previously for Palm, and now he works for Apple again, then we got nothing to fear.
    02-13-11 05:38 PM
    wow that is some good research you did there, or found. Great post and i hope the notifications do change. Although i am used to them now i would minda drop down menu or something like android uses. I'm not very familiar with Palm I'll need to watch a youtube video lol.
    02-13-11 06:12 PM
    When Apple comes out with a decent notification system, I hope they aren't pompous and say that they do notifications better than anyone else.

They put their foot in their mouth with iOS's current "multi-tasking" which clearly lacks in so many ways. Multi tasking can also be something Apple looks into for the next iOS version.
    02-13-11 07:57 PM
    For me... A simple led alerting of something missed would be fine. I agree that their multitasking is pretty week.
    02-13-11 08:10 PM
    When Apple comes out with a decent notification system, I hope they aren't pompous and say that they do notifications better than anyone else.

They put their foot in their mouth with iOS's current "multi-tasking" which clearly lacks in so many ways. Multi tasking can also be something Apple looks into for the next iOS version.
    Why would it bother you if they say they do notifications better then anyone else anyway? If you believe it's not true it shouldn't matter either way. To some they may believe Apple does notifications better then anyone else, hence why they use the Apple platform, (just a thought, and that goes for multi-tasking as well).
    02-13-11 09:36 PM
    the problem with APPLE, having owned and still owns a lot of products is that they aim for the "shock" and "awe" and tend to miss the basics.. whether it's intentional or not.. i really don't know.
    Remember the early iphones? when cut/copy and paste was missing? or the ability to send MMS? which were present in other platforms that were released 5 yrs earlier.
    And with the iPad, missing the front facing camera, or any USB ports.
    i can go on and ON but you guys get the point.
    02-13-11 09:53 PM
    the problem with APPLE, having owned and still owns a lot of products is that they aim for the "shock" and "awe" and tend to miss the basics.. whether it's intentional or not.. i really don't know.
    Remember the early iphones? when cut/copy and paste was missing? or the ability to send MMS? which were present in other platforms that were released 5 yrs earlier.
    And with the iPad, missing the front facing camera, or any USB ports.
    i can go on and ON but you guys get the point.
    Good points, I too love Apple products but the fact that they spoon feed greatly needed improvements and OS updates is getting tired.

The next big thing on iOS is going to be a decent notification system and they will introduce it as if were the best thing since sliced bread. When all is said and done Apple is just catching up with the competition. I mean really, who are they fooling? Web OS, Android, Blackberry and even WP7 already have great notification systems.
    02-13-11 10:57 PM
    For me... A simple led alerting of something missed would be fine. I agree that their multitasking is pretty week.
    While I agree that the multitasking is a bit weak, i would rather have a dynamic or a selectable system myself. For example, with battery hungry things like video, gaming, and navigation, I'd rather have the suspended app affect than letting them run in the background eating up battery life quickly. I forsee a lot of PlayBook users killing their batteries quick because they'll forget something running that is intensive. Maybe RIM got smart and devised the OS to suspend running apps if the PB goes unused for a while and the screen dims or if it's turned off/sleep mode. Can you imagine how quickly a battery would die if you left something intensive running simply because you got interrupted by a call or something else and forgot you left it on?

I would say a user selectable or (even better) a dynamic multitasking system would be even better. Apple's problem is that they are minimalists and while that's good for some things, like physical design, capability design should be minimalist geared for stupid users while also natively dynamic to satisfy the needs of the more advanced and aware user. We're not all simple minded, please don't limit us because you know some of your sheep can't grasp the concept of "don't let the water run while you're brushing".
    02-13-11 10:57 PM
    Good points, I too love Apple products but the fact that they spoon feed greatly needed improvements and OS updates is getting tired.

The next big thing on iOS is going to be a decent notification system and they will introduce it as if were the best thing since sliced bread. When all is said and done Apple is just catching up with the competition. I mean really, who are they fooling? Web OS, Android, Blackberry and even WP7 already have great notification systems.
    To remind you, the iphone still notifies, but only once. And then if you click on the home button in standby mode, the lock screen shows the blue message of notification. So it works to a certain degree. Of course the problem is, if the phone just sits in my pocket and maybe/maybe not I noticed the first notification, there is no way of telling later if there is a message sitting on my phone, since the screen is dark and nothing is flashing.
    If they had the idea of installing a front facing camera, it's hard to believe they couldn't include a tiny LED light beside it or even just a code line in the OS, to flash the screen at certain intervals.
    Also having the iphone 4 for 5 months now, and fiddling with it and reading various forums, the notification feature is a so-so. If you go to settings and see where you can set the applications how to notify, it all looks ok, but in reality it doesn't work as it is intended to. For testing, I enabled a bunch of apps (claiming to have a push notification), and out of like 20...maybe 3 of them worked. Tried restarting them too, (and restarting the phone also) , but it seems like once the phone decides to kill the process running in the background, there goes the notification feature.

And there is no way around to adjust this. If i double click on the phone's home button, and see which apps are (supposed to be) running, it may show a whole bunch, while some are missing, that I wish they wouldn't be. I'm not entirely sure, but it's either the phone decided, that it's a processor heavy application and needs to have it killed , or it's the fault of the application itself; or even the phone itself is just not working as it was intended to?

Nothing can demonstrate this better, than the multi-chat program called IM+ . It actually states, that the chat program will send a notification to you when you MUST unlock the phone; click on the IM app again to run it in order to keep the phone from shutting the app off.

Anyone with an iphone can try this. After a few hours, you will be notified to "log back in" or you will loose your notification feature. That is "a problem" , in a very humble opinion.
    Last edited by Shodan775; 02-13-11 at 11:26 PM.
    02-13-11 11:15 PM
    Ok...I am trying this "Boxcar" applicaton, which supposed to be a notification app that gives a feature to the phone, where I can check all the updates (facebook , twitter,RSS reader etc) at one place in a threaded view, similar to the OS6 idea for the Torch . It works like a charm. First, it takes a while until it starts working, but once it is in business... heck..even the its own tiny Facebook interface is more functional than the actual Facebook app. Well, basicall it's the Safari web page of Facebook mobile, but with the notification system attached to it from Boxcar, it works 100%, unlike the clusmy Facebook app.

here it is (free)
    Boxcar for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store
    Last edited by Shodan775; 02-13-11 at 11:38 PM.
    02-13-11 11:35 PM
    I hope this is true. From all the reading I've done the notification system is the iPhone's only true flaw currently. One that can really be remedied quite easily with a notification bar of some sort.

And I bet that Apple has known about the weakness of their notification system for a long time now. It's just Apple being Apple and they're at the table with a simple problem but trying to give it the usual "Apple's amazing solution" to it lol.

I've never owned an iPhone but is it true that when you check the phone new messages/emails are displayed as red numbers over the respective icon on the screen?
    Last edited by Mr. Marco; 02-14-11 at 12:18 AM.
    02-14-11 12:13 AM
    An improved notification system may just be enough to bring me into the iPhone fold. 2011 may be a tough year for RIM in North America.

02-14-11 12:16 AM
    Ok...I am trying this "Boxcar" applicaton, which supposed to be a notification app that gives a feature to the phone, where I can check all the updates (facebook , twitter,RSS reader etc) at one place in a threaded view, similar to the OS6 idea for the Torch . It works like a charm. First, it takes a while until it starts working, but once it is in business... heck..even the its own tiny Facebook interface is more functional than the actual Facebook app. Well, basicall it's the Safari web page of Facebook mobile, but with the notification system attached to it from Boxcar, it works 100%, unlike the clusmy Facebook app.

here it is (free)
    Boxcar for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store
    I just installed Boxcar and used the forwarding email address that I was given to forward my Verizon.net email. I works just great and I really like the notifications, but... Now, naturally none of my verizon.net accounts are working anymore. In the Boxcar app, the entire email is not displayed. Am I doing something wrong, and is there a way that I can use Boxcar just for notifications and still receive my email in my verizon.net account?
    02-14-11 01:08 PM
    I just installed Boxcar and used the forwarding email address that I was given to forward my Verizon.net email. I works just great and I really like the notifications, but... Now, naturally none of my verizon.net accounts are working anymore. In the Boxcar app, the entire email is not displayed. Am I doing something wrong, and is there a way that I can use Boxcar just for notifications and still receive my email in my verizon.net account?
    No idea, sorry. I didn't sync my email with Boxcar, since I am getting push email through Exchange anyway.
    02-14-11 01:39 PM
    No idea, sorry. I didn't sync my email with Boxcar, since I am getting push email through Exchange anyway.
    Thanks for the reply. What I did for now, is just turn of my forwarding to Boxcar. I really did like the email notifications.
    02-14-11 02:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD