iphone 5 = iphone 4 with non-conductive coating on the antenna.
    +lte..............
    07-18-10 10:18 PM
    the profit alone on the iphone is 5 times over what a bumper would be ... so they sell 3 million iphones at 400.00 profit = 1 billion 200 million dollars profit
    I quit reading as soon as you showed a clear lack of understanding of business.

There's a LOT of other costs that go into a product in addition to the raw parts cost (what was it, $188?). There's little things like the cost of the factories and labor, cost of transportation, cost of research/development, cost of the iOS software team, costs associated with all of the Apple operations in the US such as retail stores, Genius Bar, telephone tech support, management, marketing, operation support, contributions to healthcare and benefits for all those employees, etc. All of which is part of the price of every object sold by Apple.

Does Apple make a profit on each phone? Of course. Is it $400? Not possible. How much is the per-phone profit? Only the internal financial analysts know and they'd prefer to keep their jobs so they're not telling.
    07-19-10 08:19 AM
    Good stuff stuaw11

I think it would be best if Apple just designed their phones such that they don't require bumpers even if the phone looks less sexy.
    Why do you continually think that all iPhone 4's need or require a bumper or cover to function? Mine doesn't and I know many now who do not need bumpers or the sort to use the phone just fine. Why continue to spread the FUD, do some people have problems yes, do ALL of them need a bumper, no.

Do you own an iPhone 4, NO, so how the **** do you know, YouTube?
    Last edited by Entertainment72; 07-19-10 at 08:46 AM.
    07-19-10 08:43 AM
    I quit reading as soon as you showed a clear lack of understanding of business.

There's a LOT of other costs that go into a product in addition to the raw parts cost (what was it, $188?). There's little things like the cost of the factories and labor, cost of transportation, cost of research/development, cost of the iOS software team, costs associated with all of the Apple operations in the US such as retail stores, Genius Bar, telephone tech support, management, marketing, operation support, contributions to healthcare and benefits for all those employees, etc. All of which is part of the price of every object sold by Apple.

Does Apple make a profit on each phone? Of course. Is it $400? Not possible. How much is the per-phone profit? Only the internal financial analysts know and they'd prefer to keep their jobs so they're not telling.
    I beg to differ. If the phone costs $188 and theyre $599/699 then theyre making a raw $412/512 profit respectively. The carrier pays those 599/699 prices and then discounts them down to whatever the 2 year pricing is.

Lets not forget Apple ALSO takes a profit of the iphone data plans as well. So even so, lets say $50 from each phone goes to all the positions/marketing/etc you listed in Apple. They STILL are taking a raw $360/$460 profit not counting whatever % of the iphone data plans they take as well.

Theyre making a HEFTY profit off each phone either way you cut it, whether we know the exact numbers or not.
    07-19-10 09:43 AM
    Why do you continually think that all iPhone 4's need or require a bumper or cover to function? Mine doesn't and I know many now who do not need bumpers or the sort to use the phone just fine. Why continue to spread the FUD, do some people have problems yes, do ALL of them need a bumper, no.

I went to the Apple store and verified that data transmission stopped by merely touching the black mark with one finger. No death grip required.

It's hard to avoid touching that area. My fingers are almost always resting on it in various casual holding positions. Apple tried to make this about the absurdity of death grips but did not demonstrate that other phones have weak spots relevant to common holding positions as the iPhone 4.

I'm curious to buy one just to see but am going to wait until we know more. I trust Anandtech, Consumer Reports, CNet and Engadget when they say and demonstrate that there is an issue, even though it's not fully defined. I am sure testing will continue.

Paradoxically, real world reports from actual owners are often the least credible.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-19-10 10:10 AM

Paradoxically, real world reports from actual owners are often the least credible.

Not to get into a pissing match, but that is about the dumbest thing I've heard so far. Actual users with real world experiences are least credible?
    07-19-10 10:17 AM
    I beg to differ. If the phone costs $188 and theyre $599/699 then theyre making a raw $412/512 profit respectively.
    Go back to the original press release. The $188 is the estimated price of the discrete components and is not the "cost of the phone." The press release specifically states "Teardown costs account only for components and do not include other expenses such as manufacturing, software, royalties and licensing fees"

You're welcome to differ of course, but since your entire argument is built on an incorrect assumption, there's no real point in further discussion.
    07-19-10 11:27 AM
    I went to the Apple store and verified that data transmission stopped by merely touching the black mark with one finger. No death grip required.

It's hard to avoid touching that area. My fingers are almost always resting on it in various casual holding positions. Apple tried to make this about the absurdity of death grips but did not demonstrate that other phones have weak spots relevant to common holding positions as the iPhone 4.

I'm curious to buy one just to see but am going to wait until we know more. I trust Anandtech, Consumer Reports, CNet and Engadget when they say and demonstrate that there is an issue, even though it's not fully defined. I am sure testing will continue.

Well, when Jobs showed the video of the death grip on the other 3 top phones, we were like "gasp! I didn't know other phones has the same issue" but you gotta do the death grip to cause it to happen and honestly who holds their phone like that? The comparison he made is being overlooked and like previously said, overblown and he made the media go ballistic and the major companies (RIM, Nokia, etc.) having to write up a response.

Here's a link I posted in another thread, they specifically said they can't recommend it:
    IPhone 4G: Antenna controversy grows | Daily News Engine

However, you just lost credibility with that final sentence, consumers speak louder.

PS- hm it's been a month and my device model still hasn't updated?
    Last edited by sookster54; 07-19-10 at 11:35 AM.
    07-19-10 11:31 AM
    Steve Jobs admitted it was an issue and good if you do not have a problem but if Apple is saying there is a problem and they are working on a fix we do not need youtube to know this. Tried as he did he wanted to bring the Smartphone world down with the iPhone 4 but most of us are more educated than Apple would like us to be.
    07-19-10 11:44 AM
    Tried as he did he wanted to bring the Smartphone world down with the iPhone 4 but most of us are more educated than Apple would like us to be.
    You mean the 3 million already sold?

Or the numerous people still waiting to gets theirs?

Or the 20 or so other countries set to release in 10 days?

Name one other phone that sold 3 million in 3 weeks. Sounds like it is "bringing the smartphone world down" in terms of sales and people are gobbling them up faster than Apple can produce them even almost a month later.
    07-19-10 02:38 PM
    When you put a bumper case on the iphone 4 it looks the same as the iphone 3gs with a bumper case on. Why the change in design then? I think they should've kept it the same, just change the internals.

07-20-10 03:52 AM
186 ... 678
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD