"Copy and Paste on the iPhone 3GS. The most powerful iPhone yet" trumps the 30s television advert.

Really? Their headline feature is one of the most basic functions of an OS that has been developed?
    07-16-09 01:55 PM
    After 10 years with an Apple fanatic and being very familiar with their products (our house is full of them), I would call it genius. Just another cup of Kool Aid.
    07-16-09 02:09 PM
    It is a basic feature when it comes to all smartphones abroad, but for the iPhone, copy and paste, video, and the processor are all advancements.

I am biased being an Apple/Mac user and fan, but how do you think RIM would tout the Storm 9550's WiFi and [God willing] stable OS? Apple fans would be saying "Hey, we've had WiFi and a flashy, smooth OS since day one!"

They are improvements and are marketed as such.
    Last edited by Riders On The Storm; 07-16-09 at 02:38 PM.
    07-16-09 02:17 PM
    I don't think they're desperate at all, but yeah it's a well known fact the phone was missing extremely basic features for a long, long time.
    07-16-09 03:49 PM
    the basic feature has been around yes but it very smoothly copies anything. like you coukd copy a whole web page or a map off google and email it it does work amazing is it a new feature to smartphones? of course not but it is a step up from basic copy and paste. if i were apple i think the amped up processor and memory is more of a feature for the 3gs
    07-16-09 03:55 PM
    Considering iPhones sales are sky rocketing right now, I think its far from desperate.
    07-16-09 03:55 PM
    I call it a fail but its working lol.
    Yes, a fail that sold over 1 million units in three days...

Apple moves one million iPhone 3G S units in a weekend -- just in time for Steve's return
    07-16-09 03:56 PM
    Yes, a fail that sold over 1 million units in three days...

Apple moves one million iPhone 3G S units in a weekend -- just in time for Steve's return

Exactly!!! And Apple stores still had lines out the door 2 weeks after release.
    07-16-09 03:57 PM
    I don't think they're desperate, no.

But as far as selling so many units within a certain period of time goes, it took
    them a while to reach one milliion of the original iPhone because of their
    ridiculous price.

Now here where I work, if I wanted to sell 400 units of Levi's from Friday -
    Sunday, which I would never normally accomplish, I could by putting them at
    $9.99
    07-16-09 04:00 PM
    I don't think they're desperate, no.

But as far as selling so many units within a certain period of time goes, it took
    them a while to reach one milliion of the original iPhone because of their
    ridiculous price.

Now here where I work, if I wanted to sell 400 units of Levi's from Friday -
    Sunday, which I would never normally accomplish, I could by putting them at
    $9.99

Yes price is a key. The original was $599 for 8 GB's and now for $199 you get 16 GB's or $299 you get 32 GB's
    07-16-09 04:06 PM
    One thing that should be considered though, this would be around the 2 year mark of original iPhone customers, so possibly a large percent of the 1 million sold could be those who are renewing their contracts. Either way it sells.

It could be possible Mr. Jobs & Co. had this planned. He is, IMHO, an excellent CEO. He understands the consumer for the most part and does an excellent job creating products that sell. Apple might have had these features ready to sell right away, but then delayed them knowing out of the gate the iPhone would sell, because what it did do, it excelled at. I am not suggesting a conspiracy, I just believe Apple knows how to develop a product, and then keep its products selling.
    Last edited by Riders On The Storm; 07-16-09 at 04:12 PM.
    07-16-09 04:09 PM
    One thing that should be considered though, this would be around the 2 year mark of original iPhone customers, so possibly a large percent of the 1 million sold could be those who are renewing their contracts. Either way it sells.

It could be possible Mr. Jobs & Co. pulled a fast one. He is, IMHO, an excellent CEO. He understands the consumer for the most part and does an excellent job creating products that sell. Apple might have had these features ready to sell right away, but then delayed them knowing out of the gate the iPhone would sell, because what it did do, it excelled at. I am not suggesting a conspiracy, I believe Apple knows how to develop a product, and then keep its products selling.
    i like this theory and could be very well possible!
    07-16-09 04:11 PM
    i like this theory and could be very well possible!
    When I was at Apple waiting in line to pick mine up(10 days after original release date), most people were current 3G users paying early upgrade to get the 3Gs. I would say about 90% of them.
    07-16-09 04:16 PM
    I think they are selling so many because of resale. People are getting $600 a phone on auction sites.
    07-16-09 04:31 PM
    "Copy and Paste on the iPhone 3GS. The most powerful iPhone yet" trumps the 30s television advert.

Really? Their headline feature is one of the most basic functions of an OS that has been developed?
    Their copy and paste is better than any mobile phone. Apple doesn't only innovate, but they also recreate and perfect.

There is a big difference with copy and paste on my Bold, Storm or 8900 than my iPhone. I found it a lot easier on the iPhone.

3.0 is available to all devices with certain features not being available. 5.0 on the BB isn't even going to touch anything that isn't a touchscreen or have a trackball ball. So it's not just marketing, it's being fair and consistent. Apple isn't forcing customers to buy the new product for a majority of the improvements and/or new features. Everyone else, that's what they do. They stop supporting old products or barely support them.
    07-16-09 04:47 PM
    The numbers are what matter-

If they're selling, and selling well-

That makes it genius.

The best advertisers can sell you anything, regardless of the product.

If I'm able to sell you a turd, does that make me desperate?

No.

It makes me a ridiculously gifted salesman.
    Last edited by xxxxpradaxxxx; 07-16-09 at 05:00 PM.
    07-16-09 04:54 PM
    Their copy and paste is better than any mobile phone. Apple doesn't only innovate, but they also recreate and perfect.

There is a big difference with copy and paste on my Bold, Storm or 8900 than my iPhone. I found it a lot easier on the iPhone.

3.0 is available to all devices with certain features not being available. 5.0 on the BB isn't even going to touch anything that isn't a touchscreen or have a trackball ball. So it's not just marketing, it's being fair and consistent. Apple isn't forcing customers to buy the new product for a majority of the improvements and/or new features. Everyone else, that's what they do. They stop supporting old products or barely support them.

I agree.

Their cut/copy/paste is amazing.

You have to see it, to believe it.

It's definitely not just cut/copy/paste.
    07-16-09 04:55 PM
    I agree.

Their cut/copy/paste is amazing.

You have to experience it, to believe it.

It's definitely not just cut/copy/paste.
    Updated
    07-16-09 05:10 PM
    Meh, since the lack of cut and paste was fairly well known, and a possible deal breaker for some, I think they are just getting the word out that not only can you cut and paste text, but also pretty much anything else.

There has GOT to be an interesting back-story as to why it took so long. MMS as well.
    07-16-09 06:20 PM
    Meh, since the lack of cut and paste was fairly well known, and a possible deal breaker for some, I think they are just getting the word out that not only can you cut and paste text, but also pretty much anything else.

There has GOT to be an interesting back-story as to why it took so long. MMS as well.
    My guess is how they were going to implement it. A device with one button, kind of hard. Also, Apple doesn't like to just add what the others have, they like to improve upon it or spice it up by changing it or doing something extra. In this case, you have the undo option by shaking it, lol. That is pretty sick IMHO.
    07-16-09 06:59 PM
    My guess is how they were going to implement it. A device with one button, kind of hard. Also, Apple doesn't like to just add what the others have, they like to improve upon it or spice it up by changing it or doing something extra. In this case, you have the undo option by shaking it, lol. That is pretty sick IMHO.
    yea the shake to erase text is pretty cool. i think it did take a bit longer liek you said since they wanted to improve on it and to be able to do it without needing a dedicated button.

although on a side note force close of apps on 3.0 now is a pain wish you could toggle off voice control.
    07-16-09 08:41 PM
    I realized when I first found out about force quit, I did it all the time. Then I even forgot it existed. Lol. I actually use the voice control.
    07-17-09 12:30 AM
    Genius. I know people keep harping on Apple for things like that fact the cut/copy and paste needing to be out sooner. But the fact of the matter is they want to do it, and right. Best Copy/Paste I have ever seen. Steve Job's knows what people want.
    07-17-09 01:23 AM
    I agree I think Apple is far from desperate. You cant be desperate moving the numbers of iphones theyre moving. Desperate is companies like Sprint and Palm, thats desperation where youre sliding into bankruptcy and losing customers/loyalty like water running out of a bathtub.

Apple is simply, and always has been, great at marketing.

And the copy and paste on the iphone is better than on any other platform Ive used as well. Try copy and pasting on a WM touchscreen, its a nightmare!!! It's basically a fight to get the right spot touched and dragged to the right spot. And BB's method with holding shift and dragging the scrollball is decent, but not very intuitive or easy to get big chunks of text or to copy pictures.

Apple just did it right- its intuitive, easy to use, and just works great. The resizing the copy window like editing a picture was just a brilliant idea for copy/past no one has done yet. Apple took a basic feature and totally changed the way people do it.

Just wait until you start seeing other platforms copy this, just like most of the other copies we see of the iphone look/a feature on other platforms. You can definitely see Apple changed the smartphone game by how many companies are copying the UI look or a feature from the iphone.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 07-17-09 at 10:01 AM.
    07-17-09 09:57 AM
    Desperate or not, they beat Blackberry at its own game. The copy/paste feature on the Storm is just a fail.
    07-17-09 10:21 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD