I read on Yahoo this morning that Apple is making the charging/docking port smaller on the upcoming iPhone 5.

It was reports that accessory sale declined the past year.

How genius is Apple on this one - change the phone to drive more money through repurchasing of docking stations or music stations (Bose, Sony, etc.). You have to believe that Apple gets a cut of all non-Apple accessories.

You have to love the tactics, however; like the report said, this may hurt them from a client stand point.

Sent from Bold 9930 #blackberrybychoice
    07-24-12 11:32 AM
    Or you could spend a lot less and buy an adapter - which is what I'm sure a lot of people will do rather than ditching their Bose and iHome systems.
    07-24-12 11:37 AM
    ...or people can get with the times and adopt the already pretty old and, for all intents and purposes, standard micro usb port...

07-24-12 11:55 AM
    This has everything to do with Blackberry discussion.
    Somehow.
    MicroUSB is a standard format. If APPL goes (again) with a new proprietary format ...
    07-24-12 12:29 PM
    Samsung went with microusb, and it has audio out. It is going to be hard for Apple to keep going with their own port, they aren't the main contender anymore.
    07-24-12 12:34 PM
    Do people even care? People who wants the new iphone will still get it, and people will buy adapter for it. Just like when apple went micro sim, people bought adapters when they need the mini sim again. Technology is constantly evolving, the 30 pin connector has to change at some point of time, sooner or later. To me, its no different from RIM going from mini usb to micro usb.
    shaleem likes this.
    07-24-12 12:48 PM
    Unless all manufacturers start using the same style ports, most people expect to purchase new accessories if they purchase a new device. Not having to is just a bonus. I usually sell all my extras when I sell my own phone anyway so it doesnt really matter.
    07-24-12 03:55 PM
    I think they might also be doing it to put the headphone jack on the bottom.
    07-24-12 04:10 PM
    Or you could spend a lot less and buy an adapter - which is what I'm sure a lot of people will do rather than ditching their Bose and iHome systems.
    First, I am not sure why this is in the BB general discussion a mod should of moved it by now. Secondly, who cares I don't own any apple products. Thirdly, just because apple releases the iphone 5 doesn't mean you have to get it, also if you buy something new, isn't it normal to buy new stuff for it?

An adapter can only go so far, and may cost 10-30, as people have special direct connections to their speakers and other devices.

Apple is just making money hand over fist, Samsung did the same thing for the HDMI micro port on the S3, they are selling adapters.

the real question is when will they go to micro usb and stop gouging their customers, or is it the opposite, when will their customers stop overpaying for the Apple name? Will this awaken some people? Make them sell their ithings, stop going to starbucks, and put their sandals away and get some shoes on their feet?
    07-24-12 04:16 PM
    07-24-12 04:27 PM
    You have to believe that Apple gets a cut of all non-Apple accessories.
    They get 10% of "made for iPod" accessories.

That being said if people are still using the dock connector rather than bluetooth/wireless they're a bit stupid.

The connector doesn't matter to me anymore, never use it except to charge at night.
    07-24-12 04:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD