....because that's an option. An expensive one. Lol.
    06-11-12 04:09 PM
    just checked out on Craigslist, the previous 2010 13" macbook pro's base price was $1,199, and ppl on craiglist is selling them today at around $800 on avg... so the value depreciates by 15~20%/year
    06-11-12 04:12 PM
    Excellent siri in your car can now tell you the Android phone is better than the latest toy to be released.

Same ol boring os, little hardware upgrades. Bahh bahhh.

Next please!
    06-11-12 04:18 PM
    just checked out on Craigslist, the previous 2010 13" macbook pro's base price was $1,199, and ppl on craiglist is selling them today at around $800 on avg... so the value depreciates by 15~20%/year
    That's one of the things I love about Apple. I'm a bit of a gadget fanatic, but I always sell my old items if I plan to purchase I new one. To date I've never been disappointed with the money I've been able to get back.
    pilsbury likes this.
    06-11-12 04:20 PM
    I lol'd reading this whole thread. Even the title.

But really, what does this have to do with iOS?
    lordnorms and tjseaman like this.
    06-11-12 04:36 PM
    So far its the same old from Apple, so I dont know why people are going crazy over this stuff.
    I do. I'll give you a hint.
    Imhotep.... Imhotep...

Totally unimpressed with what came out of the conference. IOS 6 big announcements are an unproven map and navigation and Facebook integration?
    Toodeurep likes this.
    06-11-12 05:11 PM
    Yes the price blew my mind too.
    $2199.
    Are you frackin' kidding' me?!?!?!

WHY?!?!?!?!?!?

OK, I've been happy up to now...that price is obscene.

I can tile my laundry room for that amount of money. Forget that.
    I was thinking about getting one when they came out, been saving a little. No way am I paying $2500 after all is said and done for a computer. I'd rather get a quality windows for $1000 and blow the rest on crap tablets, phone upgrades, and booze. Much more fun and entertaining.

I think Apple is playing a little "let's see how much they're willing to spend" price experiment on the public.
    Chrisy, Toodeurep and homer1475 like this.
    06-11-12 06:57 PM
    Considering how much longer they last and keep they're value, that price isn't that bad to me. I've had my MacBook about 3.5 years and it's still awesome. Never had an issue.

Had to buy a windows 7 laptop for a college course ($600 bucks) and I had it 3 months before It completely went to h3ll in a hand basket. It currently has a number of virus despite all the protective crap i was suckered into buying! It's a pain in the arse after 1 year and I didn't get one response on Craigslist when i listed it for $300 at 6 months old! $2K MacBook Pro? Yes please!
    Useless comparison..... I have 4 Windows 7 Laptops at home... never had virus or any other issues with it.... one is 3 years old and runs like a top....

Cannot say the same for my Mac Air Book Model:MC968LL/A... been for servicing 3 times in the last 4 months.... first... hard drive went..... then would not boot up... ram failure and then the hard drive decided to die a second time....

My point is to come on boards and use a personal experience as a guidline for what is good and what is not simply does not work.... what you posted is your experience and what I posted was mine... Do I think Mac Air books are bad laptops... of course not..... but why you lump all PC laptops as the sam is beyond me.....
    06-11-12 07:25 PM
    Yeah $2199 is expensive but looking at the specs it's a fair price. Apple is smart in that it's taking control of mid to high end laptop market and letting Acer, Lenovo, Dell, and HP duke it out for the lower end stuff.
    It is pretty cool but really too expensive for the masses so unless more people have throw away spending money they won't be selling a lot of them.
    06-11-12 08:00 PM
    It is pretty cool but really too expensive for the masses so unless more people have throw away spending money they won't be selling a lot of them.
    Right, and that's how Apple has decided to operate in the computer business. They have a range of notebooks (that are all beautifully constructed btw) at prices from $1000 - $3000. For people who are willing to pay for that, that's their market. Everyone else (which is most people) can buy their generic Windows laptop.

And Apple continues to make more profit than any of those companies that are making those plastic $500 computers. That's the bottom line (literally) for Apple. So as a business strategy, it clearly works.

I hate to make the car analogy (because it's admittedly flawed) but think Porsche/Audi/Mercedes/BMW versus Kia/Hyundai/etc.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 06-11-12 at 08:13 PM.
    06-11-12 08:10 PM
    Right, and that's how Apple has decided to operate in the computer business. They have a range of notebooks (that are all beautifully constructed btw) at prices from $1000 - $3000. For people who are willing to pay for that, that's their market. Everyone else (which is most people) can buy their generic Windows laptop.

And Apple continues to make more profit than any of those companies that are making those plastic $500 computers. That's the bottom line (literally) for Apple. So as a business strategy, it clearly works.

I hate to make the car analogy (because it's admittedly flawed) but think Porsche/Audi/Mercedes/BMW versus Kia/Hyundai/etc.
    Correct and no wonder apple has so much money with those kind of profit margins.
    axeman1000 likes this.
    06-11-12 08:39 PM
    The new macbook pro models will be 1/4 thinner than its previous model, support retina display, 200 new updates on the new OSX, and so many more!!!!!!!!!!!!! CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    This is a so-so day for Apple as reported by many critics. Give me $2600 for a PC, especially when Windows 8 arrives, and it would blow this Apple product away. Apple computers have always been way over priced. Try to curb your enthusiasm - Samsung and others are also going way slimmer. There really isn't too much in the list of changes to get to exited about, especially at the ridiculous price. Good day or bad day for Apple? I would call it a little impact day and they will definitely lose more ground to Samsung in the smartphone area. The lack of any substantial news on the smartphone side leaves a large windows for RIM to make inroads if they can deliver BB10 on time.
    06-11-12 09:43 PM
    What would blow my mind is if RIM developed a super net book running QNX. That would be a mind blower!
    06-11-12 09:55 PM
    The OP's mind clearly had a faulty fuse
    lordnorms likes this.
    06-11-12 10:11 PM
    Useless comparison..... I have 4 Windows 7 Laptops at home... never had virus or any other issues with it.... one is 3 years old and runs like a top....

Cannot say the same for my Mac Air Book Model:MC968LL/A... been for servicing 3 times in the last 4 months.... first... hard drive went..... then would not boot up... ram failure and then the hard drive decided to die a second time....

My point is to come on boards and use a personal experience as a guidline for what is good and what is not simply does not work.... what you posted is your experience and what I posted was mine... Do I think Mac Air books are bad laptops... of course not..... but why you lump all PC laptops as the sam is beyond me.....
    Keyword "my personal experience" = why I prefer Mac.

Your personal experience = why you prefer, well...whatever you prefer.

Not sure what the issue is...
    06-11-12 10:28 PM
    As noted, Apple products do retain value. Resale value is important to me.

Even though I think the price is ridiculous, if I had disposable cash, it's something I would consider. The last two Windows machines that I have owned have been embarrassing (albeit cheap) failures.
    06-11-12 10:39 PM
    I have to give Apple credit where credit is due. Apple is superior at one thing and one thing only and that is getting people to shell out exhorbitant amounts of money for marginal to mediocre products. For that Apple should take a bow.
    SCrid2000, Pete6, kbz1960 and 5 others like this.
    06-11-12 10:42 PM
    Take a look on Craigslist at all the MacBook Pros that popped up today. They won't have any problem selling them. The 13" will be the volume leader yes, but they'll sell a lot fo the 15" ones too.
    06-11-12 11:39 PM
    I have to give Apple credit where credit is due. Apple is superior at one thing and one thing only and that is getting people to shell out exhorbitant amounts of money for marginal to mediocre products. For that Apple should take a bow.
    I wouldn't call them mediocre.
    06-12-12 12:04 AM
    I wouldn't call them mediocre.
    I would, but that's ok - agree to disagree
    If we all had the same opinions the world would be a boring place.
    06-12-12 12:07 AM
    Whoever has many viruses on your computer... Learn how to use a computer, including your antivirus software.

OP - man, you're impressed easily. Facebook finally got integrated. You must be a really big fan.

Typical apple users...
    06-12-12 12:38 AM
    Gone were the days where you can simply just buy a Dell/HP laptop and feels comfortable using them in Starbucks...
    06-12-12 01:13 AM
    Gone were the days where you can simply just buy a Dell/HP laptop and feels comfortable using them in Starbucks...
    I do......
    06-12-12 01:16 AM

I think they should have taken this same approach with their mobile handsets instead of saturating the market. They've made their phones a commodity device.
    06-12-12 01:35 AM
    Considering how much longer they last and keep they're value, that price isn't that bad to me. I've had my MacBook about 3.5 years and it's still awesome. Never had an issue.

I see the value differently. I have a G4 Mac Mini that Apple stopped providing OS updates on a long time ago. With its proprietary hardware there's not a lot that can be done with it even though the hardware works perfectly.

If it was an older PC -- so long as it had plenty of memory I could put any number of newer Linux distros on and still use it.

Yeah the old Mac OS on it runs fine but is not secure. And Safari crashes out like crazy on modern websites. Safari updates being linked to the OS -- nothing can be done.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9930 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by southlander; 06-12-12 at 01:51 AM.
    06-12-12 01:46 AM
184 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD