http://i.engadget.com/2010/04/12/opera-mini-for-iphone-approved-will-be-available-for-free/

looks awesome, not sure if it's enough to sway me from Safari though, but this will be good for data concious users or 2G users.

I'm actually surprised Apple let this fly

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-12-10 07:35 PM
    Thats amazing for us iPhone users. It's said to be up to 6 times faster then the safari browser at times, which will put browsing on the BB even further behind..
    04-12-10 07:56 PM
    It's definitely fast but it really shines on 2G data (3G speeds aren't as fast).

Opera Mini is available on BB as well so it gives them an alternative to the garbage they have to use.

04-12-10 08:27 PM
    I saw this on Twitter earlier.

Best news I've heard all day. Definitely getting this when it's in the US app store.
    04-12-10 09:12 PM
    I love having a choice.
    04-12-10 10:02 PM
    Opera Mini is now in the iTunes store: http://itunes.apple.com/app/opera-mini-web-browser/id363729560?mt=8

Takes some getting use to but it is pretty quick.
    04-12-10 10:26 PM
    Apparently, 2G/EDGE users notice the biggest difference in speed, but it's defiinitely faster on 3G as well.

Page zoom is different than Safari.
    With Opera you get two settings: zoomed and not zoomed. Nothing in between. Whereas Safari has an incremental zoom.
    04-13-10 05:06 AM
    Another few quirks:

1. When replying to a quote using Safari, after you click 'Submit', you are taken to the post you just created.
    With Opera, it takes you to the top of the page, so you have to scroll down to see the post you just created.

2. Twice now, after typing out a post, i click 'Done', and it has erased everything I typed, forcing me to type it again.

3. In (for example), User CP, Subscribed Threads, to see the most recent post in a thread, you have to click on the little box beside the posters S/N.
    That tiny little box is not easy to hit sometimes. Maybe my fingers are too big...
    04-13-10 05:50 AM
    Another couple of quirks/bugs:

1. Predictive text doesn't work in Opera either. For me at least.

2. I just went to BGR and selected an article. The page loads the headline, but that's it, no body.
    Tried selecting the comments, nothing happens.
    Sigh...

Has anyone else noticed any of these things, or is it just me?
    Last edited by LazyStarGazer; 04-13-10 at 06:13 AM.
    04-13-10 06:00 AM
    Anyone see a way to move all your bookmarks from Safari to Opera Mini?
    04-13-10 08:03 AM
    tgeekb, can you do it online, and then use the Opera Mini sync option? Would that work?
    04-13-10 12:45 PM
    Opera Mini sucks. Safari is way better!
    04-13-10 02:12 PM
    Anyone see a way to move all your bookmarks from Safari to Opera Mini?
    I just added all of my bookmarks manually.

04-13-10 02:28 PM

Here's something else. In Safari, that is an animated .Gif.

When I view it through Opera, it's a still image, no animation.
    Last edited by LazyStarGazer; 04-13-10 at 07:02 PM.
    04-13-10 06:59 PM
    I like it... Don't love it yet though...

As someone said, the zoom is either on or off!

Also it annoys me that when using App's such as Twitter apps (I use Osfoora) you click on a link and it defaults to using Safari, not Opera.
    04-14-10 05:03 AM
    despite its shortcomings, not bad for an initial release. using safari is like carefully speed-walking through a china shop, whereas using opera is like running balls to the wall knocking everything over.
    04-14-10 11:48 AM
    So I got it last night and I have to say that I am not impressed at all. When I had a Berry it made sense to have OM since I needed it to view some sites that the BB browser just could not handle, but with the iPhone and Safari I see no real need for OM on my iPhone. I also did not find it to be faster or even as fast as Safari, IMHO not a good app for the iPhone but a great one for something like the Berry that really needs a second browser.
    04-14-10 02:00 PM
    Tried it. Deleted it.

It's faster than Safari but it sucks at rendering pages. And the zoom function sucks compared to Safari's.

Garbage app.
    04-14-10 02:19 PM
    Opera seems to bypass my company WiFi security. As in I can access any website through Opera and not get blocked.
    04-14-10 02:30 PM
    despite its shortcomings, not bad for an initial release. using safari is like carefully speed-walking through a china shop, whereas using opera is like running balls to the wall knocking everything over.
    hahahahaha. Nice!

Opera seems to bypass my company WiFi security. As in I can access any website through Opera and not get blocked.
    That might be the only good thing I've read about it so far.
    04-14-10 02:46 PM
    Opera uses server-side compression, would that have anything to do with my company WiFi not recognizing the websites?
    04-14-10 06:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD