If BlackBerry did this it would be the end of the company.

Apple's latest iOS will brick your iPhone if the fingerprint scanner is deemed to have been "compromised". That includes being jarred after being dropped. Check it out:

?Error 53? fury mounts as Apple software update threatens to kill your iPhone 6 | Money | The Guardian

Does anyone see this as a good thing? Is this security or planned (enforced) obsolescence?

At least with BlackBerrys, if you crush a screen or damage a keyboard you have a chance to buy the parts, watch a video, and have a chance of salvaging your device yourself.

Posted via CB10
    TCB on Z10 likes this.
    04-17-16 07:46 AM
    im sure they will issue a software fix in a hurry for that. they don't take months (like BB) to get new OSes out
    04-17-16 07:57 AM
    What is the point of this post? Is it supposed to be another "iPhones suck, buy BlackBerry stuff instead!" post? Or another "people will one day see the error of their ways and come back to BlackBerry" post?
    04-17-16 08:19 AM
    Just a couple more similar posts and Apple will be out of business. Guaranteed.

LOL.
    04-17-16 08:23 AM
    Its been patched in a subsequent update. Now it just disables Touch ID if you use 3rd party hardware.
    LazyEvul likes this.
    04-17-16 08:55 AM
    Old news

Posted via CB10
    04-17-16 08:56 AM
    MikeX74, Neither.

There is an internal logic to what Apple has done. I thought it was well explained in the Apple response at the end of the article. It shows the damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't aspect of security.

Apple will survive this "feature" and its consequences. I don't believe BlackBerry could.

Posted via CB10
    bh7171 likes this.
    04-17-16 10:26 AM
    MikeX74, Neither.

There is an internal logic to what Apple has done. I thought it was well explained in the Apple response at the end of the article. It shows the damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't aspect of security.

Apple will survive this "feature" and its consequences. I don't believe BlackBerry could.

Posted via CB10
    That's the advantage you have when your brand and reputation are strong.
    04-17-16 10:31 AM
    That's the advantage you have when your brand and reputation are strong.
    And your advertising budget is substantial enough for the media companies they do business with. But then everyone knows this.. right?

The newest member....Cobalt Classic
    04-17-16 11:34 AM
    If BlackBerry did this it would be the end of the company.

Posted via CB10
    They've done just fine on their own nearly ending the company without this feature.
    LazyEvul likes this.
    04-17-16 11:46 AM
    And your advertising budget is substantial enough for the media companies they do business with. But then everyone knows this.. right?

How did they get this advertising budget?
    TgeekB likes this.
    04-17-16 11:46 AM
    Is this security or planned (enforced) obsolescence?
    False dilemma. It's a bug that Apple fixed weeks ago.
    04-17-16 11:52 AM
    False dilemma. It's a bug that Apple fixed weeks ago.
    Don't ruin the "I'm still mad Apple took all of our users away" party.
    LazyEvul and johnny_bravo72 like this.
    04-17-16 11:55 AM
    moved to apple...
    04-17-16 11:59 AM

Ah. The old "Apple buys good press" trope. Just once, when someone says this, I'd love for them to come with actual proof.
    LazyEvul likes this.
    04-17-16 12:08 PM
    Ah. The old "Apple buys good press" trope. Just once, when someone says this, I'd love for them to come with actual proof.
    Have you never heard the term "don't bite the hand that feeds you"? Are you not aware of the advertising budget for the likes of an iPhone or Samsung. If it was your business and you benefited monetarily would you risk loosing that revenue stream with negative news? It's unspoken unless you are unaware how business decisions and relationships form and are maintained.

The White Knight-BlackBerry Passport
    04-17-16 04:04 PM
    bh7171, this is the last thing I'll say to you on the subject. You're insinuating that part of Apple's marketing efforts includes paying for positive press. Prove it, if you can. Prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that Apple does this. Without proof, all you're doing is making yourself look foolish.
    04-17-16 07:53 PM
    Have you never heard the term "don't bite the hand that feeds you"? Are you not aware of the advertising budget for the likes of an iPhone or Samsung. If it was your business and you benefited monetarily would you risk loosing that revenue stream with negative news? It's unspoken unless you are unaware how business decisions and relationships form and are maintained.

The White Knight-BlackBerry Passport
    You have no clue how the media industry works. It'd be a ****storm of epic proportions if what you were saying were true, which is exactly why Apple, nor anyone else, has bothered pursuing it. Many a journalist would be happy to quit their jobs and leak that story to another publication, because a scoop like that will land you a cozy job just about anywhere.

That's not to say Apple doesn't try to exercise a degree of control over media, as does any other major corporation, but it's done in more subtle and nuanced ways - like controlling who has access to interviews, review units, and events. And even that has backlashed at times. Anything more overt would be a PR nightmare, for both Apple and any media outlets involved.
    Last edited by LazyEvul; 04-17-16 at 11:47 PM.
    04-17-16 09:58 PM
    If anyone does not think Apple (or any successful company) uses their monetary influence via advertising, marketing, PR, legislative and lobbying efforts to gain favorable outlooks on their products to result in higher sales and profits for shareholders then I am at a loss as to the lack of your understanding of business. Prior to buying our business I spent 12 years in PR with the US's largest dental ins carrier and whether it's subtle or not you had better believe there is intent in every calculated move and relationship made to increase sales and the products perception.

04-18-16 12:24 PM
    That's not exactly what was said. bh7171 was talking about Blackberry's ability to mount an advertising campaign.

I'm not in advertising, however I do remember a case with Motorcycling magazine where the major helmet suppliers pulled their advertising in response to an article pointing out that cheap European spec helmets had lower impact g-forces than the expensive Snell spec ones. I suspect that this led to the removal of the editor. (The points made in the article were correct and the Snell spec was changed in its next revision.)

So, I'll agree that no one is stupid enough to exchange cash or significant quantities of goods for favourable editorial content. But, keeping your advertising supporters happy will always be a 'key performance indicator' between ownership and editorial interests.
    04-18-16 12:33 PM
    At least with BlackBerrys, if you crush a screen or damage a keyboard you have a chance to buy the parts, watch a video, and have a chance of salvaging your device yourself.

Posted via CB10
    Would you mind sending me the link to purchase a new keyboard for the Priv, and the video to replace it myself? Thanks!
    04-19-16 07:07 AM